Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, you're officially long term unemployed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

What time is it there now?

Sure it's breakfast time back home! It always is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

yore wrote: »
    Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. Have you done anything to put yourself further up the queue? You've applied for 12 jobs. Never heard back. 12 people have gotton those jobs. You haven't. If you keep doing the same thing over, and it's not working, you can't expect to be getting a different result.
    I'm not picking on you. Fair play for trying. Lots of people don't bother. But the purpose of the thread was not simply "How hard are you trying to find a job". It was more subtle than that. I'm asking what have you done/learned in the meantime to add to your skill set to make you stand out?
    You said that the recruitment company asked you a few times to update your CV. Which would lead me to believe that it hadn't been changed in a while. When you are applying for a job, you should always tailor your CV and cover letter for that job. That doesn't mean lying. It just means putting more emphasis the relevant points. You may have won a medal at the U16 community games and gotten an A1 in accountancy in the Leaving. If you are applying for a job in an office doing payroll, you might want to place emphasis on the accountancy result and not bother putting in your medal. Whereas if you were applying for a position in the local gym, they probably don't give a sh1te about your exact grade in Accountancy for the Leaving, but might be interested in the fact that you were/are an athlete.
    I did have in mind a video from one of Vincent Browne's shows a few months back. I'll try and find it later maybe and post it. Only on a quick break here!

F#@k me, the most condescending post award goes to...

smcgiff wrote: »
    F#@k me, the most condescending post award goes to...

In what was is that supposed to be condescending? It's good advice. It's telling people to highlight their skills. Implicit in that, is that they probably have more skills than they think or present.
    As I said, 12 job applications. Someone else is getting those jobs. And others are getting called to those interviews! I'm giving the poster a few tips to help him get called to future interviews
    Or perhaps your attitude is along the lines that "You can't polish a turd" and therefore he/she is just not good enough. Mine is that they probably are just as good as the person who gets the job, but they should tailor the CV and then figure out what they need to add to it to get them to the interview stage!!
    Or maybe even start thinking about changing field
    Is it because I said "Leaving cert" and "U16" Jesus, if I said MSc. or PhD you'd call me elitist.
    I will definitely find and post that video link later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

thats what ya get for choosing a hobby type degree lol

dunno why grants are available for courses that dont really do much for getting jobs. Humanities being one such pointless degree course. Sure it might be interesting but as a hobby not a career choice.

I didnt really I was kicked out of the house and couldnt get any other courses I'm pretty sure I wasnt going to get any other courses the time and would of went into state care so i had to move out I was happy doing it I had somewhere to live for a few years and if youre into something "pointless" from a young age and everything else goes to **** it can be the one thing that keeps you going, I didnt the opportunity to make a career choice at 16 but I have a career with my work its just not sustainable but it isnt pointless it actually served me really well things could be a lot worse, no matter what I do no matter how mind numbing or depressing I did what I wanted to do in life financially rewarding or not. Frustrating it is how I will have to go through the education system again won't have the funds for years so im at a stand still.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

I'm pretty sure that even if those on the dole busted their balls and got that job it would mean somebody else on the dole didn't get it.

Now I'm not an economist nor an expert in anyway but it does seem to me that the answer might be to create/attract more jobs rather than encouraging those fighting for the scraps to fight harder.

if x=number of vacancies
    and y=number of unemployed
    if y>x then all this talk is just verbal flatulence.
    just sayin'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

In what was is that supposed to be condescending? It's good advice. It's telling people to highlight their skills. Implicit in that, is that they probably have more skills than they think or present.
    As I said, 12 job applications. Someone else is getting those jobs. And others are getting called to those interviews! I'm giving the poster a few tips to help him get called to future interviews
    Or perhaps your attitude is along the lines that "You can't polish a turd" and therefore he/she is just not good enough. Mine is that they probably are just as good as the person who gets the job, but they should tailor the CV and then figure out what they need to add to it to get them to the interview stage!!
    Or maybe even start thinking about changing field
    Is it because I said "Leaving cert" and "U16" Jesus, if I said MSc. or PhD you'd call me elitist.
    I will definitely find and post that video link later on.

You made huge assumptions about the poster and then posted some very basic advice as if you were divulging the third secret of Fatima

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

CruelCoin wrote: »
    As an employer, the biggest thing i have to say is polish your goddam CV....

If you're at home for that length of time and your CV is anything less than immaculate in every way, then it speaks volumes.
    Spelling errors, syntax, innapropriate e-mail listed, poor layout, etc etc.
    I can only assume that the lack of attention to detail and accuracy in the CV will be carried over to their work.
    Also, do some charity work. Working for free look immensly better on your cv than a 2 year long blank gap....Its looks awfull and paints you as a person out to do the bare minimum.

I suppose that means my Ilikedoggy2@anal.com email addy falls into that category. must change it :(

forfuxsake wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that even if those on the dole busted their balls and got that job it would mean somebody else on the dole didn't get it.

Now I'm not an economist nor an expert in anyway but it does seem to me that the answer might be to create/attract more jobs rather than encouraging those fighting for the scraps to fight harder.

if x=number of vacancies
    and y=number of unemployed
    if y>x then all this talk is just verbal flatulence.
    just sayin'.

Did you ever consider that by people trying their hardest, and raising standards overall, it might have the effect of attracting more jobs? :rolleyes: The easiest to understand example might be in attracting in outside investment.

Then there are lots of jobs in IT etc. which by all accounts cannot be filled by Irish people (not enough of them with the necessary skills) and people are coming in from abroad to fill those.

Why is it always someone else's fault/responsibility to go and create a job for you. The more skills you have, the more flexible you are and the more you have the knowledge to start and create your own business and maybe create that job for someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

mattjack wrote: »
    I jus' love this threads......:)

Me too :) I managed to do a lot actually.

I became a founder of an online community TV Station.

Learnt edit, camera work, directing and producing of 2 series, and 2 documentary s (from scratch). One of these series is designed to bring people together and get experience, in their creative fields, (hopefully then get them off the dole).

Saw my mother Alzheimer mother through, breast cancer surgery, she is now on the mend.

Since I left my Job, 7 people are now being employed or the had a wage increase directly to me leaving my job.

So I would say yes, I have managed to do something, I really love how everyone thinks people unemployed or on social are a waste a space.

I shall reverse the thread, what have you do since you have being employed, beside bitch about paying your taxs, (which I do) and call everyone on the social a using wanker?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

BlueSmoker wrote: »

Learnt edit, camera work, directing and producing of 2 series, and 2 documentary s (from scratch). One of these series is designed to bring people together and get experience, in their creative fields, (hopefully then get them off the dole).

Saw my mother Alzheimer mother through, breast cancer surgery, she is now on the mend.

Since I left my Job, 7 people are now being employed or the had a wage increase directly to me leaving my job.

So I would say yes, I have managed to do something, I really love how everyone thinks people unemployed or on social are a waste a space.

I shall reverse the thread, what have you do since you have being employed, beside bitch about paying your taxs, (which I do) and call everyone on the social a using wanker?

Sir , I tip my hat to you.

• Advertisement

smcgiff wrote: »
    You made huge assumptions about the poster and then posted some very basic advice as if you were divulging the third secret of Fatima

What were these assumptions. Ignoring the fact that their response to the question
    yore wrote:
    You've been a year on the dole for over a year.....so what the f$#@ have you done about it?

Giving out about the government/economy/bankers, blaming everyone else, ringing Joe Duffy or ranting on internet forums doesn't count. And I'm not asking how many times you forwarded your standard CV and cover letter onto various employers.

What have you achieved in the last year to increase your employability? New skills? Learned a language? Coached the local under 10 team? I could go on all night.

was to list off how many times they forwarded on their CV. Part of their post was
    apply for jobs
    wait
    get automated response email acknowledging receiving your applications
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    receive email from Recruitment firm asking me for an updated CV
    upload updated cv
    wait

My assumption was that he did not update or tailor his CV in between those applications and waits. Was this an unfair assumption? I don't think so
    A) Because he never said he updated it
    B) Because he said the recruiting agency asked him to update it. They would hardly do that unless it hadn't been changed in a while

As for posting basic advice don't be so arrogant as to assume that because you know something, that everyone else must know it.

Another poster, which was quoted above, gave basically the same advice from the perspective of an employer. It may be basic advice, but a lot of people get it wrong!

Fair play. This is what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure if the last question is directed at me, but if it is, feel free to direct it to me and I'll answer it later! I'd rather not answer it though or I'll be called condescending or arrogant or some such sh1te.

What were these assumptions. Ignoring the fact that their response to the question

was to list off how many times they forwarded on their CV. Part of their post was

My assumption was that he did not update or tailor his CV in between those applications and waits. Was this an unfair assumption? I don't think so
    A) Because he never said he updated it
    B) Because he said the recruiting agency asked him to update it. They would hardly do that unless it hadn't been changed in a while

As for posting basic advice don't be so arrogant as to assume that because you know something, that everyone else must know it.

Another poster, which was quoted above, gave basically the same advice from the perspective of an employer. It may be basic advice, but a lot of people get it wrong!

What exactly is your job in the govnerment, human resourses? I love the way you are talking about CV's, when in all probability in this market, for a job going the personnel officer probably get 50 prefect applicatiants for the 1 job. People seem to be living in a time wharp. There not that many jobs out there, as far as I can see re-education peoples skills is the answer. (And not the half arsed attempt by the government either, experience needs to be had in peoples choosen field.

Fair play. This is what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure if the last question is directed at me, but if it is, feel free to direct it to me and I'll answer it later! I'd rather not answer it though or I'll be called condescending or arrogant or some such sh1te.

nope wasn't directed at you just the amount of threads I have seen over the last 3 years, directed at people who are on the social, and then using as an example how they saw such and such buy a playstation 3 (while on the social) and they we're extremely angry, before then no one gave a crap.

Ok here my take on it, and it's a positive, I'm going to post now and get back to the positives and my take. :) cos it take to long otherwise

Alot of people on the social right now lost their jobs (I think at the height of the boom we had something like 50,000 full time unemployed people. I would ask Why?) but now we have 10 times that amount, alot very qualified and quite highly qualified (and believe me I would get a job in Macdonalds easier than these people, if I want, why cause I have experience 20 years in retail)

Ok the positives we have here, if we would only use them, and stop thinking everything would be alright, communities start talking to each other, example you want a extension built,

example 1: You know your neighbours,(all out of work) one is a builder, one is an architect, one is an surveryor. you chat with them within your community (estate) they agree to do the job, the finish the job and it's a success. All of a sudden you have either 1 business or 3 free lancers in business, using your extensions as their starting point (some may fail, some will succeed, but at least it's better than calling people just losers on the social)

example 2: Know none of your neighbours, (and believe the celtic tiger (which is now a pup) will be the phoenix that rises, it was a balloon phoenix in the first place :D ) and fit this on your own, which is why we are in this mess, cause we never took time out during the boom to help each other out, that's what we need to do now. Not moaning about who has what with no evidence. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Alot of people on the social right now lost their jobs (I think at the height of the boom we had something like 50,000 full time unemployed people. I would ask Why?) but now we have 10 times that amount, alot very qualified and quite highly qualified (and believe me I would get a job in Macdonalds easier than these people, if I want, why cause I have experience 20 years in retail)

Ok the positives we have here, if we would only use them, and stop thinking everything would be alright, communities start talking to each other, example you want a extension built,

example 1: You know your neighbours,(all out of work) one is a builder, one is an architect, one is an surveryor. you chat with them within your community (estate) they agree to do the job, the finish the job and it's a success. All of a sudden you have either 1 business or 3 free lancers in business, using your extensions as their starting point (some may fail, some will succeed, but at least it's better than calling people just losers on the social)

example 2: Know none of your neighbours, (and believe the celtic tiger (which is now a pup) will be the phoenix that rises, it was a balloon phoenix in the first place :D ) and fit this on your own, which is why we are in this mess, cause we never took time out during the boom to help each other out, that's what we need to do now. Not moaning about who has what with no evidence. :)

I find your point very hard to follow. Your post reads like a jumble of abstract thoughts.

Do you mean we should all let our unemployed neighbours build our houses/extensions from baloon phoenixes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. Have you done anything to put yourself further up the queue? You've applied for 12 jobs. Never heard back. 12 people have gotton those jobs. You haven't. If you keep doing the same thing over, and it's not working, you can't expect to be getting a different result.
    I'm not picking on you. Fair play for trying. Lots of people don't bother. But the purpose of the thread was not simply "How hard are you trying to find a job". It was more subtle than that. I'm asking what have you done/learned in the meantime to add to your skill set to make you stand out?
    You said that the recruitment company asked you a few times to update your CV. Which would lead me to believe that it hadn't been changed in a while. When you are applying for a job, you should always tailor your CV and cover letter for that job. That doesn't mean lying. It just means putting more emphasis the relevant points. You may have won a medal at the U16 community games and gotten an A1 in accountancy in the Leaving. If you are applying for a job in an office doing payroll, you might want to place emphasis on the accountancy result and not bother putting in your medal. Whereas if you were applying for a position in the local gym, they probably don't give a sh1te about your exact grade in Accountancy for the Leaving, but might be interested in the fact that you were/are an athlete.
    I did have in mind a video from one of Vincent Browne's shows a few months back. I'll try and find it later maybe and post it. Only on a quick break here!
    He/she said that they took an internship. Read the whole post before giving the answer you were going to give before you read the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Being in wickla I can take nice walks in some of countries most beautiful landscapes, eat random mushrooms and spend the afternoon having intermittent halucinations. Life is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Doing Fas courses, applying for jobs, applying for college, preparing for college interviews.
    Keeping fit and trying not to go insane.
    That's about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

oh and I don't know why I feel the need to mention this, but I have looked into doing courses with FAS, but none of them are at my level of education, so it'd be an enormous waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

I know a few people who rarely had steady jobs in their lives. One is kind of different but intelligent..I think that's why not many people want to give her a chance and the other person has had such bad experiences in the few jobs he had i.e the boss and workers treated him badly no matter how hard he tried to fit in so now he is in fear of having to look for a job because he has low self esteem and confidence from the last jobs he had that he believes hes not good enought.

Unbelievably basic and condescending. And by the way I don't think anyone wants that poxy video.

dirtyden wrote: »
    I find your point very hard to follow. Your post reads like a jumble of abstract thoughts.

Do you mean we should all let our unemployed neighbours build our houses/extensions from baloon phoenixes?

No I didn't say that re read it, I suggested maybe communities could help each other, the "balloon phoenix" is what is the "celtic tiger" perception of where we our now. basically one is reality, one is fiction, and to make it clear building communities is how we need to go "reality" :) hope that helps

Ok how many people in a hole, with finances, have turned to their neighbour, I see my neighbour next door with two cars, they most be alright, and I have only one. We need to get our heads out of the "celtic tigers ass" eg there is no jobs or money being spent, cause people our terrified, your neighbours our the same as you, and as terrified as you are, do you ask them for help ever, or just pretend everything is ok? Which it isn't, start chatting and working something out, to benifit you both instead of sitting there and complaining you and your neighbour on your individual laptops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

thats what ya get for choosing a hobby type degree lol

dunno why grants are available for courses that dont really do much for getting jobs. Humanities being one such pointless degree course. Sure it might be interesting but as a hobby not a career choice.

Absolute garbage.

dirtyden wrote: »
    He/she said that they took an internship. Read the whole post before giving the answer you were going to give before you read the post.

May I respectfully suggest you might want to think about taking your own advice
    in the end i took an internship just to get out of the house

It's reasonable to infer from that that the poster themselves did not think that the internship was in any way beneficial.

Contrast that to some of the other poster who list out the positive things that they've done.

If the poster had said:

I applied for jobs, got rejected,
    applied again,
    Did this continuously for a year. But eventually managed to find myself an internship where I was able to get on the job experience and keep myself up to speed

then I would have viewed his response in a more positive light.

Unbelievably basic and condescending. And by the way I don't think anyone wants that poxy video.

Great. When did you become "Der Furher" of what people do and do not want to see. If I post it, just don't look at it!

What exactly is your job in the govnerment, human resourses? I love the way you are talking about CV's, when in all probability in this market, for a job going the personnel officer probably get 50 prefect applicatiants for the 1 job. People seem to be living in a time wharp. There not that many jobs out there, as far as I can see re-education peoples skills is the answer. (And not the half arsed attempt by the government either, experience needs to be had in peoples choosen field.

Hold on, why are you taking the salient point of my initial post and trying to turn it against me in an argument!

The reason I talked about CVs is whenever I go home and ask people how things are, if they are out of work they just tell me "I'm sending off X amounts of CVs a week". Never "I'm taking books/tapes out of the library to brush up on my French/Spanish to try to get a job as X" or "I'm reading the internet to learn about XHTML to expand on the basic webdesign course I did in college". Or what about, "I'm taking some of the first year accountancy exams in the hope that it'll get me a start with an accountancy firm". Sure enough, one poster decided to tell me his exciting story which seemed to consist of him sending off the same CV to random employers and then crying because none of them contacted him back personally :rolleyes:

oh and I don't know why I feel the need to mention this, but I have looked into doing courses with FAS, but none of them are at my level of education, so it'd be an enormous waste of time.

That's perfectly reasonable. There's no point doing an ECDL if you have done a degree in Computer Science etc.

Although sometimes if you want to change field, you might have to start at the bottom with a basic course, so I wouldn't rule it out. Neither would I say that those courses are not good. I mentioned ECDL above. There's nothing wrong with doing it if you have little or no experience with computers.

• Advertisement

May I respectfully suggest you might want to think about taking your own advice

It's reasonable to infer from that that the poster themselves did not think that the internship was in any way beneficial.

Contrast that to some of the other poster who list out the positive things that they've done.

If the poster had said:

I applied for jobs, got rejected,
    applied again,
    Did this continuously for a year. But eventually managed to find myself an internship where I was able to get on the job experience and keep myself up to speed

then I would have viewed his response in a more positive light.

I actually agree here, no one should do an intership, unless the actually believe they will get experience in their choice of career, the problem is that we how have a false sense of what interimship means due to the government, allowing businesses to abuse it.

In my sister's charity companies she has one or two, of course he has to answer the phones, but he is also allowed input into the web design for fund raising, and he's was a school leaver on the program, his input has being exactly what she needed, as far as I can see he is loving it, and she is loving having him. :)

but intership has to = value for the experience given. (I already know how to sweep a floor, thanks :))

Advertisement