Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood risk in the South and East, very heavy rain and strong winds, Tues - Fri

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well Dún Laoghaire is the place to be this morning -

Winds NE / ENE gusting over 52 kts, coming right in the mouth of the harbour, high tide isnt due for another 2 hrs and already the surge is well above the high tide mark on the piers. With pressure dropping at something like 5 hPa per hour as well, I would anticipate a bit of coastal flooding at the prone locations, Shankill, Seapoint/Old Dunleary, Sandymount, Irishtown. Lets hope the defence measures taken since 2002 will prove their worth.

The rain is incidental at the moment, moderate at around 4mm per hour, blowing horizontally!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Lets hope the defence measures taken since 2002 will prove their worth.

They streghtened the walls, but didn't strenghten the bridges.
    When the Dodder looked like it was about to flood back in Oct, they couldn't find the keys to the flood gate. The locks were eventually cut off by Fire Brigade. Didin't see this first hand, but have no reason to doubt the sources.

The risk of flood and natural disasters is quite low for Ireland, when don't have any Local plans (drills and evacuations) in place. It leaves us in a bad situation when we do get one.

Dublin (North Wall) 08:18 0.8 02:28 3.7 20:25 1.0 14:57 3.6
    The last flood from hightide was at 5mtr!?! Todays high tide is 3.6. Will the pressure be low enough to allow to rise to 5+?

Be interesting to see how the Liffey will hold up if it does. From Tara street up to Hueston will be the place to watch. Ringsend to Ballsbridge on the Dodder.

The works on Aviva were blamed for the Flooding around Bath Ave, not sure if there is any truth to it. Something similar to what happened in Dundrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Dub Airport reporting gust of 42kts at 11am,strongest of all stations atm

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Guinness Gravity bar cam must be installed outside , its taking some battering!

http://www.guinness-storehouse.com/en/weathercam.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Shannon ATC Sigmet number 3.Moderate to Severe turbulance East of 10 West between the surface and 5000ft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Nabber wrote: »
    They streghtened the walls, but didn't strenghten the bridges.
    When the Dodder looked like it was about to flood back in Oct, they couldn't find the keys to the flood gate. The locks were eventually cut off by Fire Brigade. Didin't see this first hand, but have no reason to doubt the sources.

I saw it first hand & they did have to cut the locks after trying to find the keys for ages.

I'd be a bit worried about the Dodder beside Marian College as they are halfway through building the new defence wall there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Update -- Centre at 971 mbs near 50.5N 8.0W will drift northeast to reach southwest tip of Wales by midnight, from there it will move slowly inland over Wales and into north central England tomorrow.

Would expect current banding to fill out again in south returning rainfall rates to about 1-2 mm an hour later, while east central bands could intensify from current light falls to 2-4 mms an hour. Still not as intense as last autumn but over a longer duration. The coastal flooding potential is more significant and from what has been reported above, some minor or even moderate flooding appears likely at 2-4 pm. Hope it won't be too disruptive but the storm is pretty much in a steady state as far as gradient and pressure in that area. Winds might ease slightly in Wexford at some point when the low is closer but the gradient does not ease until the storm weakens late tonight otherwise.

The 06z GFS run had a colder look by late Thursday and one could easily imagine the rain becoming sleety and turning to snow on northern hills with those maps. That run also shows a 15-30 mm rainfall potential on Sunday in southern and eastern counties.

Getting back to the later rainfall situation it's clear from animation that heavier moisture is streaming northwest from regions in Cornwall and Brittany that have seen 25-40 mms rain earlier. Also reports of 15-25 mms in the Severn valley with that moisture streaming through central Wales, lifting and possibly positioning to produce streamers for Wicklow and Wexford later. Would expect some risk of thunder afternoon and evening, the dynamics will improve for that.

This storm is basically about one-quarter done and has a long way to go, moving slowly and working on an effective moisture squeeze with the stacking of wind circulations from surface to upper levels. Low centre has only recently curved and begun to move more north than east. These are all factors that should combine with diurnal effect to increase rainfall rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

yeah it looks like wind is more of an issue but rainfall totals will increase by the showers in the hours and days after the main storm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Anyone wanna drive out to The 40ft to take photos?..... oh and to bring me with???? :(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I'm going to try to head out to Sandymount beach at hightide to get some pics, if I get anything good I'll post them up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some Big Pools of water in fields here in Naas.

Rain has picked up more in the last while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

This day 3 years ago we had another impressive looking vortex just off our southeast coast. Seems to be a 25th of April thing..

25th_April_09_1_1.gif
    Image source: Sat 24.com

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Nice bright day in south kerry... Not much rain yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very windy out there now, not nice being out in it!

Driving rain and wind gusting to 50MPH by the coast.

Overall not much rain has fallen, heavy rain just started around 30 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah still steady rain in Dublin city, but not exceptionally heavy. I would estimate around 3-5mm/hour just from looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Pretty much dry here in Cork City.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Pretty much dry here in Cork City.:confused:

Yeah...Huge disappointment...

A bit of a stiff breeze,,and a few drops of rain here and there..

Bummer...Was hoping for a proper storm.

Ahh well....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Nothing really happening here in Waterford. Pretty bright all morning and some small enough showers. Like it's raining a but here now but it's nothing impressive. No special wind either.

Is Waterford being missed by the bad stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

SexyGuy wrote: »

Yep. Just your average grey blustery day in Cork city.

Total non-event here :/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Meanwhile at Dún Laoghaire -

Things seem to have reached something of a peak, wind is gusting 50-55 kts ENE, rain at 6-8mm per hour rates, pressure showing locally at 977 hPa

Still 30 mins to High Water and the surge is already up to the lower walking deck of the West Pier and battering the back of the East Pier - Waves are cresting right into the inner harbour, about as bad as it gets here. High tide is due to be 3.6m however is reaching 3.85 already, that peak level may mitigate the coastal flooding, but as MT says after 2pm is the danger time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Meanwhile at Dún Laoghaire -

Things seem to have reached something of a peak, wind is gusting 50-55 kts ENE, rain at 6-8mm per hour rates, pressure showing locally at 977 hPa

Still 30 mins to High Water and the surge is already up to the lower walking deck of the West Pier and battering the back of the East Pier - Waves are cresting right into the inner harbour, about as bad as it gets here. High tide is due to be 3.6m however is reaching 3.85 already, that peak level may mitigate the coastal flooding, but as MT says after 2pm is the danger time.

I SHOULD BE THERE!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad: .... * eyes up my brothers car* ... even though i cant drive! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

I am down in Forty Foot now its real windy and waves huge :D

p.s hope i don't get blown in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Blustery with moderate rain here for the past 4 hours.

Photo of Sandycove seafront

Whoops sorry photo wrong way around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

KungPao wrote: »
    SexyGuy wrote: »

Yep. Just your average grey blustery day in Cork city.

Total non-event here :/
    ditto in Arklow and I suspect Dun laoghaire is being over played there.
    Obviously there's surf and some gale gusts but nothing too unusual.
    #boring

Its very wet in London.
    Bone dry now in Arklow so Dublin should be dry soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Ogimet has what I can only presume is a mistake with the Cork rainfall, 66mm between 6 and 12 this morning...
    http://ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=03955&lang=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2012&mes=04&day=25&hora=12

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I would have to agree with those who said its been a big disappointment. We have seen hundreds of days like this in our life's. Its just a normal wet and breezy day in Waterford City anyway. The only thing worth noting is the very low temps for April. Bring back the heavy showers and Lightning risk. That was a lot more interesting.;)

So so windy here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Just a rainy and windy day in Dublin 15, nothing special. I've seen far worse without this hype.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

This day 3 years ago we had another impressive looking vortex just off our southeast coast. Seems to be a 25th of April thing..

25th_April_09_1_1.gif
    Image source: Sat 24.com

I guess this is the start of the summer so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement