Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

A bit that way alright would like to see what he could do as more of an interior DL rather than a Defensive End. I think we should reserve judgement until year 2 and hopefully we will see big strides then.

Sure why shouldn't an overall #3 not make an impact. Same old Jets. We can wait what with our long history as a winning franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Igotadose wrote: »
    Sure why shouldn't an overall #3 not make an impact. Same old Jets. We can wait what with our long history as a winning franchise

The same debate is happening on Jets Twitter at the moment. I follow as many of the Jets beat writers and fan sites as I can manage and I listen to a few podcasts and Quinnen is the hot topic at the moment. The experts all seem to say he is doing a good job at what Gregg Williams is asking him to do. The question is should he be doing more and could he be used differently? The production is definitely not what you would want from a number 3 pick but if he doing all he is asked by the coaching staff I think he deserves some patience. Hopefully he gets let off the leash at some stage before the end of the season so we can see what he can do. I'm sure we have enough depth for someone else to fill his current role.

Back to earth with a bang. That was bad. No bright spots to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Back to earth with a bang. That was bad. No bright spots to talk about.

Sam can hold onto the ball when getting sacked mercilessly for an entire game... and I literally cannot think of anything else.

That O Line is just impossible to be good behind, there were clearly a couple of guys playing banged up too but it's a long way away from being serviceable. I thought our pass rush was more disappointing that usual, Adams not being a god for once meant we just didn't get near the QB whatsoever. I thought our CBs were really poor too, particularly in the first half (although they are CBs 6/7/8 at this stage)

hots wrote: »
    Sam can hold onto the ball when getting sacked mercilessly for an entire game... and I literally cannot think of anything else.

That O Line is just impossible to be good behind, there were clearly a couple of guys playing banged up too but it's a long way away from being serviceable. I thought our pass rush was more disappointing that usual, Adams not being a god for once meant we just didn't get near the QB whatsoever. I thought our CBs were really poor too, particularly in the first half (although they are CBs 6/7/8 at this stage)

O line was at least 1 ,penalty per drive. Ciukd barely slow ,Bengals pass rush, Beachum was dreadful. Defense could not get off the field. Score would've been much worse, several wide open receivers dropped passes for Cincinnati. Absolute agony to watch Darnold limping late in the fourth. Seems like he is ok.

Just sad to be seeing this after the last few weeks. Got to watch it at a friend's in NJ which made it somewhat fun at least.

• Advertisement

O line was at least 1 ,penalty per drive. Ciukd barely slow ,Bengals pass rush, Beachum was dreadful. Defense could not get off the field. Score would've been much worse, several wide open receivers dropped passes for Cincinnati. Absolute agony to watch Darnold limping late in the fourth. Seems like he is ok.

Just sad to be seeing this after the last few weeks. Got to watch it at a friend's in NJ which made it somewhat fun at least.

He had two scares, both his lineman getting driven back into him and stepping on his ankle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Adams left in a walking booth, said he got hurt in the 1st quarter but stayed in the game. I'm at the stage now where I'd be happy to but him, Mosley, Darnold and anyone else half decent on IR.

Seen a comment on twitter than Gase should be forced to stand behind Shell whilst Carlos Dunlop rushes him for 60 mins as punishment for being so sh1t.

phatkev wrote: »
    Adams left in a walking booth, said he got hurt in the 1st quarter but stayed in the game. I'm at the stage now where I'd be happy to but him, Mosley, Darnold and anyone else half decent on IR.

Seen a comment on twitter than Gase should be forced to stand behind Shell whilst Carlos Dunlop rushes him for 60 mins as punishment for being so sh1t.

Definitely would wrap them in cotton wool at this stage, Darnold was lucky not to take more damage.

Gase getting a lot of flack for returning to the game plan that failed earlier in the season instead of what has been successful the previous 3 weeks. Some are saying that gameplan was largely driven by Sam and Gase returning to his old ways is him proclaiming who is boss. I dont think I believe all that but it is hard to understand why the Jets reverted to a gameplan that failed miserably. Also there was a glaring absence of in game adjustments such as giving Shell help when he was constantly being beaten.

Gase getting a lot of flack for returning to the game plan that failed earlier in the season instead of what has been successful the previous 3 weeks. Some are saying that gameplan was largely driven by Sam and Gase returning to his old ways is him proclaiming who is boss. I dont think I believe all that but it is hard to understand why the Jets reverted to a gameplan that failed miserably. Also there was a glaring absence of in game adjustments such as giving Shell help when he was constantly being beaten.

I'd struggle to believe he actively changed the gameplan back to a losing strategy... Only logic for not helping Shell was that the whole line needed help I guess,

• Advertisement

I'd struggle to believe he actively changed the gameplan back to a losing strategy... Only logic for not helping Shell was that the whole line needed help I guess,

I would struggle to believe that too but one constant you read about Gase is he believes he is the smartest person in the room and he likes to try and prove it.

He also decided not to have a run game, even though the Bengals have one of the worst rush defenses in the league

He also decided not to have a run game, even though the Bengals have one of the worst rush defenses in the league

That was strange, although the line was blown up so much I'm not sure if it would have got anywhere.

Fitz had 65 yards on the ground today, I can only imagine what their going to give up to Lamar on Thursday:(

Darnold was protected well all day but had a distinctly average performance

Fitz had 65 yards on the ground today, I can only imagine what their going to give up to Lamar on Thursday:(

Darnold was protected well all day but had a distinctly average performance

Yeah was Sam's second poor performance this year I'd say, made some nice throws but some very questionable ones too, and yeah probably under the least pressure he's seen all year, and against a secondary nearly as good as ours.

Powell's performance was interesting, he's always looked best as a number 2, but looked good in the lead role yesterday. Probably more of a product of there being less pressure than usual though.

One positive, bearing in mind we were down to whoever could fit in the CB jerseys, I thought they made a few nice plays, soft coverage on a few 3rd downs were annoying but for a bunch of scrubs they weren't the worst.

I saw someone on reddit saying Gregg is the only member of the coaching staff that should be retained for next year, hard to argue with really.

Tonight is not going to be pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Think it's the first time in nearly 2 decades supporting the jets that I've bet against them. Defense is too battered to compete against a multi functional offensive like Baltimore.

Line at 17, I'd fancy that, I'd call 14 by the end of the first quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Wrong thread maybe but - 8.5 @9/20

franglan wrote: »
    Wrong thread maybe but - 8.5 @9/20

I took -15.5 at half time at 5/2. I'm genuinely curious to see what approach gregg williams takes on defense, we're strong against the run but gave up some soft stuff to Fitz at the weekend. Our corners are still totally decimated. Could see him going heavy against the run early on maybe to try and get Lamar throwing? If Adams is playing you could see him watching the option all night long really.

• Advertisement

Just hoping 1) no major injuries 2) If it gets too far out of hand, sit the regulars. 3) They don't get destroyed

I'd just run Bell, Bell, Bell as much as possible. Something they've not done this year.

Just hoping 1) no major injuries 2) If it gets too far out of hand, sit the regulars. 3) They don't get destroyed

I'd just run Bell, Bell, Bell as much as possible. Something they've not done this year.

If he's got over his cold :o I'd really like to see Bell and Powell on the field together and throw some interesting looks out.

For all the stick we're getting over maybe trading Bell, Powell and Ty are both outperforming him and they both run behind the same ****ty O Line and have the same 'questionable' coaching. I'd like to see him actually throw up some numbers at some point.

It's cold comfort, but it appears the Patriots have been caught cheating yet again, filming the Bengals practice.
    http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/nfl/id/28269142
    The Bengals. Really? Is it worth it? Is all the cheating the reason they win the Super Bowl (maybe not getting there this year, one can hope).
    Spygate, Deflategate, now Spygate 2.0 and I'm probably forgetting some other dubious behaviors.

At this point, what can the NFL do? Forfeit their games? Ban them from the postseason and the draft for a year?

It's cold comfort, but it appears the Patriots have been caught cheating yet again, filming the Bengals practice.
    http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/nfl/id/28269142
    The Bengals. Really? Is it worth it? Is all the cheating the reason they win the Super Bowl (maybe not getting there this year, one can hope).
    Spygate, Deflategate, now Spygate 2.0 and I'm probably forgetting some other dubious behaviors.

At this point, what can the NFL do? Forfeit their games? Ban them from the postseason and the draft for a year?

meh, couldnt give a flying **** what the Pats do to be honest and this most recent "incident" seems like a complete non story.
    I'll start giving a **** about what the Patriots do whenever the Jets decide to pull their finger out and actually give them some sort of challenge in the AFCE.

franglan wrote: »
    Think it's the first time in nearly 2 decades supporting the jets that I've bet against them. Defense is too battered to compete against a multi functional offensive like Baltimore.

Hard to argue I would be amazed if they can keep it anyway close.

I took -15.5 at half time at 5/2. I'm genuinely curious to see what approach gregg williams takes on defense, we're strong against the run but gave up some soft stuff to Fitz at the weekend. Our corners are still totally decimated. Could see him going heavy against the run early on maybe to try and get Lamar throwing? If Adams is playing you could see him watching the option all night long really.

Close.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Two more games left in this miserable year and fourth straight losing season. Tell me about this Rugby thing.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Haven't watched it yet but r/nfl was relatively complimentary about us anyway, Sam's numbers look decent. Playing a defence made up of a D line and whoever they could carry onto the pitch, probably should be happy it wasn't higher.

Williams has done a pretty stellar job with the defense in fairness to him. One thing I cant get behind is putting mlbs on the fastest players on the pitch, Hewitt/Basham have been isolated one on one with slot receivers so many times this season. Every game they're good to give up at least one big play or PI, and they can be blamed for any of them, there just not built to cover these speedy receivers

• Advertisement

Williams has done a pretty stellar job with the defense in fairness to him. One thing I cant get behind is putting mlbs on the fastest players on the pitch, Hewitt/Basham have been isolated one on one with slot receivers so many times this season. Every game they're good to give up at least one big play or PI, and they can be blamed for any of them, there just not built to cover these speedy receivers

definitely Hewitt, seen him tracking out wide a number of times and struggling, presumably a product of our dwindling corners

Advertisement