Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Households must pay for water meters.

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

tapping into the building next door as they say

I see what you did there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Lets face it, these water charges are being brought in as another source of revenue for the government to help bridge the deficit gap.

IMO, water meters is just another spending wastage. When we're already short on money and all. A flat rate would be better to stomach.

You think a flat rate would be better, well why would anyone bother make any effort to conserve water, like you are, or me?

If I am to be charged the same as people near me that regularily powerwash their car/drive etc among other things, why would we bother?

I dont really want to have to pay for water but it is one of the things I can see that has a more valid reason for a charge.
    A flat rate will only discourage people from not running the garden hose all day, I know what they will say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Merch wrote: »
    You think a flat rate would be better, well why would anyone bother make any effort to conserve water, like you are, or me?

If I am to be charged the same as people near me that regularily powerwash their car/drive etc among other things, why would we bother?

I dont really want to have to pay for water but it is one of the things I can see that has a more valid reason for a charge.
    A flat rate will only discourage people from not running the garden hose all day, I know what they will say.

They would still be making money on a resource that is still untaxed. More than they were, which was zero. A flat rate for all, but if you exceed x number of litres, you owe more.
    That would still allow a moderately liberal use of water, but still affect those who abuse it

They would still be making money on a resource that is still untaxed. More than they were, which was zero. A flat rate for all, but if you exceed x number of litres, you owe more.

Yes, but if you can store up as much water as possible and utilise that, being charged for actual usage promotes conserving water.

A flat rate with a set x amount of water included doesnt encourage anyone to conserve more water than the x amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

What's the story with houses that are already on a scheme and paying water charges?we pay about €150 water charges per year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I find it very difficult to understand what you are saying here. I mean if the government was to introduce a flat water tax that people are going to turn around & turn on their taps & leave water running in spite or whatever. That logic, reasoning & arguement is so fcuked up.

Ireland is broke & imo spending money outsourcing meters does not make financial sense.

I find it very difficult to understand what you are saying here. I mean if the government was to introduce a flat water tax that people are going to turn around & turn on their taps & leave water running in spite or whatever. That logic, reasoning & arguement is so fcuked up.

Ireland is broke & imo spending money outsourcing meters does not make financial sense.

What I am saying is some people, if they have to pay a flat rate will use as much as they need, they will not try to conserve water, will not bother to fix the leaking tap or the broken toilet cistern float that has been overflowing for months, will continue to powerwash their drive and car among other things.
    They will feel justified in using as much as they need/can, if they pay the flat rate.

One of my neighbours regularily hoses or powerwashes their drive and cars, its an almost weekly ritual, even in the winter, unless its literally freezing conditions.
    Often enough I can see a stream run down the roadside to the drain when no one is present, just leave the hose running.
    I'd hazard a guess that turning off the tap while brushing their teeth doesnt occur to them at all.

Im not suggesting its spite, (they already do it, and they will have no incentive to conserve water unless they are charged for every drop they use) Just because you have difficulty understanding it doesnt mean it doesnt happen.
    I cant comprehend it myself, but there you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

.......... if they have to pay a flat rate will use as much as they need, they will not try to conserve water, will not bother to fix the leaking tap or the broken toilet cistern float

Where are the guarantees from the provider that there'll be less waste in the system?

It's more than likely that this project will go tits up and the ''user'' (now customer) will be asked to pay for inefficiencies by the ''supplier'' (now vendor).

That's utter sh1te. I haven't taken a bath in years. Its showers with me. My family are the same. I also work for other families in their homes - its shower. Theres only 1 who takes a bath but thats because shes wheelchair bound and cant stand. What you're pretty much saying is that if the government introduces a flat rate, out of spite we'll all turn to baths. Or maybe we won't. We'll make do with our shower, & we'll turn on our bath taps without the plug in, for good measure.

A flat rate hasn't even been tired here. Its a stupid arguement.

Where do you live that your neighbours are out washing their car and driveways on a daily/weekly basis. Funny how I dont see my neighbours out doing the same or even remotely similiar.

That's utter sh1te. I haven't taken a bath in years. Its showers with me. My family are the same. I also work for other families in their homes - its shower. Theres only 1 who takes a bath but thats because shes wheelchair bound and cant stand. What you're pretty much saying is that if the government introduces a flat rate, out of spite we'll all turn to baths. Or maybe we won't. We'll make do with our shower, & we'll turn on our bath taps without the plug in, for good measure.

A flat rate hasn't even been tired here. Its a stupid arguement.

Where do you live that your neighbours are out washing their car and driveways on a daily/weekly basis. Funny how I dont see my neighbours out doing the same or even remotely similiar.

Im not talking about you or anyone that is already concerned about conserving water, Im not saying everyone will have baths instead of showers out of spite, so stop being so ridiculous and chill out.

I mean the people who already couldnt be arsed or are completley unaware of conserving water, they will continue as is.
    You or I or anyone that does monitor usage will pay the same in a flat rate scenario as someone that powerwashes their drive on a weekly basis.

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    Where are the guarantees from the provider that there'll be less waste in the system?

It's more than likely that this project will go tits up and the ''user'' (now customer) will be asked to pay for inefficiencies by the ''supplier'' (now vendor).

There are no guarantees about wastage, I believe that there was a mention of upgrading the water supply lines etc but who knows, but at least if we are charged on our usage rather than a flat rate,
    If it does go tits up, Id say we are assured to be told to pay up, again.

Im not talking about you or anyone that is already concerned about conserving water, Im not saying everyone will have baths instead of showers out of spite, so stop being so ridiculous and chill out.

I mean the people who already couldnt be arsed or are completley unaware of conserving water, they will continue as is.
    You or I or anyone that does monitor usage will pay the same in a flat rate scenario as someone that powerwashes their drive on a weekly basis.

If you have a problem with the way your neighbour uses water. You tell them.

I remember when I was about 12, an aunt came home from the uk. There was a heat wave and a water shortage and they were rules oppossed on them. Phones were picked up, and councils rang if anyone abused water for eg watering their lawn.

Is there something stopping you from picking up the phone and ratting on someone whos washing their car, or driveway every week 'hello, so and so at this address is washing their car every week and wasting water

If you have a problem with the way your neighbour uses water. You tell them.

I remember when I was about 12, an aunt came home from the uk. There was a heat wave and a water shortage and they were rules oppossed on them. Phones were picked up, and councils rang if anyone abused water for eg watering their lawn.

Is there something stopping you from picking up the phone and ratting on someone whos washing their car, or driveway every week 'hello, so and so at this address is washing their car every week and wasting water

I think you need to take a few baths or showers or whatever to wash the troll off you. That kind of water conservation just isnt necessary.

As far as Im aware its not illegal to overindulge in the use of water, you seem to think a SWAT team will turn up to sort the problem out, certainly not worth getting into an argument or ratting people out or whatever you call it. I just think its something they will think of if they are being charged. Its inevitable we all will, Im not overly happy about it, but its on the way. Flat rate means no incentive for them to change their ways, charge per usage will.
    Good day.

I think you need to take a few baths or showers or whatever to wash the troll off you. That kind of water conservation just isnt necessary.

As far as Im aware its not illegal to overindulge in the use of water, you seem to think a SWAT team will turn up to sort the problem out, certainly not worth getting into an argument or ratting people out or whatever you call it. I just think its something they will think of if they are being charged. Its inevitable we all will, Im not overly happy about it, but its on the way. Flat rate means no incentive for them to change their ways, charge per usage will.
    Good day.

But you are the one who has a problem with your neighbour washing his car & tarmac every weeking. And then lumping the rest of us & speculating that we're all wasting water in the same way. Or if I'm not wasting water, somebody else and my neighbours are and you dont know that.

But you are the one who has a problem with your neighbour washing his car & tarmac every weeking. And then lumping the rest of us & speculating that we're all wasting water in the same way. Or if I'm not wasting water, somebody else and my neighbours are and you dont know that.

Look, its clear you're a troll, so really I shouldnt reply but
    I never said I have a problem with it, you did, I think its not considering that its wasteful of water and plenty of people waste water in many ways, they wont stop unless they are charged per unit of it.
    I didnt lump anyone in with anyone else, I have already clearly written you seem to conserve water, too much probably.
    Good day means good bye,

Our governments decision to introduce water metering will have nothing to do with saving water. If they cared so much for saving water, they would have introduced measures to do just that, when they were last in government.They would have upgraded our pipes not touched in decades. When in opposion they would have pushed the government of the day for the same. Water metering & charges would have been in their manifestos for 2002 and 2007. Fact is they'll get more money out from metering than a flat rate.

Look, its clear you're a troll, so really I shouldnt reply but
    I never said I have a problem with it, you did, I think its not considering that its wasteful of water and plenty of people waste water in many ways, they wont stop unless they are charged per unit of it.
    I didnt lump anyone in with anyone else, I have already clearly written you seem to conserve water, too much probably.
    Good day means good bye,

Well clearly do have a problem considering you mentioned it and moaned about why should you pay a flat rate the same as someone like your neighbour who pisses it away every week washing their car and tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm with you Merch!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

I am currently paying metered water charges for farm / house supply. As I understand it, the domestic component has an allowance of approx 50,000 gals or 225 cub.m. to create "equality" with the domestic only consumers. Currently, some local authorities are billing quarterly through private contractors and dividing the annual allowance to a per day basis - (although their quarters vary from 75 to 115 days!!!)
    However, if there is an under-quota use say in one quarter during the year, I've been told it does not carry forward to next quarter, and in fact you could end up using under your 225 allowance for the year -say 175 cub.m. - and still end up paying for the 'excess' in that one quarter you were over!
    Surely, if one is entitled to to 225 per year as per Dept. of Environment data, the Local Authority can hardly manipulate the entitlement on a quarterly basis for their own financial gain.
    Have they they legal right to do so? Has anybody out there encountered this situation? I'm researching this at the moment but it's proving difficult to get information on it.

Advertisement