Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Margaret Thatcher was she really that bad?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

I have to say I'm a fan. If I ever make it to the top I hope to be just like Baroness Thatcher. (I plan to keep my tackle as is like)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Biggins wrote: »
    Who do you suggest they should have followed instead? Was there anyone else in their union at the time that had the unity Scargil had?

What were they supposed to do? Follow Thatcher blindly like the sheep we have today that still follow FF and co, into utter devastation again and again?

Those struggling under the cow and her over-reactions (in order to pursue her own particular agenda), at a time of crises, reached out for any helping and supporting hand where it was available.
    There sure wasn't a helping hand coming from Thatcher!

What they should have done was accepted that a lot of the mines were unsustainable and adopted more efficient techniques and automation. Instead they responded by going on strike. And that was before thatcher got in to power.

They had already brought down one government and they thought they could do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

toexpress wrote: »
    I have to say I'm a fan. If I ever make it to the top I hope to be just like Baroness Thatcher. (I plan to keep my tackle as is like)

You'll actually have to become your tackle to rival Ms Thatcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Nodin wrote: »
    You'll actually have to become your tackle to rival Ms Thatcher.

Yes BARONESS Thatcher was a ballsy sort I suppose

Yes BARONESS Thatcher was a ballsy sort I suppose

....O - she's a Baroness? Like Baron Kinnock? Jaysus, she must have all the brains. What exam did she pass to get that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Morricone wrote: »
    Margaret Thatcher was she really that bad?

Eh, yes: most definitely yes. And worse. Is this the same Thatcher who declared to Suharto, "You are one of our very best and most valuable friends."? Her complete support for Suharto's Indonesian genocide against the East Timorese is one of her less known supports for large scale terrorism, otherwise known as genocide, while lecturing about the supposed evils of "terrorism" back in British-occupied Ireland.

As a human being this individual has few if any redeeming personal characteristics. As a political leader of a supposedly liberal democracy, it behoves the international community to bring her to justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Yes Ms. Thatcher was a ballsy sort I suppose

Past tense? She dead now?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

Margaret Thatcher on TV
    Shocked by the deaths that took place in Beijing
    It seems strange that she should be offended
    The same orders are given by her

LOVED her. She was exactly what a leader should be. What's wrong with being cold? She still did her job effectively.

Took hard decisions for the betterment of her country. Didn't join the euro, allowed council house tenants to buy their homes, deregulated financial markets (perceived to be okay at the time, caused the Global Financial Crisis -didn't see Labour stepping up regulation)

Sure weren't the steel factories, mines, etc. all operating inefficiently?

Although yes what a bitch for supporting Pinochet the racist SA regime.

To be honest I would love if Ireland had a unilateral leader like her. Someone who would implement ''shock therapy'' immediately after coming into office.

So cull state quangos, public service staff numbers and inefficient state companies.

Require all teachers to have masters degrees, fire under-performing teachers and public service staff, reintroduce tuition fees, get prisoners to do manual labour.

And end the benefits system for people who abuse it, reform the benefits system, end all religious affiliations with the state, marriage for everyone -gay or straight.

Wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

LOVED her. She was exactly what a leader should be. What's wrong with being cold? She still did her job effectively.

Took hard decisions for the betterment of her country. Didn't join the euro, allowed council house tenants to buy their homes, deregulated financial markets (perceived to be okay at the time, caused the Global Financial Crisis -didn't see Labour stepping up regulation)

Sure weren't the steel factories, mines, etc. all operating inefficiently?

Although yes what a bitch for supporting Pinochet the racist SA regime.

To be honest I would love if Ireland had a unilateral leader like her. Someone who would implement ''shock therapy'' immediately after coming into office.

So cull state quangos, public service staff numbers and inefficient state companies.

Require all teachers to have masters degrees, fire under-performing teachers and public service staff, reintroduce tuition fees, get prisoners to do manual labour.

And end the benefits system for people who abuse it, reform the benefits system, end all religious affiliations with the state, marriage for everyone -gay or straight.

Wishful thinking.

Dont you have a heart bro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

support for the martyrs was so big the IRA decided to keep it going and ended up killing more than Thatcher did.:rolleyes:

As a thought, we like to hear of how every event like bloody sunday, the hunger strikes etc created support for the IRA, do people not realise that every shopping centre bombed created the opposite in England?

if it wasn't for the IRA overshadowing the civil rights abuses in NI, catholics may have had their rights long before they did.

besides, since when were the IRA fighting for civil rights, they were fighting for a united Ireland, they simply used civil rights as a recruiting tool.

Most of the Civil Rights Associations aims had been enacted by about 73/74 by the British and it disbanded. The problem was, you can bring in all the laws you want but in a divided society they take years to get into peoples minds!

Also Unionist intransigence after Faulkner resigned didn't help, plus the emergence of Paisley. Things are never one sides fault in things like these.

Its a bit like the oft quoted "one mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter", well "just because a man is prepared to die for a cause, doesn't mean the cause is worthy".

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Hayek (Thatcher's guiding star) and Von Mises were right all along. Debate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What they should have done was accepted that a lot of the mines were unsustainable and adopted more efficient techniques and automation. Instead they responded by going on strike. And that was before thatcher got in to power.

They had already brought down one government and they thought they could do it again.

The workers on the lines weren't trying to bring any government down.
    They weren't there on the good days and bad days of rain and cold, to try a coup or similar.
    They were there to try salvage what they could from their industry.
    Something the cow wouldn't allow in even that! She didn't even allow any chance of adopted more efficient techniques and automation!
    She allowed nothing - BANG! - they were just gone with her! Wiped out.

If anyone or anything was that unstable that they were brought down, they shouldn't have been in power in the first place if they were that weak!
    That a previous government fell wasn't for the fault of future workers on protesting lines, it was the fault of a previous government that was so bloody useless that it allowed itself to be open at being pulled down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

LOVED her....Took hard decisions for the betterment of her country. Didn't join the euro

Em, given that the Euro did not come into being until 1 January 2002 and that Thatcher was evicted from power in 1990, that's not exactly an amazing achievement.

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Em, given that the Euro did not come into being until 1 January 2002 and that Thatcher was evicted from power in 1990, that's not exactly an amazing achievement.

Sorry I should have phrased that better.

I was referring to her opposition to the single currency which resulted in Britain not opting to join the euro-zone.

The idea for the euro was floating around when she was in power. Had she decided it was a good idea Britain may have adopted it.

Biggins wrote: »
    :D

Very true - but that didn't stop the poster from not even kopping on that while they were too busy trying to spin fiction into tried espoused fact! :pac:

I stand by what I said.

I was referring to her opposition to the single currency which resulted in Britain not opting to join the euro-zone.

The idea for the euro was floating around when she was in power. Had she decided it was a good idea Britain may have adopted it.

....her objections would hardly have been based on amazing foresight. More a case of a broken clock being right at least once a day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Nodin wrote: »
    ....her objections would hardly have been based on amazing foresight. More a case of a broken clock being right at least once a day.

Twice every day? ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Could be a 24-hour clock.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

+1. Its a pity that half baked idea of the euro was introduced of course. All the countries in Europe are paying the price today. From our own point of view of course, our banks borrowing abroad vast sums of money at cheap interest rates ( the germans kept them low to suit themselves ) during the tiger years was one of the main reasons for our property bubble.

Mrs T was right about that, just as she was proved right about almost everything else, from the PIRA to Gadaffi to the Easten Bloc ( cold war) to her opposition to the invasion of the military regime in Argentina (also responsible for the disappeared there).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

like the white elephant one we had at vast expense to the taxpayer in the liffey as a countdown to the millenium ( the clock at the dock)? She would not have allowed such waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

support for the martyrs was so big the IRA decided to keep it going and ended up killing more than Thatcher did.:rolleyes:

As a thought, we like to hear of how every event like bloody sunday, the hunger strikes etc created support for the IRA, do people not realise that every shopping centre bombed created the opposite in England?

if it wasn't for the IRA overshadowing the civil rights abuses in NI, catholics may have had their rights long before they did.

besides, since when were the IRA fighting for civil rights, they were fighting for a united Ireland, they simply used civil rights as a recruiting tool.

Do you think if the IRA did nothing the British government would of just gave catholics rights when they didn't have too. I think the old IRA were not the devil men they are made out to be and were just doing what they felt they had too for the future of their kids, but I think the current crop of lads just want to keep fighting and keep trouble going when there is nothing to fight for.

Thatcher was an evil b*tch and was very ruthless. Saying that though she did do good for the English economy but I have no time for the woman and would go so far to say that many people wont give a fcuk when she hits the bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Her son was a mercenary of sorts.
    So she bred what she was fighting against. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

i hope she gets cancer of the gee, an animal in every sense of the word
    out of order

true wrote: »
    +1. Its a pity that half baked idea of the euro was introduced of course. ...............there).

I find it rather an indictment of your supposed support of Mrs Thatcher that you have failed to deal with my rebuttals, but prefer to return here and 'flagwave' in a simplistic manner on a semi-regular basis.

The "Euro" per se is not the cause of the current crisis in Europe, I might add.

I've already dealt with your nonsense about the PIRA, Gadaffi and the fall of communism. When you figure out an answer for what I've already raised you can get back to me.

As regards the 'disappearances' - you realise that in that aspect the Argentinian regime was doing much as their neighbour Chile did, and that Thatcher supported the Pinochet Government there? Indeed 'disappearing' and killing people was not something that Mrs Thatcher had great problems with, given her attitude to Reagan's policies in Latin America and her own tack with Apartheid South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

Morricone wrote: »
    As per title was Maggie T as bad as what is made out.

Yeah she might have pissed off a few of the working class and the IRA and its followers but she did what she felt was best for Britain and she did lead Britain on a prosperous economic upturn with her policies.

As a whole I feel that the history books will reflect quite well on her tenure in the years to come. She did achieve a hell of a lot as she became one of the first women to become a national leader in the Western world. She did a lot for the advancement of women.

All in all I think she did her best for her country and surely in Ireland we can recognise and respect that attribute.
    So did Biffo. She was a cruel hooer and we all should hate her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

On this day...

1979 – Margaret Thatcher (pictured) became the first female Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, following the defeat of James Callaghan's incumbent Labour government in the previous day's general election.
    Margaret_Thatcher_cropped2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭wordsmithi

coal miners might not agree!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement