Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walker WP645TS-HD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Thanks, is the auto scan or manual scan best for setup?

did auto scan on mine and it worked just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

inc21 wrote: »
    did auto scan on mine and it worked just fine

The problem is we have channel 4 8 times in a row when it does the auto scan, there is no sorting at all.

The problem is we have channel 4 8 times in a row when it does the auto scan, there is no sorting at all.

I know but sorting and deleting channels you dont want is pretty straight forward in this box compared with some others I have tried. That is 1 reason I stay'd with this box.
    You dont need to be sat expert to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I'm new to the whole system as I am just setting it up for mammy at her house, I thought it would be a bit like sky with pre-sorted channels. Oh well, thanks for your help!

I'm new to the whole system as I am just setting it up for mammy at her house, I thought it would be a bit like sky with pre-sorted channels. Oh well, thanks for your help!

Just bit more work. Unlike with sky you can get rid of some rubbish that you dont want and sort you channels as you like. Like bbc1 hd on nr 9, bbc2 on 10 and so on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

EPG really annoys us with this box... when You turn it on and check the EPG you need to click on every single channel to update the whats on... takes ages to go through all the channels!

deegs wrote: »
    EPG really annoys us with this box... when You turn it on and check the EPG you need to click on every single channel to update the whats on... takes ages to go through all the channels!

It is very annoying. It seamed that 2,9 made a bit of a difference at first, but it did not:mad:
    Personally now I just flick channels up/down with +/- and that way it seems to do it much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Hi Guys,

Question about HD's & the walker box - thought I'd throw it in here to save making a new thread.

Can the Walkers USB socket power an external 320gb HD?

or is it best to get a mains powered Hard Drive to connect?

Cheers,

J

ICN wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Question about HD's & the walker box - thought I'd throw it in here to save making a new thread.

Can the Walkers USB socket power an external 320gb HD?

or is it best to get a mains powered Hard Drive to connect?

Cheers,

J

Usb powered works just fine. I have heard some where that 320GB is recommended size. Anything bigger might be troublesome.

Tried few USB keys first 16GB and then 64GB did not work that well. Failing recordings and so on. When 320GB HDD (small one with USB only, no mains) went in all is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Hey INC

Thats great news. Thanks so much.

Really appreciate you letting me know.

J

• Advertisement

ICN wrote: »
    Hey INC

Thats great news. Thanks so much.

Really appreciate you letting me know.

J

no bother, glad to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭hernie

byte wrote: »
    I've flashed the Nordmende Saorview combi box with Walker software, it flashed fine, seems there is no difference at all internally between Walker and Nordmende (I thought there might have been slight differences so that one s/w wouldn't work with another brand).

The 2.8 worked fine on the Nordmende, as well as it can I guess, as I'm not keen on it. v2.9 though seems a very good release and appears to have addressed ITV1HD issues with the symbol rate.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not suggesting people go out and flash their Nordmende boxes with the Walker s/w, but it worked for me :) Caveat Emptor, etc.

Has anyone else tried the Walker firmware on the Nordmende box? I have the Nordemende NM7100M4 combi box, it's on v2.3

Have Saorview provided any OTA updates since it launched or is there any plans to?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

hernie wrote: »
    Have Saorview provided any OTA updates since it launched or is there any plans to?

An SSU (system software update) channel was included on the Mux 2 tests in Dec. So it'll probably be part of the PSB muxes at some stage, of course it'll be up to the manufacturers to provide the software.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

CGI_3 wrote: »
    Is this the same box re-badged and priced at 99.95 ?!

(Yes, it is saorview approved...)

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-TS1124&pages=1&prod=TS1124&brands=DIGIHOME&image

Answering myself here:

It really does seem to be. Just flashed it with 2.9 and all working well.

Only had 2.3 on it when I got it, and it had the same ITV HD problem as the Walker.

Still only €100 in Powercity....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BSOH

peewee3ie wrote: »
    Hi,

I have the Walker WP645TS-HD box and would like to know if there is any way to play back any of the recording I have done via the box on to my usb hard drive on my PC or Android Tab.

I have several times asked the tvtrade.ie same question (post #155, and post #146 from zilog jones) and got no answer. The recorded files chunk.1 etc. are of some non-standard type, unlike with some other boxes. I wish tvtrade had mentioned that when I asked them to compare the xoro 9000 with the Walker. So if you want your grandkids to inherit your precious appearance on the Late Late or such, don't use the Walker.

The satellite EPG is very poor: you have to select each channel to see what's now & next.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of getting rid of Sky as seem to be a lot of other people. I am looking at the Walker or Ariva but I am still a bit confused about the Satellite EPG.

Am I correct in the assumption that Freesat by itself does provide a 7 day EPG (for the satellite side) but most of those combo boxes do not for some reason? I do know that the Terrestrial channels have a 7 day guide.

Now a lot of people seem to say that this particular model Walker WP645TS-HD doesn't support 7 day EPG for Satelite but this irish site claims it does http://www.simplytv.ie/buy-online-now-for-satellite-and-aerial-equipment?page=shop.product_details&flypage=joomlaplates.tpl&product_id=89&category_id=2 (Mods: Please delete if I am not allowed to post this link here)

Here is what they say about this model:

This box is now available with 7 Day programme guide for all your favourite satellite channels...
    the only affordable box in ireland with 7 day EPG on both irish and satellite channels

Either I am misreading this info or maybe they have a special Walker version. I have not contacted them but figured I'd ask here first. If this unit does indeed have a 7 day EPG for satellite i would def. buy this over the Ariva otherwise I have to think about it a bit more.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

rh5555 wrote: »
    Here is what they say about this model:

This box is now available with 7 Day programme guide for all your favourite satellite channels...
    the only affordable box in ireland with 7 day EPG on both irish and satellite channels

Either I am misreading this info or maybe they have a special Walker version. I have not contacted them but figured I'd ask here first. If this unit does indeed have a 7 day EPG for satellite i would def. buy this over the Ariva otherwise I have to think about it a bit more.

I think Tony of satellite.ie posted here previously that a 7 day sat guide was planned for that receiver but never went ahead due to licensing reasons (open to correction on this).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

It is included on an alternate unofficial firmware but I'm not certain that its entirely stable.

The Cush wrote: »
    I think Tony of satellite.ie posted here previously that a 7 day sat guide was planned for that receiver but never went ahead due to licensing reasons (open to correction on this).

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Thank you The Cush + Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Hi,

I'm having a lot of issues with the recording part of this box. I'm on software version 2.9 and am using a 500GB externally powered HD. Sometimes I set something to record, and it doesn't record at all. Other times I have watched half a recording, go back the following day to watch the rest and the recording has disappeared. The hard drive is no where near capacity, but it still only seems to allow 3 recordings at any one time and overwrites which ever one it chooses if I try to record something else.

I did see on one of the tvtrade videos they recommend a 320GB HD and this was also mentioned in a previous post. Do you think the HD is too big and therefore, this is the problem, or is there a setting I haven't swithced on? The HD has been formatted by the box already.

The only reference to size I can see in the manual is that it should be over 1GB and that you may run into formatting issues if the drive exceeds 1TB.

Thanks

• Advertisement

pigtail33 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm having a lot of issues with the recording part of this box. I'm on software version 2.9 and am using a 500GB externally powered HD. Sometimes I set something to record, and it doesn't record at all. Other times I have watched half a recording, go back the following day to watch the rest and the recording has disappeared. The hard drive is no where near capacity, but it still only seems to allow 3 recordings at any one time and overwrites which ever one it chooses if I try to record something else.

I did see on one of the tvtrade videos they recommend a 320GB HD and this was also mentioned in a previous post. Do you think the HD is too big and therefore, this is the problem, or is there a setting I haven't swithced on? The HD has been formatted by the box already.

The only reference to size I can see in the manual is that it should be over 1GB and that you may run into formatting issues if the drive exceeds 1TB.

Thanks

Have heard it as well that 320GB is recommended size.
    Personally I too tried few different USB drives, sticks and even 64GB USB 3.0 Key. But had a many problems as well. Timer recordings not happening or failing half way through. Sometimes when open recordings library, everything would freeze up.
    Since I put in Verbatim 320GB USB HDD everything has been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Cheap USB sticks are generally too slow for video recording, some higher performance models may be more capable but hard disks should be ok unless they have some really awful USB controller.

Cheap USB sticks are generally too slow for video recording, some higher performance models may be more capable but hard disks should be ok unless they have some really awful USB controller.

One would think so but I tried with 120GB 3.5hdd in a enclosure with external power supply.
    According to pc transfer rates seemed much faster than any usb only device. (Same pc, same usb port, same 1gb video file)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

Have heard it as well that 320GB is recommended size.
    Personally I too tried few different USB drives, sticks and even 64GB USB 3.0 Key. But had a many problems as well. Timer recordings not happening or failing half way through. Sometimes when open recordings library, everything would freeze up.
    Since I put in Verbatim 320GB USB HDD everything has been fine.

Where did you purchase the Verbatim 320GB USB HDD?

Grats wrote: »

Where did you purchase the Verbatim 320GB USB HDD?

There should not be much difference in Verbatim or eny other 320gb usb hdd. Mine was bought from Expert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

There should not be much difference in Verbatim or eny other 320gb usb hdd. Mine was bought from Expert

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

could someone send me a link to the patched epg with the 7day sat guide?

the one in the earlier post is set to private http://www.mediafire.com/error.php?errno=999#!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mackdaddy

any update on this box???

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭hernie

raddo wrote: »
    Just wondering if the software and channel list for this box will also work for the saorview approved Normende combi box as they both seem to be the same type unit ie epg, size of box, remote, etc?

I have the Nordmende combi box and upgraded it with the Walker firmware v2.9 Went smoothly, no problems encountered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

hernie wrote: »
    I have the Nordmende combi box and upgraded it with the Walker firmware v2.9 Went smoothly, no problems encountered.

I would not recommend this to anyone unless the box is out of warranty and you are havin a major problem and cannot find the proper firmware.

The danger is you could "brick" your box. There may be slight variations in different models or even serial numbers of boxes. Extra memory or different chips could be used depending on when the box was built.

If you put incompatable software on to a box there is a danger you would not be able to go back to the old software and the box would stop working forever.

It's up to anyone to decide, but base the rewards on the risk.

Advertisement