Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well done Anne.... everybody is in safe hands with you at the helm and it's a great idea to get it started as early as possible.

I'll try to pop on with some words of wisdom although I'd still consider myself a novice as it's not that long since I ran my first marathon and I am definitely still learning.

Very, very best of luck to those of you who are training for your first marathon, you'll find lots and lots of useful advice and support on here and it will make the journey all the more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Best of luck everyone! I'll be lurking here - I found myself very very tempted to join you this year but I've only been running since December so I think I'll cheer you all on and pick up some tips for next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

shazkea wrote: »
    Throwing my hat in the ring for an autumn marathon. Goal is to get to the start line injury free...if I can do that I'll worry about the time on the day :)

Roller coaster ride here I come!

Oooh now having seen this post I'm sorely tempted as that would be one of my goals too. Last marathon was in Paris 2006 where I ran/walked due to injury. Most of my PB's are 2007. Swam the Sam-sunk 10k on Sunday and was happily injury free though very slow. I think I'm going to lurk for a while - following the "ease into 10k" plan via the app on my Iphone at the moment.

Will be watching with interest ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RunForPaddy

Hi everyone. My 1st post.

Adrian is my name, my username on here is about my reason for running my 1st marathon. I'll start by answering a few of the questions.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    5km - 28:38 May 2012

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    Not for anything under 10km.. but it's slow going :)

How much training do you currently do?
    Cycle to work 4 days a week. 80km in total a week
    Run 2 or 3 times a week... 5km to 7km each time

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Not too worried about time for my first one, but anything under 4:30 would be nice

How many days a week can you train?
    I guess I will be training 4 out of 7 days with 3 rest days. I am following the beginner MarathonRookie.com plan

Why are you running this marathon?
    It's all for cancer research (Irish Cancer Society) in the name of my father-in-law (Paddy Supple) who we lost to pancreatic cancer in Jan. 12 weeks from diagnosis to death so this is something I want to do to remember him. I have set up www.RunForPaddy.com for family and friends to get involved and help me stay motivated. 100% of proceeds to Irish Cancer Society.

Nervous about the usual things like getting injured and not making it to the start line. I am going to be running the Dublin Race Series as it ties in nicely with the Marathon Rookie training plan I am doing.

Thanks for having me here!

Adrian

RunForPaddy.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hello all, great to see this thread started, when I first decided I was doing the marathon back in December, it seemed like so far away, this thread makes it seem so much closer! A little about me, I am a 32 (nearly 33!) year old female. I started running about 3 years ago doing the couch to 5K just to get a bit of general fitness. My running used to be sporadic at best, 3 times a week during the summer, but then during the winter I could go weeks without running. I printed out a running plan at the end of January, and I have been pretty good sticking to it so far. I train on my own and did my first road race last week – 10k in 48.58 (sounds less than 49 doesn’t it :D) It was a hilly course, I think I could do better if I put a bit of effort in. I got such a buzz from doing that, so can only imagine the buzz of doing the full marathon! I planned to follow the Hal Higdon plan, but I am a bit ahead of that as I am doing 10 miles as part of a relay team in the Cork Marathon in June.

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) Have only done a 10k race, 48.58. Fastest 5k is probably somewhere round 23 mins, haven’t actually timed that.
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do! Tend to take a 10 sec breather at about the half way mark, probably more habit than anything.
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant Run 4 times a week Tuesday – 4 miles, Wed – 5 miles, Thurs – 4 miles and longer run on Saturday – currently about 6 miles, but hoping for my first 7 mile this weekend!
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Dream finishing time would be under 4 hours, realistic – not too sure yet until I do more training, but would hate it to take longer than 4.30!
    • How many days a week can you train? 4/5
    • Why are you running this marathon? I have never stuck at anything before, I would always consider myself a bit of a ‘quitter’. I want to do this and see it to the bitter conclusion to prove to myself that I can stick at something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SpionJoe

This thread seems perfect for me.....(thanks to RayCun for sending me !!!)

I have been sporadically running for the past 12 months and managed the Simon 5K, Irish Runner 5 mile, 5K with Ray and also my own runs throughout the weeks.

I am determined to do the Dublin Marathon this year and will deffo be joining in this thread and the plan.

1 question--- What do you reccomend from now until the plan begins as some base training for me. ??

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

SpionJoe wrote: »
    This thread seems perfect for me.....(thanks to RayCun for sending me !!!)

I have been sporadically running for the past 12 months and managed the Simon 5K, Irish Runner 5 mile, 5K with Ray and also my own runs throughout the weeks.

I am determined to do the Dublin Marathon this year and will deffo be joining in this thread and the plan.

1 question--- What do you reccomend from now until the plan begins as some base training for me. ??

Thanks

What's your training like at the moment? You could a look at Hals 10km plan and jump into the appropriate week to get some base training in before marathon plan kicks off.

meemeep wrote: »
    Oooh now having seen this post I'm sorely tempted as that would be one of my goals too. Last marathon was in Paris 2006 where I ran/walked due to injury. Most of my PB's are 2007. Swam the Sam-sunk 10k on Sunday and was happily injury free though very slow. I think I'm going to lurk for a while - following the "ease into 10k" plan via the app on my Iphone at the moment.

Will be watching with interest ;)

Go on sign-up...you know you want to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SpionJoe

What's your training like at the moment? You could a look at Hals 10km plan and jump into the appropriate week to get some base training in before marathon plan kicks off.

Thanks shazkea, thats a good idea, i could slot into week 4 of the Higdon 10K straight away and work on that as my base training until the Marathon Plan begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Alanm

This is something I'd be keen to join ..

I first took up jogging at the start of last year and did a few 5-10k races during the year. I spent about 6 months building towards Conn full as my first marathon. Unfortunately I picked up too many niggles along the way which curtailed my running - I believe this was mostly due to increasing my weekly distances too quickly! I ended up doing conn 1/2 instead.
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) 5k in 23 mins, 10k in 47 mins and finished conn half in 1:52
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do! No
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant While training for conn I was running 4 times a week, 3 runs around 8-12k and one LSR at the weekend. I have been doing some cycling at the weekends too which may have to go (due to time constraints)
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? I think, with 6 months of quality training, I should be able to go Sub4, dream finishing would be 3:30 but that is probably pushing things too much..
    • How many days a week can you train? 4 anyway
    • Why are you running this marathon? I enjoy the training, I really enjoy the weight loss and I like having a target to aim for/keep me motivated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

You could a look at Hals 10km plan and jump into the appropriate week to get some base training in before marathon plan kicks off.

As Shaz pointed out the Hal 10k plan is perfect for building up the mileage until the Full training plan starts on 25th June...thats a full 8 weeks...theres alos the Hal Spring plan...just jump in at week 5....
    for those of you who are doing a bit more just make sure that you can comfortable do the first week plans when we get to it and it will be increasing week on week...

Anyone who is not sure if they want to do the full marathon yet, start the training anyway and decide later. Build it up The first race of the Dublin series will be the Irish Runner 5m on June 30 and everyone should be aiming for this to experience the atmoshpere of the race

Alanm wrote: »
    This is something I'd be keen to join ..

I first took up jogging at the start of last year and did a few 5-10k races during the year. I spent about 6 months building towards Conn full as my first marathon. Unfortunately I picked up too many niggles along the way which curtailed my running - I believe this was mostly due to increasing my weekly distances too quickly!

This is very common and happens to lots of people when they start running at first....the golden rule is 10%...never increase your weekly total by more that 10% and this is why a training plan is important as it guides you on what to do.....
    Well done on Conn...a tough course by all accounts. By the way cycling is great as your cross training so don't drop it yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Good amount of names coming in already! Is it nearly time for a table yet Anne????

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Good amount of names coming in already! Is it nearly time for a table yet Anne????

Bob. Think it might be a bit too soon for a table.....but then again never too early for tables:D....i don't want to frighten anyone away yet so maybe a week or two if they want to log their training...
    what do others think....

Do you want a Table with your name in it???

something like this

|Name|Weekly miles| Comments |
    |Younganne|12m| building up the base|

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Alanm

Younganne wrote: »
    This is very common and happens to lots of people when they start running at first....the golden rule is 10%...never increase your weekly total by more that 10% and this is why a training plan is important as it guids you on what to do.....
    Well done on Conn...a tough course by all accounts. By the way cycling is great as your cross training so don't drop it yet...

Thanks for the reply! I was reasonably good at staying around about 10% per week, my problems seemed to be mostly cause by continuously increasing 5/6 weeks in a row (I went from around 40k a week to over 65k a week far too quickly). I plan on using the next 6 months to do a much more controlled build up which will hopefully keep the niggles to a minimum!

Conn was brilliant, if all goes well and I complete Dublin successfully, I'm definitely going to attempt the full there again next year!

At the moment, I don't seem to have the energy/time to do both the cycle and LSR at the weekend; and if one has to go it will be the cycle..

Table? Isn't it all about the fancy Google docs these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Whatever is best practise i suppose, i wouldn't mind doing a weekly mileage update like that.

Bob. Think it might be a bit too soon for a table.....but then again never too early for tables:D....i don't want to frighten anyone away yet so maybe a week or two if they want to log their training...
    what do others think....

Do you want a Table with your name in it???

something like this

|Name|Sessions|Weekly miles| Comments |
    |Younganne|3|12m| building up the base|

I'm good with the table Anne; maybe just add in the no of sessions per week. Other than that looks good :D

Yes a table!!!

Name, weekly miles and comments is plenty i think no need for session number yet IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Could add the date (like "week starting" or "week ending" date) to the table maybe? That way I'll have to fill in my runs every week, & no hiding if I slack off for a week :o
    I'm so enthusiastic about this at the moment :D God I hope this lasts...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

So who went out for a run/swim tonight!! Only months left:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I done a short 3 mile run in the gym with some stretches and then physio for a nerve problem in my arm

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Am very tempted to give this a try. haven't made my mind up yet but sure i have to June 25 to decide. A 31year old male 6 '1 104kg. started running back in January having been largely inactive for the last few years. have really gotten into the running was training 3-4 times a week and was up to 10k comfortably. Admittedly having done anything in the lst 2 weeks due to the arrival of my 2nd child.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    having done a proper race, am planning on doing the leixlip 5k on saturday. in training my best 5k was 27mins and 10k was 55 mins

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    not unless i'm too fast at the start

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    as i mentioned above i also do some rowing and cycling in the gym

I'd love to finish in under 4 hours but i suppose i'd be happy at this stage just finishing it

i can train 3-4 times a week

If i decide to do it i'll be running for Brainwave. My first child was diagnosed with epilepsy at 3 months old.

|Date| Name |Sessions|Weekly miles| Comments |
    |01 May 2012|Younganne|3|12m| 2 short & 1 long run..still building up the base|

We might use this as a roll call to see who is interested at the moment...no problem putting down your name and taking if off later if you decide this is not the year for you!!

To add into the table quote the last post with the table in it...remove the Quote tags but leave the table tags and then put in your details after the last person!!

Am very tempted to give this a try. haven't made my mind up yet but sure i have to June 25 to decide. A 31year old male 6 '1 104kg. started running back in January having been largely inactive for the last few years. have really gotten into the running was training 3-4 times a week and was up to 10k comfortably. Admittedly having done anything in the lst 2 weeks due to the arrival of my 2nd child.

having done a proper race, am planning on doing the leixlip 5k on saturday. in training my best 5k was 27mins and 10k was 55 mins

not unless i'm too fast at the start

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    as i mentioned above i also do some rowing and cycling in the gym

I'd love to finish in under 4 hours but i suppose i'd be happy at this stage just finishing it

i can train 3-4 times a week

If i decide to do it i'll be running for Brainwave. My first child was diagnosed with epilepsy at 3 months old.

Congrats on the arrival of no 2, happy days...i think that if you are thinking of doing this years Marathon that you should start building back up to the 3-4 runs a week and then see how it sits with you when the plan starts in June..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Valeo

Hi All,
    I’m going to join you on this adventure. I have one marathon under my belt but that was back in 2009 and unfortunately I didn’t keep up the running for much longer after that.
    Have you raced before?
    My short running career to date can be summed up as follows
    -In September 2009 I ran Cork half marathon in 1:45:06
    -I ran Dublin marathon in 2009 in 3:57:03
    -5 mile December 2009 34:13
    -10 mile February 2010 75:39
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    Only starting back so more than likely will have to :(
    How much training do you currently do?
    I am literally only starting back running and the goal this week is 11 miles
    What do you want to achieve?
    Finish the marathon and if I do better than my first attempt well and good if not finishing will be achievement enough
    5 days
    I was watching the London marathon last week and decided to take the finger out and have another go at it because I did enjoy the training, the level of fitness I achieved and the sense of accomplishment when it was over

|Date| Name |Sessions|Weekly miles| Comments |
    |01 May 2012|Younganne|3|12m| 2 short & 1 long run..still building up the base|
    We might use this as a roll call to see who is interested at the moment...no problem putting down your name and taking if off later if you decide this is not the year for you!!

To add into the table quote the last post with the table in it...remove the Quote tags but leave the table tags and then put in your details after the last person!!

Good stuff Anne, thanks. How about we kick off on Sun night/Mon morn so we can start with this weeks sessions. Everyone ok with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good stuff Anne, thanks. How about we kick off on Sun night/Mon morn so we can start with this weeks sessions. Everyone ok with that?

That suits me fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I think I have plantar fasciitis. Going to see a physiotherapist to confirm. More than likely I won't be running for a few weeks. Really annoying as I was really starting to get into the training.

As soon as I am back on the road I will be back here. Best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Hi,
    Hope I'm not too late to add my name to the list of hopefuls for this years marathon.!

Great Ireland Run 10km (last month): 50:13

No, can slow down and catch my breath after hills

Currently run 3 times a week. Usually 2 5km's and a 7km.
    Started mountain biking one day a week too.

4hrs something..... anything under 5hrs basically.

I can train 4/5 times a week

I trained for one before (around 7/8yrs ago) and got injured near the end of the program. Mostly cause I hadnt followed the training properly and tried to ramp up the distance too fast at the end.
    Injured my knee playing football a couple of years ago and have since had two minor ops on it. Wasnt sure if I'd be ever be able to run a marathon and was gutted at the prospect of not being able to, but did all my physio this time, have been running the last few months without issue, building up slowly and feel much better.

• Advertisement

martyoo wrote: »
    I think I have plantar fasciitis. Going to see a physiotherapist to confirm. More than likely I won't be running for a few weeks. Really annoying as I was really starting to get into the training.

As soon as I am back on the road I will be back here. Best of luck to everyone!

Hey Martyoo here is a good article on it which may help but yea go to your physio to get professional advice too.

http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/search?q=plantar

Advertisement