Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pronunciations that drive you mad

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

LordSutch wrote: »
    You really should watch/listen to the Audio/Video clips I have linked in post#356.
    I did and they were older people talking. Older people would be much more likely to use the British pronunciation(not just in the defence forces, you wont hear too many 70 year olds saying "mom"), it would be interesting to hear from young members in the IDF to see if they still use the British version. Ones I know didn't* but like I say, maybe that was just in civilian speak.?The Irish Left tenant version is almost spat out at speed. Then again the Irish army seems to have it's own accent for some reason I've noticed. A clipped rural accent with harder Dub overtones :confused:

*the main reason I noted it was my father was in WW2 with the Brits(as over 100,000 others were) and he was a Lieutenant and pronounced it as "left" and made a point of it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Its leftenant in the Irish, British, Indian, Pakistani, Australian, New Zealand, South African, Kuwaiti, Emirates, Saudi, Jordanian, Egyptian, Malaysian and God-knows-how-many-other armies. The only army I know that actually switched from the British to the American pronunciation is the Canadians (there are probably others). It may be "wrong" but about a million heavily armed men and women disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Dublin:

'Swolly' does not equal 'swallow'.

'Oy swollied the whole ting down in one!"

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

I love the way Americans say "tube" Theyre like "twooob" and were like "chewb" ah linguistic nuances :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

My girlfriend says bankley instead of balcony. Really annoys me for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yea true enough. It's Italian or Spanish in origin I think. One of the few ranks that isn't French(Captain, Major, Colonel, General, Sergeant and a few others are all French in origin).

If you're talking about Colonel (you quoted my post about it but then mentioned it in the list of French ones so I amn't sure), it's spelt with an R in modern Spanish. "El coronel no tiene quien le escriba" is a pretty famous Garcia-Marquez book.

I don't know why we spell it Colonel in English but pronounce it "Kurnul", makes no sense! Might be the way it sounded in upper-class British accents back in the day?

The English language is nothing if not confusing :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

"Arr-T-É," "podato," and, even though it's fairly common here, "th" pronounced as "t."

Whats wrong with Arr-T-E. Its the RTE version 'Ore-T-E that bugs the crap outta me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Not a pronunciation, but the growing occurance of people starting a sentence with the word 'so' drives me nuts.

Happens a lot with new threads here too - Examples

So, I'm heading to Twickenham next weekend and realised my passport.....

So I was sitting in Knock Airport after the long weekend at home....

So last night, the kids are in bed, my wife and myself are watching "game of thrones".....

Cut it out FFS - No need for it. :mad:

/ Rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Whats wrong with Arr-T-E. Its the RTE version 'Ore-T-E that bugs the crap outta me!

The sound of it just bugs me, as I've always pronounced the letter "r" as "awr," which I always thought was the most common pronunciation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

The sound of it just bugs me, as I've always pronounced the letter "r" as "awr," which I always thought was the most common pronunciation.

And i always think of it as 'ORE" to rhyme with 'Dublin Four';)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

what actually annoys me more is when people point out weird ways we irish pronounce words and I get all "holy crap :confused: we do say it odd".

like how we say FILL-UM for "film".

and then I say both ways numerous times till life loses all meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

My mum always says the word belgium instead of belgian.

"She is belgium" as opposed to "She is belgian"

Drives me insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

BOOOOOOOK its not pronounced book it's pronounced buck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

people who speak "proper" English

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

Americans who pronounce 'banal' as 'baynil' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭the_big_shmoke

how cork people say here more like "hair"

and how they say town - "taoen"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I trust I'm far too late to be the first to mention American's calling herbs, 'erbs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I trust I'm far too late to be the first to mention American's calling herbs, 'erbs'.

Indeed.

And it's aluminium, you daft yanks, not aluminum. No wonder everyone hates you.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Porsche-A
    Per-gout
    Time for an Irish one Ren-ALT

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Moet is another one. The T isn't silent but I always feel like I'll sound like a prick if a point it out so I force the anger deep down inside where it ferments and will one day burst out in a murderous raaaaage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

dont know if it has been mentioned but when english people try to pronounce certain irish surnames. moran = moranne, mcgrath = mc grat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I used to think the 't' in Ballyfermot was silent.

Makes it sound quite posh actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I used to think the 't' in Ballyfermot was silent.

Makes it sound quite posh actually.

Scarleh for ya! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah Ballyer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

codrulz wrote: »

It's buke if you're from Louth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

mikemac1 wrote: »
    It's buke if you're from Louth :)

Not entirely.

Dundalkers are happier to say "beeuuk" it seems.

(like the French bleu almost)

codrulz wrote: »

???:confused::confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

i have never heard lieutenant being pronounced 'leftenant' in ireland, and thats amongst military personnel aswell.

I have never head it pronounced as anything other than leftenant by military people in Ireland. I lived on a road where 5 lieutentant-colonels lived at one time.

I have never head it pronounced as anything other than leftenant by military people in Ireland. I lived on a road where 5 lieutentant-colonels lived at one time.

then you must be in your 90's, and lived on a road with the black and tans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Indeed.

And it's aluminium, you daft yanks, not aluminum. No wonder everyone hates you.

It was originally named aluminum by Humpry Davy - the guy who first isolated it.
    The problem was that it didn't actually fit with the naming process for the other elements in that series.

Gallium, Indium, Thalium and Aluminum?

Aluminium is the proper name but not the first name it was given.
    Both are officially accepted.

Moet is another one. The T isn't silent but I always feel like I'll sound like a prick if a point it out so I force the anger deep down inside where it ferments and will one day burst out in a murderous raaaaage.

Don't worry about it. I'm not sure what precise rules govern the french T but considering that it was a fairly big country with a diverse population it's no wonder that there are some differences.

I use to live in a town called Biot in the south. The northern french or Parisian tourists would pronounce it "Beyo", as would foreign tourists trying to sound cultured. The non-pretentious tourists would pronounce it "bee-yacht" and ironically that was the closest to the actual pronunciation: "B'yot"

Advertisement