Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Undertaking on the motorway

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Its annoying on the M50 more than any other place but it should be expected at this stage.

Undertaking is annoying? Its only annoying if you're hogging the overtaking lane in the first place! Stick to the rules and you won't be undertaken.
    Well your undertaking is also breaking the law and its more dangerous than someone driving at marginally below the speed limit in the middle lane.

Disagree. On the broader scale, lane hogging causes far more problems than undertaking and can have a ripple effect contributing to an accident a few cars back. Besides, and I'll say it again, it's the lane hoggers that give rise to undertaking in the first place. Cutting out the hogging cuts out the undertaking!

Simples :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

I really dislike gaybo and his inexperienced view of motoring imposed on irish drivers.

He has been taking credit for reduced fatalities due to new motorways and carriageways

We stopped building and improving roads and the death toll has stopped falling.

Sooner or later all the revenue streams Gaybo has introduced will be exposed for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Indeed, I won't undertake on a 2 lane motorway but I will do it on the likes of the Naas Road.

There is no way in hell if I'm doing 100kph or a little less in the left lane will I cut across two lanes and back because some fool in the middle lane is doing 80 kph or less.

I just drive in the leftmost lane.
    If some fool in lane 2 or 3 is there and not overtaking anyone, no way will I change lane to accomodate their bad lane discipline.

If there were no lane hoggers there would not need to be any left side overtaking.

I drive in the left lane mostly unless someone is doing some stupid speed about 40 mph, then I've no choice to hop the two lanes and back.

To be honest I don't go fast on the Naas road as there is no point, because it's just a race to the traffic at newlands cross anyway.

I drive in the left lane mostly unless someone is doing some stupid speed about 40 mph, then I've no choice to hop the two lanes and back.

To be honest I don't go fast on the Naas road as there is no point, because it's just a race to the traffic at newlands cross anyway.

Since getting the truck, I just cruise everywhere at 55 mph and chillax.

But, yeah I always stay in the leftmost lane unless I need to overtake (after which I pull back into the left most lane)

• Advertisement

Since getting the truck, I just cruise everywhere at 55 mph and chillax.

But, yeah I always stay in the leftmost lane unless I need to overtake (after which I pull back into the left most lane)

I'm not surprised, you probably thought at first there was something wrong with the fuel gauge in that big tank ! :D

I'm not surprised, you probably thought at first there was something wrong with the fuel gauge in that big tank ! :D

She's not actually that bad. Initial calculations are showing an estimate of 18-20 mpg imperial, which is not so bad (and indeed not far off the 535d)

But in SPG terms, the truck is so far ahead of the e60 it isn't even in the same league.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Good thread.

I drove up from naas to newlands this afternoon. Cruise control set at 90 kmh. Never had to move from the left lane once. I did undertake about 6 cars - one, a nissan cashcow was travelling about 50-60 in the middle lane, oblivious to his surroundings.

Driving down to naas earlier i joined the N7 at kingswood - a lovely woman in front of me in a toyota avensis didn't see the need to merge with the traffic - no - much easier to stop in the merging lane with her right indicator on...definitely easier to join traffic that is travelling at 70 - 100 kmh from a standing start!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

visual wrote: »
    I really dislike gaybo and his inexperienced view of motoring imposed on irish drivers.

He has been taking credit for reduced fatalities due to new motorways and carriageways
    He's a prick and a terrible driver to boot. He pulled out right in front of me one day and I very nearly hit him. Then he just carried on without so much a backward glance like I was never there.

vibe666 wrote: »
    He's a prick and a terrible driver to boot. He pulled out right in front of me one day and I very nearly hit him. Then he just carried on without so much a backward glance like I was never there.

Its disgraceful that he got appointed board of RSA thats funded through public taxes and tv licence fees with his program taking about God on RTE. Once your in the elitist club you can do as you please and expect the taxpayer to cough up.

• Advertisement

visual wrote: »
    Its disgraceful that he got appointed board of RSA thats funded through public taxes and tv licence fees with his program taking about God on RTE. Once your in the elitist club you can do as you please and expect the taxpayer to cough up.

Indeed. There's no chance he'd f***ing retire already and let a younger person come through. He'll be there til he drops off which, God-willing, will be sooner rather than later.

Jesus. wrote: »
    Indeed. There's no chance he'd f***ing retire already and let a younger person come through. He'll be there til he drops off which, God-willing, will be sooner rather than later.

Well, any chance of some divine intervention?

(see what I did there)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Elephant Man from china

Middle lane and overtaking lane hogging is a real problem in this country. It's why I font undertake, but I do beep / flash the lights and force them out of the way.. Especially in the overtaking lane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Yesterday I was driving to the airport from Louth, I was behind a few cars who were in the overtaking lane. We were all overtaking, but just going about 110kph. I was wanting to go faster, but as there were about 5 cars in front of me, I just had to wait and hope that when the left lane cleared, people in front would move over. Generally on two lane motorways, people have better lane discipline.

Well some moron in a Renault Laguna decided he wanted to go past me, having raced up behind from a long way back, he proceeded to drive literally about 10 ft from my bumper at 110kph. So I slowly increased the distance from the car in front, as suggested I should do in the highway code, to allow more time for that idiot to react in an emergency. He then started flashing his lights at me and making slight swerving motions, as if he could squeeze his car through a 3ft gap between me and the central reservation. The cars in front were not moving out of the way as there were a fair amount of trucks trundling along in the left lane. I started to get annoyed with this idiot so I trailed my brakes with my left foot to put my brake lights on, and for a moment he backed off, but then realising he had been duped, it encouraged him to come even closer. His visibility must have been shocking and he would have had no time to react if I had to stop quickly. So after a few minutes of this, I decided I had had enough, we came to a large incline and a big truck was struggling up it at around 80kph, well didn't Laguna man start going mental when I eased up and drove along beside the truck all the way up the hill and then on the flat as far as I could go until eventually other cars caught up with us and I didn't want to impede their drive. At which point I sped up, with Laguna on my tail until we caught more cars and then he had to sit behind me again.

Now I know I shouldn't have engaged with him and should have just let him by, but I see it as my personal duty to discourage people with bad manners and bully boy tactics. I wish he had pulled off the road at a service station where I would have followed him in and seen what he had to say for himself then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Off topic but had an encounter with someone who was nearly in my boot with how close they were driving. It was on a single 100kmh carriageway and we were going nowhere fast but we were soon going 100kmh and yet they were still on my back bumper and swerving out to check the oncoming traffic.

So instead of brake checking them I let the car slow to 60kmh and thought to myself, "If they get the message and back off grand, otherwise they can overtake me if they want", mainly because it's distracting and dangerous what this person was doing as the roads were wet.

They didnt take what I did so well, it infuriated them and they rode my bumper until there was a break in the oncoming traffic so they could overtake. As they went past they stared in and I was curious what type of person would drive like such a lunatic at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon....a woman in her late 50's.
    Different breed out their fellas. Testosterone fueled and late for the bingo...

On topic: With regards undertaking on the M50. I regularly drive to work on one of heaviest parts of the M50 (J7 to J9 ) and when I merge onto the M50 I stay in the left most lane for the entire journey and undertake ~50 cars mainly because lanes 1-3 are crawling. I'm curious as to whether or not I could get pulled for this? I read someone in the road traffic laws that undertaking is permissible in heavy traffic and I'd be of the opinion that Monday to Friday between 8 and 9, that section of the M50 would qualify as heavy traffic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Caliden wrote: »
    Off topic but had an encounter with someone who was nearly in my boot with how close they were driving. It was on a single 100kmh carriageway and we were going nowhere fast but we were soon going 100kmh and yet they were still on my back bumper and swerving out to check the oncoming traffic.

So instead of brake checking them I let the car slow to 60kmh and thought to myself, "If they get the message and back off grand, otherwise they can overtake me if they want", mainly because it's distracting and dangerous what this person was doing as the roads were wet.

They didnt take what I did so well, it infuriated them and they rode my bumper until there was a break in the oncoming traffic so they could overtake. As they went past they stared in and I was curious what type of person would drive like such a lunatic at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon....a woman in her late 50's.
    Different breed out their fellas. Testosterone fueled and late for the bingo...

On topic: With regards undertaking on the M50. I regularly drive to work on one of heaviest parts of the M50 (J7 to J9 ) and when I merge onto the M50 I stay in the left most lane for the entire journey and undertake ~50 cars mainly because lanes 1-3 are crawling. I'm curious as to whether or not I could get pulled for this? I read someone in the road traffic laws that undertaking is permissible in heavy traffic and I'd be of the opinion that Monday to Friday between 8 and 9, that section of the M50 would qualify as heavy traffic.

"Heavy traffic" isn't defined per se in Ireland, but has been in the UK where's it means "stop/start or 1st gear".

How relevant that might be in the event of a prosecution is questionable.

There seems to be a lot of people here that take the view that it's fine to undertake middle or ovewrtaking lane huggers by minding their own business and keeping a constant speed in lane 1.

Unfortunately, and I realise it's a p.i.t.a. but that excuse won't wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Cruise control set at 120kph. Sitting in left lane, humming along. See car approaching up ahead on my right doing maybe 100-110 in the right lane.

Like **** I'm slowing down. Not when I've been doing the same speed for the last 20 minutes. Technically a violation of the RoTR, but then the RoTR are a violation of common sense at times.

On a three-lane road, it'd be unsafe to swing out through 2 lanes just to get past a lane hog when I'm travelling in a stable, steady-state condition and configuration.

Undertaking would be moving into a lefthand lane to get past a slower moving car and possibly returning to said lane.

Driving in the leftmost driving lane passing fools in incorrect lane is not undertaking.

Dartz wrote: »
    Cruise control set at 120kph. Sitting in left lane, humming along. See car approaching up ahead on my right doing maybe 100-110 in the right lane.

Like **** I'm slowing down. Not when I've been doing the same speed for the last 20 minutes. Technically a violation of the RoTR, but then the RoTR are a violation of common sense at times.

On a three-lane road, it'd be unsafe to swing out through 2 lanes just to get past a lane hog when I'm travelling in a stable, steady-state condition and configuration.
    Yes this is the way I do it too.
    Idiots lanehogging will not move over if you move out behind them to overtake anyway.

More TC enforcement of "keep left" is needed

Middle lane and overtaking lane hogging is a real problem in this country. It's why I font undertake, but I do beep / flash the lights and force them out of the way.. Especially in the overtaking lane

What do you lads think of this scenario because I'm not sure if I do be in the right or not.

Say you're moving handily along in the left lane at say, 65 mph, and a line of slower moving traffic comes up in front of you - 6 or 7 vehicles strong including a couple of long arctic trucks. You look behind you and all there is is a car a good distance back so you move out and begin overtaking, not much faster than what you were doing, say about 70. The vehicles on your left are only doing about 50 so your speed is plenty fast to overtake them all quick enough but because there's so many of them, it takes a little longer. Then after passing the first 2 or 3, you look in your mirror and that car that was way back is right on your tail as he was obviously pelting it along.

My question is, is it okay to continue doing your speed and carry out your manoeuvre, or should you stand on the throttle because you've obviously forced the guy behind to reduce his speed?

I stress again that when you began your manoeuvre, the bloke was way back, so far that you wouldn't have been able to make out what speed he was doing. I'm not talking about people who pull out on advancing, fast-moving traffic forcing blokes to slow down in a dangerous fashion. This is a different kind of scenario so I hope I've explained it okay!

What do you think lads?

• Advertisement

Ive often driven the nass road at night with very few cars on the road. Of those few cars most are middle lane hoggers. I correctly over take and return to left lane what I have noticed in rear view mirror is a few lane hoggers will realise they should be driving in left lane and move over.

I really believe most of these lane hoggers just don't know the rules of the road and just follow the examples good or bad from other drivers.

Education is what is needed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What do you lads think of this scenario because I'm not sure if I do be in the right or not.

Say you're moving handily along in the left lane at say, 65 mph, and a line of slower moving traffic comes up in front of you - 6 or 7 vehicles strong including a couple of long arctic trucks. You look behind you and all there is is a car a good distance back so you move out and begin overtaking, not much faster than what you were doing, say about 70. The vehicles on your left are only doing about 50 so your speed is plenty fast to overtake them all quick enough but because there's so many of them, it takes a little longer. Then after passing the first 2 or 3, you look in your mirror and that car that was way back is right on your tail as he was obviously pelting it along.

My question is, is it okay to continue doing your speed and carry out your manoeuvre, or should you stand on the throttle because you've obviously forced the guy behind to reduce his speed?

I stress again that when you began your manoeuvre, the bloke was way back, so far that you wouldn't have been able to make out what speed he was doing. I'm not talking about people who pull out on advancing, fast-moving traffic forcing blokes to slow down in a dangerous fashion. This is a different kind of scenario so I hope I've explained it okay!

What do you think lads?

Keep going up to 120kph (assuming that;'s the speed limit).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

cisk wrote: »
    Undertaking would be moving into a lefthand lane to get past a slower moving car and possibly returning to said lane.

Driving in the leftmost driving lane passing fools in incorrect lane is not undertaking.

Undertaking (or overtaking on the left as it should be referred to) means passing a car on the left. It has nothing to do with how you got to be in the left hand lane.

cisk wrote: »
    ...Driving in the leftmost driving lane passing fools in incorrect lane is not undertaking.

Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

What is the actual law in Ireland regarding you driving at a steady speed in the left lane and then catching up with traffic in the right hand lane. Say for example it was a dual carriageway. The right hand lane vehicles should be in the left lane, but they are not. Is the driver in the left lane legally expected to slow down to make sure they do not pass the vehicles on their right?

It seems bloody stupid if that is what is expected.

Can someone link me to some official info on this, where it states its illegal and an actual offence. Im sure many have opinions on it, but I would like to see some hard evidence as I regularly pass cars on my right and have never been stopped, but I would like to know the law on it if Im pulled over and wish to defend myself, or at least try to anyway.

What is the actual law in Ireland regarding you driving at a steady speed in the left lane and then catching up with traffic in the right hand lane. Say for example it was a dual carriageway. The right hand lane vehicles should be in the left lane, but they are not. Is the driver in the left lane legally expected to slow down to make sure they do not pass the vehicles on their right?

It seems bloody stupid if that is what is expected.

Can someone link me to some official info on this, where it states its illegal and an actual offence. Im sure many have opinions on it, but I would like to see some hard evidence as I regularly pass cars on my right and have never been stopped, but I would like to know the law on it if Im pulled over and wish to defend myself, or at least try to anyway.

It's in the RTA somewhere. It says something like (and this is a paraphrase) - "only overtake on the right, except in these 3 specific circumstances".

Keep going up to 120kph (assuming that;'s the speed limit).

Is that the official policy in such a situation or more so Motorway "etiquette" Henry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Caliden wrote: »
    I read someone in the road traffic laws that undertaking is permissible in heavy traffic .

No. You didn't.

Is that the official policy in such a situation or more so Motorway "etiquette" Henry?

I'm in no position to give an answer in any official capacity, but that's how I'd see it.

You can't legally exceed the speed limit because someone from way back is barrelling along behind you. Firstly they shouldn't be, and secondly they should have reacted to the speed differential.

That of course assumes you didn't pull out right in front of them. In that case there's an argument for partial liabilty in the event of something nasty happening.

• Advertisement

It's in the RTA somewhere. It says something like (and this is a paraphrase) - "only overtake on the right, except in these 3 specific circumstances".

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/si/0294.html#zzsi294y1964a19

There it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement