Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Tricolour at Stormont

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

junder wrote: »
    What's holy water got to do with rugby?

Never mind.

Oh I get what your saying, just not biting. Ironic that your Bringing religion into the argument in an attempt to insinuate that I am being sectarian and yet I have never mentioned religion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Good for you, my bad for not realising thst support for the Irish rugby is mandatory
    No harm done. Once you quit the whole July shennanigans you could turn out a dead on guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Good for you, my bad for not realising thst support for the Irish rugby is mandatory
    Never said it was. Many people north and south have no interest in sport, however they usually don't feel the need to make a thinly veiled attack on those who do choose to participate on a cross-border team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

What's holy water got to do with rugby?
    It is trolling. Try to ignore it Junder. Such baiting posts like that are common amongst some posters. This thread has been ruined by people trying to slam Unionism. It is incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

Rugby is a great example of the majority on the island holding out the hand of friendship to the unionist minority - but there is a hardcore minority of that minority who despise anything that would even hint at co-operation between North & South. There are a couple of prominent posters on this thread who fall into this minority of a minority..

Appeasement such as using a neutral "anthem" to reflect the all-island nature of the team is essentially poo-pooed to the extent that this narrow minded minority would rather cheer on France when playing the Ireland team.... This has nothing to do with sport and everything to do with narrow minded bigotry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

KeithAFC wrote: »
    It is trolling. Try to ignore it Junder. Such baiting posts like that are common amongst some posters. This thread has been ruined by people trying to slam Unionism. It is incredible.

We're not all like that, mate. I'm Irish but I never bought into all that nationalist, patriotic claptrap. As if it would make one bit of difference to our daily lives if this country was ruled by Britain tomorrow. There are no significant differences between our two cultures. Like I said above, today's Irish culture is completely artificial and was invented in the 1800s.

Actually many free thinking posters around here would agree that we'd be better off as part of the UK - lower taxes, far lower national debt, no tax money being wasted propping up a dead language, more liberal laws allowing abortion rather than morality being dictated by outdated foreign influences in the Vatican etc etc. The fact that there are Irish people spread across the globe, from North America to Australia to Asia and especially the UK, is testament to Ireland's dismal failure as a nation since its unfortunate inception.

PS I find the 12th of July parades infinitely more enjoyable and family friendly than the drunken debauchery and violence of St Patricks Day. What idiot decided to have our national holiday in March when it's cold and raining and dark? I wish the Unionists up North the best of luck my friend. You are a strong people that have persevered despite centuries if persecution and terrorism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

We're not all like that, mate. I'm Irish but I never bought into all that nationalist, patriotic claptrap. As if it would make one bit of difference to our daily lives if this country was ruled by Britain tomorrow. There are no significant differences between our two cultures. Like I said above, today's Irish culture is completely artificial and was invented in the 1800s.

Actually many free thinking posters around here would agree that we'd be better off as part of the UK - lower taxes, far lower national debt, no tax money being wasted propping up a dead language, more liberal laws allowing abortion rather than morality being dictated by outdated foreign influences in the Vatican etc etc. The fact that there are Irish people spread across the globe, from North America to Australia to Asia and especially the UK, is testament to Ireland's dismal failure as a nation since its unfortunate inception.

PS I find the 12th of July parades infinitely more enjoyable and family friendly than the drunken debauchery and violence of St Patricks Day. What idiot decided to have our national holiday in March when it's cold and raining and dark? I wish the Unionists up North the best of luck my friend. You are a strong people that have persevered despite centuries if persecution and terrorism.
    Good man, at least you have revealed your true agenda. I take it you either never saw a 12th "celebration" or chose not to watch the news? Drunken debauchery seems to be a requirement after one has pi$$ed off the neighbours by marching in a triumphant fashion in nationalist areas with "kick the pope" bands and round off the evening by burning as many tri-colours as one can - yes, an enlightened bunch alright - puts our family oriented St Patricks Day parades to shame it does:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Thanks. I just think it is important we stick to the facts and even the topic of the discussion. Instead all the attention has been thrown on Unionism which is very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

How many pages has it been since the actual topic was discussed?

It's an interesting topic. It would be great to get back to it...
    What has any of this to do with national/political flags at stormount?

MOD NOTE:

I am not sure how this thread went from flags to rugby, Ulster-Scots language, and firebombing in WWII, but since a majority of posters don't seem interested in discussing the flag issue, why don't we just end this here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement