Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Tricolour at Stormont

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

He’s not saying that all Protestants hate Catholics and Irishness in the North...he’s saying that those who do tend to come from the PUL background....let's not kid ourselves, this is in general true!!

I have Protestant friends and worked with many and I have noticed how slow they are to adopt to change and how they adopt a siege mentality.

We are not trying to drive you into the sea we just want our voices heard and respect the fact that their own Unionist domination days are long gone. We have to build a new shared future...and by respecting a flag of the soon to be majority population of the North is a small thing to ask considering we have had the ‘Butcher’s Apron’ waved in our faces for 100’s of years.

The Irish Rugby team showed how respect is done by not playing the Irish National Anthem at away games.....to many this is hard to swallow but it shows that we can make changes to respect another person’s culture. The GAA allowed the English Rugby team to play at Croke Park...a stadium were their soldiers murdered 13 innocent people attending a GAA match.

Move with the times Unionism or face being the forgotten people left behind by the world.

And why did they do that I wonder? A response to an act of equal brutality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

There were 13 british civillians murdered on that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

well it was a sweeping statement implying that all protestants were like that in northern island

He’s not saying that all Protestants hate Catholics and Irishness in the North...he’s saying that those who do tend to come from the PUL background....let's not kid ourselves, this is in general true!!

I have Protestant friends and worked with many and I have noticed how slow they are to adopt to change and how they adopt a siege mentality.

We are not trying to drive you into the sea we just want our voices heard and respect the fact that their own Unionist domination days are long gone. We have to build a new shared future...and by respecting a flag of the soon to be majority population of the North is a small thing to ask considering we have had the ‘Butcher’s Apron’ waved in our faces for 100’s of years.

The Irish Rugby team showed how respect is done by not playing the Irish National Anthem at away games.....to many this is hard to swallow but it shows that we can make changes to respect another person’s culture. The GAA allowed the English Rugby team to play at Croke Park...a stadium were their soldiers murdered 13 innocent people attending a GAA match.

Move with the times Unionism or face being the forgotten people left behind by the world.

I see you don't do irony either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TheONeill1641

Your response is the most ridiculous response of the day.

The IRA flying column took out the spies that the British Government had hand-picked from across the empire to wipe them out.

This civilian army took out the cream of the British intelligence in one morning.....legitimate military targets...this does not warrant driving armoured vehicles into the local GAA pitch and open up with machine gun fire into a packed stadium you ignorant dog.

Your attitudes sum up a lot of Unionist people....ignorant of the past as they are the ones that the right thinking world will always consider to borrow a movie term 'the bad guys'.

The Irish Race refused to give up the ghost through the worst hardships. Not many other races suffered these same hardships and live to tell the tale except for the Jews!!

junder wrote: »

I don't see your point....stating facts is not being a bigot...marching down majority Catholic areas every summer in a sectarian organisation set up for one religion to try and show that they are dominate over another religion and pissing in their Gardens and waving paramilitary flags and shouting abuse is!!

• Advertisement

The IRA flying column took out the spies that the British Government had hand-picked from across the empire to wipe them out.

This civilian army took out................these same hardships and live to tell the tale except for the Jews!!

1 - It was Rifle Fire - not an armoured car's weaponry.

2 - We aren't a race, afaik.

3 - Yes, others have suffered far worse. That doesn't excuse anyone, but thats still the truth of it.

I don't see your point....stating facts is not being a bigot...marching down majority Catholic areas every summer in a sectarian organisation set up for one religion to try and show that they are dominate over another religion and pissing in their Gardens and waving paramilitary flags and shouting abuse is!!

You really don't know when to stop digging do you. Making unfounded generalizations about a community is bigotry. Next you will be commenting on the distance between our eyes

Nodin,

Go back to sleep, because thats what you must of been doing in History lessons.

1. Innocent people where killed

2. Why are we not a Race?

[SIZE=+1]LONDON[/SIZE][SIZE=+1] (Reuters) - Irish geneticists have used surnames and the male Y chromosome to reconstruct a one thousand year-old genetic map of Ireland that shows the Irish really are a race apart.[/SIZE] 3.We were nearly wiped out by British Brutality!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

In fairness, there is evidence for the 'siege mentality' and resistance to change in sections of the Unionist population.
    In light of the new political dispensations in Northern Ireland and South Africa, sections of the once-dominant Ulster Protestant population and White South African population have questioned their future role in a society they once controlled ... they resisted change throughout their history rejecting any notion of compromise with their subordinates - Catholics in Northern Ireland.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

KeithAFC wrote: »
    If we must negotiate, then give them the Ulster nationalist flag (the yellow one).

I like this idea and would actually be curious how both sides would feel about adopting it. I'd guess it would be accepted by large numbers in the nationalist community with it's gaelic tradition while Loyalists should be appeased if it is flown in a secondary manner to the Union Flag, similar to St Andrews cross at the Scottish assembly

w86q6u.jpg

However ideally, I think a new flag should be commissioned. While St.Andrews Cross for Scotland and the Red Dragon for Wales, Georges cross for England and tricolour for Ireland are a strong representative symbol of the respective regions, N.I I think does not currently have this, as they tend to be linked to a loyalty to London or Dublin. How such a neutral flag might look however, I don't know?

• Advertisement

This civilian army took out the cream of the British intelligence in one morning.....legitimate military targets...this does not warrant driving armoured vehicles into the local GAA pitch and open up with machine gun fire into a packed stadium you ignorant dog.

Your attitudes sum up a lot of Unionist people....ignorant of the past as they are the ones that the right thinking world will always consider to borrow a movie term 'the bad guys'.

The Irish Race refused to give up the ghost through the worst hardships. Not many other races suffered these same hardships and live to tell the tale except for the Jews!!

Oh dear, if it's going to affect you like that - you really shouldn't get involved in debate. I feel that if I was in front of you - my face would be smashed in.

Also, I am not a unionist person. I was born, and have lived all my life in the Republic, and have a typically Irish surname.

From my perspective, all these events are tit for tat / cause and effect.

In fairness, there is evidence for the 'siege mentality' and resistance to change in sections of the Unionist population.
    In light of the new political dispensations in Northern Ireland and South Africa, sections of the once-dominant Ulster Protestant population and White South African population have questioned their future role in a society they once controlled ... they resisted change throughout their history rejecting any notion of compromise with their subordinates - Catholics in Northern Ireland.

Source

That's opinion not proof

That's opinion not proof

I didn't say it was proof.

I said it was evidence. ;)

Being from the north teaches you to be careful with your words. :)

Nodin,

Go back to sleep, because thats what you must of been doing in History lessons
    1. Innocent people where killed.!!

Not by an armoured car. That was the movie "Michael Collins".
    3.We were nearly wiped out by British Brutality!!

I'd suggest you take a look at the history of whats now India, China and Africa.

Oh dear, if it's going to affect you like that - you really shouldn't get involved in .........../ cause and effect.

Earlier you stated that the massacre was " A response to an act of equal brutality." What was this act?

Oh dear, if it's going to affect you like that - you really shouldn't get involved in debate. I feel that if I was in front of you - my face would be smashed in.

Also, I am not a unionist person. I was born, and have lived all my life in the Republic, and have a typically Irish surname.

From my perspective, all these events are tit for tat / cause and effect.

Killing innocent people watching a GAA game is barbarism not tit for tat. Shooting indiscriminately into a crowd that contained woman and children cannot be excused. Tit for Tat suggests one deed equals another not you kill one we kill 20.

Nodin wrote: »
    Earlier you stated that the massacre was " A response to an act of equal brutality." What was this act?

It was an act of retaliation for killings of British earlier that day. All killings in situations like this are brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

I really hope when you say "you" you arent refering to me. I consider myself a republican albeit a fair one and was simply playing mediator

That's opinion not proof

I didn't say it was proof.

I said it was evidence. ;)

Being from the north teaches you to be careful with your words. :)

Evidence

e·vi·dence
    [ev-i-duhns]
    - noun
    1. something establishing a fact as true
    2. something presented in a law court to support a case

ie proof
    - noun
    1. evidence establishing a truth or fact

Need to be more careful with your words

It was an act of retaliation for killings of British earlier that day. All killings in situations like this are brutal.

That's odd, because normally targeted killings of members of the oppossing forces are not comparable to shooting down random civillians.

Do you support taking reprisals against a civillian population when armed forces are targeted?

• Advertisement

That's odd, because normally targeted killings of members of the oppossing forces are not comparable to shooting down random civillians.

Do you support taking reprisals against a civillian population when armed forces are targeted?

A perfect question for the IRA!

A perfect question for the IRA!

I'm sure it is. However here we have you stating that firing into a crowd of supporters at a sporting fixture in retaliation for the targeting of members of the opposition forces is a "A response to an act of equal brutality".

This raises the question - do you (generally) support taking reprisals against a civillian population when armed forces are targeted?

I'm sure it is. However here we have you stating that firing into a crowd of supporters at a sporting fixture in retaliation for the targeting of members of the opposition forces is a "A response to an act of equal brutality".

This raises the question - do you (generally) support taking reprisals against a civillian population when armed forces are targeted?

Do you think the incident at Croke Park was simply random?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

well it was a sweeping statement implying that all protestants were like that in northern island

No i named a few people that are raging bigots like Adair and McCrea, i also mentioned the OO. I referred to the PUL that is Protestant+Unionist+Loyalist community. I was not referring to ordinary protestants.

Do you think the incident at Croke Park was simply random?

Well the location wasn't, but the targets were. It was a reprisal taken against civillians.

Would you care to answer the question I've put to you twice before?

Do you (generally) support taking reprisals against a civillian population when armed forces are targeted?

Evidence

e·vi·dence
    [ev-i-duhns]
    - noun

ie proof
    - noun

Evidence is a fact/situation that suggests something could be true. Proof is a fact/situation that removes all doubt.

I don't see the point of the question. What is your reason for pressing me on this ?

Evidence

e·vi·dence
    [ev-i-duhns]
    - noun

ie proof
    - noun

Evidence is a fact/situation that suggests something could be true. Proof is a fact/situation that removes all doubt.

Nice try with the semantics, still does not negate the fact that all you presented was an opinion

I don't see the point of the question. What is your reason for pressing me on this ?

I want to know why you equate the targeting of members of armed forces in a conflict with the targeting of random civillians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

well there honouring edward carson down here flying a tri colour in the north makes more sense seeing as there is a large percentage of the population who are irish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement