Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Mini Marathon 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

zooming wrote: »
    This was my first 10k, I did it in 71 mins, it was an amazing day, but frustrating trying to pass the walkers! I was wondering how I was still meeting them up to 7k, so now i know they started well ahead of the time. Why?

Some people just don't see it as cheating and don't realise what bad etiquette it is and the effect it has on others (in terms of safety, running a race wtihout having to bunny hop around people for miles, wrecking someone's race who has trained for months beforehand).

The race organisers could make it clearer to people about race etiquette but I would suspect that they would worry about turning people off running, well walking, the race.

I mean there have been numerous comments about conversations that go like

<chattin to someone, running or marathons come up>
    HardyEustace - yeah I've done a few, and you?
    A N Other - yeah I just finished one last June.
    HE - how did it go for you?
    A N Other - yeah really good, great day out. Was delighted
    HE - How was training
    A N Other - oh grand didn't train that much
    HE (suspicion begins to creep in) - oh really, what time did you do it in?
    A N Other - oh 1 hour 23
    HE - oh right... well done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭plodder

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Liveline podcast is up here:

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_liveline.xml

That's two years in a row now- Last year some guy was on complaining that he didn't get a medal at the end.
    There's a letter in today's Metro Herald. A woman who was handing out the medals at the end, acknowledged the men who accepted with good grace that they weren't getting one (too many whiskers, as she put it), but one lad just took one anyway, held it up in the air so she couldn't get it back, saying "I'm entitled to it" ....
    Unbelievable. Why would you bother? .. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

drakefan wrote: »
    I have a suspicious story regarding Rosanna Davison's illeged participation in the mini marathon....
    I saw her coming out of a house on Leeson street and joining in the race at around 9km. Of course this in itself is not evidence enough as to her lack of running the previous 9km. However - then I tried to check what time she ran, and her name didn't appear in the finish list. There was a photo of her at the finish and I searched her number to find that the person with that number had run it in 43mins. This I found particularly bizarre since in a newspaper interview she said she ran it in just over an hour. The name associated with the number was Carmel Murray - who just happens to be the ISPCA public relations officer - the charity Rosanna ran for!!
    So delving into further detail I looked up Rosanna's time from 2011 which was 51.54 - making 43mins an almost Michelle Smith-esque improvement of 9 minutes. Also Rosanna posted a photo on twitter showing her `starting' way back in the joggers section. 43 minutes would basically be impossible from starting so far back with so many walkers etc. to dodge. So my surmise is this:
    Carmel Murray started the race in the joggers section but it took about 20mins for her to cross the start line. Her chip was not activated then till abut 3.20pm. She then left the race and ran over to leeson street and gave Rosanna her number. They planned that Rosanna would `finish' the race in about an hour. But they forgot about how long it took to cross the start line so Rosanna accidentally came in 20 mins early!! And suspiciously didn't even realise it!!

I call for a return of her mini marathon medal forthwith!! Anyone else able to corroborate this story??
    Wonder did the ISPCA pay her, as charities often do with "slebs"?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

footing wrote: »
    Wonder did the ISPCA pay her, as charities often do with "slebs"?
    I cant understand anyone who would
    A) cheat, you are only cheating yourself
    B) lie, letting down hundreds of women like me who have STRUGGLED to start running
    C) be so ignorant of others around them, smoking and hogging the whole road walking...not in the walkers section!
    Well i can honestly say I tried my best, tried not to knock anyone down and let faster runners go past me. I found at the 8k mark a load of half eaten ice lollies discarded on the middle of the road, an end to someones running if they had slipped on them! A little more thoughtfulness would go a long way, as runners we should take care of each other, we all are trying to cross that line!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

I have a suspicious story regarding Rosanna Davison's illeged participation in the mini marathon....
    I saw her coming out of a house on Leeson street and joining in the race at around 9km. Of course this in itself is not evidence enough as to her lack of running the previous 9km. However - then I tried to check what time she ran, and her name didn't appear in the finish list. There was a photo of her at the finish and I searched her number to find that the person with that number had run it in 43mins. This I found particularly bizarre since in a newspaper interview she said she ran it in just over an hour. The name associated with the number was Carmel Murray - who just happens to be the ISPCA public relations officer - the charity Rosanna ran for!!
    So delving into further detail I looked up Rosanna's time from 2011 which was 51.54 - making 43mins an almost Michelle Smith-esque improvement of 9 minutes. Also Rosanna posted a photo on twitter showing her `starting' way back in the joggers section. 43 minutes would basically be impossible from starting so far back with so many walkers etc. to dodge. So my surmise is this:
    Carmel Murray started the race in the joggers section but it took about 20mins for her to cross the start line. Her chip was not activated then till abut 3.20pm. She then left the race and ran over to leeson street and gave Rosanna her number. They planned that Rosanna would `finish' the race in about an hour. But they forgot about how long it took to cross the start line so Rosanna accidentally came in 20 mins early!! And suspiciously didn't even realise it!!

I call for a return of her mini marathon medal forthwith!! Anyone else able to corroborate this story??

Well i know who should get a medal for some fantastic investigative work ;) !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Your post had grown legs and ran right out of the confines of boards.ie, the ISPCA facebook account has a discussion and Broadsheet.ie has run with a story based on your post

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/06/06/theyre-calling-it-rosannagate/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

ThisRegard wrote: »

Your post had grown legs and ran right out of the confines of boards.ie, the ISPCA facebook account has a discussion and Broadsheet.ie has run with a story based on your post

Better attention for the ISPCA. Everybody wins!

grizzly wrote: »

Not really, if some people suspect they were involved in the alleged cheat they're not going to be as forthcoming with donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

grizzly wrote: »

Not really, if some people suspect they were involved in the alleged cheat they're not going to be as forthcoming with donations.

Oh yeah, I didn't consider that! Hopefully this won't affect donations.

Absolutely.

And I'd hate to think they're spending their money to pay the likes of her to appear for a photo shoot when she hasn't even done the race.

Cynical and rather sickening set of events.

• Advertisement

Ha ha, Liveline is discussing it now !

I saw this pic with her finishing, looks fresh, and checked the time of the girl to her right to see what finishing time she came in, 1:07. I can't make out the number of the girl to the other side though.

http://iwphotos.independent.ie/gallery/Women%27s_Mini_Marathon_/slideshow/Women%27s_Mini_Marathon_2012/09tngkb0BtdTs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Love the comments. Hilarious! I was at the 8km mark and didn't see her go past. Must check Emer_911's photos to see if she captured the 'illusive gazelle'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ha ha, Liveline is discussing it now !

I saw this pic with her finishing, looks fresh, and checked the time of the girl to her right to see what finishing time she came in, 1:07. I can't make out the number of the girl to the other side though.

http://iwphotos.independent.ie/gallery/Women%27s_Mini_Marathon_/slideshow/Women%27s_Mini_Marathon_2012/09tngkb0BtdTs

Nice one, and look at the difference in manner of the girl to the right in pink (looks like she ran 10kms, sweating, tired etc) and your wan in the middle (looks like she sat down while girl in pink was running 10kms):mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Does the event forbid swapping numbers in it due to health and safety like most other races? Anyone know that answer on here?

Liveline was funny to listen to, everyone was afraid to say anything bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

vicwatson wrote: »
    Nice one, and look at the difference in manner of the girl to the right in pink (looks like she ran 10kms, sweating, tired etc) and your wan in the middle (looks like she sat down while girl in pink was running 10kms):mad::mad:
    All the women around her finished in 1:07:xx. So sounds like she started close to the rear, and zipped through all the walkers, dodging left and right, and finished in an impressive 43:00 with perfect make-up, dodging all of the spectators and cameras dotted along the route. Impressive to say the least. Hats off to you Rosanna! That's some feat!

chinguetti wrote: »
    Does the event forbid swapping numbers in it due to health and safety like most other races? Anyone know that answer on here?

they all afraid of the great eye-brow? :D

Im Totally disgusted at this , disrespective to the people who sponsored her , the race organisers and the other people taking part . That number could have been given to someone else who would have actually done the race and even if they didnt it would be a dame sight better than cheating ! An Abuse of her celebrity status , a selfish act ! . What sort of example does this give to young girls who we are currently trying to encourage to take part in sport :( . I really hope she does not take part again !!!!

It does tie in with other discussions about positive role models, encouraging young women to take up / stay in sport.

Rather depressing that they think that the best way to be represented is to get someone who isn't even athletic and is basically famous for winning a beauty pagent, an achievement based on your appearance, when there are numerous women who have achieved great things both in sports and humanities.

chinguetti wrote: »

Back to the subject again, started by a caller who thinks running for times is disgusting.

CEO of ISPCA is on now, expect Joe to give him the easiest ride of his life and to completely ignore the fact that she was nowhere to be seen throughout the course until 'appearing' at 9k.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

I just checked her twitter and a picture was posted from her account in of part of the starting area at 2:40 something. (shes not in the pic though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Is it possible that she did run the race in 43 mins and then went into that place on Leeson street, got freshened up, make-up etc. and then went back out and ran from there to the finish line again for the photos? That would account for the time difference between when she appears to finish in the photos and the time recorded against her number.

I don't know, it just seems unlikely to me that someone who is a reasonably good runner and runs in other races would pretend to run this race.

Edit: although in saying that, it's strange that there is a photo of her in the joggers section which would have been very congested for the first few km ; would it be possbile to finish in 43 mins if you started there?

hollypink wrote: »
    Is it possible that she did run the race in 43 mins and then went into that place on Leeson street, got freshened up, make-up etc. and then went back out and ran from there to the finish line again for the photos? That would account for the time difference between when she appears to finish in the photos and the time recorded against her number.

The CEO of the ISPCA said the picture was taken before the race even started. Now he may have been talking about a different picture but he should have been familiar with all the issues surrounding this before going on national radio to defend her.

hollypink wrote: »

I don't know, it just seems unlikely to me that someone who is a reasonably good runner and runs in other races would pretend to run this race.
    punch her number into race pixs or marathon photos and see who comes up , then you will know !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kyrgyzstanley

Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    I just checked her twitter and a picture was posted from her account in of part of the starting area at 2:40 something. (shes not in the pic though).

Going off the numbers of the ladies either side of Rosanna here – http://iwphotos.independent.ie/gallery/Women%27s_Mini_Marathon_/slideshow/Women%27s_Mini_Marathon_2012/09tngkb0BtdTs – they both finished in an hour and seven minutes, as noted above.

Surely if you ran it in 43 minutes, you’d know you were well under the hour - there's a big timer at the finish line.

Notably, someone asked her on twitter if she completed it under the hour mark and was given a very vague answer -

@rosanna_davison Spotted you! Under an hour I think were you? Good work! #FWMM2012

@pehopkins Yes think so but still not sure! Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Just a quick question for you runners. My wife finished (just) inside the top 100 overall. She is over 40 and is mildly curious about where she finished within this age cohort. The Herald just published the top 3 over 40s, the last of which was in 23rd place overall. The website doesn't seem to facilitate searches by category etc as she has seen in other events - is she missing something?

Seres wrote: »
    punch her number into race pixs

Nothing in race pixs for that bib. Probably just a coincidence but you would think that her being who she is there'd be one of her.

Nothing in race pixs for that bib. Probably just a coincidence but you would think that her being who she is there'd be one of her.
    The chances of finding photos by race number are miniscule with 40,000 in it. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that.

I know, hence me caveating it with it being a coincidence. There's only about 300 photos according to race pix themselves, and typically the first one is of a man with a wig, that will go down well with certain members.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CS_Runner

I can tell 100% she did NOT run 43 minutes, I was at the finish line at watched every runner from Linda Byrne back to the ladies that finished 46 minutes and i did NOT see her...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

What an eejit, complete bandit aswell for trying to pull that sh1t. ISPCAs response was very dismissive and vague too. Rosana davidson needs to hold her hand up and admit that she tried to pull a fast one instead of trying to p1ss down everybodys back and telling them its raining.

Advertisement