Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walker WP645TS-HD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

This box arrived by courier this morning from TvTrade,must admit I was pleasantly surprised by it, updated it to v3.8 for sat free,seemed fine for a couple of hours but has frozen 3 times since, the channel is playing but no buttons work unless I plug it out and put it back in, anybody any suggestions, should I send it back,its not the sat dish or cables as my tv has a sat tuner and everything is running fine through that, I also have another problem but not the boxes fault,its for another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

manutd83 wrote: »
    should I send it back,its not the sat dish or cables as my tv has a sat tuner and everything is running fine through that, I also have another problem but not the boxes fault,its for another thread

Perhaps boards member Digital Satellite TV of TV Trade may be able to sort you out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 coopershels

manutd83 wrote: »
    This box arrived by courier this morning from TvTrade,must admit I was pleasantly surprised by it, updated it to v3.8 for sat free,seemed fine for a couple of hours but has frozen 3 times since, the channel is playing but no buttons work unless I plug it out and put it back in, anybody any suggestions, should I send it back,its not the sat dish or cables as my tv has a sat tuner and everything is running fine through that, I also have another problem but not the boxes fault,its for another thread

It's not a faulty receiver. It's a glitch with the satfree set up. If you scan through the channels slower it seems to freeze less but i think it's worth putting up with for the epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

The Cush wrote: »
    Perhaps boards member Digital Satellite TV of TV Trade may be able to sort you out here.

We did notice during our initial testing of the SatFree EPG that going nuts with the remote causes the response to lag a lot on occassions.

As mentioned in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2vFE06Rk-0E

Just take it handy and you'll get there. It's worth the patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭hernie

I installed the new 3.8 firmware on my Nordmende NM7100 combo box. No problems so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mousi

Hey Guys, can anyone tell me if series link works for the Saorview side of things on this box,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

mousi wrote: »
    can anyone tell me if series link works for the Saorview side of things on this box,cheers

I believe series link only works on approved PVRs, i.e. receivers with built-in HDD. The Walker WP645TS-HD is a combi receiver but not a PVR.

The Cush wrote: »
    I believe series link only works on approved PVRs, i.e. receivers with built-in HDD. The Walker WP645TS-HD is a combi receiver but not a PVR.

Thanks for answering that for me

I see in the video that BBC London is set as the region, looks good. I remember the Sat4Free boxes were hard-coded to NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

I got one of these for my sister a few months ago. Installed no problem and was working fine. I'm based in Dublin but she's in Galway and I got a text last week saying all the channels were gone. I was down at the weekend and when I looked at it all the satellite channels had been erased and it had to be set up again from scratch to tell it what antenna was coming into it. All fine but I've just got another text to say they are gone again. Now it's possible that it's something she is doing but I wouldn't have thought that the satellite channels were that easy to erase. Anyone else had a similar problem? The terrestrial channels are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

What online abilities does this box have, if any, if I hook up to my router

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

cgc5483 wrote: »
    I got one of these for my sister a few months ago. Installed no problem and was working fine. I'm based in Dublin but she's in Galway and I got a text last week saying all the channels were gone. I was down at the weekend and when I looked at it all the satellite channels had been erased and it had to be set up again from scratch to tell it what antenna was coming into it. All fine but I've just got another text to say they are gone again. Now it's possible that it's something she is doing but I wouldn't have thought that the satellite channels were that easy to erase. Anyone else had a similar problem? The terrestrial channels are fine.

I had this problem too, if you go to Configure in the menu, scroll down and highlight the software version, press ok on the right hand side you'll see some more info, can't recall exactly what but change the 'scan over broadcast' to off. Not sure if this is actually the fix but it seemed to work for me!

I got one of these today, purely out of interest.

It actually seems to be a pretty decent piece of kit. It came with version 2.0 but I updated it to 3.8 via USB. The SatFree mode is an almost perfect clone of Freesat, the 7-day EPG and even MHEG-5/red button works. The interactive channels in the 900s also display, 999 Freesat info seems to work. The others report that the box isn't supported (but they wouldn't work on an Irish IP anyway). It's hard coded to the London EPG, some might prefer NI but I'm happy with London. You could add UTV to the FTA satellite mode if you really wanted it.

Video playback from the USB port also works. Only tried MP4 and MPEG-4 HD TS files but they both played back fine.

My only real complaint is that it is quite sluggish in SatFree mode (as was already mentioned) but it's probably the closest you'll get to a set and forget system in one simple unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

If only the STB had a internal 500GB hardrive...

Fingers crossed Walker's next Saorview Combi box has

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Does anybody know how to get sky news text on this box?

It is on old sky box with no subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Just had one installed today, very happy to be rid of that Sky subscription but I think the picture quality from the Sky box was a lot better than the one from this Walker, even the SaorView picture from the aerial doesn't look as good as the Sky feed. Is this the norm ? Does something like a Humax have a better picture quality ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Does your tv have HDMI connection? Is the box connected with HDMI cable?

Yup, its connected through the exact same HDMI port as the Sky Box was.

menu -> settings -> configuration -> output settings. Make sure it is highest setting possible (1080i).

Yeah, it was on 1080i. Kind of disappointed with the picture quality but at the same time delirious to be finished with paying the Sky subscription. Maybe the Sky Box had the sharpness enhanced or something, must plug it back in and go through the picture settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 coopershels

Unusual, because I found the picture on the walker to be excellent. Just as good as Sky.

Unusual, because I found the picture on the walker to be excellent. Just as good as Sky.

+1 to that

Ah dammit ... now I'm gonna have to go tweaking !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

elsie1b wrote: »
    Is anybody having problems with this firmware like,
    sticking on one channel on satfree,
    remote not working,
    stations not staying in satellite memory,
    frequently having to turn box off to get it working again ?

Same.... my walker was fine... it upgraded itself a few weeks ago and now I have constant problems with it freezing and I need to reset by pulling the wall plug.

I think I want to go back to the origional formware but I'm not sure what that was? I bout it at Xmas just passed, what was stable then?

Also.. can you put a lock on the adult grouping in satfree?

Hi Mate, i had the same issues with freezing i reverted back to the previous firmware v2.9 here is a link for it on the tvtrade website
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/blog/walker-wp645ts-hd-v2-9-fimware-cross-recording-update/
    also has a tutorial explaining the procedure,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

I find that if you use the satfree option only infrequently that you might as well leave it on the new firmware.
    It actually seems to have fewer failed recordings on this firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Had a little problem with my Walker WP645TS-HD box just today.

It seemed to have lost the channel setup and was starting up in "First Time Installation" screen. Even when I rescanned the channels in...they were not saved and it immediately goes back to the "First Time Installation" screen. I tried powering it off at the plug etc. too...no joy.

After a few restarts and re-scanning (maybe about 4 or 5 times) .. the channel setup finally succeeded in staying saved.

Its about 6 Months old(been working perfect until today). Anybody else come accross this behaviour? its worrying :-(

About a month ago the software was upgraded (automatically) to v3.8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i saw on tvtrade that this box can only be used to record what you are currently watching? To be clear on this, does this mean you cannot schedule recordings? Or that you cannot record one thing while watching another?

Also is the channel list seamless between satellite and saorview or do you have to manually tell it which tuner?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

i saw on tvtrade that this box can only be used to record what you are currently watching? To be clear on this, does this mean you cannot schedule recordings? Or that you cannot record one thing while watching another?

Also is the channel list seamless between satellite and saorview or do you have to manually tell it which tuner?

that used to be true but after v2.9 firmware you can watch Irish channel and record UK channel and vice versa.

see http://www.tvtrade.ie/blog/walker-wp645ts-hd-v2-9-fimware-cross-recording-update/

You press the OPT button on remote to go between UK and Irish EPG ie they are not in one channel list.

see below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBlRnoDasfA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

thanks for that!! Would appreciate if you can advise if there is a box that has seamless channel list (I guess via PM as this thread is specifically about the walker) If not then I will be going for this one!

Advertisement