Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2012

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

COME ON KEN!!!

1 down 7 to go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Nice long red from Ken - first frame of the evening to the Dubliner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 locked

any online links for the snooker???

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

• Registered Users Posts: 44 locked

thanks

• Advertisement

Ken is hitting the balls pretty well isn't he?

Maybe he can win this frame and at the very least, force the mid-session interval.

What a great guy Ken is. Were you there in '97 Zack?

EDIT: made a mistake and stuck white on the cushion. Wouldn't like to see Robertson go to 9 already :(

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

8 - 4...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Maybe he can win this frame and at the very least, force the mid-session interval.

EDIT: made a mistake and stuck white on the cushion. Wouldn't like to see Robertson go to 9 already :(
    He's hanging in there, just about! I have to say, Ken must be one of the most exciting players to watch - even if he must be totally fed up with a frame he keeps going and manages to pull something out of nowhere, and his matches tend to have plenty of twists and turns. I'd be very surprised if he can keep Neil down for much longer, but Ken has played better than the scoreline indicates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Stuart Bingham is playing some great snooker today, he's taken the first 3 frames. He's back in this now.

1997 was incredible, it may be 15 years ago but it only seems like yesterday.
    Great 17 days and great memories.

• Advertisement

Some of Hendrys shots are miles off... Not the same player as yesterday.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Not looking good for Ken. :( Too many mistakes against a fantastic player unfortunately.

Ah well, there's always a spot in the commentary box for Ken!!! :D

Mark Allen's comments are bad form tbh. Even if he holds that view of the Chinese players, he should not blabber on about it in a press conference.

Aww that is a pity :(

10-4 doesn't reflect how he played I think.

Delighted to see Hendry winning. Hope he gets yesterdays form back for the next game . . .. Hendry v Higgins!

Eleven world titles between the two scots.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Aww that is a pity :(

10-4 doesn't reflect how he played I think.

Delighted to see Hendry winning. Hope he gets yesterdays form back for the next game . . .. Hendry v Higgins!

Eleven world titles between the two scots.

That'll be some match. I want Higgins to win but he'll obviously have to up his game v Hendry compared to how he played v Wenbo.

Well that's it for day two and the standard was equally as good as yesterday, three seeds Gould, Bingham and Allen have gone, Gould putting up a good performance today with two tons but the qualifier Dave Gilbert ran out a comfortable winner really in the end.
    Bingham really had too much to do and really lost the match yesterday, Hendry was'nt as good as in the first session but did enough to win 10-4. The less said about Allen the better but his opponent Cao Yupeng i hope gets the praise he deserves, to qualify for the Cruicble on your debut year on the tour and beat a seed is an incredible achievement.
    Neil Robertson ended Ken Doherty's hopes of run in the tournament and ran out a 10-4 winner, again Ken really lost the match yesterday and although he started off well tonight he really had too big a mountain to climb.
    Shaun Murphy holds a 5-4 lead over qualifier Jamie Jones and will really have to up his game to shake off the Welshman.
    Finally teenage qualifier Luca Brecel began the first of what i'm sure will be many appearances at the Cruicble and although he outscored Stephen Maguire he finds himself 6-3 down overnight. Too many unforced errors today cost him important frames and he'll have plenty to think about tonight, although his coach Chris Henry is one of the games big thinkers and i'm sure he'll have Brecel ready for the second session tomorrow.

I'm back to Dublin tomorrow but will be back in Sheffield on the 5th May for the final sessions of the semi's and the two days of the final.

PauloMN wrote: »
    That'll be some match. I want Higgins to win but he'll obviously have to up his game v Hendry compared to how he played v Wenbo.

I fancy Higgins to win that match myself, Hendry's biggest problem these days is consistency, and you can't help but feel yesterdays first session is as good as it will get for him. Amazing to think it's the first time they will have met each other in the world championships !!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What a dick mark Allen is. Terrible behaviour. Sure, the shot looked like a foul but he was well beaten. Whats the point in bringing it up. Then to say the table was at fault for the in off. What a tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Delighted Allen gone tbh. Backed Robertson and he's looking good so far.

Saw Jones in Galway recently very impressed by him. Think he can beat Murphy yet and hope he does. Gee after seeing him win so impressively in 2005 was certain Murphy would have at least 2 W/C's since!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Tomorrows games:

10am
    4* Stephen Maguire v Luca Brecel
    15 Matthew Stevens v Marco Fu

2.30pm
    5* Shaun Murphy v Jamie Jones
    10 Ronnie O'Sullivan v Peter Ebdon

7pm
    6 Stephen Lee v Andrew Higginson
    15* Matthew Stevens v Marco Fu

I hope Brecel brings the game to Maguire. Could be an interesting finish on that. I expect Marco to bring his A game against Stevens. He looked solid on his qualifying match but again I think it'll be close. My bet would be a 5-4 early lead for Marco.

Shaun really ought to win tomorrow afternoon but the way Jones was cueing today it might go down to the wire there. Ronnie vs Ebdon... not much to say there tbh. :o Ebdon needs to get the early frames down if he wants to stand a chance against Ronnie.

Stephen Lee has been on form after coming off the PTC Finals winner, Andrew Higginson has been crawling up the rankings this year with some impressive PTC matches. Will be interesting to see if he can stack up to the longer matches.

And then the finale of the Fu vs Stevens match. Looking forward to it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Daddio wrote: »
    There's been a championship's worth of drama in the first day and a half! Two seeds knocked out, with that number more than likely rising to three by end of play tonight.

Lumbered with Euro-sport. Sunday: their bitty coverage did not start until after 5pm.

By which time they had devoted 3 HOURS to the 'drama' of the discredited, disreputable

now non-event sport of professional cycling. Sunday was ruined.

And as for the listed programme at midnight - what i got instead was

flipping kick-boxing. Kick-in-the-teeth more to the point! Anyone else here

having to make do without the Beeb? Its painful i can tell you!!

Words to the wise - Allen needs to get his head sorted (not being mean), he's going out of shape. Change of lifestyle needed? Yes, get out of that

miserable Larne and pal up with someone like Joe Swail for practice. And finally, zip it. Or be a qualifier. The tour takes him to China 5 times he should have some 'cop.

Sad for Ken. Very tame exit. Feeling that is his last appearance in Sheffield.

• Advertisement

Lumbered with Euro-sport. Sunday: their bitty coverage did not start until after 5pm.

By which time they had devoted 3 HOURS to the 'drama' of the discredited, disreputable

now non-event sport of professional cycling. Sunday was ruined.

And as for the listed programme at midnight - what i got instead was

flipping kick-boxing. Kick-in-the-teeth more to the point! Anyone else here

having to make do without the Beeb? Its painful i can tell you!!

Words to the wise - Allen needs to get his head sorted (not being mean), he's going out of shape. Change of lifestyle needed? Yes, get out of that

miserable Larne and pal up with someone like Joe Swail for practice. And finally, zip it. Or be a qualifier. The tour takes him to China 5 times he should have some 'cop.

Sad for Ken. Very tame exit. Feeling that is his last appearance in Sheffield.

Can't really understand why eurosport do that, why promise so much coverage and then go ahead and show something else. I just think they commit too much to a lot of sports and just cant seem to find the hours to show it.
    From what i've heard nearly every club in Belgium is showing live coverage of the Maguire v Brecel match, i would'nt think the Belgians would be too impressed if that was replaced by something such as a ping pong event from Malaysia !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

I think Belgium can get the Beeb feed over there? Or maybe they have a public service broadcaster unlike..

Brecel's on eurosport now. I think he's made a new friend in Maguire ).

First frame to Brecel to make it three in a row and the match 6-4. Maguire is stil a strong favourite to win this match. Currently looking like going 7-4, Brecel was in but missed a straight forward pink off the spot. Against the top players you just can't be doing that.

Just as i type this Maguire misses a black off the spot.

One word ...... tension !!

WOW, Maguire is snookered behind the yellow and just gets downs and hits the cue ball into the reds off the cushion, he's really struggling here, Brecel must make more with these chances he's getting and put the pressure on Maguire, big big frame this.

zack01 wrote: »
    WOW, Maguire is snookered behind the yellow and just gets downs and hits the cue ball into the reds off the cushion, he's really struggling here, Brecel must make more with these chances he's getting and put the pressure on Maguire, big big frame this.

Well well Brecel misses a sitter again and hands Maguire a golden opportunity, he takes it and clears up with a ton. 8-4 Maguire and i feel it's all over now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

How wrong was I. Stevens thumping Fu

How wrong was I. Stevens thumping Fu

It's been scrappy but Stevens's long play has been exceptional.

zack01 wrote: »
    Well well Brecel misses a sitter again and hands Maguire a golden opportunity, he takes it and clears up with a ton. 8-4 Maguire and i feel it's all over now.

Maguire over the line at 10-5 and Brecel's inexperience really showed in this match. Brecel had chances in every frame this morning but this will stand to him and i'm sure we will see lots more of this wonderkid over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Stevens currently leading Fu 7-0, i don't think anyone saw that coming. Then again Stevens has had a decent enough season by his own recent standards. He does have a good cruicble pedigree though and some players do feel a lot more comfotable playing there.
    He could just turn out be a serious dark horse in these championships.

Advertisement