Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provincial Schools thread 2012-2013 *MOD WARNING POST 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dev5976

ormond lad wrote: »
    Gerards played Blackrock House 1sts on wednesday.
    what exactly is the house team? Is it boarders or what exactly?
    Tomorrows senior games
    Terenure v Blackrock
    Methody Belfast v St Marys
    St. Munchin's v Crescent Comp
    Rockwell v Ard Scoil Ris
    and Tomorrows junior games
    P.B.C. v Blackrock College
    Rockwell v Ard Scoil Ris
    Terenure v St Marys

The House team is their 4th and 5th Year team, not including those boys who are on the sct.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Dev5976 wrote: »
    The House team is their 4th and 5th Year team, not including those boys who are on the sct.

In Terenure, they would be the senior seconds and thirds, each college give their own name to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

fox_1973 wrote: »
    In Terenure, they would be the senior seconds and thirds, each college give their own name to them
    thanks but after googling it and its as Dev5976 says
    think its just blackrock have enough numbers to field different teams for example here - castle sides are 4th/5th years and the house sides are 6th years

think its just blackrock have enough numbers to field different teams for example here - castle sides are 4th/5th years and the house sides are 6th years

I stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dev5976

Other way around, but right concept. Castle are the 6th year only team and House are the 4th & 5th year team.

• Advertisement

Marys lost to Methody College Belfast yesterday 47-0

Just looking at irish age grade calender for the season.
    Its only 2 weeks until the irish u18 squads meet up for their 1st training camps of the season(29th october to november 2nd)
    The 2 squads will spend 2 days training in cork/limerick, and 3 days in clongowes and while in clongowes the irish youths will play the irish schools.
    The irish 19s will also be in Limerick/Cork and Clongowes that week

It'll be interesting to see who and how many make each squad for these sessions

Games on saturday
    Snr
    Terenure v Rockwell
    Belvedere v St Marys
    CBC Cork v Crescent Comp
    PBC Cork v St Munchins
    Jnr
    PBC Cork v St Marys

Terenure and Rockwell game should be good as nure are being tipped in Leinster and Rockwell will be very strong in Munster this year

Games on saturday
    Snr
    Terenure v Rockwell
    Belvedere v St Marys
    CBC Cork v Crescent Comp
    PBC Cork v St Munchins
    Jnr
    PBC Cork v St Marys

Terenure and Rockwell game should be good as nure are being tipped in Leinster and Rockwell will be very strong in Munster this year

Terenure v Rockwell is off, Terenure are now playing Casteknock away

Terenure v Rockwell is off, Terenure are now playing Casteknock away
    Why nure rockwell game off?

Results of senior/junior development games from the last 2 weeks
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/newsroom/10461

The draws for the Leinster Schools Duff and McMullen Cup competitions took place in the Leinster Rugby office in UCD on Thursday afternoon...
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/newsroom/10504

Duff and McMullen Cups are the cups for the section A schools

Video highlights of the methody belfast v st marys game that was played last saturday
    http://www.intouchrugby.com/magazine/2012/10/18/intouch-tv-presents-methodist-college-rugby-i-xv-scored-47-we-got-it-all-conversions-tries-vid-is-live-v-st-marys-0/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭specttator

Anybody know ko time for CWC V Michaels Sat pm.

specttator wrote: »
    Anybody know ko time for CWC V Michaels Sat pm.
    2.30pm

JCT Friendly
    20/10/12 @10.30
    Belvedere College-JCT v Terenure College-JCT

SCT Friendlys
    20/10/12 @12pm
    Belvedere College-SCT v St.Marys College-SCT
    @14.30
    Clongowes Wood-SCT v St.Michaels-SCT

wrt the irish 18s/19s squads below are the michaels players who are in the irish squads
    "Congratulations to Nick McCarthy, Ross Byrne, Josh Murphy, Alex Penny, Adam Leavy and James Ryan who have been selected for the Irish U18 camp over the mid term. And also to Ross Molony, Cian Kelleher, and past pupil Rory O’Loughlin who have been selected for the Irish U19 camp."

2.30pm

JCT Friendly
    20/10/12 @10.30
    Belvedere College-JCT v Terenure College-JCT

SCT Friendlys
    20/10/12 @12pm
    Belvedere College-SCT v St.Marys College-SCT
    @14.30
    Clongowes Wood-SCT v St.Michaels-SCT

wrt the irish 18s/19s squads below are the michaels players who are in the irish squads
    "Congratulations to Nick McCarthy, Ross Byrne, Josh Murphy, Alex Penny, Adam Leavy and James Ryan who have been selected for the Irish U18 camp over the mid term. And also to Ross Molony, Cian Kelleher, and past pupil Rory O’Loughlin who have been selected for the Irish U19 camp."
    So 'nure and Castleknock drew 10-10 and Clongowes and Michaels drew 24-24
    Any result from Belvedere and Marys?
    Weekly report from games played up in ulster
    http://www.intouchrugby.com/magazine/2012/10/21/northern-bank-ulster-schools-round-up-saturday-20th-october-2012-by-barney-mcgonigle/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Anyone know when the U18 Schools squad is being announced?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Anyone know when the U18 Schools squad is being announced?
    Squads prob will be announced tomorrow
    These are the players i know will be involved in the 18s schools and 19s squads. in the 19s squad are Dan Goggin, a st munchins college centre and an exile James Falconer.
    Luke O Halloran(St Munchins) is in the 18s schools squad and he is a hooker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Any news on the u19/u18 squads. Is it the sort of thing that will be announced via the website?

Any word on how the u18 clubs v u18 schools game went today?
    Or what the 19s squad is?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭thetruth_time

Any word on how the u18 clubs v u18 schools game went today?
    Or what the 19s squad is?
    Game was only 20 mins a side for some reason. The schools won 1 try to nil in miserable conditions. Not sure why any of the squads have not been posted yet on irfu website!!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Game was only 20 mins a side for some reason. The schools won 1 try to nil in miserable conditions. Not sure why any of the squads have not been posted yet on irfu website!!

The clubs picked two teams out of their panel and played a game against each other before the two teams both played a half each against the schools. The first half was top drawer stuff in tough conditions the second half was good as well with the schools scoring a try towards the end. The schools were much better organised especially around the breakdown but the clubs did not lie down and the first half team pushed them all the way, putting them under real pressure when they got going. I thought that the schools would dominate and score at will. They had (I'm not 100% sure) I am told 21 Leinster players in the schools panel and the clubs were just meeting up for the first time as a group. The standard I thought was very very high in the conditions. No conversions or penalty kicks were taken to keep it flowing, ref was letting lots go.

I would not read too much into the result other than the fact that there are some serious talents in both those groups. The schools were the better side, lots of changes were made on both teams and you could see certain players moving around loads, especially in the clubs as the schools seem to know their players better. I think there was lots of positives for the coaches. This is a good year group.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭thetruth_time

Stanza2 wrote: »

The clubs picked two teams out of their panel and played a game against each other before the two teams both played a half each against the schools. The first half was top drawer stuff in tough conditions the second half was good as well with the schools scoring a try towards the end. The schools were much better organised especially around the breakdown but the clubs did not lie down and the first half team pushed them all the way, putting them under real pressure when they got going. I thought that the schools would dominate and score at will. They had (I'm not 100% sure) I am told 21 Leinster players in the schools panel and the clubs were just meeting up for the first time as a group. The standard I thought was very very high in the conditions. No conversions or penalty kicks were taken to keep it flowing, ref was letting lots go.

I would not read too much into the result other than the fact that there are some serious talents in both those groups. The schools were the better side, lots of changes were made on both teams and you could see certain players moving around loads, especially in the clubs as the schools seem to know their players better. I think there was lots of positives for the coaches. This is a good year group.
    Good summary. Interesting to see that the young coaches from Clongowes and Rockwell are coaching the schools. Was taken back when I saw the team being addressed at half time as they looked as young as the players, still in their 20s I would think. Brave move from the IRFU!!

• Advertisement

League starts back tomorrow after midterm break
    Castleknock and Newbridge lead the way in section A of the senior league and are playing each other in Castleknock while in section B Monkstown and Kings Hospital are in 1st and 2nd.
    In the friendlies circuit Pres Bray play DLS Churchtown tomorrow and saturday Michaels host Belvedere, Clongowes host Terenure, Marys travel down to Tipp to face Rockwell and 'rock host PBC

Just saw on twitter that Marys beat Clongowes in their game today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Baltra

most of the Irish u18 schools squad that had been in camp last week is below
    Nick McCarthy St Michaels
    Ross Byrne St Michaels
    Josh Murphy St Michaels
    Alex Penny St Michaels
    Adam Leavy St Michaels
    James Ryan St Michaels
    Luke O Halloran St Munchins
    Fergal Cleary Clongowes

Darryl Morton Royal School Armagh
    Jack Owens Campbell College
    Josh Fullerton Campbell College
    Cormac Brennan Cistercian Roscrea
    Rory Moloney Cistercian Roscrea
    Oisin Heffernan Cistercian Roscrea

Andy Roche Terenure
    Rob Lalor Terenure
    Patrick Thornton Terenure
    Tim Schmidt Terenure
    Harrison Brewer Terenure
    Billy Dardis Terenure
    Greg O Shea Crescent Comp

Whats with the story about school games being played at night?
    Surely the schools games are about the school pupils all in attendance and if games are at evening time there might be fewer current pupils and more ex pupils.
    While games in the evenings may suit more parents who wont have to take time off work to watch their sons play but it may impact the number of current pupils who attend the games

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Whats with the story about school games being played at night?
    Surely the schools games are about the school pupils all in attendance and if games are at evening time there might be fewer current pupils and more ex pupils.
    While games in the evenings may suit more parents who wont have to take time off work to watch their sons play but it may impact the number of current pupils who attend the games

It's a tough one, because even when the matches are during the day you get a certain number of pupils skiving off the matches, but I don't think it'll affect most pupils who are passionate about their rugby. In my school there was always a bus to take 1st years to the matches so I assume the schools will run a similar thing for the late matches.

As a past pupil though I'm quite happy with it as it means I can defo get to the games. I heard somethign about a draw being made after each round is complete? Can't see how it would rectify the problem of lopsided draws. Anyone know if this is definite?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

just wondering does anyone know how gorey are getting on this year think they did fairly well last year think they won the McMullen Cup last year.how are the other if any wexfors schools getting on?

just wondering does anyone know how gorey are getting on this year think they did fairly well last year think they won the McMullen Cup last year.how are the other if any wexfors schools getting on?
    Look at the leinster website. their is regular updates on results on the development cups that gorey and the other wexford schools play in

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Gorey won't be as good this year.

It's a tough one, because even when the matches are during the day you get a certain number of pupils skiving off the matches, but I don't think it'll affect most pupils who are passionate about their rugby. In my school there was always a bus to take 1st years to the matches so I assume the schools will run a similar thing for the late matches.

As a past pupil though I'm quite happy with it as it means I can defo get to the games. I heard somethign about a draw being made after each round is complete? Can't see how it would rectify the problem of lopsided draws. Anyone know if this is definite?
    I dont agree with it as in my view it shows the branch are looking to the off the field stuff and thinking that they can get bigger crowds and more money than by hosting games during the day like they do currently. Numbers of current pupils may go down which would be a loss to the games.

A draw after every round of matches is a good idea as it may help rectify the issue of lopsided draws.
    Only shame that proposals have not been made to change the competition structure.
    Would love it if the comp structure was changed to give teams more games and not 1 shot and you're gone. as for all the work the players put in over the year and the previous years with training 4/5 times a week and playing 14/15 friendlies to be out of the main comp after only 70 minutes is crazy. why not change things so that some of those "friendlies" can be full blooded cup games.

• Advertisement

Baltra wrote: »
    most of the Irish u18 schools squad that had been in camp last week is below
    Nick McCarthy St Michaels
    Ross Byrne St Michaels
    Josh Murphy St Michaels
    Alex Penny St Michaels
    Adam Leavy St Michaels
    James Ryan St Michaels
    Luke O Halloran St Munchins
    Fergal Cleary Clongowes

Darryl Morton Royal School Armagh
    Jack Owens Campbell College
    Josh Fullerton Campbell College
    Cormac Brennan Cistercian Roscrea
    Rory Moloney Cistercian Roscrea
    Oisin Heffernan Cistercian Roscrea

Andy Roche Terenure
    Rob Lalor Terenure
    Patrick Thornton Terenure
    Tim Schmidt Terenure
    Harrison Brewer Terenure
    Billy Dardis Terenure
    Greg O Shea Crescent Comp
    The munnster players in the u18 schools and 19s squads are below
    18 Schools: Cormac Blake (Crescent), Paul Kiernan (PBC), Gearoid Lyons (Crescent), Liam McMahon (Crescent), Steve McMahon (Rockwell), Liam O’Connor (CBC), Luke O’Halloran (St. Munchins), Greg O’Shea (Crescent).

19s:Max Abbott (PBC), Rory Burke (CBC), Adrian Enright (Garryowen), Ryan Foley (CBC), Daniel Goggin (St. Munchins), David Johnstone (UL Bohs), John Madigan (Dolphin), Darragh Moloney (CBC), Cormac O’Donnell (Shannon), Jack O’Donoghue (UL Bohs), Charlie Slowey (UCC).

Advertisement