Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pronunciations that drive you mad

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

then you must be in your 90's, and lived on a road with the black and tans

I am not in my 90s. I go to military functions from time to time. No lieutenant calls himself lootenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The Nooze - Instead of the News

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

My mom says book rhymes with Luke, the same with cook. Drives me mad but i suffer in silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Not pronunciation but it still annoys me:

The growing propensity of advertisements stating "2 times" instead of "twice".
    This new gizmo is 2 times more powerful than brand x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

Chuck and Larry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

then you must be in your 90's, and lived on a road with the black and tans

I am not in my 90s. I go to military functions from time to time. No lieutenant calls himself lootenant.

I'm 35, have always said lef-tenent. Nothing to do with age and everything to do with American TV influence :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

This one gave me a laugh today; "Streptococcal throat" being written (not just pronounced but actually WRITTEN) as "Septic cockled throat". LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

People who can't pronounce Ireland correctly, i.e they say Areland :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blzbear

Portugal is commonly pronounced Port-a-gal almost universally in Ireland- even on RTE... It's Port-u-gal....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

The scummers who always say "I trun it over!".
    really? The ****ing word is "threw"!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I seen xyz or I done xyx - no you didn't, you saw xyz or you did xyz.

Also hate when people pronounce their 'th's as 'd' ie. De for the, dere for there, dis for this.

And when 't's mysteriously vanish from the end of words ie. 'i' instead of 'it' or 'wha' instead 'what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Indeed.

And it's aluminium, you daft yanks, not aluminum. No wonder everyone hates you.

Actually, it started out being pronounced and spelt 'aluminum', from latin. Twas the British who decided to start saying 'aluminium'.

joeperry wrote: »
    People who can't pronounce Ireland correctly, i.e they say Areland :confused:

That's a hell of a lot of people who don't pronounce Ireland correctly so. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

"Alre" instead of "Alright"

I bleedin drives me Scarleh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

This is hard to admit... But this is one that I do.
    I'm trying reeeeally hard to stop it.

I call penguins... pengwengs...

And I FWAwKinG hate myself for it.
    I'm such a vile, ignorant cunnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

People pronouncing words like "huge" or "humour" like "yooooge and "yoooomor".

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

blzbear wrote: »
    Portugal is commonly pronounced Port-a-gal almost universally in Ireland- even on RTE... It's Port-u-gal....

It's far worse than that, If you listen closely, their actually saying 'Porch-iggle'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Sea Filly wrote: »
    That's a hell of a lot of people who don't pronounce Ireland correctly so. :confused:

For me it'd be more of a non-standard pronunciation than an incorrect one, but that pronunciation does annoy me.

I'd always say "Eyereland" because, well, it's an "I" :).

But you're right, a lot of people nowadays pronounce it "Arrland," so I'd hesitate to say it's wrong.

It reminds me of the way lots of people now pronounce "our" like "arr."
    There's a guy on the already-annoying Heineken or Carlsberg Euro 2012 ad who says "We'd change the name of arr local!"
    Really annoys me, but then, it seems to be becoming the standard pronunciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

But you're right, a lot of people nowadays pronounce it "Arrland," so I'd hesitate to say it's wrong.

Not pronunciation but does it piss anyone else off when Brits go on about Eire? You don't say Italia or Deutschland - it's Ireland you gob****es. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Lapin wrote: »
    Not a pronunciation, but the growing occurance of people starting a sentence with the word 'so' drives me nuts.

Happens a lot with new threads here too - Examples

So, I'm heading to Twickenham next weekend and realised my passport.....

So I was sitting in Knock Airport after the long weekend at home....

So last night, the kids are in bed, my wife and myself are watching "game of thrones".....

Cut it out FFS - No need for it. :mad:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stand it any more!

My wife and I. It's "My wife and I"

• Advertisement

I'd always say "Eyereland" because, well, it's an "I" :).

I rarely here people pronoucing it EYErland. It was ever thus. I don't think ARRland is wrong in any way.

I rarely here people pronoucing it EYErland. I don't think ARRland is wrong in any way.

Are you in Dublin? I think the Arrland pronunciation is more common with Dublin accents, as it comes more naturally to those with the accent, I'd say.

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I think Eyerland is still the most common pronunciation here in Galway, though I hear plenty of Arrlands as well.

Alternatively, everyone you know might be a pirate :pac:.

Are you in Dublin? I think the Arrland pronunciation is more common with Dublin accents, as it comes more naturally to those with the accent, I'd say.

Nope, I'm from the West.

Nope, I'm from the West.

I think I'm just out of touch and behind the times with my pronunciations so. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I wish there was a happy medium between the revolting American "EYE-er-land" and the more comfortable "Ar-land", but there isn't for me so I go with arland.

I rarely here people pronoucing it EYErland. It was ever thus. I don't think ARRland is wrong in any way.
    Zillah wrote: »
    I wish there was a happy medium between the revolting American "EYE-er-land" and the more comfortable "Ar-land", but there isn't for me so I go with arland.

I heard this song the other day and it struck me that when they're singing "You'll never beat the Irish!" it sounds like how I like to pronounce it:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 prescar

Gaaaaarrrrrdeee....The RTE pronunciation of Gardai.

Ciaran Mullooly by any chance?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

that other dzzzzzzzzope on tv3 pronounces it gorda aaaaargh!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Not really pronunciation but when people say "should of" or that something was "robbed" when they mean stolen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The one I rrrrrreeeally can't stand is EYE-taly and EYE-talian for Italy and Italian.... Like someone said before for "EYE-ran" and "EYE-rak", not all countries beginning with an "I" HAVE to be pronounced as "EYE"!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: .
    I mean, nobody gets confused with India and Indian, or Indonesia!! IT IS NOT THAT DIFFICULT TO LEARN, PEOPLE!!! :D

Oh, and another one: I.D. instead of IDEA...

Advertisement