Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provincial Schools thread 2012-2013 *MOD WARNING POST 1*

Options
  • 02-05-2012 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭

MOD NOTE *MOD NOTE LEINSTER SCHOOLS RUGBY CAN ONLY BE TALKED ABOUT IN THIS THREAD http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056890737

IF THAT THRAD IS LOCKED READ THE MOD NOTE AT THE END. TALKING ABOUT THE LEINSTER SCHOOLS CUP HERE WILL RESULT IN A BAN*

Very early starting this thread and a change in title. Easier if all the provincial cups are discussed in the one thread.
    A 35 man Ulster u18 schools squad has been named for the summer training sessions. http://www.ulsterrugby.com/branch/news/10446.php

In Munster the u19 squad that contains youths and schools players has played a couple of games incl games against Rockwells Senior Cup winning team and Old Wesleys u21s and a provisional squad of 26, with 10 in reserve, has been picked but there is nothing up on the munster website yet.
    The u18 Munster Schools squad has also been picked and theyve played a couple of trial games including 2 games against the Munster Youths

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Munster Rugby U19 Squad
    Conor Glynn (Ardscoil Ris)
    Aiden Slattery (PBC)
    Rory Burke (CBC)
    Charlie Slowey (CBC)
    Ben Burns (Castletroy College)
    Liam Cronin (Castletroy College)
    John Madigan (Charleville RFC/Garryowen FC)
    Darragh Moloney (CBC)
    Patrick Kearns (Ardscoil Ris)
    Diarmuid Dee (Crescent College Comprehensive)
    Jack Dineen (Crescent College Comprehensive)
    Sonny Dwyer (Rockwell College)
    Tom Ryan (Glenstal Abbey)
    Oisin O’ Mara (Kilfeacle & District RFC)
    Ryan Foley (CBC)
    Aaron Atkinson (Garryowen FC)
    Shane Airey (St. Munchin’s College)
    David Johnston (Rockwell College)
    Ned Hodson (Midelton College)
    Dan Goggin (St. Munchin’s College)
    Greg Barry (Crescent College Comprehensive)
    Cormac O’ Donnell (St. Munchin’s College)
    Adrian Enright (Garryowen FC)
    JJ McDonnell (Castletroy College)
    Ronan McKenna (Ardscoil Ris)
    Munster Rugby U19 Reserve Panel
    Adam Walsh (Waterpark RFC)
    James Maxwell (Rockwell College)
    Padraig Keating (Clonmel RFC)
    Lee Nicholas (St. Munchin’s College)
    Niall O’ Neill (Waterpark RFC)
    Aidan Butler (Rockwell College)
    Killian O’ Keeffe (Crosshaven RFC)
    Cillian Ansboro (Youghal RFC)
    Mark Healy (Kanturk RFC)
    Tom O’ Hare (Waterpark RFC)
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/10472.php

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

ormond lad wrote: »
    Easier if all the provincial cups are discussed in the one thread.
    Easier, maybe, but IMO there should be separate threads; they are different competitions with no bearing on each other bar international selection and I'm sure that some people care only about their own provincial cup. Also, the Leinster thread in particular is very popular, and to quote Bert Lance "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Easier, maybe, but IMO there should be separate threads; they are different competitions with no bearing on each other bar international selection and I'm sure that some people care only about their own provincial cup. Also, the Leinster thread in particular is very popular, and to quote Bert Lance "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    The other provincial cups threads dont get seen and there is no discussion and that should improve with this thread(i know plenty wont really care but we may as well try it this year and if people dont like it there can be a change back next year). every year there is posts on friendly games in sept-jan posted in the leinster thread on games between munster and leinster schools. Dont see the problem with discussing them all in one thread
    Any ideas as to when the provincial squads, at 18s schools and 19s(youths+schools) will be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

The other provincial cups threads dont get seen and there is no discussion and that should improve with this thread(i know plenty wont really care but we may as well try it this year and if people dont like it there can be a change back next year). every year there is posts on friendly games in sept-jan posted in the leinster thread on games between munster and leinster schools. Dont see the problem with discussing them all in one thread
    Any ideas as to when the provincial squads, at 18s schools and 19s(youths+schools) will be announced?

The Leinster schools squads don't get announced until August

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Nice idea but by tbh this won't improve discussion of other competitions. They will just get lost in the discussion of the Leinster competition which gets many multiples of posts.

• Advertisement

themont85 wrote: »
    Nice idea but by tbh this won't improve discussion of other competitions. They will just get lost in the discussion of the Leinster competition which gets many multiples of posts.
    It may and it may not. At least try it out this year is all im asking for, we can go back to seperate threads for each provincial comp next year if it upsets people that much
    At least unlike previous years if i see that munchins in limerick will be playing blackrock in a friendly on a saturday and i can just post it in the one thread, everyone see's it and can discuss what they like unlike previous years where the same info has to be posted in 2 threads for it to be discussed
    To be really honest what is the real big deal of discussing all the comps in one thread?
    I follow the schools in both leinster/munster where i either know people attending or ive heard that their is a very good side. The top schools all play plenty of games before their 1 maybe 2 games in the cup against sides from other provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Whats the big deal about having them in the same thread? The people interested in their own province are likely to be also interested in the other provinces.

It may and it may not. At least try it out this year is all im asking for, we can go back to seperate threads for each provincial comp next year if it upsets people that much
    At least unlike previous years if i see that munchins in limerick will be playing blackrock in a friendly on a saturday and i can just post it in the one thread, everyone see's it and can discuss what they like unlike previous years where the same info has to be posted in 2 threads for it to be discussed
    To be really honest what is the real big deal of discussing all the comps in one thread?
    I follow the schools in both leinster/munster where i either know people attending or ive heard that their is a very good side. The top schools all play plenty of games before their 1 maybe 2 games in the cup against sides from other provinces.

To put it in perspective-the Leinster Schools' thread this year had over 1800 posts. The Munster schools one had 218. Any discussion would get buried. I appreciate they play friendlies with one another but if you are looking to discuss Munster schools rugby specifically and that comp; you will be hard pressed to find comments on one single thread and there would be little chance of a chain of discussion developing.

It's been this way for 5/6 years now here, personally I think it works fine.

profitius wrote: »
    Whats the big deal about having them in the same thread? The people interested in their own province are likely to be also interested in the other provinces.

Would you have an Aviva Premiership thread mixed in with a Rabo one?

These are distinct competitions and this won't do anything to increase the discussion of the other competitions.

And most don't have an interest in the other beyond a passing one. If they have an interest in both then they will read the different threads where the distinct competition discussion can develop, simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I say merge the threads

• Advertisement

To put it in perspective-the Leinster Schools' thread this year had over 1800 posts. The Munster schools one had 218. Any discussion would get buried. I appreciate they play friendlies with one another but if you are looking to discuss Munster schools rugby specifically and that comp; you will be hard pressed to find comments on one single thread and there would be little chance of a chain of discussion developing.

It's been this way for 5/6 years now here, personally I think it works fine.
    There is the interpros in september which can be discussed, and all the munster/ulster/connacht schools play the leinster schools so whats the big deal
    I know the leinster thread is huge every year and that the munster thread hasnt been anywhere near as big.
    There is a small chance at times of conversation discussing the munster cup being swamped but more people read this thread so theres also a bigger chance of there being more comments on the munster cups, both senior and junior
    I dont see why people are getting so wound up about this

There is the interpros in september which can be discussed, and all the munster/ulster/connacht schools play the leinster schools so whats the big deal
    I know the leinster thread is huge every year and that the munster thread hasnt been anywhere near as big.
    There is a small chance at times of conversation discussing the munster cup being swamped but more people read this thread so theres also a bigger chance of there being more comments on the munster cups, both senior and junior
    I dont see why people are getting so wound up about this

I sometimes post on The Free Kick. They have a generic schoolboy rugby thread-same thing every year; swamped by Leinster.

On Planet Rugby they have a Magners League thread. The discussion is dominated by the Irish -why? Because there is a lot more of them and any discussion (well at least when I used to look at it) of Welsh teams and the rest is buried.

The Leinster Competition at the very least demands its own thread during the actual competition. The number of posts for it shows this and you are doing the other competitions no favours by merging them.

I sometimes post on The Free Kick. They have a generic schoolboy rugby thread-same thing every year; swamped by Leinster.

On Planet Rugby they have a Magners League thread. The discussion is dominated by the Irish -why? Because there is a lot more of them and any discussion (well at least when I used to look at it) of Welsh teams and the rest is buried.

The Leinster Competition at the very least demands its own thread during the actual competition. The number of posts for it shows this and you are doing the other competitions no favours by merging them.
    The Leinster competition will dominate this thread but if keeping all the discussion in one thread increases the debate on the other provincial cups then whats wrong with that
    The provincial squads will be in some form or another be available soon enough or at the least some posters will know of kids playing for either their provinces 18s or 19s squad and these squads can be discussed.
    Why are people making such a big deal, as i said earlier try it out and if posters keep bitching and moaning i'l know that next year i'll keep the discussion in this thread to just leinster

On this site and in this forum why do we have general munster/leinster threads discussing all types of issues relating to munster/leinster etc. This thread is fine and all of ye complaining are making a mountain out of a molehill

I take your points OL. But last years Leinster Schools thread was extremely popular mainly because people who posted on it regularly, when they saw a new post they would immediately open the thread because they knew it was relevant to them and something that would be of interested. Thats why there are seperate threads for Leinster, Munster, Connacht and Ulster gossip, rumours, team talk. Personally I think it's better to keep the schools threads seperate and it would dilute the Leinster one to have other provinces on it too and people would lose interest.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    I take your points OL. But last years Leinster Schools thread was extremely popular mainly because people who posted on it regularly, when they saw a new post they would immediately open the thread because they knew it was relevant to them and something that would be of interested. Thats why there are seperate threads for Leinster, Munster, Connacht and Ulster gossip, rumours, team talk. Personally I think it's better to keep the schools threads seperate and it would dilute the Leinster one to have other provinces on it too and people would lose interest.
    The Leinster Schools thread is extremely popular and you can still post to your hearts content about how terenure, blackrock etc do this year. The schools will play all the top sides from the other provinces beforehand so why have situations where information in relation to those games is posted in the munster thread and just not seen.
    As i said earlier you are making a mountain out of a molehill, just get on and comment on whatever aspect of schools rugby you want. The leinster schools cups will be the main competitions discussed but if having discussion of the munster/connacht cups in this thread increases the discussion on these cups then thats good and discussion of the other provincial competitions in this thread certainly will not "dilute the leinster one" and people will not lose interest because they may have to read through a couple of posts about how rockwell/PBC are doing

The Leinster Schools thread is extremely popular and you can still post to your hearts content about how terenure, blackrock etc do this year. The schools will play all the top sides from the other provinces beforehand so why have situations where information in relation to those games is posted in the munster thread and just not seen.
    As i said earlier you are making a mountain out of a molehill, just get on and comment on whatever aspect of schools rugby you want. The leinster schools cups will be the main competitions discussed but if having discussion of the munster/connacht cups in this thread increases the discussion on these cups then thats good and discussion of the other provincial competitions in this thread certainly will not "dilute the leinster one" and people will not lose interest because they may have to read through a couple of posts about how rockwell/PBC are doing

No problem. I have made my point. I won't start a seperate Leinster one so.

Munster Schools Cup draws 2012/13 http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/10495.php
    Senior Cup
    Round 1
    (A) Qualifier v CBC
    Round 2
    (B) St. Munchins v PBC
    (C) Rockwell College v Crescent Comp
    (D) Castletroy College v 'A'
    (E) Ard Scoil Ris v Glenstal Abbey

Junior Cup
    Round 1
    (A) Qualifier v Crescent Comp
    Round 2:
    (B) P.B.C. v 'A'
    (C) Glenstal Abbey v Castletroy College
    (D) Rockwell College v St Munchins
    (E) CBC v Ard Scoil Ris

Barry Cup
    Round 1
    (A) Crescent Comp v Rockwell College
    Semi Finals
    (B) Winners A v St. Munchins
    (C) CBC v PBC

Kidney Cup
    Round 1
    (A) Castletroy College v CBC
    (B) PBC. v St. Munchins
    (C) Ard Scoil Ris v Rockwell College
    Semi Finals
    (D) Winners A v Crescent Comp
    (E) Winners B v Winners C

One of St. Michaels coaches, Greg McWilliams, has been reappointed Leinster u19s coach.
    does anyone know the fixtures for the Interpros, both 18s and 19s?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

"My school are definitely going to win it, despite having never come close, a mediocre pre-season and facing Blackrock/PBC/Methody/The Jes in the 1st round"

"School X may have lost 80-nil, but it's only because School Y have so much money"

"F*** the big 6/5/2?"

Given that all the schools threads are inevitably chock full of such statements every year I don't think amalgamating them for a season is going to make much difference. :pac:

So I say let's give it a try OL

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ulster U18 Schools' coaches Richard Hedley and John Andrews have named their summer training squad which has been selected to prepare for the Inter-Provincial matches in September...

Players were screened over a period of time and two games were played recently, prior to the squad being announced.
    The management would like to thank all schools for their support of the programme and the players for their involvement.

Craig Barkley (Ballymena Academy)
    James Beattie (Ballyclare HS)
    Rory Bell (RBAI)
    Rudolf Benade (Methodist College)
    Lewis Benson (Belfast HS)
    Rory Campbell (RBAI)
    Daniel Dass (BRA)
    Thomas Donnan (Down HS)
    Scott Finlay (Sullivan Upper)
    Josh Fullerton (Campbell College)
    Jordan Garforth (Belfast HS)
    Thomas Gaston (Ballymena Academy)
    Aaron Gilkinson (Wallace HS)
    Chris Griffiths (Sullivan Upper)
    Aaron Kennedy (Banbridge Academy)
    Calvin Kernohan (Ballymena Academy)
    Peter Kidd (Coleraine AI)
    Adam Kirk (Ballymena Academy)
    Michael Lagan (Methodist College)
    Zack McCall (Wallace HS)
    James McCallan (Wallace HS)
    John McClure (RBAI)
    Andrew McGrath (RBAI)
    Conor McIllmurray (Campbell College)
    Conor McKee (Methodist College)
    Jack Milligan (RS Dungannon)
    Max Montgomery (Bangor GS)
    Jack Owens (Campbell College)
    Andrew Shaw (Bangor GS)
    Conor Shields (Coleraine AI)
    Rory Squires (Limavady GS)
    Alexander Thompson (Banbridge Academy)
    Stewart Martin (BRA)
    James Gallagher (Methodist College)
    Daryl Morton (RS Armagh)

I can't say I know anything about any of them except for Rudolf Benade who played on the wing for Methody in the Schools Cup Final back in March as a Fifth Year and looked useful given his age.

• Advertisement

Anyone know the provincial fixtures?
    i know schools A interpro fixtures have been set with munster playing 3 games all on wednesdays in september, connacht at home and leinster in home and away games

Leinster 19s start up training july 2nd.
    All the fixtures and venues for interpro's have been set and i think Munster v Leinster has been set for thomond

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Leinster 19s start up training july 2nd.
    All the fixtures and venues for interpro's have been set and i think Munster v Leinster has been set for thomond

this may sound like a stupid question , but are all the Irish U 18s this year available to play again this year as Under 19's ?

or would very few be 5th years - totally confused , in my day there was only one leinster and Ireland schools teams :confused:

thebaz wrote: »
    this may sound like a stupid question , but are all the Irish U 18s this year available to play again this year as Under 19's ?

or would very few be 5th years - totally confused , in my day there was only one leinster and Ireland schools teams :confused:
    Nearly all of the kids who played for the irish u18 schools and youths sides will be playing u19s.
    Some are underage for the 18s side again(greg o shea the very quick winger is one who is still u/age for 18s) but most will be on the 19s interpro sides

thebaz wrote: »

The provincial schools U18 teams are purely for players still in school. This can be made up of fifth and sixth years (and even fourth years) providing of course they are under a certain age. The U19 team can be made up of both school attending players who are too old to play for the U18 team and also players who have left school. Dan Leavy for example played U18 schools in fifth and sixth year and The Byrne brothers played U19's this year even though they were still in school.

Senior League fixtures are up on leinster rugby
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/results/latest_results.php
    Senior League
    Section A
    Newbridge College
    Castleknock
    Pres Bray
    Cistercian-Roscrea
    St Gerards
    High School
    Wesley College

Section B
    Gonzga
    C.B.C
    Kings Hospital
    Kilkenny College
    C.U.S
    St Andrews

bilston wrote: »
    Ulster U18 Schools' coaches Richard Hedley and John Andrews have named their summer training squad which has been selected to prepare for the Inter-Provincial matches in September...
    Some photos of the Ulster squad training are available here

O Brien Cup, King Cup, Kidney Cup, Barry Cup and Limerick City Senior and Junior Cup draws been made
    http://www.munsterschoolsrugby.com/competitions/

Harrison Brewer named captain of Leinster U18 Schools this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Harrison Brewer named captain of Leinster U18 Schools this season.

He's still in school? Wow, will he play for the U-20s too?

Advertisement