Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Mini Marathon 2012

Options
  • 18-04-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

(if anyone has details, post them below and I'll add them here later)

( the rules are clear - this event is for women only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

I'm wondering if anyone has done this before (as far as I know the route doesn't change but here is a link to the map) and could advise on what the route is like - are they any long inclines or things like that? It's my first 10km and where I've been training is mostly flat, so I want to be prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

It's relatively flat as 10k's go, very slight incline up Nutley, little bump to climb over Belfield bridge and pretty flat for the last 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

+1 on what beepbeep said. I had done all my running on a threadmill before my first womens mini so i did find a small struggle going up nutley (wouldnt bat an eyelid going up it now) but there's such a great athmosphere on the day it really helps push you along.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SeeMeRun

Here is a simple little interactive map of the route. Zoom/click/pan to see the place, water stations etc. I took the route details from the same pdf posted above..

http://www.cs.nuim.ie/~rjacob/SeeMeRun/flora/

Opens fine on latest version of chrome/firefox

Hope to have a real-time tracking with StreetView images in time for the race.

Will be testing it during the Samsung Night Run in order to have it up and running for the Mini Marathon.

Should look something like this: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=199322850184195&set=a.190168194432994.41277.189419051174575&type=1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 tammywilson52

Never heard about Women's Mini Marathon anytime. Hopefully it would be fun having a mini marathon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    It's relatively flat as 10k's go, very slight incline up Nutley, little bump to climb over Belfield bridge and pretty flat for the last 4k.

How would you know? Did you run it in drag last year? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

How would you know? Did you run it in drag last year? ;)

BeepBeep67 = Assistant Course Director ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Hi, all
    Im getting nervous! I have signed up for this years run and its squeaky bum time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

jennyq wrote: »
    I'm wondering if anyone has done this before (as far as I know the route doesn't change but here is a link to the map) and could advise on what the route is like - are they any long inclines or things like that? It's my first 10km and where I've been training is mostly flat, so I want to be prepared!

If you have trained then get there early and get up the front of the runners section. Not so near that you're in the middle of the elites but you'll have a fiarly good idea from looking around you if you're in the rigth spot - how lean people are, how many club singlets, are they wearing small amounts of lycra or a large anorack. It will be FULL of walkers even though its meant to be the runners section. Its very frustrating to spend your first 3k and lots of energy battling through 5-linked-across walkers when you ahve trained for it!

Enjoy the race. First one I ever did and I never looked back. :)

It will be incredibly congested so I'd actulaly suggest signing up for a smaller race a week or two afterwards so you can guage your "real" race time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dlaes

Thanks for the info Ray

• Advertisement

Im hoping to do this in 70 mins, any advice be greatly recieved! This is my first 10k ever..gulp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

RayCun wrote: »

( the rules are clear - this event is for women only)

I accept your challenge ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

If you finished the Great Ireland Run in 53 minutes, what time could you potentially finish the Womens mini marathon?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

rasher_m wrote: »
    If you finished the Great Ireland Run in 53 minutes, what time could you potentially finish the Womens mini marathon?

Thanks in advance

They are both 10K races, so it would depend on you. #

There are probably minor differences in the number of hills and the amount of congestion, but I wouldn't have thought it was all that big a difference.

How hard did you find the GIR ?
    Do you think you can run faster ?
    Have you done much training since ?

Hi there,

I am wondering if any experienced runners could answer a question for me?
    I ran the Great Ireland Run in 53 mins and Im wondering from this time, what time I could potentially finish the Womens Mini Marathon?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hi there,

I am wondering if any experienced runners could answer a question for me?
    I ran the Great Ireland Run in 53 mins and Im wondering from this time, what time I could potentially finish the Womens Mini Marathon?

Thanks!
    Flatter course, get there early and get close to the front (this is ridiculously important for this race) - probably 50-51 mins assuming you've been training consistently since then.

thx, i was thinking about the same ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

huskerdu wrote: »
    They are both 10K races, so it would depend on you. #

There are probably minor differences in the number of hills and the amount of congestion, but I wouldn't have thought it was all that big a difference.

How hard did you find the GIR ?
    Do you think you can run faster ?
    Have you done much training since ?

The GIR and MM are vastly different in terms of course difficulty!!! I've heard (and I'd well believe) that the GIR is the most difficult 10K you'll do, certainly around the Dublin area. The MM on the other hand, is virtually flat, and on wide open roads. As long as you get away and get a half clear run at it you should be able to improve a good bit on your time. How much though I've no idea as I'm still a relative novice at 10Ks (and a whole pile slower than 53 minutes!) - but I've done both more than once and there is NO comparison between the courses :D

As for congestion - the MM has about 5 times the amount of entrants, but is much better organised IMO. As long as you're not in the walkers "pen" which stretches back to halfway down Leeson Street AFAIK, then the starting pens are really well organised in my experience. Having said that, I've started both times I've done it in the "fast joggers" section, got a fairly good run at it, plodded along at my own sweet pace - and found myself overtaking walkers (who were obviously only walkers) halfway along the Merrion Road! Either they joined in halfway along, or started with the elites or something.

Anyway, regardless of times, the MM is just the most brilliant atmosphere and experience, so I'd just take it for what it is - if you want to compete with yourself for times I'd find a different one to do, with lower entrant numbers.

ETA - the post to which I responded has disappeared in the time that I spent typing this..... but the gist of it still stands. IMO.

Im hoping someone can help me, I normally do my running first thing in the morning, so this 3pm start will be new to me! What would you advise in terms of eating? I was thinking about my usual porridge for breakfast and maybe poached eggs on toast or a sandwich around 1pm..would this be ok? Im a bit concerned that I will be over full!!! But then again I dont want to be hungry either...

zooming wrote: »
    Im hoping someone can help me, I normally do my running first thing in the morning, so this 3pm start will be new to me! What would you advise in terms of eating? I was thinking about my usual porridge for breakfast and maybe poached eggs on toast or a sandwich around 1pm..would this be ok? Im a bit concerned that I will be over full!!! But then again I dont want to be hungry either...

sounds grand, dont worry too much about the food....its only 10km not a marathon. eat what you said there and maybe a banana around 2.30. main thing is not to eat within an hour before the event and to hydrate, if the weather is like previous years then you will need plenty of water.

• Advertisement

Rasher_m is right, don't worry too much about it.

Your plan of porridge for breakfast and a light lunch is a good one. I would avoid eggs, they are protein based and take a long time to digest but it is a very personal thing - what is right for me won't necessarily be right for you.

I find an empty stomach much easier to run on.

You could do a trial run this weekend. Have a light lunch and go for a run 2 hours later and see how you feel.

Thanks guys! I normally do my long runs on a Sunday morning and have 2 digestive biscuits and a banana with coffee, so I guess I dont need alot, save myself for after!!

Im getting slightly concerned about this heatwave!!! Any advice? I was thinking would it be a good idea to take a sports drink with me, I usually take a running bottle with me full of water but that is for first thing in the morning runs not 3pm!!.. I might tale a lucozade sport out on Sunday and see how i get on, i think there are water stops at 4k and 6k?

zooming wrote: »
    Im getting slightly concerned about this heatwave!!! Any advice? I was thinking would it be a good idea to take a sports drink with me, I usually take a running bottle with me full of water but that is for first thing in the morning runs not 3pm!!.. I might tale a lucozade sport out on Sunday and see how i get on, i think there are water stops at 4k and 6k?

Just make sure you hydrate the day before and the day of the race. There are two water stations plus fire men hosing you down and also kids along the route hanging outside their gardens with garden hoses. make sure you have light clothes on and plenty of sun cream and youll be grand.

Just make sure you hydrate the day before and the day of the race. There are two water stations plus fire men hosing you down and also kids along the route hanging outside their gardens with garden hoses. make sure you have light clothes on and plenty of sun cream and youll be grand.

Thanks!!! I aim to do this in 1hr and 9 mins, fingers crossed! I know I wont be the fastest but am looking forward to it. I have never done this before, so its all new to me

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Good luck to all the ladies taking part in this today.

Looks like it's gonna be a nice day for it. Make sure to stay hydrated!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

If you have trained then get there early and get up the front of the runners section. Not so near that you're in the middle of the elites but you'll have a fiarly good idea from looking around you if you're in the rigth spot - how lean people are, how many club singlets, are they wearing small amounts of lycra or a large anorack. It will be FULL of walkers even though its meant to be the runners section. Its very frustrating to spend your first 3k and lots of energy battling through 5-linked-across walkers when you ahve trained for it!

Enjoy the race. First one I ever did and I never looked back. :)

It will be incredibly congested so I'd actulaly suggest signing up for a smaller race a week or two afterwards so you can guage your "real" race time.

Haven't been checking this thread and really regretting it now - I was somewhere in the middle of the joggers section starting off and my time has definitely suffered from it. Literally half of the crowd starting in the joggers section were walkers. Spent the first 5km weaving in and out of them, extremely frustrating! I don't have a problem with someone having to stop and walk after a few km for a break but most of these people clearly had no intention of doing any jogging, I have no idea why they were registered for that section in the first place. A bit disappointed, but managed to run the whole thing in hotter conditions than I was used to and it was my first 10km so I'm relatively happy. I'm signed up for the Docklands 8km in a couple of weeks so should get a better idea of time then, albeit at a shorter distance.

Don't think I'd do the MM again next year after the experience, unless I could be sure I'd be at the very start of the joggers - it was very tiring and annoying having to jump up and down off the footpath to get around walkers. Might stick to races where there's less likelihood of ridiculous numbers of walkers in a jogging section!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

Haven't been checking this thread and really regretting it now - I was somewhere in the middle of the joggers section starting off and my time has definitely suffered from it. Literally half of the crowd starting in the joggers section were walkers. Spent the first 5km weaving in and out of them, extremely frustrating! I don't have a problem with someone having to stop and walk after a few km for a break but most of these people clearly had no intention of doing any jogging, I have no idea why they were registered for that section in the first place. A bit disappointed, but managed to run the whole thing in hotter conditions than I was used to and it was my first 10km so I'm relatively happy. I'm signed up for the Docklands 8km in a couple of weeks so should get a better idea of time then, albeit at a shorter distance.

Don't think I'd do the MM again next year after the experience, unless I could be sure I'd be at the very start of the joggers - it was very tiring and annoying having to jump up and down off the footpath to get around walkers. Might stick to races where there's less likelihood of ridiculous numbers of walkers in a jogging section!

Any large race you are going to have a similar problem unless you are in the elite enclosure.

Happens every year and its very frustrating.

I haven't run it myself for the last two years as a result.
    I think they have a runners section, which is not for elites but for runners with a previous chip time. If you did well enough to get into that , its a lot better,

However, if you have caught the bug and keep running, there are lots of smaller races out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

From a spectators perspective, if you're in the top 300-400, you have a good clear run on the route, so approximately sub 50 minute target. After that unfortunately, you're in the mix with the walkers and run/walkers and are probably better off just enjoying the experience, and chasing your PB on another day.

Advertisement