Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Households must pay for water meters.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Ghandee wrote: »
    So, then by this logic....

Surely to God, somewhere along the line (paye or elsewhere) we'll see a reduction in the tax that used to pay for it?

I'm dreaming, right?

You are correct. Long term, we should see a drop in taxes. Short term, tax revenues have fallen so we probably won't. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I agree with water charges - totally say bring it on,

BUT for EVERYONE - NO DOLE WAIVERS PLEASE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Chinasea wrote: »

according to a well known source, oxygen charges are to be brought in next year.

Will post link later .

Ghandee wrote: »
    according to a well known source, oxygen charges are to be brought in next year.

Will post link later .

That would be funny if they hadn't already done that by introducing carbon taxes. I'm against carbon taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Am Chile wrote: »
    I have gotten some info on these water meters off someone who has done the water meter installation course- first some people might be wondering exactly where these water meters are gonna be installed-have a look in your driveway or outside on the footpath just outside your gate-look for the watershore as shown in the picture in the attachment-that's where the water meters are set to be installed-luckily for me the water shore is inside the middle of my driveway so therefore they will have to get access to my private property to be able to install the water meter which I certainly refuse access-second they won't turn off someones water off completely' what they will do however is fix the pressure with the water meter so all someone is left with is a few drips of water out of the tap-third how they plan to read the water meters to read the water useage there will be a GPS signal on the water meter-a water meter inspector will just need a device to read the GPS signal to read the water meter useage- last the good news I have being told by this person water meters are not by any means tamper proof there will be ways to tamper with them to make the water meter underrecord the amount of water used-and ways to interfere with GPS signal on the water meter all someone needs is a GPS signal jammer to interfere with the signal and block it on the water meter.

There's no chance that these meters will have GPS functionality. While it's true that some non-navigation devices have GPS functionality with regards to timekeeping, I don't see why that would be necessary in this case. GPS modules (generally) consume a LOT of power, and since these meters will be battery powered there is next to no possibility that they will be included. It is of course likely that these meters will have some wireless transceiver built in, and while it is possible to jam the signal, that would be VERY illegal and VERY detectable.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    General taxation pays its cost, however General taxation is all being used to repay the debts of the Fianna Fail scumbag traitors along with their developer and banker cronies who bankrupted the country. I am not paying water charges because I will not pay the debts of Fianna Fail.

The responsibility ultimately lies with the people, because it is us who voted them into office. I did not personally vote for Fianna Fail, but most did.

If it had been a dictatorship, you'd be right. But we live in a democracy, for better and for worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

ridiculous.how can people on the dole afford this extortionate charge?i agree there should be water charges,as it is a service we should pay for,as it goes through many water purification processes,the household charge is a different story and it unjust completely,since the charge has been paid the councils havent fixed the road or pathways or anything really.

council jobs are handy for one thing - standing on their ****ing heads,and you know what they still wouldnt get fired - their cushy numbers.

ridiculous.how can people on the dole afford this extortionate charge?

Providing water is a real cost. And the dole is ridiculously high in this country, even to the extent where many people are better off on it. I think people who complain about the water charge have no idea what it costs to provide the service.

If you're against it, no one is making you pay. You can drill your own well in most cases (excluding apartments, etc). I have, but it's actually more expensive to do that. Water may fall from the sky for free, but the infrastructure itself is not free and requires continuos maintenance so it hasn't been "paid for already" as some assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭flutered

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    Providing water is a real cost. And the dole is ridiculously high in this country, even to the extent where many people are better off on it. I think people who complain about the water charge have no idea what it costs to provide the service.

If you're against it, no one is making you pay. You can drill your own well in most cases (excluding apartments, etc). I have, but it's actually more expensive to do that. Water may fall from the sky for free, but the infrastructure itself is not free and requires continuos maintenance so it hasn't been "paid for already" as some assume.

i have a small bit of bad news for you, everyone has to to pay water taxes, including people who have their own supply, ie wells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

flutered wrote: »
    i have a small bit of bad news for you, everyone has to to pay water taxes, including people who have their own supply, ie wells.
    News for you no they dont, only those availing of the publicly provided water system will pay the water charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 silverbullet75

They can dream on!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I'm living out in the ''shticks'' and on a group water scheme. The scheme was upgraded about 5-6 years ago now (new pipes, new pump house, new filtering process etc etc) and water meters were installed way back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

I'm on a private group scheme. The mains passes through my farm and the deal back then was that I get free water in exchange for an easement for the group over the property. I wonder how this will play out with the new semi-state?

I'm on a private group scheme. The mains passes through my farm and the deal back then was that I get free water in exchange for an easement for the group over the property. I wonder how this will play out with the new semi-state?

It may be a stupid question, but where do they source their water?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Friends near me are on a group scheme and draw it from a well in the middle a field.
    The landowner runs the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

flutered wrote: »

Why??
    :confused:
    So, if anyone puts a bucket under a leaking roof, are we going to be taxed for any 'supply' of water that falls into it?:pac::pac:

dolanbaker wrote: »
    Friends near me are on a group scheme and draw it from a well in the middle a field.
    The landowner runs the scheme.
    If that's the case then you won't be metered, it's only people who source from the local authority will be metered. People saying private wells will be publicly metered are most likely either misinformed or scaremongering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nippledragon

In fairness if we were to meter the shíte that comes out of the governments mouths and tax them on it we'd be out of austerity pretty pronto.

:D fixed...

It's two large parishes-the lake is in the north of the parish and one main goes across my land to a reservoir on the adjoining farm. As far as I know there are no more than 5 landowners who have this deal. 1/2 a mile of mains crosses my land.

It's two large parishes-the lake is in the north of the parish and one main goes across my land to a reservoir on the adjoining farm. As far as I know there are no more than 5 landowners who have this deal. 1/2 a mile of mains crosses my land.

Are the local council involved at any point?

• Advertisement

No. Meters were installed 4 years back but we informed them of the agreement, refused to pay and gave the option of the scheme removing its pipes from the land, reinstating it, and reimbursing for losses sustained from leaking pipes and unused land.

No. Meters were installed 4 years back but we informed them of the agreement, refused to pay and gave the option of the scheme removing its pipes from the land, reinstating it, and reimbursing for losses sustained from leaking pipes and unused land.

Who was doing the metering?

Group scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

I would be prepared to pay for water if it was just that i.e H2o, not the poisonous fluoridated undrinkable piss that is supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

hju6 wrote: »
    I would be prepared to pay for water if it was just that i.e H2o, not the poisonous fluoridated undrinkable piss that is supplied.

The tap water in Ireland in general is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

dirtyden wrote: »

Fine for what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

dirtyden wrote: »

In general? In terms of what? Flow rate? I need a filter jug to run mine through, no hope of anyone supplying me with filters only me and my own pocket as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I don't give a rat's arse about paying for it as long as I get a) clean drinkable water b) good pressure. The water pressure in our area is brutal, I could actually piss faster than the water coming in from the mains at times. I had to get a pump fitted last month to fill the tank each night after the house was dry for 10 whole days. The whole road I live on is supplied by one lead pipe that was laid 100 years ago (and is gushing with leaks), we have no stopcocks, and my water is brown from God knows what.

The sooner this new water body is in place and starts doing something about the situation (because DCC certainly see any upgrades as a waste of money at this stage), the happier I will be!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I don't give a rat's arse about paying for it as long as I get a) clean drinkable water b) good pressure. The water pressure in our area is brutal, I could actually piss faster than the water coming in from the mains at times. I had to get a pump fitted last month to fill the tank each night after the house was dry for 10 whole days. The whole road I live on is supplied by one lead pipe that was laid 100 years ago (and is gushing with leaks), we have no stopcocks, and my water is brown from God knows what.

The sooner this new water body is in place and starts doing something about the situation (because DCC certainly see any upgrades as a waste of money at this stage), the happier I will be!!!

The planned water body is only a step in the process of privatising Irelands water supplies/water services-(Step 1) create a new water company, (Step 2) transfer all water services to the new water company- (Step 3) make the new company as profitable as possible- (Step 4) once Irish water is profitable sell off Irish Water as part of the sale of state assets and privatise all water supplies/water services-I know some people might say ah sure none of the above will ever happen-I say to people check out the IMFs record on insisting on water privatization in countries they go into.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=906163

http://multinationalmonitor.org/mm2001/01september/sep01corp2.html

http://www.newint.org/blog/majority/2011/06/20/africa-water-privatization/

The
    European Commission admitted to promoting water privatisation in countries like
    Greece and Portugal that use the bailout plan, as a condition to continue
    receiving the aid
    funds.
    Civil society groups have written to commissioner Olli Rehn to demand the
    cessation of pressure regarding water privatisation.

http://www.neurope.eu/article/commission-favor-water-privatization-countries-receiving-bailout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Am Chile wrote: »
    The planned water body is only a step in the process of privatising Irelands water supplies/water services-(Step 1) create a new water company, (Step 2) transfer all water services to the new water company- (Step 3) make the new company as profitable as possible- (Step 4) once Irish water is profitable sell off Irish Water as part of the sale of state assets and privatise all water supplies/water services-I know some people might say ah sure none of the above will ever happen-I say to people check out the IMFs record on insisting on water privatization in countries they go into.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=906163

http://multinationalmonitor.org/mm2001/01september/sep01corp2.html

http://www.newint.org/blog/majority/2011/06/20/africa-water-privatization/

http://www.neurope.eu/article/commission-favor-water-privatization-countries-receiving-bailout[/QUOTE]

So? The current water supply system is an absolute joke in some areas. If it requires privitisation in order to get the service up to scratch I have no problem with that. In order to put a water meter on my house someone will have to put in a new (properly functioning) main, and a stop cock to my house. And my current local authority won't do that, so I will be happy to see someone come along who will.

Advertisement