Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

dgt wrote: »
    Get a Bravo 1.2 and have access to a seriously big parts bin :D

Pick up one for about 200 and we can do it up in no time, on the very cheap ;)
    And what will we do with the Polo? I wanted to crash test it with the 106 in December. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

barura wrote: »
    And what will we do with the Polo? I wanted to crash test it with the 106 in December. :(

Crash test it!? CRASH TEST IT!???? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I'm sure that could be still arranged! :D we could conjour up some sort of linkage and wahey, garden battering rams once more :p

I may clear up the garden a bit and weld a set of bullbars onto the 106 :pac::pac::pac:

dgt wrote: »
    I'm sure that could be still arranged! :D we could conjour up some sort of linkage and wahey, garden battering rams once more :p

I may clear up the garden a bit and weld a set of bullbars onto the 106 :pac::pac::pac:
    Gotta get it up to Navan first... You up for spining me back home afterwards? :P

@BubbleWrap I would hardly crash the 106 into the Polo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Shocking day out not helped by idiots on the road. A day in the office for me! :D

• Advertisement

Gotta get it up to Navan first... You up for spining me back home afterwards? :P

@BubbleWrap I would hardly crash the 106 into the Polo. :)

If you can't drive it we can pick it up with the van :)

But if you do get it to mine that won't be a problem :)

This evening I takes? I finish at 4 :p

I can get it to Navan, I think. Possibly your house if I go around Navan as well...

I can get it to Navan, I think. Possibly your house if I go around Navan as well...

Sure the mighty D-Turbo can pull it the rest of the way if it can't :pac:

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Thats a linkage problem dude, cheap fix
    Actually, after going out there in the pissing rain and putting the linkage back in place, I think I'll hang onto it a bit longer! My hand looks like a dirty protest now though....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Yep.... I really need new tyres. The car's doing that thing where, when you go around corners in the rain it starts getting rumbly through the steering wheel and feels like it's pushing to the side

I also need money first.

Or possibly to slow down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Dartz wrote: »
    Yep.... I really need new tyres. The car's doing that thing where, when you go around corners in the rain it starts getting rumbly through the steering wheel and feels like it's pushing to the side

I also need money first.

Or possibly to slow down.

Are the tyres worn? Or just shite? Probably best to slow down a tad:pac:

I suddenly have big plans for jobs, and maintenance for my car...probably should've done them over the summer...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

This weekend I shall be mostly reseating valves. I usually find it therapeutic but I'm a bit anxious over this head build, this is the one that's for the race car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Gary ITR wrote: »
    This weekend I shall be mostly reseating valves. I usually find it therapeutic

Somebody else said that to me may have been Nissan doc or one of the guys at the race school. Cant remember now
    It was probably me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Are the tyres worn? Or just shite? Probably best to slow down a tad:pac:

I suddenly have big plans for jobs, and maintenance for my car...probably should've done them over the summer...:o

5 year old Michelins.

Still 'legal' depth mind, I specifically checked, but definitely worn. You really feel it in the rain.

Winter's coming so it's a good time to do it anyway. I just need to find a decent cheap set in Blanchardstown.

Had to break out this stuff again
    Odour_Eliminator_(Large).jpg

As when I got into the car this morning there was an unholy smell for some unknown reason to me :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Dartz wrote: »
    5 year old Michelins.

Still 'legal' depth mind, I specifically checked, but definitely worn. You really feel it in the rain.

Winter's coming so it's a good time to do it anyway. I just need to find a decent cheap set in Blanchardstown.

That would explain it, by the time most Michelins get to that age they have turned very hard and started to perish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Got cut up by twats in a NI reg Golf estate today while driving along Grand Canal between Leeson Street and Northumberland Road not once but twice. Not only driving poorly (inability to manage lane control or to use signals but perfect ability to cut in where too little room or to run through red lights but advertising that they are surveying the streets for Navteq On Boards GPS systems. No doubt they'll manage to do a few wrong ways up one way streets and make it a quality product.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

I passed out a felter convoy the other day:)

2, no smoke no poke boras (silver of course, I hate silver cars, especially silver boras)
    3 golf gt tdi's (one had smokeyperformance.com or some such ****e on the back window)
    1 RS4 tdi (it was bloody silver too) normally they have the two exhausts, one shiney and the other is manky, well this boyo had the one shiney unused one.....and the other side was the normal double turned down daysul job :p

Is passing out 6 felters at the same time a record:D

I did exceed the limit by quite a bit to get past all 6 of them;)
    (you get prizes for this right, not points:P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

What yer opinions on this? Do you think it will come out?

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=26498

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Can't stop listening to this...

What yer opinions on this? Do you think it will come out?

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=26498

This is why the powerplant they Opted for in the new ST was a bad choice as it has very little tuning potential, 2 of these 1 litre ecoboosts as a 2 litre inline six would be insane and will be more than likely what will be in the next RS be it a Focus or Fiesta, serious power with decent economy, 450bhp+ with ease and no big turbo conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I'm trying to chase down a problem with boost for a few days now. Slowly running out of ideas.

In the Transporter ('99 2.5 TDI, ACV engine, 102 bhp, Syncro) the turbo only starts putting proper boost at 2800 RPM or above and it's lacking power in the top end. Below that, it doesn't give more than 0.5 bar boost. Also, it tops out at 0.8 bar boost. Top speed is around 120-130 km/h, which it works hard for to archieve.

Now, what it should be, is about 0.9-1.0 bar boost from 1800 rpm and above and a top speed of around 140 km/h.

I've replaced the wastegate-actuator today, as that actually was nearly ceased and then also replaced the vacuum solenoid unit, hoping that this was part of the problem. It changed zero however. Both units were replaced with known good parts.

I had some MAF issues earlier this week, which were down to a gammy MAF connector. This is replaced. MAF issues would have caused limp mode with max 0.5 bar boost anywhere.

I've also checked all vacuum pipes for leaks and replaced the ones that looked dodgy.

I guess I'm down to trying to either disconnect the exhaust pipe tomorrow and see, if that makes a difference. Maybe the exhaust is blocked up preventing the turbo from spooling up properly.

Either that, or maybe my turbo isn't running right.

Any ideas ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Did you check the vacuum hoses connected to the wastegate actuator?

It's between the flux capacitor and the pulse generator :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This is why the powerplant they Opted for in the new ST was a bad choice as it has very little tuning potential, 2 of these 1 litre ecoboosts as a 2 litre inline six would be insane and will be more than likely what will be in the next RS be it a Focus or Fiesta, serious power with decent economy, 450bhp+ with ease and no big turbo conversions.

:eek:

I better start saving now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Did you check the vacuum hoses connected to the wastegate actuator?

If you check above, I checked ALL vacuum hoses and replaced where necessary. Oh and I forgot to mention, that EGR isn't the problem, as there already is no EGR anymore.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The standard 1.0litre makes 123bhp. The "race" version is 205bhp, which is as good as its going to get, but also likely more than a drive to the shops every day road going version will ever get. Doubling up on an engine doesnt deliver 100% increase in power, maybe 80% (plus double supporting electronics, it gets expensive fast) so IMO the best a factory built road going version would achieve is 340bhp. Which is pretty much what the proposed and far more normal engine (2.3 I4) is going to get:
    http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/new-ford-focus-rs-information-2012-02-13
    OSI wrote: »
    The 1 litre Ecoboost is turbocharged.
    He might have meant no big turbo added as opposed no turbos at all... but the linked EcoBoost Formula Ford has a big turbo conversion so Im not sure??
    Marlow wrote: »
    If you check above, I checked ALL vacuum hoses and replaced where necessary. Oh and I forgot to mention, that EGR isn't the problem, as there already is no EGR anymore.
    /M
    I got nothing other than turbo problem you followed exactly the course I would have done too.. it should be fixed!

Lunchtime, hopped into the car to find the screen misted badly and most of the interior damp. Windows crystal clear :confused: Anyone know of any common leaking areas on a 406?

And Tallon, I saw that Lexus (or Tezza, it's debadged) I mentioned before on the way home, no spoiler on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Can anyone tell me the name of a recent song with the video being of super kids escaping from an asylum? Wrecking my head at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement