Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood risk in the South and East, very heavy rain and strong winds, Tues - Fri

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MarkyV

ollie1 wrote: »

Is this today Ollie?:D

MarkyV wrote: »
    Is this today Ollie?:D

About 10 mins ago :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MarkyV

About 10 mins ago :)

Awesome just about to get the gear together and head to Dollymount with the dogs :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

KungPao wrote: »
    Yep. Just your average grey blustery day in Cork city.

Total non-event here :/

i know. i was expecting something more like, i know i said howling winds, but when i think about it, i've heard worse.

would love to be down in youghal now, i'd say waves are huge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

In galway we laugh at that its nothing :D:D

Storm 10 wrote: »
    In galway we laugh at that its nothing :D:D

A guy was even telling me to keep back :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i know. i was expecting something more like, i know i said howling winds, but when i think about it, i've heard worse

Just a couple of puffs of wind, 40kmh is the max I found. Windy rather than stormy.

A guy was even telling me to keep back :pac:

"We need a 300 kilometre exclusion zone for the safety of the public" :rolleyes:

gbee wrote: »
    Just a couple of puffs of wind, 40kmh is the max I found. Windy rather than stormy.

:( i know. bah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Wind is picking up here in Navan, Ive just been out in the garden trying to secure the trampoline, its lifting with the wind which is different to what usually happens when its windy here, must be gusts from an unusual direction. Not much rain but the wind is cold..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some heavier bands of rain heading east coast bound in next hour by the looks of the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

:confused:ogimet has cork down as 87.7mm so far (misprint?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Just walked up the quays a little and across Samuel Beckett bridge.it was like walking up (and then across) a wind tunnel. Tiny painful bullets of rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

2qk4u wrote: »
    Wind is picking up here in Navan, Ive just been out in the garden trying to secure the trampoline, its lifting with the wind which is different to what usually happens when its windy here, must be gusts from an unusual direction. Not much rain but the wind is cold..

Wind doesn't like Trampolines.

Don't want this happening.

http://youtu.be/UPKb9z4l7eM

Can't embed for some reason.:o

pauldry wrote: »
    :confused:ogimet has cork down as 87.7mm so far (misprint?

Rain? Rain Rate? Neither in the City anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

blackius wrote: »
    ditto in Arklow and I suspect Dun laoghaire is being over played there.
    Obviously there's surf and some gale gusts but nothing too unusual.
    #boring

Its very wet in London.
    Bone dry now in Arklow so Dublin should be dry soon.

Its the unusual direction of the strong winds making it an exceptional day in Dun Laoghaire as opposed to inland suburbs. Theyve closed pedestrian access to the harbour due to 10 metre waves breaking over the piers, and in 10 years of working with a view of the sea here I can say Ive only seen surf and swell like this maybe twice before.

Rain does seem to be easing a lot now, visibility improved a lot, Howth now visible again

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Plenty of rain & winds starting to strengthen in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

blackius wrote: »

Bone dry now in Arklow so Dublin should be dry soon.
    don't think so, more in the Irish sea on the way - between Wicklow and Anglesea at the moment.
    www.raintoday.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

I'm going to need to attach water skis to my bike to get home......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The Wicklow mountains look to be doing a fine job in killing off the rain as it pushes west, going by the radar, it seems to die out before it can make progress.
    Thanks Lugnaquilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

6 weeks of rain in 72 hours they said...

It was more or less 6 minutes of rain in 6 hours...:D

As someone said earlier,,bring back the showers and the thunder and lightening.

Much much better..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

DART commute coming home was interesting to say the least, big waves slamming onto the carriages between Blackrock and Monkstown. Here in Dalkey massive waves by the coast and spray everywhere, could taste the salt in my mouth:D Very interesting day and I'd say that rainfall accumulations are higher than what most stations are reporting due to the strong winds.

SexyGuy wrote: »
    6 weeks of rain in 72 hours they said...

It was more or less 6 minutes of rain in 6 hours...:D

As someone said earlier,,bring back the showers and the thunder and lightening.

Much much better..

rather dull i know. bring back the hail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Bring back March, just keep the days longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Bit of a disappointment so far. Things have been played up because of the rains in October. Sure let see how it goes from here :0

The tide was high. Think it maxed out at 4.2, half a metre above the prediction, should be gradually dropping now tho.

If it's going to be windy and rainy for a few days, it's just going to end up píssíng people off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Sandymount beach is a bit boring, sheltered from the big waves by Poolbeg & probably Howth, the wind would freeze your ears of though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Heavy rain in Galway now, the rain so far in the South and East was nothing like what Met Eireann forecast, unless something major happens it looks like thats it for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 jjj6894x

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Heavy rain in Galway now, the rain so far in the South and East was nothing like what Met Eireann forecast, unless something major happens it looks like thats it for now.

and speaking as someone who was flooded out of it in dublin 8 last october, thank christ for that.

i can understand people wanting to see a bit of exciting meteorological action, but they have to remember there is often a human cost behind it when it arrives.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement