Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

phatkev wrote: »
    Pretty sure Winters has been playing with his shoulder hanging off since the pre season. Probably the reason he's been even sh1tter than normal!

So, boodles of money spent on Trumaine Johnson & C. J. Moseley, both busts. Lots on Le'Veon Bell, poor return. No significant O-line upgrades... Not sure how the GM survives this one. I think if the team wins 5-6 games and Darnold stops looking dreadful, Gase lasts till next year. Not so sure about the GM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Igotadose wrote: »
    So, boodles of money spent on Trumaine Johnson & C. J. Moseley, both busts. Lots on Le'Veon Bell, poor return. No significant O-line upgrades... Not sure how the GM survives this one. I think if the team wins 5-6 games and Darnold stops looking dreadful, Gase lasts till next year. Not so sure about the GM.

The GM didnt survive:confused:

The GM didnt survive:confused:

Oh yeah. Forgot that bit :)

Someone has to take a hit for this year though. Still don't think it'll be Gase.

Oh yeah. Forgot that bit :)

Someone has to take a hit for this year though. Still don't think it'll be Gase.

I dont think there will be any fall guy this year, the Johnsons will come out and say something along the lines of Gase done a great job considering the injuries etc. They'll start next year and still be sh1t, the players will start revolt against Gase and he'll be fired by the end of the year and with that another 2 years of Darnolds contract wasted away:mad:

We've seen this cartoon before!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Herndon onto the IR for the rest of the season, fractured rib. Guard Brian Winters gone, too.

When a team is bad, everyone can't wait to get on the injured list. Why play hurt when there's no playoff payoff possibility?

Yeah exactly, in fairness to winters it sounds like he'd been playing hurt for a while.

2 more pieces for Sam to play without, it's really not possible to assess him this year properly, but his good games are good enough to make me think he's got a shot at being the real deal.

• Advertisement

No way you can call CJ Mosely a bust either.

Tru counts for double mind he's that bad and $$$.

I dont think there will be any fall guy this year, the Johnsons will come out and say something along the lines of Gase done a great job considering the injuries etc. They'll start next year and still be sh1t, the players will start revolt against Gase and he'll be fired by the end of the year and with that another 2 years of Darnolds contract wasted away:mad:

We've seen this cartoon before!

All the more reason why douglas must get the O Line sorted this season imo. 2 more years of Sam burnt might mean the he gets moved on from at some point, if that's the case you at least need a line for the next roll of the dice at QB if it happens.

Jets had a rep at Kaepernick's workout, even after it got moved. Imagine if they signed him - Woody Johnson suddenly would stop serving as ambassador to the Court of St. James almost immediately. Still, he'd be an upgrade over whoever the ham-and-egger it is that's the backup QB (Falk?)

2 in a row. Worsening the draft position as the season goes on. Next 3 games look like gimmes. Following after that, be lucky to get one. So... 7-9?, no playoffs, upper half of the draft.

At least Darnold bar the 1 INT is playing well. Another O line injury, too

Things I learned from todays game:
    -Washington are really bad
    -Darnold still struggles to just throw the ball away when under pressure
    -Jamal Adams is the main Jets edge rusher!

• Advertisement

2 in a row. Worsening the draft position as the season goes on. Next 3 games look like gimmes. Following after that, be lucky to get one. So... 7-9?, no playoffs, upper half of the draft.

I dont think they'll beat the Raiders and they've already lost to Miami!
    At least Darnold bar the 1 INT is playing well. Another O line injury, too

The commentators mentioned that when Edoga was replaced it was the 8th different version of the oline this season, hard to play behind that

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

2 in a row has been a long time coming but they were two terrible teams. Sam looked ok today but still shaky under pressure. Hard to judge the defense against an awful Redskins offense. I can see 2 more wins against the Bengals and Dolphins and they might sneak one more.

Things I learned from todays game:
    -Washington are really bad
    -Darnold still struggles to just throw the ball away when under pressure
    -Jamal Adams is the main Jets edge rusher!

Agree with all of the above, that Darnold interception was really poor, I hope it's just him being a bit young and trying to be a hero, and he defintiely makes some hero passes in those positions, but he's thrown some poor ones. Hopefully Edoga is ok.

Anyone else see Bell getting moved on at the end of the season? With the O Line I'm not sure we're getting the benefit from him, he's probably worth more to someone looking to shoot for the championship than us.

hots wrote: »

Anyone else see Bell getting moved on at the end of the season? With the O Line I'm not sure we're getting the benefit from him, he's probably worth more to someone looking to shoot for the championship than us.

Absolutely! Gase has no clue how to fit him into this offense, he's completely wasted. I think yesterday was one of the first times I've seen him line up in the slot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

It was an entertaining game, and a win against a really bad team. After being a Jets fan for 52 years, I guess that's about the most I can hope for.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Day started at 10am in our friendly neighborhood bar downtown. Got there on time to hear NY firefighters tell some gruesome job stories. No wonder they were doing bushmills! Anyway for $30 there was a return bus to the stadium. Getting there in generous time for my first ever tailgate was an experience as there was unlimited food brought and the beer was BYOB. Great way to connect with fellow Jets fans.

img-1234.jpg

img-1237.jpg

Arrived with no ticket as figured I would hopefully get one online for single digits nearer kickoff. Nearly worked as I ended up paying $14 as the cheapest ticket was $4 but you had to buy two! Add in taxes etc.......

Didn't even look where my seat was and just strolled down to the front:

img-1248.jpg

Second half went wandering again and ended behind the goal:

img-1254.jpg

img-1257.jpg

img-1260.jpg

Anyway an easy win for the Jets and the result flattered the Redskins. Sam was solid if not spectacular although the level of opponent has to be taken into account.

Good to see Adams who has to be one of the best safeties out there.

I was disappointed with the kicking with 4 points being squandered. Ideal conditions too which makes it more frustrating.

One has to have sympathy with the natives. Terrible stadium in middle of nowhere and an owner who is universally loathed but won't let go.

Listed attendance was 56,426 which is fake news!

Looking good so far vs. Raiders. Unfortunately another O-line (Edoga) hurt.

Offense doing quite well, but it's a long game.

And, it's a wrap. Feed went out as usual but I didn't see anything about major injuries. Finally beat a non-awful team. Best part is, going to NY and will be watching Jets/Bungles at a friends house, long time Raiders fan. How sweet that'll be...

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Day started at 10am ...

That looks class, $14 for a Jets win and the tailgating experience along with it, can't beat that!

We looked pretty solid yesterday, even Gase's playcalling at times, good to see him being sensible and pulling Sam and Bell early enough :o Raiders were pure poison though, the drops in the first half were criminal. 2 poor ref decisions (1 each), just bizarre calls.

Looks like we'll see another new O line combo next week, Beachum was lucky to get back on the field but Edoga's looks more serious. We've had some brutal luck this year with injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Glad to see them get a W, but, oh my gawd! Now sportscasters have started entertaining a possible NY Jets Wild Card run in the last third of the season. Another kiss of death?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    Glad to see them get a W, but, oh my gawd! Now sportscasters have started entertaining a possible NY Jets Wild Card run in the last third of the season. Another kiss of death?

It would be absolutely ridiculous, even if we win our next 2 'winnable games' and somehow beat the steelers and bills for our last two fixtures, I still see us only tieing with the Bills for 8-8 and playing spoilers for them (Steelers and Titans getting wildcards in my predictions).

Realistically we end up on 6 or 7 wins I reckon. Before the season started I had us optimistically hitting 9... Bearing in mind Darnold's mono, the bills game we chucked away and the dolphins **** show, I reckon we've performed pretty much as expected (so long as we continue as we are). Especially when you consider shocking injury lists (most value on the IR) and really Quinnen being only okay for a high first rounder... and Gase being Gase.

Playing hypotheticals... in my prediction we end up picking 10th in the draft next year... which means we miss the top 2 O line prospects, top 2 WRs and trade value as teams would most likely have to go higher to grab a QB... In that situation (super hypothetical) it would be really interesting to see does Douglas "reach" for on of the other alabama linemen, or does he go BPA and take someone like Isaiah Simmons or Epeneza/Ruggs/Fulton. Simmons write-up here is great, himself and Adams in the same backfield would be ridiculous:
    https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/meet-isaiah-simmons--the-freakiest-athlete-in-college-football
    http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/big_board

Good win yesterday with excellent performances from Sam and the Defense. A few early drops by the Raiders helped but the Jets had Carr completely out of rhythm the whole day. Its possible the Jets win the next 2 and are at 6-7 going into the last three games. After that who knows but at the moment I would predict 7-9. I am less worried about the pick number than need and talent evaluation. Hopefully Joe Douglas will have a complete plan for the off season including free agency and the draft and prioritising positions of need.

I dont think they'll beat the Raiders and they've already lost to /!
    Hah. Bring on the Bungles and the fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Super win yesterday. Will watch the game over again but special mention to the two CB's stepping up. Has been a much talked about issue all season and these two guys have stepped in and not looked out of place. There's a throw down the middle in double coverage for Robbie from Darnold that has pick all over it as accurate a throw you will see under pressure. Q. Williams I know it's <relatively> early days but missing again yesterday.

franglan wrote: »
    Super win yesterday. Will watch the game over again but special mention to the two CB's stepping up. Has been a much talked about issue all season and these two guys have stepped in and not looked out of place. There's a throw down the middle in double coverage for Robbie from Darnold that has pick all over it as accurate a throw you will see under pressure. Q. Williams I know it's <relatively> early days but missing again yesterday.

Yeah even if one of Sunday's CBs ends up being a servicable starter that's golddust. Q was very quiet, haven't seen the snap counts but he seemed to be off the field a lot of the time, I'd love to hear why it is, is it that he's not fit enough, not making enough impact so they're effectively benching him or just don't rate him as highly as the other guys...

Yeah even if one of Sunday's CBs ends up being a servicable starter that's golddust. Q was very quiet, haven't seen the snap counts but he seemed to be off the field a lot of the time, I'd love to hear why it is, is it that he's not fit enough, not making enough impact so they're effectively benching him or just don't rate him as highly as the other guys...

Matt Stuypulkovski on nj.com has an interesting article about Q and how the Jets are using him. Basically he is being used to eat blocks and double teams rather than rushing the passer. However he should still be making some impact on the stat sheet.

Matt Stuypulkovski on nj.com has an interesting article about Q and how the Jets are using him. Basically he is being used to eat blocks and double teams rather than rushing the passer. However he should still be making some impact on the stat sheet.

Awful familiar to the Leo Williams reviews :/

• Advertisement

Awful familiar to the Leo Williams reviews :/

A bit that way alright would like to see what he could do as more of an interior DL rather than a Defensive End. I think we should reserve judgement until year 2 and hopefully we will see big strides then.

Advertisement