Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pronunciations that drive you mad

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Buttonftw wrote: »
    "H" should be pronounced "haytch". The clue is that there's a H at the start of it.
    Wouble you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

A guy I knew once said bongse instead of bounce...

People who pronounce buoy as booey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Hostable for hospital
    Crips for crisps
    Axed for asked
    Chimbley for chimney

Just a few small ones but annoying ones all the same.

Oh Sweet Jebus, the Hospital & Chimney ones really pi@@ me off..

A few more that annoy me are:

Specific pronounced as pacific...

Necssshhhhtt instead of next

Shteven instead of Steven..

America pronounced Am-ur-ica.. grrrrrrrr

Pen pronounced as Pin or visa versa...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"H" should be pronounced "haytch". The clue is that there's a H at the start of it.

I think you'll find that we're in the minority of English speakers by pronouncing it "haytch." Not that it's wrong to pronounce it that way, but it's much more common to pronounce it "aitch" and if one were forced to choose a standard pronunciation of the word, that would be it.

• Advertisement

Wouble you

"Double wou" I think you'll find.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

On the fish/fishes thing, I never even considered that fishes could be correct, I thought it was just as incorrect as sheeps, but my degree requires me to learn about comparative animal physiology and evolution and other things in which we talk about fish(es), and my lecturers, who study these things and have published multiple papers on these things all say (and write) fishes? :confused:

"Double wou" I think you'll find.

"Double you," I think you'll find.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

The way the hill people in the west always slur their "s" into shwwssst.

Its retarded. Talk properly please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

I think you'll find that we're in the minority of English speakers by pronouncing it "haytch." Not that it's wrong to pronounce it that way, but it's much more common to pronounce it "aitch" and if one were forced to choose a standard pronunciation of the word, that would be it.

I wonder why though?

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    TroaTH :confused:

That's a new one on me, do some people really say TroaTH?

HEIGHT, THROAT, Simples.

Yep, sadly, yes they do. But then, I say 'heighth'. I'm scum! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Yep, sadly, yes they do. But then, I say 'heighth'. I'm scum! :pac:

Nobody is saying that you are scum. just curious about the reversal of the TH, that's all.

my lecturers, who study these things and have published multiple papers on these things all say (and write) fishes?

Yeah one of my lecturers (definitely not the type to make mistakes) says "sperms". I always thought the plural was sperm.

I wonder why though?

I'm not sure really, but I think "haitch" might just suit our accent better than "aitch."

Like our pronunciation of "peugeot:" I think it comes more naturally to an Irish accent, unlike the French and British pronunciation of it.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Nobody is saying that you are scum. just curious about the reversal of the TH, that's all.

I was joking. :) I know I'm fúcking deadly. :pac:

I dunno why I say 'heighth'. I had an uppity sixth class teacher who gave us elocution lessons to try and rid us of our dratted West of Ireland timbre. That might explain it... but I've been saying 'heighth' my whole life. My very non-posh, non-wannabe posh parents say it, and none of my other teachers had such notions as my sixth class one.

But 'throath' sounds REALLY weird to me. My French teacher in school said it and it never stopped sounding strange to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,721 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Brendan97 wrote: »
    Whenever I say scone(pronounced scon) and someone else says "no you say it 'scone'(scone as in cone)", it makes my blood boil because they are infact wrong
    Because its from scotland and they named it Scone(pronounced scon)

its like us pronoucing facebook as fak-book (never heard this happen before its just as an example)
    they named it that so why change it

I don't mind them saying it, its just when they argue to say that I am wrong, when THEY are wrong, is what gets on my nerves

Nobody is wrong, both pronounciations are standard. Check it here:

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=scone&submit=Submit

And here is a little poem:

I asked the maid in dulcet tone

To order me a buttered scone.

The silly girl has been and gone

And ordered me a buttered scone.

Yeah one of my lecturers (definitely not the type to make mistakes) says "sperms". I always thought the plural was sperm.

Isn't there some instances where 'fish' (plural) is the correct word to use, and some where 'fishes' is correct, or something? Maybe kinda like 'people' and 'persons'?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

hoors instead of Whores.

On the fish/fishes thing, I never even considered that fishes could be correct, I thought it was just as incorrect as sheeps, but my degree requires me to learn about comparative animal physiology and evolution and other things in which we talk about fish(es), and my lecturers, who study these things and have published multiple papers on these things all say (and write) fishes? :confused:
    Isn't there some instances where 'fish' (plural) is the correct word to use, and some where 'fishes' is correct, or something? Maybe kinda like 'people' and 'persons'?

I'm not sure, but I think it's more like the difference between "people" and "peoples" ("of the world," for example).

"Fish" is used to talk about more than one fish in general.

But "fishes" is used when you're specifically talking about different types of fish.

For example:
    "There are lots of fish in that pond."
    "The fishes of the Atlantic include cod and herring."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Just heard on the radio right now, incidences in place of incidents. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Thung instead of tongue.

Parmiston instead of parmesan (cheese)

Rubbidge instead of rubbish

Sh-oww-dere instead of CHOWDAH

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

hoors instead of Whores.

Think Nikita off Tallafornia as a prime example :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Yossie might instead of Yosemite.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭seandeas

anything said by that big thick sounding mucker from the RTE News, Ciarán Mullooley. He really should go to elocution lessons and definitely should NOT be on national television with a disgraceful accent like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

seandeas wrote: »
    anything said by that big thick sounding mucker from the RTE News, Ciarán Mullooley. He really should go to elocution lessons and definitely should NOT be on national television with a disgraceful accent like that..

Hmmm, I'm in two minds there, because there are plenty of extreme accents in RTE, for example reyal Duubs Joe Duffy and Brian Dowling (the news correspondent, not the Big Brother guy), as well as Emma MacNamara, who sounds like something out of Ross O'Carroll-Kelly.

Their health correspondent Fergal Bowers, while not having an extreme accent, was on Drivetime the other evening saying "hostipal" over and over again. I had read people's comments about that pronunciation on this thread and had never heard it being used, until I tuned into RTE that evening on the way home! :D

Still though, Ciarán has some accent, God bless him. One pronunciation of his that drives me cracked is when he pronounces words like "meeting" as "meeteeen".

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

English is changing all time with Americanisms slipping in ....

Harassment - people who put emphasis on the ASS :)
    Finance - people saying figh-nance when it should be finn-ance

Rte doing half and half when it comes to Irish place names.
    Port Laois - it is either port leesh. Or purt leesha. Don't mix and match !
    Same for Dun Laoghaire

My father (very different generation) insists that the Irish pronounce the letter R incorrectly. He says we should not be saying arrrrr like pirates :) It should be closer to the way the Brits say it - ahhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Back to the euro and cent issue :

I always use the singular versions of these words - I thought everyone did ??
    As for the French. Is the reason they use centimes not because their old currency had centimes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I say lef tenant

American TV tell me it is loo tenant

Now I don't know which to use

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭billox

i know a guy who says idear instead of idea its painfull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Having played both football and basketball, i've been acquainted with both defence and defence. :P

Advertisement