Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Undertaking on the motorway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

It's ludicrous that you have to leave a lane to overtake someone driving slower in a lane to your right and there is no one in your lane the driving lane ahead of you. But that sadly is what we have to do everyday.

It is VERY easy to drive on the M50 at 100km/h in the left lane and only occasionally have to leave it to overtake or let someone merge, this rubbish saying its impossible because the exits are to close together is utter rubbish, over the entire 45kms of the road the only junctions close together are firehouse and tallaght and then later the mad cow and Ballymount the rest are a decent distance apart and give you sufficient time to move back to the left most lane even if you drove an F1 car at max speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the problem is, it's a self fulfilling situation. if you try and drive correctly and overtake on the right, you end up with a few people sitting in the outermost right lane slowing everyone down and progressively less and less people on the middle and left lanes, but the minute you move in to any other lane everyone moves up to box you in so you can't get out again, which results in nobody wanting to move in at all, making things even worse.

bad driving habits are compounded by more bad driving habits and the irrational driver hatred here of someone else 'getting ahead of them'.

it is regularly possible to sit on the inside lane on the M50, stick within the 100kph limit and pass 20 or more cars sitting in the overtaking lanes effectively doing a form of high(ish) speed queueing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

cisk wrote: »
    I regularly pass hundreds of cars by staying in the left lane, bizarre.

Shhhhh lets keep the inside lane our secret, if we tell them all, it will become just as congested!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Absolute garbage. Go and hand your driving licence in, you're not fit to drive.

Im not sure what the roads are like up in Louth, but try leaving Naas and driving to Dublin down the N7 in the left hand lane, and see how far you get before you have to cross over two lanes to overtake a middle lane hogger. If you make it a full minute Id be amazed.

djimi wrote: »
    Im not sure what the roads are like up in Louth, but try leaving Naas and driving to Dublin down the N7 in the left hand lane, and see how far you get before you have to cross over two lanes to overtake a middle lane hogger. If you make it a full minute Id be amazed.

I drive to Dundrum and back every single day. Most times I wish I had a bulldozer, Id sort out those that think its OK to cruise along in the middle lane.

The fact that offenders, and that is what you are, openly admit it and try and provide an explanation for their illegal driving is just a reflection of how piss poor the driving standards are. If the Government want to create jobs, create revenue and tidy up driving standards, employ 1000% more Traffic Police jobs, make them focus on bad driving habits and come down hard on people like you. It wont be long before you are either taking the bus or keeping left. Its not hard to understand is it? KEEP LEFT!

http://vimeo.com/38625856

This is a copy and paste from the Road Safety Authority.

"• Lane 1 – You should always use this lane for normal driving. Stay in this
    lane unless you are overtaking.

• Lane 2 – You should only use this lane for overtaking. You must move
    back to lane 1 once you have finished overtaking
    and it is safe to do
    so. you can also move into lane 2 to allow vehicles coming from your
    left to join the motorway.
    • Lane 3 – You should only use this lane if traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is moving
    in queues and you need to overtake or make room for merging traffic.
    Again, you should move back to lane 1 as soon as it is safe to do so.
    When overtaking, only move between two lanes at a time. For example, to move
    from lane 1 to lane 3, first move into lane 2 and wait to move to lane 3 until it is
    safe to do so."

I have highlighted the part causing so many problems for some of you. These are not new laws, they have been in force for years, you passed your test and were aware of them then. So do not ever think you have ANY excuse for driving along in the middle lane or the outside lane when the inside lane is clear. If you stay in the middle lane you do not have a clue how to drive and are a danger to other road users, you should have your licence revoked if you are not willing to abide by the rules. A driving licence to use a high speed motor vehicle, a potential weapon, is an absolute privilege, its time people started realising that.

• Advertisement

Go back and read my post again. I'm not saying it's alright to break the law, or that do; I was simply commenting on Cinios comment that it driving would be easier if everyone overtook on the right.

If you're going to jump on your patronizing high horse at least read what you are replying to first.

Go back and read my post again. I'm not saying it's alright to break the law, or that do; I was simply commenting on Cinios comment that it driving would be easier if everyone overtook on the right.

If you're going to jump on your patronizing high horse at least read what you are replying to first.

Whats patronizing about it? Im just sick of retards getting in my way because they are incapable of following very simple rules.

Whats patronizing about it? Im just sick of retards getting in my way because they are incapable of following very simple rules.

Ands thats relevant to my post how?

Go back and read what I wrote. Carefully. And if you are still confused maybe just dont reply this time instead of telling me to hand in my license or some other patronizing bull****.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Agreed, I now drive on the inside/outside depending on flow of traffic, far too many people driving below the limit hogging the middle lane. I don't like doing it, but do as otherwise I'd trundle along for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Well for a start you said he was unfit to drive. Go read his posts again, maybe then you'll realise that he was simply referring to the fact that drivers who abide by the keep left rule frequently have to move across multiple lanes to overtake lane hoggers rather than overtake on the left. Not once has he advocated overtaking on the left yet you leapt in feet first with the conclusion he was unfit to drive and participates in overtaking on the left.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Well for a start you said he was unfit to drive. Go read his posts again, maybe then you'll realise that he was simply referring to the fact that drivers who abide by the keep left rule frequently have to move across multiple lanes to overtake lane hoggers rather than overtake on the left. Not once has he advocated overtaking on the left yet you leapt in feet first with the conclusion he was unfit to drive and participates in overtaking on the left.

Jumping to conclusion, if thats what I did, doesnt make it patronizing. I was making a general statement about anyone who cannot drive. Anyone sitting in the middle lane cannot drive, they should all have their driving licences revoked as they are incompetent and are a danger to other road users.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Oh sweet lord jesus,please tell me that you are only joking???:eek:

Wish I was son

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Absolute garbage. Go and hand your driving licence in, you're not fit to drive.

Way OTT there mate. I, like you, find middle-lane hoggers infuriating. But there's hoggers and then there's hoggers. I think the guy was just making the point that in the real World, when driving the likes of the M50 in Ireland, its difficult keeping left all the time with the amount of slip roads joining and the almost continual merging traffic. Whilst I still do it myself, it does become annoying having to move out and back in scores of times and at the end of it all you just end up behind the same guy who never left the middle lane in the first place!

Just because the guy made an honest observation about the way things actually are out there doesn't mean he ain't fit to drive bro!

Jumping to conclusion, if thats what I did, doesnt make it patronizing. I was making a general statement about anyone who cannot drive. Anyone sitting in the middle lane cannot drive, they should all have their driving licences revoked as they are incompetent and are a danger to other road users.

No you werent. You mis-read my post, flew off the handle with a nasty patronizing comment, and are now backtracking rather than admitting that you were in the wrong. Not cool...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

"Checks his watch"

Bang on schedule for another derailed topic............bravo!!!

I'm delighted that we have reduced our deaths on the road but the trade off for the focus of policing of speed has been a massive reduction on the policing of other driving practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

"Checks his watch"

Bang on schedule for another derailed topic............bravo!!!

I'm delighted that we have reduced our deaths on the road but the trade off for the focus of policing of speed has been a massive reduction on the policing of other driving practices.

Totally agree, the whole speed thing just distracts, it's stupidity that causes the majority of accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

The difference between here and say, Dubai and Abu Dhabi, is that there is utter chaos on their roads by our standards yet aside from the odd knock on a motorway, all goes well.

The problem over here is that we have a set of rules, which are good rules, but very few people follow them which make for more dangerous driving than knowing that there is going to be people swerving from lane 1 to lane 7 or general free-for-all style driving in the UAE. The only downside is heavy tailgating which I just don't like in general.

I would prefer if all drivers here would just be better at driving but the Motors forum and even Boards.ie as a whole is a tiny subset of the driving population.

No you werent. You mis-read my post, flew off the handle with a nasty patronizing comment, and are now backtracking rather than admitting that you were in the wrong. Not cool...

I've not backtracked once. I never read any of your earlier posts, I was commenting based on that one post, which clearly implied you found it difficult to keep left on certain sections of the road. The cars entering the motorway have to fit into the lane, you are under no obligation to move over if you are having difficulty switching lanes or are too lazy to do so. It can be very helpful for those entering the motorway if you do move right to assist them enter, but if the result is that you are just going to sit in the middle lane because your struggling to return to the left lane, then do not do it at all, EVER.

There was no nasty patronizing comment made. If you think that was patronizing I think you better go and make yourself a cup of tea before your get your knickers in a twist any further. Im entitled to express my opinion and I can do that based exclusively on a comment you made. I do not feel I have to read 11 pages of posts just to ensure I understand everything everyone has said. If someone made 1000 great posts and then made a stupid post, I have no problem making an opinion based on that one comment.

I've not backtracked once. I never read any of your earlier posts, I was commenting based on that one post, which clearly implied you found it difficult to keep left on certain sections of the road. The cars entering the motorway have to fit into the lane, you are under no obligation to move over if you are having difficulty switching lanes or are too lazy to do so. It can be very helpful for those entering the motorway if you do move right to assist them enter, but if the result is that you are just going to sit in the middle lane because your struggling to return to the left lane, then do not do it at all, EVER.

There was no nasty patronizing comment made. If you think that was patronizing I think you better go and make yourself a cup of tea before your get your knickers in a twist any further. Im entitled to express my opinion and I can do that based exclusively on a comment you made. I do not feel I have to read 11 pages of posts just to ensure I understand everything everyone has said. If someone made 1000 great posts and then made a stupid post, I have no problem making an opinion based on that one comment.

Are you actually on the wind up? :confused:

Are you actually on the wind up? :confused:

This is boring now. Lets get back to the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Undertaking on a motorway is very dangerous.
    I'm sure most undertakers would prefer to do so in their funeral home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Undertaking on a motorway is very dangerous.
    I'm sure most undertakers would prefer to do so in their funeral home.

It is indeed. That's why I removed my left-wing mirror - I don't need to use it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

slrati.jpg

(from out foreign somewhere but you get the idea....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

If people really dont check there left when re-merging then they deserve to crash. The truth is we live in an undertaking culture so best thing to do is learn how to live in it rather than complain. Its annoying on the M50 more than any other place but it should be expected at this stage.

Sobanek wrote: »
    It is indeed. That's why I removed my left-wing mirror - I don't need to use it anyway!

Ah I'm just being pedantic. The correct term is "overtaking on the left" not "undertaking" - which is not a correct word in this sense, despite its seemingly common usage here.

If countries like the U.S. with their world renowned poor driving skills can handle overtaking on the left, why can't we?

If people really dont check there left when re-merging then they deserve to crash. The truth is we live in an undertaking culture so best thing to do is learn how to live in it rather than complain. Its annoying on the M50 more than any other place but it should be expected at this stage.

Funeral business booming, eh Chris? :P

Well your undertaking is also breaking the law and its more dangerous than someone driving at marginally below the speed limit in the middle lane.

No, Postman Patrice. Put your thinking cap on and have another go at that one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Middle laners are the root cause of undertaking.

If everyone drove on left as they are supposed to then the undertaking problem would dissappear.

visual wrote: »
    Middle laners are the root cause of undertaking.

If everyone drove on left as they are supposed to then the undertaking problem would dissappear.
    Exactly
    The idiocy of the "gay byrne brigade" that drive in the middle/overtaking lane causes the overtaking on the left problem that exists.

If they drove correctly then there would not be a problem regarding overtaking on the left. Then again, we could just make it legal to overtake on the left when there is someone hogging lane #2 or lane #3 incorrectly.

• Advertisement

Exactly
    The idiocy of the "gay byrne brigade" that drive in the middle/overtaking lane causes the overtaking on the left problem that exists.

If they drove correctly then there would not be a problem regarding overtaking on the left. Then again, we could just make it legal to overtake on the left when there is someone hogging lane #2 or lane #3 incorrectly.

Indeed, I won't undertake on a 2 lane motorway but I will do it on the likes of the Naas Road.

There is no way in hell if I'm doing 100kph or a little less in the left lane will I cut across two lanes and back because some fool in the middle lane is doing 80 kph or less.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement