Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Undertaking on the motorway

Options
  • 08-05-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

I can't understand why this is seen as dangerous driving. According to the AA it's one of the top 10 dangerous activities on the motorway. I travel along the m50 everyday and constantly find people driving in the overtaking lane at 80kph, I therefore undertake them. The only way in which I can see this causing an accident is if the person on the outside pulls in without looking. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I can't understand why this is seen as dangerous driving. According to the AA it's one of the top 10 dangerous activities on the motorway. I travel along the m50 everyday and constantly find people driving in the overtaking lane at 80kph, I therefore undertake them. The only way in which I can see this causing an accident is if the person on the outside pulls in without looking. Am I missing something?

Its dangerous only because people are told not to do it, so people dont expect people coming up on that side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The sooner that the "M"-50 MOTORWAY is given its propper 120kph speed limit,the better.

The old 2 lane M50 was a 120kph motorway,but now this bigger and better M50 is only 100kph.

FFS like.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

paddy147 wrote: »
    The sooner that the "M"-50 MOTORWAY is given its propper 120kph speed limit,the better.

The old 2 lane M50 was a 120kph motorway,but now this bigger and better M50 is only 100kph.

The least of the countries worries in the speed limit on the M50. 3/4's of the cars on it travel at 75-90 anyway. Of them 2/3rds+ are in the middle lane.

All the while they brake to move across 2 lanes to exit the motorway from the middle lane, brake to merge on to the motorway, brake to change lanes. All the bloody time ****ing braking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 BrianCohen

As far as I know the lanes are too narrow for the 120kph limit.

BrianCohen wrote: »
    As far as I know the lanes are too narrow for the 120kph limit.

Oh sweet lord jesus,please tell me that you are only joking???:eek:

Arent the AA trying to get the speed limit upped to the 120kph limit??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

unfortunately they claim because theres now 3 lanes that its safer to bring the limit down to 100, to allow people to change lanes safely when try ing to get onto an exit. i know its crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

68mNC.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 BrianCohen

Oh sweet lord jesus,please tell me that you are only joking???:eek:

Arent the AA trying to get the speed limit upped to the 120kph limit??

Just to say, that's from memory from a thread on here I think yonks ago. I'm a long time lurker so it could've been the last 4 years. I googled and the lanes are narrower by 25cm according to Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

M50 has too many exits on quite short stretch of motorway. Lanes are narrow. Plenty of vehicles changing lanes, looking for right exits, etc...
    I can't think of any other similar part of motorway in Europe where there would be any bigger limit than 100km/h.
    IMHO 100km/h is just about right or even too much for M50.

emo72 wrote: »
    unfortunately they claim because theres now 3 lanes that its safer to bring the limit down to 100, to allow people to change lanes safely when try ing to get onto an exit. i know its crazy!

The RSA should send all the "crawl along" auld fellas and auld biddies over onto the M25 at junction 13 (Staines,Egham) and that will frighten the absolute shyte out of them indeed........all 6 lanes on each side of the M25.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

BX 19 wrote: »
    68mNC.jpg

Wasn't aware that there was a thread in it already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Wasn't aware that there was a thread in it already.

Only the odd one or two (thousand);)
    They usually go very well with very civilised discussion and polite arguing...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Its dangerous only because people are told not to do it, so people don't expect people coming up on that side.

Don't bother to check their mirrors, and then scupper the driver in the inner lane:mad:

I have seen on the M50 lanes 1 & 2 essentially blocked by a slowcoach in lane 3, because they seemed nervous of undertaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

I can understand people trundling along a bit slower with the price of fuel these days, but anyone who needs to do so, please, please do it in the left hand lane - not, like I'm increasingly seeing, at 80k in the middle lane :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I dont like undertaking, and usually refrain from doing so, but I frequently meet people driving so dangerously slow in the middle lane that occassionally I dont have a choice - other than hitting the brakes and clogging up the left lane while waiting for an opportunity to move out to go around them.

And there are those who do keep to the left lane, until I come up behind them and as I'm about to move out to pass they suddenly move out into the middle lane for no bl00dy reason :confused:

Lets not forget those who trundle down slip roads on to motorways at 60k's and go straight for the middle lane dispite the road being clear in front of them and a queue of irate drivers behind all trying to race each other into the righthand lane to get past. Or those who on dual carraigeways move out to the right hand lane as soon as they get on to them because they'll be turning right a few miles further on - I see that all the time on the road from Lucan to the Naas Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Isn't that a very big only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I agree with every fecking word. I undertake pass on the left every day of the week AND I make sure I make eye contact with the dopes. Most then move to the left after me.

If there was proper enforcement, it would not happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Bluesphere

The worst arethe dopes who sit in the middle lane for an entire journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

That's because they don't want to go in the 'fast lane', nor get stuck in the 'slow lane'... Perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Increasing the speed limit won't change a thing, besides as someone who crosses the M50 twice (at least) a day I've grown accustomed to it.

As both a bike and car driver, the bike rider in me thinks every other car/truck/bus is out to kill me so I drive defensively. The vast majority of Irish drivers don't give a fcuk about their driving. Proper lane discipline, indication, hell even keeping their windows demisted is a; mah who cares.

When I said above that I drive defensivily, I mean not like a tank but rather I think about things. If I'm approaching a car who's to my right in the centre lane of the M50, and I'm catching him, I should be thinking if an exit is coming up; will he cut in front of me and if an on ramp is coming; should I be prepared to slow and move in behind him to allow traffic to filter on. Only if I'm a good distance from either would I contemplate undertaking him (if my left lane is clear and the two overtaking lanes are not).

Besides this creature who sits in the centre lane at 80kph, with nothing to his front or left, is my 'big foot' because I have yet to meet him. But then I don't really stress over other peoples driving, bar I consider them to be a possible danger to me or I see the results professionally.

My big thing is indication and road position. Indication should be muscle memory as in no conscious thought, Christ clutch control is pure reflex and muscle control after a short period driving; why shouldn't indiction be too. Same goes for road postion particularly at roundabouts.

I consider lack of indication as uncourtious and downright rude to other road users. Indication is just that, an indication that I am about to change my road position and not a 'woah there boss you'd better slow down cause I'm moving in front of you'. The amount of drivers who I've heard say sure I was indicating and when you ask was it safe to move, they reply again; but I was indicating.

The main thing is folks don't stress over others driving, stress leads us to make poor decisions. Believe me, people do get caught for not staying left or no indication and unsafe lane changes. The person you're stressed over may not at that moment be caught but if it's habitual; they will.

I would love it if everyone taught as much about there own driving as much as they did/do about others, if that was the case we'd be a lot more courtious to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The reason that undertaking on the motorway is considered dangerous goes back to old laws which give funeral corteges right of way over normal traffic (RTA 1963). The below-normal speed (often barely walking-pace) is unexpected for motorists accelerating down a slip-road, with a conflict occurring in which the motorist joining the motorway is expected to yield to the funeral procession. The obvious flaw is that the joining vehicle is usually travelling in excess of 100 km/h, requiring evasive maneuvers and emergency braking. Accidents are common with large numbers of injuries resulting due to the close proximity of vehicles in the procession.

In 2005 alone there were 30 motorway funeral procession incursions in the Republic, all of which involved loss of life (source: CSO).

Since 2008 the RSA has issued warnings to undertakers outlining the risks involved in operating on motorways and other dual-carriageways, and as a result there has been a dramatic reduction of incidents involving undertaking.

:D

Seriously though I imagine it's to do with people not expecting someone to overtake on their left side. Or if there's a long line of cars overtaking on the left there might be an incident when the driver in the inside lane needs to cross the outside lane to get to an exit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

People don't change lanes because of the cats eyes I reckon. Why are there cats eyes on the M50 I often wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

People don't change lanes because of the cats eyes I reckon.

Don't they want cats looking at them or something?

Why are there cats eyes on the M50 I often wonder?

probably delineating the lanes, but you wouldn't know.

The whole thing is cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

TheChizler wrote: »
    In 2005 alone there were 30 motorway funeral procession incursions in the Republic, all of which involved loss of life (source: CSO).

:D

Thats bloody obvious! I have never seen a funeral procession without a loss of life.

(sorry, couldn't resist that one :D!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    ... The vast majority of Irish drivers don't give a fcuk about their driving. Proper lane discipline, indication, hell even keeping their windows demisted is a; mah who cares. ...
    I agree. Add in the idiots who insist on undertaking and wanting the speed limit raised on the the congested multi-exit M50 and you have a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

I've driven cars in a good few European countries and as far as I can tell there are three fundamental rules that apply when driving on motorway. First and foremost:use only the outside lane for overtaking on a two lane carriageways, accelerate, overtake and get back to the inside lane; as for the three lane carriageways go you can overtake on all three lanes assuming that the speed you are traveling suited for the general traffic speed on the lane your are at.
    From my own experience from driving in Ireland I must say that most drivers are very sloppy. They do not use indicators, have no clue how roundabouts work and are petrified when driving on motorway. Some tend to apply their own logic to on road situations rather than applying the rules everyone should be driving by. I think this is due to a lack of proper driving courses, say 20-30 hours of driving lessons with a qualified instructor, who would be able to teach the proper on road behavior that is not affected by bad bad habits of a dad, mum or an uncle.

Thank God you drive slow in this country. If it was not for that there would have been far more fatalities on roads every day.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Was driving to work today, going from Shannon to Limerick on the dual carriageway.
    12 reg rental car with what looked like two American tourists driving it, in the right hand lane, going at 80 km/h.
    As cars where whizzing past on their left every now and then some car did try to get them to move over.
    Me too. Drive up behind them, put on my lights, nothing. Indicate right, nothing. Flash them, nothing.
    All the while cars passing them on their left with drivers glaring at them, nothing.
    After a while I had to admit defeat, they weren't going to get it. So overtook on the left too, same as the other couple of hundred cars.
    ROTR be damned, I will not crawl behind some eejit doing 80 km/h all the way past Limerick and be late to work, chances of being done are virtually none, it's worth the risk and only a complete moron would sit behind them for the next few hundred km's.
    I already know they will fly back to the good ole' US of A and say "Ghee, those drivers in Ireland sure are aggressive, why in the name of heck where they all flashing us all the time?"
    To me that rule was meant to prevent people overtaking every which way, but every now and then some gobsh*te decides he has to be awkward and that he has to fcuk up the whole system, mostly farmer John-Joe who is sad that he hasn't got a mile of traffic behind him anymore and discovered this neat little trick on how he can now still hold up the motorway, just keep right and traffic still has to follow him and he's all happy again!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mathepac wrote: »
    UOTE]I agree. Add in the idiots who insist on undertaking and wanting the speed limit raised on the the congested multi-exit M50 and you have a recipe for disaster.
    If someone goes by you on the left YOU are in the wrong lane. If your driving properly it can't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

My favourite is the guys that drive on the leftmost lane in the M50, exiting lane or whatever, and then shoot across all the lanes to the right when they actually near the exit as the traffic in their lane has slowed down..to exit funnily enough....4 lanes of traffic on one indication undertaking everyone else...thats if they indicate!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

If someone goes by you on the left YOU are in the wrong lane. If your driving properly it can't happen

it can if someone else is not driving properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I actually saw a motorcycle cop direct a driver out of the 3rd lane on the N4 outbound at Lucan a week or so ago. Up with this sort of thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement