Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torchlight II

Options
  • 26-04-2012 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭

No doubt if this was released before the 15th of may it would be completely eclipsed by Diablo 3, however..

http://www.torchlight2game.com/news/2012/04/26/torchlight-ii-available-for-pre-order/

It's out this summer with the added bonus of the steam pre-order having the original game come with it, and you can play the original right now if you fork out the 19euro they're asking for it.
    No official release date, just "summer". If you're waiting for Diablo 3, the original Torchlight is a safe bet for a really decent, really addictive arpg while you wait:)

Well worth it imo
    Here's the steam page and a look of some of the game play.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/200710

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm actually more psyched about Torchlight II than Daiblo III. The original was such an unexpected gem, with lots of little improvements on Diablo II that made you go "oh yeah, that's a great idea".

I'll still end up getting both, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Me too, and yeah, the whole idea of the pets acting as mules that could leggit back to town to sell crappy loot was pure brilliant! And oddly enough i missed that in the D3 open beta

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

hmmm that is quite a good deal.

it would be a great for killing time, untill diablo 3 comes out, but problem is after diablo 3 will be out i wont give a crap about torchlight... i wont be investing time in 2 games, i will need to choose one, and i am pretty sure diablo 3 has quite an advantage here...

It's nice to keep the options open, cant go wrong for 20quid and 2 quality games from the same people who developed Diablo and Diablo 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's nice to keep the options open, cant go wrong for 20quid and 2 quality games from the same people who developed Diablo and Diablo 2 :)

true, but it reminds me mmorpg dilema i allways get in to: no point having few mmorpgs subbed at same time, because you cant have enough time to play them all! ( costs outside ).
    so i dunno if its worth spending 20eu on it now, if i will have time only for diablo 3. i am not saying its going to be a bad game, just saying that i always being a dick and priorities stuff :o.

i would not mind picking up torchlight for 5 quid now, so it would entertain me untill 15th, but no way ill pay 15eu for it...

• Advertisement

I hear ye :)

I'm just thankful there's no sub for either TL2 or D3!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

D3,Torchlight2 and Path of Exile = spolied for choice in this genre.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Having never played *any* of these sorts of games before, I gave the D3 open beta a go at the weekend and now really fancy giving Torchlight a look. The pre-order deal to get the first game seems like exactly the sort of thing that's going to entice me :D

Shiminay wrote: »
    Having never played *any* of these sorts of games before, I gave the D3 open beta a go at the weekend and now really fancy giving Torchlight a look. The pre-order deal to get the first game seems like exactly the sort of thing that's going to entice me :D

If that entices you Path of Exile will do more so, its going to be free to play.
    The open beta recently was very impressive, you can make a small donation to the game and get into current beta events.
    Back on topic torchlightII should be great the first one was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

is it going to be an mmorpg or will it be like the original?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Loved the first one. Holding off on ordering this until the Mac client is announced. DIII will keep me going.

TheGunns wrote: »
    is it going to be an mmorpg or will it be like the original?

Same as the original, but with multiplayer, so it's similar to diablo, coop with up to 4 people in the same game. That said, you can happily play through single player too. Not sure what if any differences there are in coop as opposed to single player campaign atm though. I guess we'll find out closer to the release date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I liked Torchlight I have to admit but I didn't love it, it was too short, and way too repetitive at that, the only thing they got perfect was the loot which I guess is one of the points of these games but still felt like Diablo's poor cousin.

Just spent the last 90ish minutes playing the torchlight 1 demo - what an awesome game! Really looking forward to getting the full game (payday tomorrow) and even if the sequel is more of the same with new characters and multi-player added, that's cool with me :D

Hope ye do enjoy it, i know i did.. plus it's got a hardcore mode if you're feeling brave enough to have only 1 life from start to end. Cant even tell you how many times i literally shouted out in pain because of a hardcore death in TL :D

Luckilly though it's got a stash for hording all your bestest equipment and gems :)

4 pack just purchased, have started to share the love with some others (girlfriend in particular will enjoy it I think). Can't wait to get home now and get stuck into it properly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Looking for a fourth for a 4 pack. PM me your steam ID if you want in! Canadian accoutn will be buying it so it works out at about 12 euro.

EDIT// Got the fourth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Beta weekend this weekend for Torchlight 2! I believe you need to register on Runicgames.com and then they issue keys regularly.

I've been playing for the last hour and having a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7jd3FeynOw&feature=g-all-u

gameplay video from AngryJoe on the Beta. Looks epic to me but very similar to Diablo. Still can't wait for this and think its released sometime around the end of June. Will cost around a third of the price of normal games which is really quite astonishing as they could charge a good bit more for and people would still buy.

Looking forward to this just as much as i was diablo3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Really enjoyed the beta and cannot wait to get the full game! have it pre ordered :)

Dcully wrote: »
    Looking forward to this just as much as i was diablo3.

me too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

does this work in the same way as diablo with the increase in difficulty etc?

interesting comparison done by runic this evening,

205251_504025962957805_335367867_n.jpg

still no release date :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    does this work in the same way as diablo with the increase in difficulty etc?

Can't be sure about Torchlight II, but in the first one, the difficulty increased the further down into the dungeon you went. There was also 3 different difficulty levels to start with, but only the highest setting was fun.

I do hope they increase the difficulty this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Can't be sure about Torchlight II, but in the first one, the difficulty increased the further down into the dungeon you went. There was also 3 different difficulty levels to start with, but only the highest setting was fun.

I do hope they increase the difficulty this time around.

Does the difficulty affect the drops? Like could the best tier of loot drop on the lower difficulties?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Note: I didn't actually finish TL1

Two things I am looking for:

1) A sence of achievement/progression, In TL1 I just cleared floor after floor of baddies and didn't feel as if I was doing anything worthwhile, The world didn't change and no one seemed to acknowledge my efforts. Every few floors a scripted event would appear and then I would continue down the dungeons until the next event.

2) Item personality, In D2 unique items actually felt unique and even if I couldn't use them I still kept them because I might be able to use them on another character. In TL1 there was only 1 item in the entire game that was actually unique and interesting(The sword of Adam), All the other unique items in TL1 felt all the same with no personality whatsoever. They were boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Big Knox wrote: »
    Does the difficulty affect the drops? Like could the best tier of loot drop on the lower difficulties?

Items always dropped at around your own level. The game difficulty only affected how much HP and damage the enemy did. No idea if it will be the same in T2 though.

looks like this release date is about a month away. Judging by the devs update posts on their forums they're polishing act3 of 4 at the moment.

They are hesitant to give an actual date yet though. Still, looking forward to this :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement