Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torchlight II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Played a bit last night and it's very Diablo2 like which is a good thing IMO. 5 stat points per level and 3 skill trees which can't be reset (bar your last 3 choices). I find myself hoarding skill points already. On the hardest difficulty and I don't think randomly putting points into loads of random skills is going to cut it.

Inventory and Pet management is excellent, makes for 0 downtime which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

A problem I had with TL1 is a lack of progression. Items/Levels/monsters all felt the same and got boring quickly, Has anyone played enough to say if this has been fixed? It is the only thing stopping me from buying TL2:(

A problem I had with TL1 is a lack of progression. Items/Levels/monsters all felt the same and got boring quickly, Has anyone played enough to say if this has been fixed? It is the only thing stopping me from buying TL2:(

Never played the first so can't comment but pretty much every review I have read said the scope is much larger this time around in pretty much every area.

Actually a question for the Torchlight vets; Does difficulty affect how good the loot is? If I was to play on the easiest difficulty, will I still get the same drops as I would playing on the hardest?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

it's a lot different from the original, the different difficulties are progressively harder, you'll find yourself dodging and running to avoid certain mechanics on champions and bosses as well as trash mobs. You will definetly be using potions even on normal. But give the reviews a read and see for yourself, total biscuit (although i cant stand watching him play anything) gives it a fair evaluation in all the videos i've watched of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Mine is about average, or what i'd expect, what resolution are you running it at?

Playing at 1920x1200. I may have exaggerated abit, and it only to tool tips for skills already on the toolbar when you mouse over them, so its no big deal.

Got to level 12 last night and i have to say the game is hard. Playing a melee glass cannon on elite was probably not the best choice, but im gonna stick with it. Spending alot of my gold on health potions also! My char also has a 20% fumble chance which means i have a 20% chance on hit to do 1-2 damage. I dunno if this is because i started on elite difficulty or not, but i hope there are ways to reduce it with gear/stats

• Advertisement

lol fumbles are gas, smacking the living crap out of something then you do 1 damage.. and yes you can reduce it by increasing one of the four major stats, not sure if it's the same stat for every class. But it does tell you in the "C" screen when you hover over the stats.

Fumbles are easy to notice though, i just twigged it myself a while ago, they show in purple numbers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Absolutely loving this. Been a bit glum after buying GuildWars 2 and being horribly dissappointed. This has had me clicking away now for near on 6 hours. (I chose dual pistol wielding Outlander).

Played a small bit online with randomers, not great as most seem to just run straight for quests rather than exploring. Luckily have a mate getting this soon so all sorted there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Is there multiplayer only content in this or can I do everything single player?

danthefan wrote: »
    Is there multiplayer only content in this or can I do everything single player?

If you play online you're just doing co-op so nothing specifically multiplayer. Anything that drops is yours to collect, the mobs increase in difficulty depending on how many people are nearby you. Not sure if the loot is appropriately better tho.

the loot scales within brackets and according to your level, so if you're level 10, and grouped with a level 8 mate, you'll see loot that ranges from 5-12

it's weird picking up white items again after completely ignoring them in diablo3 for so long :)

• Advertisement

Jeez some of the boss battles are simply brilliant. In TL one all I ever did was just stand in one place and spam and down the boss went. I just completed the Mission of Mercy boss and it was awesome. So many pretty colours :D (I may be in love with this game and all for $20.... )

If you play online you're just doing co-op so nothing specifically multiplayer. Anything that drops is yours to collect, the mobs increase in difficulty depending on how many people are nearby you. Not sure if the loot is appropriately better tho.

So basically I can enjoy the whole game in single player? Have GW2 for my MP fix and don't especially want to rely on anyone else to play the game. Also not that bothered about getting the absolute best loot ever, happy enough if I can make it through the game.

Edit - decided to just buy it anyway. My first foray into ARPGs.

So basically I can enjoy the whole game in single player? Have GW2 for my MP fix and don't especially want to rely on anyone else to play the game. Also not that bothered about getting the absolute best loot ever, happy enough if I can make it through the game.

For the price you can't go wrong. Play it on veteran level I reckon, seems a reasonable challenge so far. Can't imagine anyone not liking this game.

Already started on normal, I think I'll stick with it and ramp up the difficulty if I decide to play though again. Just did the first sort of mission/quest, seems enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Yes, the full game is playable in Single Player mode. No online requirement.

Stay on normal if it's your first arpg, the difficulty ramps up pretty fast about half way through act one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Great game. Impulse bought and played for four hours straight with friend.My first ARPG too.

Can someone offer some advice.

I'm a bit of a glass cannon. I have some low level armor that have reasonable stats enhancers etc. Is it worth more from a survival perspective to drop them for higher level gear with more physical armor and lesser stats? Does 12 phys armor offer much more of a defensive benefit than something with say.... 4? (I'm lvl 27 atm)

Can someone offer some advice.

I'm a bit of a glass cannon. I have some low level armor that have reasonable stats enhancers etc. Is it worth more from a survival perspective to drop them for higher level gear with more physical armor and lesser stats? Does 12 phys armor offer much more of a defensive benefit than something with say.... 4? (I'm lvl 27 atm)

From reading the stats page (Default shortcut is J) it seems that the defense stat is nothing fancy and is a straight number reduction depending on your total def stat. Like if an enemy hits you for 50 Physical Damage and your overall physical defense stat is 25, he will only hit you for 25 Damage.

As for what stats to go with it really depends on your class and what kinda build your going for. Beserker for example have quite a few skills/passive that proc on crits so boosting Dex is an obvious choice. But then there is another build that doesnt build Dex as much since Zerker gets 100% crit chance when his charge bar is full and then you build around skills and passive that make charge build faster and last longer. Think about Dex is that it increases your crit chance which is apparently a rare stat on gear compared strength which is a flat damage increase which you can get simply by upgrading your weapon

Fair enough. I'm not so bad unless I get swarmed but I now have access to a couple of skills that helps (stone pact and repulse hex). I picked some ****ty skills that I regret a bit now tho.

• Advertisement

I picked a Barbarian anyway, played for about 3 hours today and really enjoying it. Dual wielding claws which seems to be going well. Only thing is since you can't respec I'm terrified of spending any of my ability points (i.e. not the ones you put in Dex, Str etc). Afraid I'll screw my my build, I have like 9 of them to spend.

I picked a Barbarian anyway, played for about 3 hours today and really enjoying it. Dual wielding claws which seems to be going well. Only thing is since you can't respec I'm terrified of spending any of my ability points (i.e. not the ones you put in Dex, Str etc). Afraid I'll screw my my build, I have like 9 of them to spend.

You can always start over but it's not too hard to get horribly wrong. If you do start over it's worth knowing the bosses etc remain but the levels etc build randomly so great replayability.

You can bet your ass that one of the first mods will be a respec potion, but juts looking at the talent trees i can understand why they did that. people would be saving the points to pop into a level 40 skill and max it out, then just spam that all the way through..

I like it the way it is, it doesn't force you to make a decision, rather it gives you an option to try out a new spell, spend three point, see if you like it, if not, nuke it and try something else. the tiered spell rank bonus's are brilliant aswell

You can always start over but it's not too hard to get horribly wrong. If you do start over it's worth knowing the bosses etc remain but the levels etc build randomly so great replayability.

I don't want to start over, that's not something that appeals to me at all.

I've bought a few of the passive abilities anyway, I might just do what the poster above has suggested, spend 3 points, try the spells out, and I can respec then if I need to. Won't spend more than 3 points though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

It's all that I hoped for :D

You can bet your ass that one of the first mods will be a respec potion, but juts looking at the talent trees i can understand why they did that. people would be saving the points to pop into a level 40 skill and max it out, then just spam that all the way through..

I like it the way it is, it doesn't force you to make a decision, rather it gives you an option to try out a new spell, spend three point, see if you like it, if not, nuke it and try something else. the tiered spell rank bonus's are brilliant aswell

I read there is a console command/cheat that gives you a free respec. Didnt read how to do it since i like the game the way it is atm. So far i have only bought 4 skills, 1 being a passive and pumped those

would be way to tempted to mess around with that :D

Excellent so far. It's so much closer to what Diablo3 should have been in terms of skill points and talent trees which I love.

Playing a semi-tanky 2 hand using engie. All of my skill points have gone into passives so far as I'm really unsure what build to go as of yet. Need to decide on a damage and charge building skill and max them.

One thing I'm worried about; It seems you can play online with your single-player characters. Surely people will release editors and make godly characters and dupe items at will?

it's very open like that alright, but you can view the other players stats to see if they are using modded gear. The average itemlevel gives a really good indication if they are or not.

• Advertisement

Rolled an engy to have a look. Way stronger than my Outlander.. I get the impression it'll be a touch OP later on.

Advertisement