Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provincial Schools thread 2012-2013 *MOD WARNING POST 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Intouch rugby magazine does a good weekly update on how the ulster schools do in their games every week. See here.
    There isnt anywhere that does something similar for any of the other provinces?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

ormond lad wrote: »
    Irish youths did lose by a score or so to Italy and schools did win but Irish youths didnt get same level of attention as they had less games etc to prepare.
    Youths clubs sides are nowhere near the schools in many ways and never really will as the schools game totally dominates but in Munster the top clubs are as good as the schools. As regional sides get more and more resources put into them the regional youths sides will compete with and beat several of the schools when/if they play each other
    You dont see a lot of youths rugby if you think the standard of u16-19 rugby in Leinster is "pretty bloody awful"

I've played it, I've coached it. It isn't good. Struggle to get numbers and it's a struggle to find time to train. There's a few clubs, mainly outside of Dublin who do give it a decent fist, but mainly it's poor. I know of a few guys from North Kildare for instance, they had an excellent Youths team. They battered all just 3 or 4 seasons ago. They all pretty much went to the same, non Rugby, GAA school and it took them an age to convince the school to let them enter the school's cup. They ended up in the Vinny Murray which was the school's first ever year, a great achievement and it could have been better with more years and more chances at coaching.

In Munster, yeah the gap is certainly narrower. Still though, Munster haven't exactly been excelling at age grade in recent years so hardly a good indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

How would Greg O'Shea of Munster compare with Harrison Brewer and Billy Dardis. In regards ability
    and potential. Brewer and Dardis are always spoken of very highly. I know O'Shea is regarded to have
    serious speed.

themont85 wrote: »
    I've played it, I've coached it. It isn't good. Struggle to get numbers and it's a struggle to find time to train. There's a few clubs, mainly outside of Dublin who do give it a decent fist, but mainly it's poor. I know of a few guys from North Kildare for instance, they had an excellent Youths team. They battered all just 3 or 4 seasons ago. They all pretty much went to the same, non Rugby, GAA school and it took them an age to convince the school to let them enter the school's cup. They ended up in the Vinny Murray which was the school's first ever year, a great achievement and it could have been better with more years and more chances at coaching.

In Munster, yeah the gap is certainly narrower. Still though, Munster haven't exactly been excelling at age grade in recent years so hardly a good indication.
    Where have you coached if you dont mind me asking?
    Most Youths sides are not near schools sides but the top sides are as good as or very damn near.
    Munster havent been the greatest in recent years but we havent ever really had had huge numbers on irish u/age squads.
    mogwai81 wrote: »
    How would Greg O'Shea of Munster compare with Harrison Brewer and Billy Dardis. In regards ability and potential. Brewer and Dardis are always spoken of very highly. I know O'Shea is regarded to have serious speed.
    G O Shea is a top class winger and isnt just a speedster. Has great potential. Himself and Munsters other u18 schools winger Steve McMahon(orig from dungarvan and in youths set up) are the 2 id pick out from the munster u18 schools side to go further. Though id pick eoin o carroll from tralee who is on the youths side as better

On Wednesday Clongowes host Cistercian Roscrea and St Marys host Newbridge

How did the 'nure game against the argentinian school go today? Were any u18 interpros playing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

How did the 'nure game against the argentinian school go today? Where any u18 interpros playing?
    Terenure lost 10 8, no interpros played

Leinster A schools beat Munster A schools in the first game today in Musgrave Park
    Leinster won 22-13 in an excellant game
    Leinster were better upfront but Munster were stronger out in the backs

19s interpro playoffs are on in ashbourne rfc saturday
    12.30pm Exiles v Ulster
    2.30pm Munster v Leinster White
    4.30pm Leinster Blue v Connacht

Roscrea beat Clongowes 20-17
    Newbridge beat Marys 29-12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Where have you coached if you dont mind me asking?
    Most Youths sides are not near schools sides but the top sides are as good as or very damn near.
    Munster havent been the greatest in recent years but we havent ever really had had huge numbers on irish u/age squads.

G O Shea is a top class winger and isnt just a speedster. Has great potential. Himself and Munsters other u18 schools winger Steve McMahon(orig from dungarvan and in youths set up) are the 2 id pick out from the munster u18 schools side to go further. Though id pick eoin o carroll from tralee who is on the youths side as better

O'Shea is a super player but he got burned badly by the Leinster right winger in the interpro for Leinster's second try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Quint2010 wrote: »
    O'Shea is a super player but he got burned badly by the Leinster right winger in the interpro for Leinster's second try

By "burned" do you mean outpaced? I ask because O'Shea is extremely fast. 100m time of about 10.6/7 seconds as a 16 year old. He has great acceleration.

profitius wrote: »
    By "burned" do you mean outpaced? I ask because O'Shea is extremely fast. 100m time of about 10.6/7 seconds as a 16 year old. He has great acceleration.

Well he was beaten on the outside. In fairness to him the winger running at him was running at pace but he stood O'Shea up and got around him and had enough momentum to make it to the line.

Leinster lost 20 15 to connacht in the 19s pro final. A nail biting game! Leinster whites beat munster for 3rd place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

fox_1973 wrote: »
    Leinster lost 20 15 to connacht in the 19s pro final. A nail biting game! Leinster whites beat munster for 3rd place

Can't find the Leinster XV anywhere, very frustrating, do you know what the XV was?

On a side not, I know that Peter Robb was playing for the u19 side, as there's a picture of him scoring a try. This kid is absolutely frickin massive! He's a centre who plays for Old Belvedere and played for Blackrock College. He is genuinely a tank. I would not be at all surprised to see him involved with the u20s next year.

Hagz wrote: »
    Can't find the Leinster XV anywhere, very frustrating, do you know what the XV was?

The link is gone from the leinster site but they were -

1. Peter Dooley Landsdowne FC
    2. Dylan Donnellan CWC
    3. Shane Delahunt UCD RFC
    4. Ross Moloney St. Michaels
    5. Robert Somerville Terenure College
    6. Jack O Neill Castleknock
    7. Stephan Keelan CWC
    8. Sean Coughlan Blackrock
    9. Dermot Lavelle Gonzaga
    10. Conor Mckeon Gonzaga
    11. Daniel Jordon Monkstown
    12. Mark O Keefe St. Michaels
    13. Adam Byrne UCD RFC
    14. Jack Keating Pres Bray
    15. Cian Kelleher St. Michaels

On a side not, I know that Peter Robb was playing for the u19 side, as there's a picture of him scoring a try. This kid is absolutely frickin massive! He's a centre who plays for Old Belvedere and played for Blackrock College. He is genuinely a tank. I would not be at all surprised to see him involved with the u20s next year.

was a lovely try, came on as a sub 10 minutes into the second half

2. Dylan Donnellan CWC
    7. Stephan Keelan CWC
    10. Conor Mckeon Gonzaga
    13. Adam Byrne UCD RFC

Woah, that's basically the first string side, fair play Connacht. They must have been rallied by the performance of the seniors.

2. Dylan Donnellan CWC
    7. Stephan Keelan CWC
    10. Conor Mckeon Gonzaga
    13. Adam Byrne UCD RFC

Woah, that's basically the first string side, fair play Connacht. They must have been rallied by the performance of the seniors.
    Connacht had a good game, leinster were better on the breaks but gave away far too many stupid mistakes, the winning try for them from a fummbled ball from leinster, well done connacht, last nights show defo rubbed off

Yeah thats the leinster side that competed in group A.
    Connacht have been increasing at all age groups the past few years and are doing great work u/age
    Michaels beat Nure 20-10 on saturday. Any score from saturdays game between Pres Cork and Marys?
    Nure host Belvedere next saturday and Marys travel to Blackrock.

• Advertisement

Any results from the terenure belvedere, PBC Cork michaels, crescent comp rockwell, blackrock marys games today?

Any results from the terenure belvedere, PBC Cork michaels, crescent comp rockwell, blackrock marys games today?

Terenure beat Belvo 34 5

intouchrugby.com review of games played over the last week or so
    Of Leinster/Munster sides who played games up in Ulster, Blackrock lost 33-8 to Royal School Armagh and Crescent Comp Limerick beat Wallace High School and Royal School Armagh
    Blackrock hammered St Marys
    Michaels beat PBC Cork

Senior League round 2 is tomorrow. Always interesting to see who is looking strong out of the sides that compete in the league as they're often forgotten here to a degree
    Castleknock College top table of section A after round 1 where they beat High School 81-5. Newbridge beat Pres Bray 37-0 and Wesley beat Gerards 17-8.
    tomorrow High School play Pres Bray, Newbridge play Cistercian-Roscrea and
    Wesley College play Castleknock.

In section B in last weeks games CBC Monkstown beat Kings Hospital 15-8 and 'zaga beat Andrews 13-9. Tomorrow
    C.U.S host CBC Monkstown, Gonzaga host Kilkenny and Kings Hospital host St Andrews

Does anyone have any results from Division B, any teams with big results? I hear Newbridge and Roscrea are impressive.
    Roscrea and Newbridge are in Section A.
    results from 1st 2 rounds of Section A are below
    03/10/2012
    Castleknock 81 High School 5
    Pres Bray 0 Newbridge College 37
    Wesley College 17 St Gerards 8
    10/10/2012
    High School 16 Pres Bray 20
    Newbridge College 21 Cistercian-Roscrea 17
    Wesley College 17 Castleknock 19
    And Section B results are here
    03/10/2012
    C.B.C 15 Kings Hospital 8
    St Andrews 9 Gonzaga 13
    10/10/2012
    C.U.S 7 C.B.C 63
    Gonzaga 39 Kilkenny College 17
    Kings Hospital 10 St Andrews 6

Gerards played Blackrock House 1sts on wednesday.
    what exactly is the house team? Is it boarders or what exactly?
    Tomorrows senior games
    Terenure v Blackrock
    Methody Belfast v St Marys
    St. Munchin's v Crescent Comp
    Rockwell v Ard Scoil Ris
    and Tomorrows junior games
    P.B.C. v Blackrock College
    Rockwell v Ard Scoil Ris
    Terenure v St Marys

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rugbyman2015

Tomorrows senior games
    Terenure v Blackrock
    Rockwell v Ard Scoil Ris
    Rockwell v Ard Scoil Ris
    Terenure v St Marys

What time is Ternure/Rock senior match at? Definitely in Terenure I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rugbyman2015

Tomorrows senior games
    Terenure v Blackrock
    Rockwell v Ard Scoil Ris
    Rockwell v Ard Scoil Ris
    Terenure v St Marys

What time is Terenure/Rock senior match at? Definitely in Terenure I presume

See The Leinster Schools Rugby thread..

• Advertisement

12.30 kick off in Terenure

Advertisement