Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Mini Marathon 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

If she didn't run the race then she cheated.

If you swap the 10k distance for a marathon distance, and possibly the race for a more "serious" race rather than a "fun run" race, there would be a far greater outcry about this and people would call it cheating.

and one more thing... "its desperate Joe, pure desperate"*

*sorry just had to say that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Congrats to all who completed the mini-marathon on Monday. Despite its many faults it does a great job getting women outside and exercising. Take from the experience and push on. There’s fun runs and road races every single week throughout Ireland. Now that you have got the bug keep at it. Don’t just go back to the couch and wait until next June to run/jog again. Other than the charity element, I don’t see the point in doing the mini marathon if you just go back to bad habits after. Best of luck to all.

Have to say I find the whole Rosanna thing very amusing. I don’t particularly care too much about her. It’s not like she is famous for anything noteworthy. She’s just one of those people who is famous for being famous at this stage. She’s pathetic to cheat like that. However it’s the ISPCA I’d have it in for more. They clearly had a part in this dishonest activity and have shown themselves to be untrustworthy. Why should I give my tenner to them now if they have shown themselves to be scammers? How can I trust them now? How do I know my money is being put to the use it was intended? If you cant trust them with one thing then why should I trust them with my money. These are the questions people are rightfully allowed to ask. Once the trust is gone that’s it. They have damaged their reputation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I saw the pictures of Rosanna plastered everywhere and tried to look up her time but couldn't find it.

I did the mini marathon myself for the first time. I walked it (don't worry, I was in the walking section!! :D) and did it in just under 2 hours which I was quite happy with as I am really unfit. I found the last few km tough going but I just pushed through it.

I think it's kind of disgusting that Rosanna would fake running what is essentially a charity race. I don't think people would care if she walked it and took two hours!

The worst thing is that they have been caught out and won't admit it! Ah well.

I really enjoyed my day and I'm going to start the couch to 5k programme as I would like to be able to at least jog a few km of it next year if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

jennyq wrote: »
    On the FWMM facebook page people have also claimed to see her enter the race at the 9km mark here (might have to like the FWMM page to view this). Must say that's disgraceful carryon by her but also the ISPCA - I know it's tough out there at the moment for charities but there's no excuse for stunts like that.

The Independent claimed she came in at around 50 minutes, with "make-up was still firmly in place". No wonder after only running 1km! Ridiculous that media will give someone like her publicity - even if they wanted a famous face to report on, there were plenty who actually did complete the race they could have photographed!

I thought there was something fishy about her time this year compared to last year

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CS_Runner

I seen a caption in the front of one of todays paper which read something like 'How did Rosanna look so good after the Mini Marathon'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

pconn062 wrote: »
    Out of 40,000 only 300-400 under 50 minutes?? :eek::eek:

I would easily believe it. I was 80mins and when I went over the finish line one of the race organisers shouted out that that was 10,300th across. I was fairly disappointed with my time, 80mins is not great for a 10k - but I still finished just outside the top quarter!!! So that tells you how many walkers there are!

I have to say though, I would still take part in the race again - the atmosphere is fantastic and it's so inspiring to see women of all walks of life out there giving it 100%! Some people have such strength and courage!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

suzie987 wrote: »
    I would easily believe it. I was 80mins and when I went over the finish line one of the race organisers shouted out that that was 10,300th across. I was fairly disappointed with my time, 80mins is not great for a 10k - but I still finished just outside the top quarter!!! So that tells you how many walkers there are!

I have to say though, I would still take part in the race again - the atmosphere is fantastic and it's so inspiring to see women of all walks of life out there giving it 100%! Some people have such strength and courage!
    My official position was 6540th at 1 hr and 11 mins, I was hoping to do under 70 mins but hey it was a great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

I was 225th in 47:50 :eek:

cbyrne11 wrote: »
    Shameful stuff, hope they didn't pay her for this! I know people who trained and ran it for charity and they deserve more recognition than this woman does!

Do you mean she would have got appearance money for running,shameful if she would even accept it,has she pulled this stunt before i wonder??? how low can one get and just to get her publicity and photos in the papers

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It was like everyone was talking in code! Normally Joe would be goading people on, but he had a gag on today by the sounds of it.

Still can't believe they'd actually pull a stunt like that and hope to get away with it - but until someone actually has the balls to accuse them, I guess we'll never know.

I also believe that unless you got away with the first proper runners, there's no way you could manage a time like that - I started in the pink section, and it was absolute bedlam.

Still, it's quite a phenomenon, the whole thing, and despite its faults, I'll be back for more next year!

Joe probably afraid of what Davisons are good at sueing for libel 16 ,winning cases is it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

Looks like the ISPCA are refusing to concede what happened:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0607/1224317443659.html

Completely contradicts this:

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/rosanna-davison-denies-mini-marathon-cheat-claims-3131761.html

Number 1 - you can reprint your entry letter at any time from the FWMM website, so losing her original copy wouldn't have mattered
    Number 2 - Did Carmel Murray give her the number before the race as the ISPCA are saying, or did Carmel Murray start the race, then run back and give her the number? If it's the latter, then it's looking like if you take into account the delays from Carmel Murray having to run back with the number and the sightings of her running onto the course at the 9km mark (after a break?), she could have stormed home the clear winner.

Edit: also just noticed that in her head, the fact that Carmel Murray had to run back means she completed it in a slower time than the 43 minutes the clock showed - when it would be the opposite, obviously! Hilarious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I don't doubt that she is capable of running a decent enough time. But them claiming that the improvements from 51 to 48 then proves that she could improve again to 43 is stretching it more than a little bit.

What is 100% not possible is to cross the start line 20 minutes after the gun, run 9km through those crowds, stop for a make-up break on Leeson Street and then cross the line in 43 minutes.

Edit: Just read the second link where she admits to cheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

“Carmel was ahead of me so it clocked her start time and she ran back and gave me the number so it clocked my finish time, giving me a time of 43 minutes,” she explains.

Am I just reading this wrong ?

If the 43 minutes is done by chip time nothing makes sense here. Firstly, if things are to be believed about there being only one entry, there'll be only one chip. So following on from this statement, when 'Carmel' ran back after crossing the timing mat she would have spent a couple of minutes switching the number and chip. So these minutes would have to be deducted from the chip time when Rosanna passed the finishing mat, meaning she actually ran faster than 43 minutes having ran through the slow crowd as people already said.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Am I just reading this wrong ?

If the 43 minutes is done by chip time nothing makes sense here. Firstly, if things are to be believed about there being only one entry, there'll be only one chip. So following on from this statement, when 'Carmel' ran back after crossing the timing mat she would have spent a couple of minutes switching the number and chip. So these minutes would have to be deducted from the chip time when Rosanna passed the finishing mat, meaning she actually ran faster than 43 minutes having ran through the slow crowd as people already said.

Given that she thinks the delay of Carmel Murray running back to give her the number would mean that the clock time is faster than her real time, her mathematical skills/ability to understand time are definitely in question if nothing else.

If she had as many legs as the story 43 minutes wouldn't be a problem to her...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

She would have been better off saying nothing! Story is now even more full of holes...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

Rosanna seems to be saying that Carmel crossed the start line and then ran back to her with the number and that this all took about 20 minutes before Rosanna got to start the race. She says that this explains the roughly 20 minute time difference between her chip time of 43 mins and the time she says she actually did, which is about 63 mins (or "just over an hour").

If this was the real story though, her chip time would be 83, not 43 surely! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭28064212

If the ISPCA and her had just did a full "mea culpa", admitted everything, said it was simply an ill-thought out publicity event, the story would be over and done with by now. Before the statements to the papers, they hadn't actually lied, they'd just manufactured an event that suggested something other than what actually happened.

Now they've released totally contradictory statements, which mean at least one of them (probably both) are lying

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Haha what a muppet! 2+2 is 4! :rolleyes:

Surely the easiest way to stop all this would be to have timing mats at 2.5km, 5km and 7.5km to record intermediate splits. Rosanna and the ISPCA clearly don't seem to have the intelligence required to get around such measures, judging by recent statements!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

You know what they the say ' truth is like the sun: when it comes out, nothing can block it .

“I registered and paid to enter as an elite runner but the acceptance letter was packed in a box when we moved house,” she told ‘The Star.

Registration acceptance for elite is only permitted on proof of 10k time of less the 45min in a race in the last two yrs , where was her proof of this i wonder

Carmel was ahead of me so it clocked her start time and she ran back and gave me the number so it clocked my finish time, giving me a time of 43 minutes,” she explains.

At a bit of hole digging here !

“Anyone suggesting that I tried to pull a fast one is talking nonsense,” she says.

I wonder who is the one talking nonsense here !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Haha what a muppet! 2+2 is 4! :rolleyes:

Surely the easiest way to stop all this would be to have timing mats at 2.5km, 5km and 7.5km to record intermediate splits. Rosanna and the ISPCA clearly don't seem to have the intelligence required to get around such measures, judging by recent statements!

It wouldnt be worth there while really , as long as the first 15/20 people are correct the organisers wouldnt be too bothered . The First 15/20 people will be from the elites , which always seems to be the case judging by the participants numbers . Elite cheating would be very difficult because they are far less people on the road running and it would be much more obvious if someone came on to the course with a number during the race . Also if they did , they would have to be goin at a fairly lively pace even for 1km so as not to seem inconsistent with the pace of the competitors around them,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

She'll be in the papers a few months from now saying "internet trolls bullied me over my charity work", because anyone who disputes you on the internet in the press is a troll.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You'd think that someone who works in PR for a charity would have a better grasp on what counts as good PR and bad PR for them and not be helping people to cheat on their behalf and running under her name.

Edit: Can't see this doing the future job prospects of Ms Murray any good.

grizzly wrote: »
    She'll be in the papers a few months from now saying "internet trolls bullied me over my charity work", because anyone who disputes you on the internet in the press is a troll.

Well either for that, or given the "dramatic" improvement either
    <Snip> *
    2. last minute Olympic inclusion to irish athletics team

* whether out of order or not is a matter of opinion but no less implausible then the current explaination!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Put that scenario to a bunch of 6th class students, even they could work out that it's a false mathematical statement.

The Indepentant.ie page has turned off comments on their page now. Guess the lawyers have been alerted to remove the explanations of how she cheated.

Credibility of the Miss World competition hitting new lows.

Rosanna is starting to remind me of this poor soul:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dexsan

You can print out as many acceptence letters as you like, you just log on to the MM web site and print them off if you loose one. so theres another lie...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Worst part of this is, now those of us hot enough to still look exceptionally beautiful after running 10k will now be doubted by our peers. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭derb12

I am really enjoying this.

A stupid woman being hoisted directly by her stupidity and vanity.

It is so obvious that the ISPCA woman crossed the start line, probably ran as far as the canal, then looped back to a house on leeson St where she and Ms Davison shared a refreshing beverage before Rosanna touched up her make-up and headed back into the throng joining the runners for what would have been a completely believable and respectable "just over an hour" finish time. A cunning plan if only they had factored in that the chip crossed the start line 20 minutes in.

The suggestion that the ISPCA woman would have queued up for ages, crossed the start line, and THEN go back to somehow find the celeb in the moving masses or 40,000 women so she could hand her the number is plain ridiculous.

I really hope the press don't let this one go until she admits her cheating.

Advertisement