Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood risk in the South and East, very heavy rain and strong winds, Tues - Fri

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

jjj6894x wrote: »
    a human cost behind it when it arrives.

We've had debates over this before. particularly the snow events. We decided that this was the weather forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭squirrel6767

gbee wrote: »
    We've had debates over this before. particularly the snow events. We decided that this was the weather forum. :)

But you can offer a really good service to those of us who were badly affected and displaced for months only to be facing the same again so soon with no insurance cover.

Due to my paranoia I have also been keeping an eye on this thread for the last few days because of the lack of detailed information from meteireann etc.

Sifting out some of doom monger posts I did get a better sense that this was not going to be as impacting (but we did take some precautions anyway)

Thanks to all for the detailed information.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jjj6894x

yes, and special thanks to mt cranium for his/her posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

A few videos from today from an Android phone.

Getting soaked in Bulloch Harbour

The forty foot, quality is bad at the start as the lens was getting soaked with spray

Coliemore harbour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MarkyV

and speaking as someone who was flooded out of it in dublin 8 last october, thank christ for that.

i can understand people wanting to see a bit of exciting meteorological action, but they have to remember there is often a human cost behind it when it arrives.

Dont live on a flood plain simples....

I do feel for you though.. Was out on rescue during the floods all round Dublin 8 last time not with the services just being a good Samaritan and all prepped to do it again tonight when the rain water arrives from the mountains thats been building up all day which the Met havent announced or advised the DCC on..Not meant to be a downer but stay cautious just throwing it in there :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Anfield Road

rain still lashing down in Rathdrum Co. Wicklow along with that nasty wind. It hasn't stopped since I got up at 7am this morning. Lucky Arklow nice & dry and it's only down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Heavy rain in Galway now, the rain so far in the South and East was nothing like what Met Eireann forecast, unless something major happens it looks like thats it for now.

I posted this yesterday in this thread -
    According to www.meteoalarm.eu for tomorrow -
    "No special awareness required" confused.gifconfused.gif

And that was spot on, a bit of wind and rain - big deal - It's April, It's Ireland !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I was flooded last October, have sand bags in position since last night, guess I'll take them away now

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jjj6894x

MarkyV wrote: »
    Dont live on a flood plain simples....

in fairness, the entire population of the country cannot live on top of huge hills, especially in built-up urban areas. to say nothing of the fact that nobody can sell their house at the moment anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Heavy rain in Galway now, the rain so far in the South and East was nothing like what Met Eireann forecast, unless something major happens it looks like thats it for now.

Yes, hardly a drop in parts of Carlow and Kilkenny, areas I thought would get a drenching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

:pac:

202212.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

wind has picked up again big time in Dalkey, light to moderate rain also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

in fairness, the entire population of the country cannot live on top of huge hills, especially in built-up urban areas. to say nothing of the fact that nobody can sell their house at the moment anyway!

Nobody in this country should be living on a flood plain, full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

still lashing down here in north meath, no let up since it started around 10.30 this morning, although it doesnt seem as windy as it was earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

But according to aa road watch there is spot flooding and excess surface water in leinster and Munster this evening with no sign of rain easing.

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

thomasj wrote: »
    But according to aa road watch there is spot flooding and excess surface water in leinster and Munster this evening with no sign of rain easing.

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch.aspx

No major rain in South Cork all day just some showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

whitesands wrote: »
    A few videos from today from an Android phone.

The forty foot, quality is bad at the start as the lens was getting soaked with spray

Was there many out swimming at the 40'?:)

Great weather for a walk in the park i must say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I was confused all week why this was being built up so much, it never looked like anything more than a very unpleasant day with a bit of spot flooding. To be fair neither ME or most people here hyped it up but the media have been going on about it all week as if a repeat of last October was going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Harps wrote: »
    I was confused all week why this was being built up so much, it never looked like anything more than a very unpleasant day with a bit of spot flooding. To be fair neither ME or most people here hyped it up but the media have been going on about it all week as if a repeat of last October was going to happen

Perhaps it is my fault! I changed the title to Level 2 as the Level 1 was unreadable:o

Now any future Level 2 threads will be treated loosely and we all know what the happened the Boy who cried wolf, the wolf did arrive eventually and he killed all the poor people dead :D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

It was bad for some people.

eCkk5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Did I not see Met Eireann on Sunday showing the weather for the week ahead a showing 200mm rain for the South and East, that certainly has not happened and no warning on the weather after the news at 6pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

To be fair, I don't recall any of the regulars on here calling for monster rain like what was put in the media to makes sales. I myself said spot flooding and rain duration on east coast over the few days could help with Sundays possible threat being enhanced. If people want to blame anyone for there own over reaction then they should look elsewhere because all we to here is highlight, advise and point out the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Wet in Galway last few hours. Steady rain with some heavy bursts. No sign of clearing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

redsunset wrote: »
    To be fair, I don't recall any of the regulars on here calling for monster rain like what was put in the media to makes sales. I myself said spot flooding and rain duration on east coast over the few days could help with Sundays possible threat being enhanced. If people want to blame anyone for there own over reaction then they should look elsewhere because all we to here is highlight, advise and point out the risks.

Not sure if you're referring to my post but I didn't blame people here at all, most here were saying around 30mm with more on high ground which will probably turn out about right. Anyway no harm done, always good for people to be aware of potential bad weather

As for ME predicting 200mm, just had a look at the iplayer and they predicted 200% of normal for the week which I'd guess is looking accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

still pretty bad here in Dun Laoighre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

pauldry wrote: »
    :confused:ogimet has cork down as 87.7mm so far (misprint?

There was an error in the 12Z synop report, where 69661 (966 mm in 6 hours) was inserted instead of 69961 (996 = 0.6 mm in 6 hours).

AAXX 25121 03955 11482 80311 10067 20045 39600 49792 55001 69661 76062 886//
    333 86715 87625 90710 91118=

I myself here had 25.8 mm since 7 am this morning, whereas nearby Dublin and Casement had only 16 and 17 mm, respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

As for ME predicting 200mm, just had a look at the iplayer and they predicted 200% of normal for the week which I'd guess is looking accurate

And therein lies the reason that Met Eireann get so much bad press - people not reading or listening to the forecasts properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Not sure if you're referring to my post but I didn't blame people here at all, most here were saying around 30mm with more on high ground which will probably turn out about right. Anyway no harm done, always good for people to be aware of potential bad weather

This couldn't refer to your post. You are a regular.:)

I can't remember how many times ME were mis-quoted in the last few years, only for people to get annoyed with them.
    I was in the barber today and he told me the weather was supposed to be like a hurricane today!

• Advertisement

This couldn't refer to your post. You are a regular.:)

I can't remember how many times ME were mis-quoted in the last few years, only for people to get annoyed with them.
    I was in the barber today and he told me the weather was supposed to be like a hurricane today!

Ah sure we all know how Chinese WHispers turn out in this country when the papers get a hold of a story....

" looking unsettled this week some rain and wind expected " -

- " better keep the clothes off the line tomorrow they might blow away"

- " You getting your sandbags yet, floods tomorrow at precisely 3pm according to the paper"

- " IM not going to work today as theres meant to be a hurricane " ...

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement