Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Margaret Thatcher was she really that bad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

K-9 wrote: »
    I'm just puzzled why you'd favour VAT over a direct payment to Government to fund the police eg.

VAT can be a discretionary payment and suffers in periods of recession etc. What's the problem with a direct tax payment?

I've already told you it disincentives work. Reagan favoured a flat 10% tax rate. I would also favour this if there was a need for it, i.e. we couldn't privatise enough, but that would be unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,718 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I was surprised to find that Margaret, if she had her time over, would not have gotten into politics. I suppose she needed to have a scathach like resolve to survive in a male dominated sphere. i kind of her admire her steel and determination in that regard, but definitely not her mean- spirited and nasty policies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

Biggins wrote: »
    I lived during her term in power, in some of the communities she utterly devastated.
    She set brother against brother, father against son, divided whole families, caused GREAT hardship in money terms and emotionally.
    The scars of her actions and decisions run deep still in a lot people, in a lot of areas in England still.

"Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope."
    Thatcher quotes from Saint Francis of Assisi.:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

"Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope."
    Thatcher quotes from Saint Francis of Assisi.:confused:

I think she was trying to be ironic?
    It sure ended up that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

BOHtox wrote: »
    I've already told you it disincentives work. Reagan favoured a flat 10% tax rate. I would also favour this if there was a need for it, i.e. we couldn't privatise enough, but that would be unlikely.

And VAT discentives spending. I really don't get this opposition, you favour some form of taxation, but somehow a direct contribution is worse than VAT.

With VAT Governments would have to factor in different criteria, recessions, luxury good etc. VAT is much more subject to economic factors.

A simple say 10% deduction from everybody as you said makes far more sense. Less Public servants, less admin, a Capitalists dream.

A local Government charge makes far more sense, but its a tad unpopular now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

K-9 wrote: »
    And VAT discentives spending. I really don't get this opposition, you favour some form of taxation, but somehow a direct contribution is worse than VAT.

With VAT Governments would have to factor in different criteria, recessions, luxury good etc. VAT is much more subject to economic factors.

A simple say 10% deduction from everybody as you said makes far more sense. Less Public servants, less admin, a Capitalists dream.

A local Government charge makes far more sense, but its a tad unpopular now.

VAT doesn't disencentive spending. People have to spend and love to spend. What else will they do with the wealth the accumulate?

I'm for a flat tax and I'm for a local government charge, in the form of a property tax, too.

BOHtox wrote: »
    VAT doesn't disencentive spending. People have to spend and love to spend. What else will they do with the wealth the accumulate?

I'm for a flat tax and I'm for a local government charge, in the form of a property tax, too.

This is mad ****e!
    I've already told you it disincentives work.

In response to:
    What's the problem with a direct tax payment?

Yet you are in favour of it.

So, basically what you said you were against yesterday and proposed VAT instead, you are for now.

You really should be a centrist, sell out pig, come over to the dark side! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

true wrote: »
    An uncle of mine points out that tens of thousands of Irish people emigrated every year to England in the eighties ....and most were glad to get good paying work there, which they could not get atr home in Ireland. She did win 3elections in a row. She was not beaten by the IRA, she was not beaten by the Russians ( she developed the special relationship with the US and won the cold war. It seems whoever she took on and beat...well, history proves she was right. Look at the regime in Argentina / thousands of disappeared there. She and the US took on (and bombed) Gadaffi in Libya - look at Gadaffis record there. So the millions of Irish living and working in the UK were at least on the winning and morally correct side under her leadership....and thats where they chose to be, rather than at home. If only we had a Thatcher who stood up to the unions and had regulated the banks in this country, we would not be in the mess we are in and getting handouts economically from the UK and overseas, just like in Thatchers day. One of the iconic leaders of the western world, and someone who saved Britain from the slippery slope it was on in the seventies ( IMF, massive union strikes, hugely inefficient manufacturing etc )
    words fail me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

words fail me
    thank you. You have to admire her steel and determination. Did you know she was thrifty and used to go around turning off lights in Checquers when she was there? And the swimming pool was only heated once?
    To think of our fella Bertie, who paid himself more than the President of the USAm, and who spent 25,000 a year of taxpayers money as an expense on his own make-up. What a joke of a little country this is, no wonder the UK is bailing us out now as it did in Mrs Thatchers time. You should be thankful for that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

thank you. You have to admire her steel and determination. Did you know she was thrifty and used to go around turning off lights in Checquers when she was there? And the swimming pool was only heated once?
    To think of our fella Bertie, who paid himself more than the President of the USAm, and who spent 25,000 a year of taxpayers money as an expense on his own make-up. What a joke of a little country this is, no wonder the UK is bailing us out now as it did in Mrs Thatchers time. You should be thankful for that alone.

No wonder she was prime minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

PM David Cameron praised her twice in his first big post election speech. Twice.

worth mentioning, methinks,for those out there who dont know who the Tories really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

And frankly, like many, one which could have been avoided had the Junta not decided to distract the population from them by having a short, glorious war.

NTM

Kindalike what the us do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭battle_hardend

not a nice person but how many global leaders are ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

thank you. You have to admire her steel and determination...........

No, you don't. Right wing demagoguery, homo-phobia and a neo-colonialist attitude to racism are rather inexcusable.

Nodin wrote: »
    No, you don't. Right wing demagoguery, homo-phobia and a neo-colonialist attitude to racism are rather inexcusable.

how was she particulary homophobic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,504 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I didn't read past the first post here. I didn't need to. The mildest way you can put it is that she just about kept her obvious contempt for the Irish under wraps when it suited her to meet them.

I didn't read past the first post here. I didn't need to. The mildest way you can put it is that she just about kept her obvious contempt for the Irish under wraps when it suited her to meet them.

the main difference between thatcher and many torys is that she didnt try to hide her contempt for the irish , the working class , non WASP,s , she was unappologetically arrogant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

how was she particulary homophobic ?

This....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_28

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I've always thought she was pretty brilliant actually. She really was one of a kind. I find there is a lot to admire about her, regardless of how unpopular she may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

A fucking old witch. Should be tried for war crimes (Belgrano), murder (Ulster), fraud (Mark's signature on the Middle Eastern hospital), arrogance (tea with the Queen and irritating her by speaking with a contrived accent), abandoning her children as she climbed the greasy pole (both kids are estranged, rarely see or call her and she has stated publicly that she would not go into Politics again if she had the choice because she had to spend all her time holding on to power instead of giving her children hugs etc).

But of course she could not have done this without being surrounded by a shower of sycophantic, brown nosers, con artists, the Anglican Church and a willing public.

Should have spent some of Denis' money and her own knowledge (Chemist) to try and lower her testosterone levels.

Cerberus will be wagging his tail when she's heading down there.

• Advertisement

Birth Name: Margaret Thatcher (nee Roberts)

Birthplace: Grantham in Lincolnshire, United Kingdom

Date of Birth: born 13 October 1925

Ethnicity: English and Irish

Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1979 to 1990.

Source: http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2009/03/21/story87338.asp

An extract from the above or underneath: British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher had an Irish grandmother from Kerry, but she was not apparently proud of it.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2009/0321/ireland/obama-earns-the-apostrophe-but-green-tie-was-for-chicago-full-stop-87338.html#ixzz1sguTtHSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Spread wrote: »
    Birth Name: Margaret Thatcher (nee Roberts)

Birthplace: Grantham in Lincolnshire, United Kingdom

Date of Birth: born 13 October 1925

Ethnicity: English and Irish

Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1979 to 1990.

Source: http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2009/03/21/story87338.asp

An extract from the above or underneath: British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher had an Irish grandmother from Kerry, but she was not apparently proud of it.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2009/0321/ireland/obama-earns-the-apostrophe-but-green-tie-was-for-chicago-full-stop-87338.html#ixzz1sguTtHSE

Interesting. She had Irish ancestry, yet loathed the Irish.
    She came from a working class background, yet she loathed working class people.

Sounds like she didn't like herself, or her identity, any better than most of the rest of us liked her.

Nasty woman!

Noreen1 wrote: »

Sounds like she didn't like herself, or her identity, any better than most of the rest of us liked her.

Nasty woman!

If you want a good laugh Noreen, read Sue Townsend's The Diary Of Hilda Margaret Roberts. It encapsulates all the little foibles and deluded dreams of an ruthlessly ambitious daddy's girl.

A fucking old witch. Should be tried for war crimes (Belgrano), murder (Ulster), fraud (Mark's signature on the Middle Eastern hospital), arrogance (tea with the Queen and irritating her by speaking with a contrived accent), abandoning her children as she climbed the greasy pole (both kids are estranged, rarely see or call her and she has stated publicly that she would not go into Politics again if she had the choice because she had to spend all her time holding on to power instead of giving her children hugs etc).

But of course she could not have done this without being surrounded by a shower of sycophantic, brown nosers, con artists, the Anglican Church and a willing public.

Should have spent some of Denis' money and her own knowledge (Chemist) to try and lower her testosterone levels.

she could be called a female churchill , she would have been perfect for an era when certain people and nations knew thier place and rule britania was the norm and the goal , i think her popularity stemed from her deliberate attempts to resurect the notion of empire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Wow, the self pitying on this thread is getting pretty heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

lol, this is really going into fantasy land now.

Hard nosed bitch yeah, war crimes, fraud etc, please, even by AH standards that is going ott.

A bit like the denizens of Fratton Park tonight as they savour next year in Div 1to compound their financial/ownership woes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Noreen1 wrote: »

Nasty woman!

I think it was a Kenmare connection, she's probably a relative of the Healy-Rae's.:pac:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think it was a Kenmare connection, she's probably a relative of the Healy-Rae's.:pac:

What have Maggie Thatcher, the Healy-Raes and your post got in common?

They're all
    beyond the Pale

Just made it up actually. But I can't stick to the day job as I'm retired :D

• Advertisement

Typical of the kind of comments from her supporters.

Advertisement