Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What an awful way to lose a match Mark :(

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

poetic justice for his comments about china????????

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

poetic justice for his comments about china????????

Was thinking that myself. The irony!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

What an awful way to lose a match Mark :(

Real bad luck. He was walking away thinking "I'm still in this" as the white made its way to the top corner pocket. His heart must have sunk.

Great start to the championship though between that, the 147 and Higgins getting through by the skin of his teeth!

Only day 2 but there has been some really edge-of-the-seat stuff so far. Now all we need a Doherty comeback, am I right? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

What a way to go out..

Mark Allen pot the black to go 9-7, only to turn around with arms in the air, while the cue ball went in the yellow pocket. Lost 10-6.

Was JV on the BBC? And did he shout "where is the cue ball going?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

PauloMN wrote: »
    Real bad luck. He was walking away thinking "I'm still in this" as the white made its way to the top corner pocket. His heart must have sunk.

Great start to the championship though between that, the 147 and Higgins getting through by the skin of his teeth!
    There's been a championship's worth of drama in the first day and a half! Two seeds knocked out, with that number more than likely rising to three by end of play tonight.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Only day 2 but there has been some really edge-of-the-seat stuff so far. Now all we need a Doherty comeback, am I right? :pac:

You're not wrong...;)

We all know he's capable of miracle comebacks - anyone remember the infamous semi-final against Paul Hunter? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Daddio wrote: »
    We all know he's capable of miracle comebacks - anyone remember the infamous semi-final against Paul Hunter? ;)

He must win 8 out of a possible ten frames tonight. Realistically speaking its impossible but the way this tournament has started it suddenly looks quite possible!

I don't really fancy commenting on Allen and from what I'm hearing his press conference is explosive.
    Will post here as soon as I get the details.

• Advertisement

zack01 wrote: »
    He must win 8 out of a possible ten frames tonight. Realistically speaking its impossible but the way this tournament has started it suddenly looks quite possible!

I don't really fancy commenting on Allen and from what I'm hearing his press conference is explosive.
    Will post here as soon as I get the details.

Looking forward to that. I was watching the Murphy game and missed the white going in. What is it with me this year...:(

There have just been some explosive comments from Mark Allen after his 10-6 defeat to Cao Yupeng, relating to Chinese players in general which are sure to ignite the snooker news feeds tomorrow. Below I will simply relate what he said.

When talking about the match he said “I got the worst run of the ball ever in two sessions of snooker. The white was nowhere near the pocket, it rolled off. On a normal table that ball would never have gone in, I was ready to go out and compose myself for the next frame when I turned round and saw it was going in”.

“I maybe underestimated him a little bit. I’m very disappointed, it turns a decent season into a mediocre one. It sets you back losing first round here and I didn’t see that defeat coming as I was playing well coming into this, both in matches and in practice. If ever a ranking position was false, that was one. He has a very bright future”.

However, it was the next set of comments that really surprised the congregated press pack “Paul Collier (the referee) missed a blatant push shot at 5-4 at a crucial stage of the match, Terry Griffiths convinced me later in the interval that it was a foul and at the time I looked at Paul and at Michaela who was scoring the match, Cao also looked at the referee but there was no foul called. Chinese players have been known for blatant cheating and they seem to get away with it. He’s too good to do it but they seem to just get away with it. It’s a sad state of snooker, the likes of Marco Fu and Liang Wenbo have been known for it in the past”.

It’s fair to say that Allen has left the championship with a customary bang. Cao for his part, denied all knowledge of the incident which apparently happened when he was on a break of eight in frame ten.

ridiculous statement to make,and to bring wenbo into it just smacks of sour grapes,he obviously didnt see wenbo calling a foul against himself in last nights final frame v higgins...a bitter bitter little man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

He's a petty petty little man, delighted Yupeng sent him home. No more than he deserves, has an awful lot of growing up to do. Would love to see Brecel win. I like Maguire, but I really enjoy Luca's style.

ridiculous statement to make,and to bring wenbo into it just smacks of sour grapes,he obviously didnt see wenbo calling a foul against himself in last nights final frame v higgins...a bitter bitter little man

Well said!

I'm all for players expressing their thoughts and being freely allowed to do so but this season he has already had a go at Hearn, and at China and it's people during the World Open. This time he has crossed a line that no player has ever done before, even the Hurricane during his pomp never accused a fellow professional of cheating. As bradolf pittler stated and I couldn't agree more he's a bitter bitter man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Can't stand Allen, delighted hes out. Could be in bigger trouble this time accusing people of cheating. The other players should sue him.

Here's a link to a recording of the press conference: http://soundcloud.com/moniquelimbos/markallenr1?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter&utm_content=http://soundcloud.com/moniquelimbos/markallenr1

His comments about Chinese players are fairly shocking actually - he certainly needs to think long and hard before he goes on making such excuses for his losses in future. Did anybody see the alleged push shot and care to comment on it?

It’s fair to say that Allen has left the championship with a customary bang. Cao for his part, denied all knowledge of the incident which apparently happened when he was on a break of eight in frame ten.

I remember that and the digusted face Allen had when nothing was called. There was a replay and it seemed like he did indeed push it. But going out with such remarks is a bit too far.

Also Allen said that Cao looked at the ref signalling that he may have fouled. Ref didn't say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Mark Allen is a great talent and someone who has the potential to win a World Championship which is the reason why I had a bet on him to win this Championship outright. However the man is definitely not in the best state of mental health IMO and that statement about Chinese players cheating is outrageous and he deserves a severe reprimand for that silly outburst.

It saddens me really because I think he has great potential but he'll turn himself into a hate figure if he keeps up these silly stupid statements against his fellow professionals.

Great start to the tournament and despite Allen's loss I'm looking forward to the rest of the tournament with great Interest. Come on Ken tonight,let's have a great comeback from you!

• Advertisement

Also Allen said that Cao looked at the ref signalling that he may have fouled. Ref didn't say anything.

If there was a foul, then he should have questioned it then, would he have brought it up if he had won 10-9.?

If there was a foul, then he should have questioned it then, would he have brought it up if he had won 10-9.?

I reckon he would have, he probably would've said that he should have won 10-8 instead of leaving it so tight at the end :pac:

I reckon he would have, he probably would've said that he should have won 10-8 instead of leaving it so tight at the end :pac:

The Chinese today are one of the games biggest investors, several ranking tournament sponsors are Chinese, the Star tables used at all ranking events are Chinese, next season there will be five ranking events in China. This year five Chinese players have qualified for the Cruicble, the chinese are here to stay. Now one of the games biggest names and a member of the elite top 16 goes and calls the Chinese players cheats!!
    I really hope he's punished for his remarks and hung out to dry, in my opinion he's a disgrace to the game, fellow boards.ie members will know what my feelings have been towards Allen for quite some time now and today really justifies what I've always said, simply put he's a disgrace to the game.

Even if he did foul the white there was no need to bring in Fu and Wenbo into it and just about paint all chinese players as cheaters.anyway a foul is not a foul until its called by the ref

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Even though I had a tenner on him to win the tournament, after those comments, I'm glad he's going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Shocked when I heard the comments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17808256

This isn't appearing on the bbc snooker page anymore but the page is still up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

No Im not at all a sore loser

I understand his frustration but blaming (among other things) the ref missing a push is a bit <northern> irish

COME ON KEN!!!

Ken's in the balls...:)

• Advertisement

7 - 3...;)

Advertisement