Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Households must pay for water meters.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Biggins wrote: »
    Well doing something which they are doing quietly or not doing at all in other cases, sure is not helping - meanwhile instead, the public one way or another is hit with another bill to pay for their next latest mess it seems!
    The mess we are paying for is the one that arose when we found ourselves a few years back with a budget of €30 billion and spendings of €50 billion. The various boobs any government inevitably makes will only add buttons to this mammoth deficit.

Any government that came to power in 2011, however competent, ethical or honest they might have been, would have to deal with this inherited mess. And that would and does mean a lot of pain for the people, even if some would like to attribute the need for harsh medicine to various shortcomings in out current political leaders.

Which takes me nicely back to my original point. Part of the reason why such harsh measures are now needed is because a sizable chunk of the 50 billion spend we had amassed came directly or indirectly from construction. Had we a more sustainable tax structure in place at the time we would be in a less deep hole now. Which is why some of us see the merit in broadening our tax base with the likes of the current charges being considered.

Can you sketch the basic outline of a solution to the current crisis that would be any less painful than the one being pursued by the current government (and I think would have to be pursued by any credible government)?

xflyer wrote: »
    I won't be paying for the water meter, not a political stance. Once was actually fitted in my house some time ago, Drat:mad:. Already paid for it!
    Same here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If you look outside in your driveway or by the footpath, this is where they are planning on installing the water meters...Make sure your car is parked over it at all times.

Typical Facebook protester here, yeah I'll jsut make sure my car is parked over that thing at all times, never mind going to work, or get food or anything like that, I'll just leave the car over that for the next three years...

Typical Facebook protester here, yeah I'll jsut make sure my car is parked over that thing at all times, never mind going to work, or get food or anything like that, I'll just leave the car over that for the next three years...
    A few strong contractors would "bump" the car out of the way in minutes, failing that you'd be charged with obstruction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

lugha wrote: »
    The mess we are paying for is the one that arose when we found ourselves a few years back with a budget of €30 billion and spendings of €50 billion. The various boobs any government inevitably makes will only add buttons to this mammoth deficit.

Any government that came to power in 2011, however competent, ethical or honest they might have been, would have to deal with this inherited mess. And that would and does mean a lot of pain for the people, even if some would like to attribute the need for harsh medicine to various shortcomings in out current political leaders.

Which takes me nicely back to my original point. Part of the reason why such harsh measures are now needed is because a sizable chunk of the 50 billion spend we had amassed came directly or indirectly from construction. Had we a more sustainable tax structure in place at the time we would be in a less deep hole now. Which is why some of us see the merit in broadening our tax base with the likes of the current charges being considered.

Can you sketch the basic outline of a solution to the current crisis that would be any less painful than the one being pursued by the current government (and I think would have to be pursued by any credible government)?

I don't see anything wrong is widening our tax-base - IF possible in certain areas - but some in constant picked on areas (ie: the homeowner) have reached (and gone beyond) saturation point in regards ability to pay.
    The present lot in power in their rush to grab as much cash as they can, be it for our own debts and/or stuffing it stupidly yet again into bondholder bank accounts yet again to gather dust, is now blind to the damage they are doing to the economy at further public, on the street level.
    Quite simply, I see more and more shops still closing and failing on my nearest town main streets because as much as a good business might come along and is needed there, the public now more so do not have the spare cash to even facilitate it.
    Every bit of spare cash has been drained dry.

You keep asking for solutions. I'm looking for them too (I do however like some of the ones outlines by IDP.ie if you wish further detail).
    I do see however with the few braincells I do have, that draining the life out of the public till they cannot move, draining every bank account and pocket of hard working citizen in the country, is definitely doing no good.
    here's an idea - how about instead of taking money from the pockets of those that barely have it (if they are still that lucky), how about FG and Labour look for ways to get it back into their pockets? After all, isn't that what they are supposed to be doing?
    ...And not robbing everyone that has a bloody pulse, in any which way they can - in some cases, repeatedly for the same damn thing, over and over again!

This is not rocket science - its common sense - but it seems yet again to be lacking in our latest shower of two-faced thugs in power.
    They are either frankly still too busy lining their own pockets yet again, looking after their friends and mates or/and busy breaking the rules they wish the rest of Ireland to adhere to. They are too busy still doing the above, distracted to actually do things actually right - and we (in too much complacency by some frankly) are paying the price - LITERALLY!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 hugebogtotter

Having regretfully accepted these charges are coming in I decided to buy a water butt and whilst browsing the web I came across a pretty useful article.
    A lot of it is common sense but worth a read all the same. http://purchase.ie/advice/countering-water-meters-ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Shills making money out of others misfortune...................... sickening.
    Having regretfully accepted these charges are coming in I decided to buy a water butt and whilst browsing the web I came across a pretty useful article.
    A lot of it is common sense but worth a read all the same. http://pur*****e.ie
    A 10 step guide to installing a water butt.
    http://pur*****e.ie
    I got the balloon and the inflation tube from http://pur*****e.ie for less than €24 delivered to the door. I rang them and they took the order over the phone. The chap on the phone said if you are doing it online to use a code cb15 to get that price.
    Im glad I called them now cause I saw them in a Hardware Shop for €30 and they had no inflation tube. Without the tube there is no way I could have got it in the chimney flue.

mikom wrote: »
    Shills making money out of others misfortune...................... sickening.

Big wow I bought a product off this company once and refer back to the same website now and again.

I was hungry this morning and went to Tesco for bread. Sickening that the are making money about the misfortune that I was hungry.

Big wow I bought a product off this company once and refer back to the same website now and again.

I was hungry this morning and went to Tesco for bread. Sickening that the are making money about the misfortune that I was hungry.

Tell that to a dead ass and he'd kick ya........

Tell that to a dead ass and he'd kick ya........

Won't waste my time with one so wise! You know it all obviously:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Won't waste my time with one so wise! You know it all obviously:rolleyes::rolleyes:

See you round Colm.

Oh, one more..........

Win Two Nights B&B stay at Glenribbeen Eco Lodge in Waterford Plus Archery Lesson
    http://pur*****e.ie/competitions/irelands-1-eco-mum/

You sure love that website.............

See you round Colm.

Oh, one more..........

You sure love that website.............

Why thank you Magnum but my name is Stephen.
    I guess I do love that site more than I thought!
    To summarise
    I shared information in relevant threads on 1 product, 1 competition, 1 blog with water saving tips and 1 blog on how to install a water butt.
    I'm sure I will end up in hell some day.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,659 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Main headline on today's The Sunday Times. Link to story here.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/householders-must-pay-for-water-meter-installation-547549.html?m=false

So not only will you be responsible as a householder to pay for your water but also for the expensive installation of a water meter. Yet again your local authority has let you down through bad planning and development.

Again ask yourself where did all the money go, the millions paid in levies. Why weren't developers forced during planning and construction process to provide meters.

Estimates from government is that it will cost €300-€350 but experts which thr government have none say it will be closer to €500-€600.

Last week the Sunday Times made up a story about householders having to pay a lump sum for water meters mentioning sums of €300 to €600. I just read the story again and there is absolutely no mention of the possibilty that this would be spread over a number of years as a standing charge.

This week their main story is how Labour backbenchers are outraged at this "communications fiasco" on behalf of Phil Hogan.

In my view the only fiasco here is on the part of the Sunday Times and their shockingly poor journalism.

Why thank you Magnum but my name is Stephen.
    I guess I do love that site more than I thought!
    To summarise
    I shared information in relevant threads on 1 product, 1 competition, 1 blog with water saving tips and 1 blog on how to install a water butt.
    I'm sure I will end up in hell some day.:eek:

You may end up somewhere else a lot sooner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Although its a British related site, if you want a good site to try save money with the upcoming new charges, there is many a good idea on this sites pages:

http://www.savewatersavemoney.co.uk/

http://www.savewatersavemoney.co.uk/tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There is a far more sinister move behind pushing in these new high tech electronic household water meters.

The system will know exactly if someone is present in the house from water flow trickling through the "smart" electronic RF gate valve which can be remotely controlled and read.

Households can have their water supply remotely terminated if they disobey.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/9219349/Smart-water-meters-to-be-installed-in-UK-homes.html

http://www.stopsmartmetersnow.com/?page_id=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tom Cruise

Stronghold 3 is what they are playing.Torturing peasents.
    We dont have a strong army so if we ever did a arab spring over here in Ireland they would all get the **** kicked out of their over paid ass.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/02/water_vs_energy_analysis/

Desalination of sea water would cost £22 per person per year for London.
    Capital cost £500 per person

metering is more expensive than alternative methods of water supply.

This works out at 1KWhr per person per day, desalination could act as a way to "store" renewable power. You just desalt sea water when you have spare energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I have gotten some info on these water meters off someone who has done the water meter installation course- first some people might be wondering exactly where these water meters are gonna be installed-have a look in your driveway or outside on the footpath just outside your gate-look for the watershore as shown in the picture in the attachment-that's where the water meters are set to be installed-luckily for me the water shore is inside the middle of my driveway so therefore they will have to get access to my private property to be able to install the water meter which I certainly refuse access-second they won't turn off someones water off completely' what they will do however is fix the pressure with the water meter so all someone is left with is a few drips of water out of the tap-third how they plan to read the water meters to read the water useage there will be a GPS signal on the water meter-a water meter inspector will just need a device to read the GPS signal to read the water meter useage- last the good news I have being told by this person water meters are not by any means tamper proof there will be ways to tamper with them to make the water meter underrecord the amount of water used-and ways to interfere with GPS signal on the water meter all someone needs is a GPS signal jammer to interfere with the signal and block it on the water meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Am Chile wrote: »
    I have gotten some info on these water meters off someone who has done the water meter installation course- first some people might be wondering exactly where these water meters are gonna be installed-have a look in your driveway or outside on the footpath just outside your gate-look for the watershore as shown in the picture in the attachment-that's where the water meters are set to be installed-luckily for me the water shore is inside the middle of my driveway so therefore they will have to get access to my private property to be able to install the water meter which I certainly refuse access-second they won't turn off someones water off completely' what they will do however is fix the pressure with the water meter so all someone is left with is a few drips of water out of the tap-third how they plan to read the water meters to read the water useage there will be a GPS signal on the water meter-a water meter inspector will just need a device to read the GPS signal to read the water meter useage- last the good news I have being told by this person water meters are not by any means tamper proof there will be ways to tamper with them to make the water meter underrecord the amount of water used-and ways to interfere with GPS signal on the water meter all someone needs is a GPS signal jammer to interfere with the signal and block it on the water meter.

Water is not free, what makes you expect it for free? If you had to drill your own well, you would be paying more. It could be argued that we have plenty of water and there should be a fixed fee instead of water meters, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    Water is not free, what makes you expect it for free? If you had to drill your own well, you would be paying more.

How was it paid for up to now?

After reading some more, I am definitely against water meters, especially of the "smart" variety. I think instead there should be a flat yearly fee for water to cover its cost, that's it, nothing more. We're not Italy where it's dry and they don't have enough water. This is Ireland, we have enough water, but obviously it costs money to filter and deliver it, so a flat monthly fee (without any smart meters) should do that.

Who's with me?

Ghandee wrote: »
    How was it paid for up to now?

Taxes subsidised by everyone who didn't have so-called "free water".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Water is not free, what makes you expect it for free? If you had to drill your own well, you would be paying more. It could be argued that we have plenty of water and there should be a fixed fee instead of water meters, though.

Water is already paid for through general taxation.

Taxes subsidised by everyone who didn't have so-called "free water".

So, then by this logic....

Surely to God, somewhere along the line (paye or elsewhere) we'll see a reduction in the tax that used to pay for it?

I'm dreaming, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Am Chile wrote: »
    Water is already paid for through general taxation.
    Water is an ongoing cost. It is not 'already paid for'.

Surely to God, somewhere along the line (paye or elsewhere) we'll see a reduction in the tax that used to pay for it?
    There has been a dramatic reduction in the amount of tax the exchequer has been taking in in recent years.
    I'm dreaming, right?
    No - but you may have been asleep.

dvpower wrote: »
    There has been a dramatic reduction in the amount of tax the exchequer has been taking in in recent years.

No - but you may have been asleep.

May have been.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

dvpower wrote: »
    Water is an ongoing cost. It is not 'already paid for'.

General taxation pays its cost, however General taxation is all being used to repay the debts of the Fianna Fail scumbag traitors along with their developer and banker cronies who bankrupted the country. I am not paying water charges because I will not pay the debts of Fianna Fail.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    General taxation pays its cost, however General taxation is all being used to repay the debts of the Fianna Fail scumbag traitors along with their developer and banker cronies who bankrupted the country. I am not paying water charges because I will not pay the debts of Fianna Fail.
    ... which is an interesting cartoon.

Advertisement