Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Gases promise of meaningful football in December has meant it's been very busy around here lately!!! Anyway I just wanted to recommend listening to the latest episode of Rich Ciminis Flight Deck podcast. There is an interview with Rex Ryan and it's very interesting to hear his views on Gase.

Gase has lost the respect of the locker room according to Connor Roger's on Bleacher Report. Source is given as an unnamed Jets player. I fear that Gase's reputation is so bad around the league that it will be very hard to get high level free agents to sign for the Jets especially on offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Gase has lost the respect of the locker room according to Connor Roger's on Bleacher Report. Source is given as an unnamed Jets player. I fear that Gase's reputation is so bad around the league that it will be very hard to get high level free agents to sign for the Jets especially on offense.

Eh. Bleacher report stirring sh1te. Gase is coach through next season. If the money's there, the players will come. Hopefully the team shows some signs of life the next two games with nothing to play for, like so...so many seasons.

Winning fixes everything.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Eh. Bleacher report stirring sh1te. Gase is coach through next season. If the money's there, the players will come. Hopefully the team shows some signs of life the next two games with nothing to play for, like so...so many seasons.

Winning fixes everything.

Dont know if stirring is the case. Listening to a few different podcasts at the moment not just Jets ones and it's very apparent how poor Gases reputation is. I have that sinking feeling that next year will be another lost year and we will start again in 2021 with a new coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Lads we'll be having a similar convo in a year and Sam will be a year further on in his rookie contract. Gase will be HC week 1 next year I'm resigned to that.

• Advertisement

franglan wrote: »
    Lads we'll be having a similar convo in a year and Sam will be a year further on in his rookie contract. Gase will be HC week 1 next year I'm resigned to that.

That's the problem Gase is killing my early season optimism for next year before this year is over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

My quest to get into a game for single digits once again failed against the Dolphins! Arriving during the second quarter after paying $11.23 for a $7 verified resale ticket to find the Jets ahead was super! The "scalpers" outside were bemused at how hard I was laughing when they offered me a ticket for $50!

Anyway strolled into a section almost right behind the Dolphins bench and nobody seemed to care to check tickets. Met a bunch of real funny Jets fans who sounded like they had been disappointed for decades!

IMG-1685.jpg

Got to see Sam throw for a TD to make it 16-6 but then 4 consecutive field goals had the Dolphins ahead then Ficken made it 19-18 with 4 minutes left. With Fitzmagic working hard the atmosphere was getting pretty negative and when another field goal sailed over with a minute or so left all the bile came out.

Jets fans appreciate Fitzpatrick and I didn't hear abuse directed his way.

But the best was to come when Ficken nailed another kick to win it and everyone went home happy. So a fun day out and very happy to be there to see the Jets win a fifth game which is better than last year!

IMG-1693.jpg

An example of the comments flowing:

"I'll **** my pants if the Jets win"

Response:

"At least you'll be warm"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Give neutral zone infraction a new contract! This is horrendous to watch. How are we still winning this in the forth quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Ah the jetsiest of jets wins, that was awful quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

2012, Mark Sanchez, The Butt Fumble... 2019, Sam Darnold, The Nut Fumble.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

hots wrote: »
    Ah the jetsiest of jets wins, that was awful quality.

And the exact type of results the Johnsons will use to keep Gase around!

phatkev wrote: »
    And the exact type of results the Johnsons will use to keep Gase around!

Time to put your money on the Jets going 8-8 next year and keeping Gase again because of the signs of improvement.

Happy Christmas to all the long suffering Jets fans. Remember theres always next year!!

Happy Christmas to all the long suffering Jets fans. Remember theres always next year!!
    I've heard that for the last 50 years.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Jamal Adams named team MVP for the second year in a row. Really hope they dont trade him this off season.

Jamal Adams named team MVP for the second year in a row. Really hope they dont trade him this off season.

Agreed, he's one of the very few untouchables imo.

11th pick in the draft.

11th pick in the draft.

Yup, either means one of the WRs or lower O Lineman I'd say.

As a ****ty season goes, riddled with injuries and a tough SOS, we've ended up with an ok W/L ratio all things considered. A couple of close, poor losses, a couple of soft wins too. A strong second half to the season, when we were at our weakest, I'm not sure where to credit that other than Gregg Williams.

The wins/losses were very similar to what was predicted at the start of the season, it would have been really interesting to see this team with even half of the injuries. I would have expected a season very similar to the Bills tbh, they got lucky with injuries and we didn't. They have dominated with a defense (we would have been close although a secondary that wouldn't be a high enough level), and got by with an offense without a huge amount of skill (I think our skill positions are much better but poor O Line, even fully fit).

A very flat end to a disappointing season, a really disappointing decade overall!

Next year's opponents:

Home: Patriots, Bills, Dolphins, 49ers, Cardinals, Raiders, Broncos and Browns.
    Road: Patriots, Bills, Dolphins, Rams, Seahawks, Chiefs, Chargers and Colts.

Chiefs, Seahawks, 49ers, Bills, Patriots all playoff teams, so that's 6 games against 2019 playoff qualifiers. Rams just missed playoffs. Going to be tough sledding next year. Playing in Seattle is tough (I saw the Jets play in Seattle once!)

• Advertisement

Next year's opponents:

Chiefs, Seahawks, 49ers, Bills, Patriots all playoff teams, so that's 6 games against 2019 playoff qualifiers. Rams just missed playoffs. Going to be tough sledding next year. Playing in Seattle is tough (I saw the Jets play in Seattle once!)

I can see the excuses coming in for Gase already, tough schedule nothing more he could do etc etc after another meaningless December

I kinda don’t think Jamal Adams, Le’Veon Bell and Robby Anderson will be back for the 2020 season.

notobtuse wrote: »
    I kinda don’t think Jamal Adams, Le’Veon Bell and Robby Anderson will be back for the 2020 season.

I think Adams is kept, Robby is let go and no one will want Bell. I'd let Bell go without too much heartbreak, for all of our ****ty O Line and Gase being the devil, he's overpaid and not outshining other RBs in the same situation. He's an elite talent and good in the lockerroom but not untouchable.

Next year's opponents:

Tough enough road schedule for sure, makes our divisional games massive I think, you'd need to come out of it 4-2 and then another 4 home wins and maybe 1 or 2 of the remaining away ones to have a playoff shout :o

hots wrote: »
    I think Adams is kept, Robby is let go and no one will want Bell. I'd let Bell go without too much heartbreak, for all of our ****ty O Line and Gase being the devil, he's overpaid and not outshining other RBs in the same situation. He's an elite talent and good in the lockerroom but not untouchable.
    I hope Adams stays. He's under contract through the 2020 season but I think Adams will be demanding to have his contract redone in the offseason with an extension and will be looking to become the highest paid safety in the NFL. But the Jets have so many other needs... A good front line for Darnold, a couple of cornerbacks, an effective pass rusher, and a quality wide receiver. They’ll probably address some of the issues in the Draft, but are they willing to pay crazy money for Adams, and how many other needs could be filled with a trade?

notobtuse wrote: »
    I hope Adams stays. He's under contract through the 2020 season but I think Adams will be demanding to have his contract redone in the offseason with an extension and will be looking to become the highest paid safety in the NFL. But the Jets have so many other needs... A good front line for Darnold, a couple of cornerbacks, an effective pass rusher, and a quality wide receiver. They’ll probably address some of the issues in the Draft, but are they willing to pay crazy money for Adams, and how many other needs could be filled with a trade?

I hope he stays, we've had very few all-pros on this roster and Adams has done some amazing stuff. Likewise, I think Bell should stay - is there an upgrade out there?

Thing is, every team is like this - need an O line, some skill position players, ...

Maybe Moseley comes around and helps with the pass rush or Q Williams picks it up, disappointing #3. Time will tell, as always

I hope he stays, we've had very few all-pros on this roster and Adams has done some amazing stuff. Likewise, I think Bell should stay - is there an upgrade out there?

Thing is, every team is like this - need an O line, some skill position players, ...

Maybe Moseley comes around and helps with the pass rush or Q Williams picks it up, disappointing #3. Time will tell, as always
    Bell finished with 789 rushing yards on 245 carries, averaging 3.2 yards per carry. Not stellar numbers.

Hope everyone else is following Jets Twitter the last few days and if your not check out #burnergate. Great entertainment altogether and it could only happen to the Jets.

Hope everyone else is following Jets Twitter the last few days and if your not check out #burnergate. Great entertainment altogether and it could only happen to the Jets.

Jets offseason never disappoints!!

• Advertisement

Interesting piece in the Post about 2018-2019 NYJ injuries:
    ---
    They used a franchise-record 73 players. Only the Dolphins and Redskins used more this season.
    They had 20 players wind up on injured reserve.
    They used 11 starting offensive linemen. They had nine starting combinations on the line. They had three starters each at left guard and right guard.
    They used four quarterbacks and three starting quarterbacks. It was the first time since 2005 they had four quarterbacks take a snap.

our players viewed as key starters in the preseason ended up playing two games or less — ILB C.J. Mosley (2 games), TE Chris Herndon (1 game), WR Quincy Enunwa (1 game) and ILB Avery Williamson (0 games).

The Jets used six starting cornerbacks on the outside (not counting nickel corner Brian Poole). They used five starting inside linebackers.
    ---

Article said they're 'investigating.' This does seem crazy, though. Bad turf? I think the Giants had a lot of injuries as well. Or is it just bad luck?

https://nypost.com/2020/01/01/jets-investigating-their-unprecedented-injury-crisis/

Advertisement