Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walker WP645TS-HD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 coopershels

hey all,

any sign of the 2.9 firmware with the epg patch or will it be coming. i was delighted to get set up up with the epg on 2.8 but my brain is descending in to madness with the box freezing all the time.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭DK224

I was just wondering whether anyone had any problems since the switchover? My mother had this box installed a week ago and since last night she has had no saorview channels despite trying to scan for them. Not familiar with the box so would appreciate if anyone has any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mcginncf

Did it work at all when it was installed. Was it installed by a professional service person. There's too many possibilities of what is likely the problem, so rather than invalidate the warranty, get someone in who is a competant SAORVIEW installer. That's the best tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 peewee3ie

Hi,

I have the Walker WP645TS-HD box and would like to know if there is any way to play back any of the recording I have done via the box on to my usb hard drive on my PC or Android Tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 peewee3ie

I have a small problem. The walker WP645S-HD will not switch the TV over to the HDMI port it on. Does anyone other than me have this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

None of the devices I have seen, no matter what they are, have ever done HDMI switching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

had some issues with this at first. Main one was that u were not able to change channels saorview/sat while recording. 2.9 fixed that and lot of other issues as well. ITVHD is all sorted and now/next info on info bar when changing channels updates lot quicker.
    I have tried few combos (work in expert) like triax 2 versions, fergusson 150 and 250, 4life and now this. And I like it. Sure ariva 250 and triax have more features but this one feels much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

Just wondering if the software and channel list for this box will also work for the saorview approved Normende combi box as they both seem to be the same type unit ie epg, size of box, remote, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

raddo wrote: »
    Just wondering if the software and channel list for this box will also work for the saorview approved Normende combi box as they both seem to be the same type unit ie epg, size of box, remote, etc?

Somebody mentioned earlier that it will. Have another stick with original sw ready in hand just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 9 boredwalk

Just to let all those with this box know, firmware 2.9 is now available, the fix being that you can now watch the sat channels while recording saorview or visa versa! This was the only real issue I had with this box (apart from the occasional purple screen thingy on power on!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

Hi all, just installed the sat part of this box today as my mum was using the terrestial part while waiting for a sky dish install and have discovered a strange problem. All seems to work fine, even the creepy purple screen problem, but I have no volume control on ch4 hd or bbc ni hd even though it works fine on rte2 hd. Basically the volume stays at I'd say about half way, and even though the slider moves the volume stay constant. It does however turn off when turned down completely and of course works ok on the tv volume control.
    Any ideas appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Is it possible to get this STB to show PID etc info for the channel being received ??

One might for example want to know which advertising region (satellite) Channel 4 is being received as you cannot tell the difference from the station name (six Channel 4s on the same transponder - all the same name) . Northern Ireland C4 = VPID 2342 according to Lyngsat.com etc, other FTA receivers can display this info but as far as I can see the Walker cannot?

BTW This is on box with the original firmware (v2.3)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mack daddy

any new updates for this box??

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

mack daddy wrote: »
    any new updates for this box??
    v2.9 was the last update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Been holding off buying a saorview combo box and have just seen this at a good price
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-combo-walker.html

Is there anything comparable or better at a similiar price?

Reading through this thread suggests the ariva 250 is slightly better, but not saorview approved and no aertel

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Yes if you need MHEG 5 text its the one to go for and that's an excellent price

deegs wrote: »
    Been holding off buying a saorview combo box and have just seen this at a good price
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-combo-walker.html

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Lads,

I see that there are really only two Combo receivers that do everything .. mheg5 etc.

The Triax 114 and the Walker/Normende ?

Triax seems to be about €165 everywhere I checked
    The Walker/Normende is about €110

My simple question is.. is the Triax worth the extra €55 (as it seems to give plenty of problems as judged by the other threads on here) and what extras does it have that makes it worth that extra money ?

Just bought the Walker WP645TS-HD box today for €120 in a shop in Galway. Set it up (just terrestrial .. satellite dish coming soon) well pleased with it.

Couple of questions about the Walker box.

1). Firmware is v2.3 as standard. If I move to v2.9 I can get around the recording limitation right ? in other words I can record on one source and watch stuff from the other source, (Terrestrial and Satellite being the sources) what about watching different stuff on the same source while also recording from a channel on that source ? eg. Recording a prog on RTE1 and watching something on RTE 2 ?? is this possible ?

2). How do I upgrade the firmware. Download it from the internet to a USD device and plug the USB into the slot on the Walker box and power it up ??

3). Is it possible to record to a normal USB memory stick ? or do I need to have a self powered Memory drive ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Just bought this box today €120 in a shop in Galway. Set it up (just terrestrial .. satellite dish coming soon) well pleased with it.

Couple of questions about the Walker box.

1). Firmware is v2.3 as standard. If I move to v2.9 I can get around the recording limitation right ? in other words I can record on one source and watch stuff from the other source, (Terrestrial and Satellite being the sources) what about watching different stuff on the same source while also recording from a channel on that source ? eg. Recording a prog on RTE1 and watching something on RTE 2 ?? is this possible ?

2). How do I upgrade the firmware. Download it from the internet to a USD device and plug the USB into the slot on the Walker box and power it up ??

3). Is it possible to record to a normal USB memory stick ? or do I need to have a self powered Memory drive ?
    v2.9 also fixes picture dropout issues with ITV1HD and maybe others.

TVTrade have a decent HowTo with firmware on their blog...
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/blog/walker-wp645ts-hd-v2-9-fimware-cross-recording-update/

Yes, it is possible to record to a standard USB pendrive, though best to ensure it has enough memory to record stuff! 16GB or 32GB maybe. For a lot more storage, then an external HDD would be better. Depends on how much you intend to record etc.

Thanks "Byte".

I used that link. Very easy to follow and the firmware upgrade went successfully.

I now note that I can record Terrestrial and watch Satellite and vice versa. Excellent, that was the missing link with this Model.

Still can't change channel on the actual source you are watching eg. Recording a prog on RTE1 and watch something on RTE 2 ?? ... but that seems to be a limitation with all the Combo boxes (Triax, Ferguson etc.)

The other being a slightly odd Channel listing .. the Terrestrial and Satellite are separate. But that's certainly not a big deal. In fact it kinda makes sense seeing as the Terrestrial is a full 7 day and the Satellite is a more limited affair.

I successfully recorded content to a regular USD memory stick 500Mb. Brilliant. This a great little box and a nice clock on the front as well :-)

Another question. Does anybody know about the Internet settings on the Menu option

Menu>Setup>Internet Settings

I have a Broadband dongle .. I wonder if I could figure out the values to put in for IP Address, DNS server etc. and pop the dongle into the USB slot .. will I be able to browse the web or how does it work ? anyone have any experience of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Actually no, the Ferguson will allow viewing and recording of the same mux on terrestrial. Its not generally advertised as a feature to avoid any confusion when MUX 2 (if it ever happens) starts broadcasting.

Still can't change channel on the actual source you are watching eg. Recording a prog on RTE1 and watch something on RTE 2 ?? ... but that seems to be a limitation with all the Combo boxes (Triax, Ferguson etc.)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Thanks Tony, That is a nice feature on the Ferguson ..if it does that. Maybe Walker will have that on an upcoming firmware release.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Is this the same box re-badged and priced at 99.95 ?!

(Yes, it is saorview approved...)

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-TS1124&pages=1&prod=TS1124&brands=DIGIHOME&image

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

Hi all. I've installed all the terrestrial channels with my Walker but I haven't been able to install the free to air satellite ones yet. Could anyone break it down for me as to how to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 coopershels

Kevcol wrote: »
    Hi all. I've installed all the terrestrial channels with my Walker but I haven't been able to install the free to air satellite ones yet. Could anyone break it down for me as to how to do it?

I presume you have the Walker WP645TS-HD, if so the satellite scan is in the same menu as the terrestrial scan.

then you press opt to change from satellite viewing to terrestrial viewing.

This is all depending on the fact that you have both a satellite supply and an antenna supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

I presume you have the Walker WP645TS-HD, if so the satellite scan is in the same menu as the terrestrial scan.

then you press opt to change from satellite viewing to terrestrial viewing.

This is all depending on the fact that you have both a satellite supply and an antenna supply.

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried that but it asks me to set up the antenna installation first. I've tried setting up the antenna settings but I don't know which satellite or transponder settings I need to choose. Any suggestions as how to sort that.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kilgore27278

I am currently receiving my channels through a cable connection using an old Sagem ICD-60 (images attached) and not terrestrial or satellite. Will I be able to tune in my current subscribed channels using the Walker WP645TS-HD? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Is the best way to set one of these up to just use the automatic scan for terrestrial and satellite? I seem to get maybe 10 or so worthwhile & working channels among 100s of encrypted & junk channels. Also, RTE channels on the satellite mode do not work, are they only available through terrestrial?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is the best way to set one of these up to just use the automatic scan for terrestrial and satellite? I seem to get maybe 10 or so worthwhile & working channels among 100s of encrypted & junk channels. Also, RTE channels on the satellite mode do not work, are they only available through terrestrial?

Thanks

RTÉ on Astra satellite are subscription channels provided by Sky.

The same channels are available free on terrestrial DTT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Thanks, is the auto scan or manual scan best for setup?

Advertisement