Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Mini Marathon 2012

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Credibility of the Miss World competition hitting new lows.

Rosanna is starting to remind me of this poor soul:

Wow. I was expecting to hear laughter from the audience

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

If anyone should be in the Olympics, it's "Carmel". Despite
    I gave her mine, because I’m not a competitive jogger
    , not being a "competitive jogger" (whatever that means, it's like being extremely average or something) she managed to finish the race and them double back, give her number to the other one who then managed to finish in 43 minutes.
    “Carmel was ahead of me so it clocked her start time and she ran back and gave me the number so it clocked my finish time, giving me a time of 43 minutes,”

That must mean that "Carmel" finished in super quick time. Sign her up

[URL="javascript:;"][/URL][URL="javascript:;"][/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheRunningDude

Sorry, am I missing something here?

Is there not a quite simple explanation for this?

Carmel starts off the race near the front of the crowd (because presumably shes a decent runner), runs the race in 43 mins, her time is logged at 43, she then has plenty of time to go and meet Rosanna (bcause Rosanna started nearer the back and would have taken her a while to even get to the starting line), gives her the tag (because Rosanna doesn't have one), Rosanna runs to Leeson st, dolls herself up somehwere, she then completes the race in over an hour due to the pitstop.

Presumably only one time can be logged (the 43mins from the decent runner) and the fact that Rosanna went through again, does not mean it gets logged again.

She obviously got confused about the time calculation and how it came out at 43mins, but I could excuse her that.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

Carmel starts off the race near the front of the crowd (because presumably shes a decent runner), runs the race in 43 mins, her time is logged at 43, she then has plenty of time to go and meet Rosanna (bcause Rosanna started nearer the back and would have taken her a while to even get to the starting line), gives her the tag (because Rosanna doesn't have one), Rosanna runs to Leeson st, dolls herself up somehwere, she then completes the race in over an hour due to the pitstop.

Presumably only one time can be logged (the 43mins from the decent runner) and the fact that Rosanna went through again, does not mean it gets logged again.

She obviously got confused about the time calculation and how it came out at 43mins, but I could excuse her that.

Nope not what she was saying, she said clocked Carmels start time and Rosanna's finish, Carmel did however say that she was not a keen runner so wouldn't have been in the elites!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Carmel Murray: "I had [no spare race numbers] so I gave her mine, because I’m not a competitive jogger"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

If anyone should be in the Olympics, it's "Carmel". Despite

, not being a "competitive jogger" (whatever that means, it's like being extremely average or something) she managed to finish the race and them double back, give her number to the other one who then managed to finish in 43 minutes.

That must mean that "Carmel" finished in super quick time. Sign her up

[URL="javascript:;"][/URL][URL="javascript:;"][/URL]
    what i understood from that is, Rosanna was behind here at the start and so it actually took her longer to cross the start line, when Carmel ran back to here she then finished the race. This actually means her chip time of 43 mins is wrong, she would have needed to cover the course faster. :) She might get a sub 40 out of this yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I think the big problem is that, whatever way it happened, she's clearly lying about it.

It really doesn't reflect well on her, or on the charity involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheRunningDude

cbyrne11 wrote: »
    Nope not what she was saying, she said clocked Carmels start time and Rosanna's finish, Carmel did however say that she was not a keen runner so wouldn't have been in the elites!

Possibly a slip of the tongue or a misreporting?

I mean,

“Carmel was ahead of me so it clocked her start time and she ran back and gave me the number so it clocked my finish time, giving me a time of 43 minutes,”

could easily be

“Carmel was ahead of me so it clocked her start time and she ran back and gave me the number so it clocked her finish time, giving me a time of 43 minutes”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Carmel was ahead of me so it clocked her start time and she travelled back in time and gave me the number so it clocked my finish time, giving me a time of 43 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Mother of God, I cant believe she keeps digging herself a deeper hole, instead of holding her hand up and admitting that she tried to pull a fast one. She hasnt got an ounce of sense. She hasnt even got a sense of honour.
    Was watching the highlights on setanta last night and Rosanna was cospicuous by her abscence. Usually she'd be all over that like a fat kid on cake. Posing, being interviewed before and after..........but not a sausage. Linda byrne is the polar opposite, great performance on monday and I hope young girls will look to her as a role model not that other eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

tunguska wrote: »
    Mother of God, I cant believe she keeps digging herself a deeper hole, instead of holding her hand up and admitting that she tried to pull a fast one. She hasnt got an ounce of sense. She hasnt even got a sense of honour.
    Was watching the highlights on setanta last night and Rosanna was cospicuous by her abscence. Usually she'd be all over that like a fat kid on cake. Posing, being interviewed before and after..........but not a sausage. Linda byrne is the polar opposite, great performance on monday and I hope young girls will look to her as a role model not that other eejit.
    I watched it too (not entirely sure why). Linda was superb. She looked incredibly strong throughout. Look forward to seeing how well she does in London. Some of the commentary nuggets:

"So Linda, will you be going for the course record?"
    "I don't know; what is the course record?"
    "I have no idea."

"All of the runners will need to have been stocking up on carbs for the last few weeks"

The worst had to be the clowns in Donnybrook, chasing after Linda Byrne as she went past. Feckin eejits. I would have hit them a box. I heard one of them accidentally clocked a woman further down the field and split her head open.

"I have no idea."

That was funny but it was kind of sad aswell. Is that information even available for anybody to access? If I was the organiser of that race and saw that clip I'd be mortified that the course record isnt even available. Hell the results pre 2005 arent even available on the website.

"All of the runners will need to have been stocking up on carbs for the last few weeks"

Comedy gold.

The worst had to be the clowns in Donnybrook, chasing after Linda Byrne as she went past. Feckin eejits. I would have hit them a box. I heard one of them accidentally clocked a woman further down the field and split her head open .

Man I was hopping mad when I saw that. If I was there I would've kicked the sh1t outta that dope. How could the organisers allow that to happen to the lady leading the race? That'd be like Mark keneally being accosted by clown whilst leading the dunshaughlin 10k. It wouldnt be accepted. Thought Linda was well within her rights to throw a wobbler over that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

tunguska wrote: »
    That was funny but it was kind of sad aswell. Is that information even available for anybody to access? If I was the organiser of that race and saw that clip I'd be mortified that the course record isnt even available. Hell the results pre 2005 arent even available on the website.
    Those to have won the race include Kenya's Magdaline Chemjor and Irish Olympic silver medalist, Sonia O'Sullivan, whose 2000 record time of 31 minutes and 28 seconds has yet to be beaten. Thankfully a little more information available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I watched it too (not entirely sure why). Linda was superb. She looked incredibly strong throughout. Look forward to seeing how well she does in London. Some of the commentary nuggets:

"I have no idea."

The worst had to be the clowns in Donnybrook, chasing after Linda Byrne as she went past. Feckin eejits. I would have hit them a box. I heard one of them accidentally clocked a woman further down the field and split her head open.

Saw that too, really bad form I thought. You should have a word with your brothers Krusty;)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

Comment from the ISPCA on their facebook page:
    "Rosanna Davison has been very supportive of the ISPCA for a number of years giving up her time free of charge to help promote the work of the society in aiding needy animals.
    Rosanna kindly volunteered to attend a photo call in St. Stephen’s Green on Bank Holiday Monday 5th June prior to the women’s mini marathon to highlight the fact that many, many women compete in the event on behalf of the ISPCA.
    While Rosanna had not personally fundraised or sought sponsorship she wanted to participate in the event to support the ISPCA. As she did not have a race number with her on the day an ISPCA staff member offered Rosanna a number they had registered in their own name (11542) before the event commenced.
    Rosanna has confirmed that she fully participated in the marathon and we have no reason to query this. The time that it took Rosanna to complete the marathon has no bearing on the ISPCA."

Shortly followed by
    "Speculative and ill-informed comments questioning the integrity of ISPCA staff will not be tolerated on this page and those that persist in making such comments will be banned."

There's a few comments from people complaining about their comments being deleted too. Bit late for them to try and distance themselves now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Rosanna Davison is a public figure and has made her career/success on the back of objectifing herself in front of the cameras . This was effectively free publicity for her , a photoshoot with herself plastered over most mini marathon advertising campaigns . To imply there was potentially no gain in this for her is ridiculous .

It appears they have admitted anyway to one of their staff breaking the race rules and giving Rosanna a race number registered under a different name .

Hope that public relations officer gets to keep her job , not too sure of her job prospects after this public relations suicide expedition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Seres wrote: »
    Rosanna Davison is a public figure and has made her career/success on the back of objectifing herself in front of the cameras . This was effectively free publicity for her , a photoshoot with herself plastered over most mini marathon advertising campaigns . To imply there was potentially no gain in this for her is ridiculous .

It appears they have admitted anyway to one of their staff breaking the race rules and giving Rosanna a race number registered under a different name .

Hope that public relations officer gets to keep her job , not too sure of her job prospects after this public relations suicide expedition

Well she chose the wrong race to publicise herself, she'd have been better off running for her chosen charity in a male only race since her bread and butter is based on their opinion of her.

rasher_m wrote: »
    Well she chose the wrong race to publicise herself, she'd have been better off running for her chosen charity in a male only race since her bread and butter is based on their opinion of her.
    Her "bread and butter" is appearing in the likes of Hello and VIP. What do you think their male readership is exactly?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Her "bread and butter" is appearing in the likes of Hello and VIP. What do you think their male readership is exactly?

Sorry I guess I'm looking at the bigger picture...who do you think runs the mags, newspapers and pageants?

Sorry I guess I'm looking at the bigger picture...who do you think runs the mags, newspapers and pageants?
    You think they'd have her in them if they weren't selling to women?

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    You think they'd have her in them if they weren't selling to women?

Pageants...eh no....newspapers eh no....mags....well dont know about you but i get mine free and read them when im on the toilet.

Some of the comments on this site are brilliant

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/06/06/theyre-calling-it-rosannagate/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sheilak

Found this on Racepix.com. It shows Rosanna at 9k behind Lynn Bradley (No. 16274), who finished in 1:03
    http://www.racepix.com/MiniMarathon2012/racephotos/746/photo/219/

fortythree.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭derb12

sheilak you sleuth! how long did you spend hunting that pic down?
    it doesn't really prove anything either way though. the fact that she is with 1:03 people doesn't really matter - it all depends on when they crossed the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

derb12 wrote: »
    it doesn't really prove anything either way though. the fact that she is with 1:03 people doesn't really matter - it all depends on when they crossed the start line.

They would have to had crossed the line 20 minutes in in order for her timings to make sense. Considering I crossed the start line at 25 minutes and I was towards the end of the walkers, I'd say that's highly unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

derb12 wrote: »

Well, if she was travelling at 43 minute pace as opposed to their 63 minute pace, surely thousands of runners would have noticed her zooming past them? I have yet to hear one person witness this...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sheilak

She would have had to be doing 7 minute miles while zig-zagging through the slower runners around her after the point at which she crossed the start mat. Does it look like she is doing a 7 minute mile here, bearing in mind that the people around her are averaging 10 minutes? Then again, the ISPCA say that Carmel Murray crossed the mat first, and went back to give her number to Rosanna, who then presumably started the race again with the chip still activated. So her actual time if she did the whole race was even faster than 7 minutes a mile. She should be one to watch in the elite section next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭derb12

Oh god - I am not trying to make her out to be innocent here. I've already posted what i know happened (Carmel Murray crossed the start line, turned right at the canal, went to a house in leeson st, gave number to rosanna who joined the race at a time that would look like "just over an hour" but dopey old her, she forgot to factor in the 20 mins it took carmel to cross the start line. Brilliant!)
    I am just saying that being in this photo with runners who completed in 1:03 doesn't make her story any more or less ridiculous. She could have crossed the line with them and then waited around for 3 or 4 minutes after the finish line for the ISPCA photographer/PR people to snap her when there would have been 1:07 finishers in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    this year I finally broke that nasty 60 min barrier and got in at 58:25. So next year Im a whitey! yay me.

Is that actually true? I came in under the hour this year too, but thought that would make me a pinkie, along with the fast joggers next time? I thought only elite runners got to be whities? Can anyone clarify this point for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

ferretone wrote: »
    Is that actually true? I came in under the hour this year too, but thought that would make me a pinkie, along with the fast joggers next time? I thought only elite runners got to be whities? Can anyone clarify this point for me?

http://www.florawomensminimarathon.ie/race-information.184.html
    According to this, you are qualified to be a runner next year.

Advertisement