Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Mini Marathon 2012

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Its not what the organisers want.

Its a complete pain in the bum to get around.

Its way too congested.

You'd need marshals every 300m to stop people hurtling the barriers and then blocking the roads from the elite athletes. If that happened I'd say Livelines switchboard would collapse under the weight of the complaints
    "Honestly Joe, I've raised 4 euros and 53p for the local crippled leprachauns foundation, why shouldn't I take a shortcut... its desperate Joe, desperate" and the race would lose a huge chunk of its participants.
    It's not congested if you're in the top 100. They had a very clear run at the course. After that it just descends into chaos. Interestingly Amusingly, at the 9km mark, I saw a number of the faster female runners eating ice-creams on the run (but they had the decency to look a bit guilty). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

What I don't understand is why it isn't a vastly more competitive race? Why was only Linda Byrne contesting the win? It's a nice flat course, closed roads, great support, every junction marshalled. if I were a female, I'd be all over it. Is it because of the race's reputation as a fun-run, rather than a competitive race? Have the race organizers moved away from trying to pull in fast running talent?

Have to agree, and I will definitely be back next year, if you're lucky enough to be running in the top 100 it is not all congested, clear roads and excellent support.

I do think that the reputation the race has keeps a lot of competitive runners away but they're missing out on a really great race IMO.

I'll wait till I've crossed the line to have my ice-cream though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

It's not congested if you're in the top 100. They had a very clear run at the course. After that it just descends into chaos. Interestingly Amusingly, at the 9km mark, I saw a number of the faster female runners eating ice-creams on the run (but they had the decency to look a bit guilty). :)
    Give us names!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

I watched the start at Mount St. bridge and I thought it wasn't too bad for the first few hundred at least. It got very dense very quickly, but at least most were running at that point. There was a fair number of jokers who started early though, including one girl who jogged down the middle of the road waving to all and sundry :rolleyes:. But they wouldn't have affected the people behind I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

plodder wrote: »
    I watched the start at Mount St. bridge and I thought it wasn't too bad for the first few hundred at least. It got very dense very quickly, but at least most were running at that point. There was a fair number of jokers who started early though, including one girl who jogged down the middle of the road waving to all and sundry :rolleyes:. But they wouldn't have affected the people behind I reckon.

I'm a little concerned that that was me you saw;)
    I tend to get a bit too enthusiastic about the support from the sidelines, although I'm pretty sure I wasn't jogging at any point so with any luck it wasn't me:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm a little concerned that that was me you saw;)
    I tend to get a bit too enthusiastic about the support from the sidelines, although I'm pretty sure I wasn't jogging at any point so with any luck it wasn't me:)
    I hope not, as she started about two minutes ahead of the main field. There's been enough scandal for one year. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Rosanna was announced today as doing the run leg of Ironman Ireland for team Keith Duffy/Croí

Poor decision by croí?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

Rosanna was announced today as doing the run leg of Ironman Ireland for team Keith Duffy/Croí

Poor decision by croí?
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/07/04/meanwhile-in-stephens-green-3/#comment-216465

It's a half ironman distance but don't tell Keeeeith Duffy ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Poor decision by croí?
    Are you crazy? She took 8 minutes off her 10k time in a matter of weeks. By the time the race comes around, she'll be running 68 minutes for the half marathon, without breaking into a sweat. Wait... Is there a charity office near the finish line?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

She's just going to use doing this as a way of saying "See, I am capable of doing these physical challenges, all my detractors were wrong" when no one ever actually doubted that she COULD have run the 10k, just that she didn't bother. I'd nearly guarantee that there will be an article in the Sindo/Herald or something along those lines after this event supposedly vindicating her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Exactly, she's still been lying about the goings on over the 10km. Nobody is doubting that she is a relatively decent runner, but unless she does an equivalent of a 28'ish minute 10km run in this other event then there is no way on earth that she could have done what was claimed in the previous run.

Advertisement