Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I *LOVE* painting. I even have painting combats and a painting bandana:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Wake him up Jane.Being asleep at 2pm Is only acceptable when extremely hungover/after an all nighter (studying)/ the morning after you finish your last exam for the summer! Get him up and out for a walk, help kick the habit and get a good nights sleep tonight!

• Administrators Posts: 53,573 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

awec wrote: »
    Wanna paint my apartment? :pac:

It's a pain in the arse.

YUS!!

Wanna do my exams?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have swollen glands and it hurts to swallow.. just fupping super.
    And I have to bring my cat to the vet later, he will not be a happy kitty. :(

Jane- stop being so nice and start to kick some arse! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Just got invited to the IRUPA awards tonight. Supposed to be studying. So. Very.... TEMPTED!

• Administrators Posts: 53,573 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

cdaly_ wrote: »
    If you haven't already done so, upgrade all the insulation in the house. Money well spent...

We got insulation last year (it didn't have any in the attic before that, cowboy house) and got all the hinges on the windows replaced, it's as airtight as it's ever going to be, it's just a very poorly built house. Things like a manhole in the middle of the garden, the fireplace is off centre on it's wall, very few sockets, the fireplace annoys me the most, I like symmetry! :D
    Lucyfur wrote: »
    I *LOVE* painting. I even have painting combats and a painting bandana:D

I love it too! I've painted most of our house, have nearly a full wardrobe of painting clothes!
    Honey-ec wrote: »
    Just got invited to the IRUPA awards tonight. Supposed to be studying. So. Very.... TEMPTED!

Go! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Acoshla wrote: »
    We got insulation last year (it didn't have any in the attic before that, cowboy house) and got all the hinges on the windows replaced, it's as airtight as it's ever going to be, it's just a very poorly built house. Things like a manhole in the middle of the garden, the fireplace is off centre on it's wall, very few sockets, the fireplace annoys me the most, I like symmetry! :D

Can't say i've ever noticed that about your fireplace but I'm totally gonna be checkin it out the next time I'm over :D

Can't say i've ever noticed that about your fireplace but I'm totally gonna be checkin it out the next time I'm over :D

It drives me mad!!! Looks bizarre, silly fireplace. My big dilemma last week was do I centre the new mirror in the middle of the wall or the middle of the fireplace, first world problems!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Last November my boyfriend and his best friend opened a tyre shop and they have been doing incredibly well considering the current economic climate.

A few weeks ago my boyfriend had a visit from the local Council alleging that one of our neighbours had complained about the entrance, saying that there had been a few close calls with cars pulling out of our place and onto the main road. First of all, what has that got to do with the Council?? These alleged "close calls" could have very easily been with either myself or my boyfriend pulling out of the house on the bikes or the 10-20 people that call to the house weekly (what can I say, we're a popular couple lol!). There is absolutely no evidence that any of these alleged "close calls" can be attributed to the business. Second of all, my boyfriend's family has lived in this house for over 50 years, same goes for all of the neighbours, if there was a problem, the neighbours would have absolutely no issue with coming up to us and telling us themselves. So we're quite skeptical over what really got the Council out to us.

My boss's husband is a Conveyancing Solicitor so he got involved and organised an Architect to come out and assess things and set out our options to keep the Council happy. The Architect said our only option was to apply for permission for a second entrance with a recessed road off the main road.

The Architect has just come back and said that the Council won't agree to the application. That was literally our only option. So the Council are going to shut us down and close the business.

I am so bloody angry right now. The government go on and on and on about helping people get off the dole and helping start up business and all this bull**** but when it comes down to it they really couldn't give a ****.

My boyfriend was on BTEA for 2 years and on the dole for a year prior to that. His best friend was on the dole for 2 years. What the hell are they supposed to do now? Go back on the dole? Yeah, that's just brilliant!

The two lads are understandably so annoyed right now! They're both mega angry that they'll have to go back on the dole now and there's question marks hanging over how easy that will be considering they have both been classed as self-employed for just over 7 months.

My boyfriend is pissed because aside from the issue with the dole, he now has 50 acres of land lying idle, which he can do nothing with because the Council want to buy it, and he has a huge commercial space there beside our house which he can also do nothing with because the Council won't allow him carry on business. What the hell is wrong with this country??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

So we're quite skeptical over what really got the Council out to us.

he now has 50 acres of land lying idle, which he can do nothing with because the Council want to buy it,

anything to do with it?

that's infuriating

don't give up - write to a TD etc and document everything

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

Have to go to the dentist - hope its nothing serious. Just got a filling before Easter adn she said I didn't need to come back until my 6 month check up. But the pain is so bad and painkillers aren't working :(

@ bluewolf - possibly, we really don't know.

I contacted all our local TDs weeks ago when the Council came out first and received no reply from any of them. I'm in the middle of writing them all another letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chimpokomon

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    And my bf has fallen back asleep after I woke him up ages ago. Just f**king wonderful.

Long time lurker but here goes... Jane, is there any chance that you're putting up with a lot of BS because it's your first relationship? The guy is 28, unemployed with no apparent interest in getting a job or learning to drive, still living with mammy, whose primary activities appear to be Xbox and watching the footie. Have you ever asked him what he wants out of life? Does he have any ambition at all? If he does, he's not going to get far by staying up all night playing video games and sleeping all day.

I'll put it this way, there's not a lot of women his own age who'd be interested. There's a medical term for what's wrong with him btw, it's called lazyitis (complications brought about by perma-hangover).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I contacted all our local TDs weeks ago when the Council came out first and received no reply from any of them. I'm in the middle of writing them all another letter.

write to the irish times editor and emphasise about the campaign signs saying "yes to jobs" while the council is trying to shut you down for no reason - where's the yes to jobs there?

if they print that you'll be contacted fairly quick smart

Pixiebean don't get me started on this country and trying to start a business, now in fairness I have met about...3 helpful people during the last two years with mine but the amount of blocks and rules and crap they put in the way, they are meant to be encouraging people to get off the dole and get proactive, and then they say "Yeah but you can't do that because..."

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

I think you live in Waterford right? :) Try writing to both The Munster Express and The News And Star, should get you some press about it. Also have you got any TD's numbers? If not, feel free to PM me and I can forward you Paudie Coffey's. :)

you can email the IT if you decide to go that route btw, and i think you should
    they printed one of mine a while back :)

Pixie, definitely get on to your local TD and hound them til they help you out. Can they really just shut you down like that? That's bloody awful:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Screw it, I'm going to the ball. One night of missed study is not going to make any difference to my exams at this stage, I was already fooked.

Off home now to get ready...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

@pixiebean

the td's etc get a lot of letters all the time, its often an age before they get answered, its not good enough imo but thats the reality, it might get things kick started if you get the two guys to go to one of the local td's clinics that are held.

Its appalling to think two people trying to make a genuine go of things are being forced back on the dole, as others said contact the papers wlr etc. The media will love a story like this right now.

At the very least it might force a re think on the second entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I agree with Blue, I'd fight tooth and nail if that happened to my fella's business! You'd think they would be trying to keep people off the dole :rolleyes:

Finally off my feet and ready for a night of trying out the new products I received today in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Pixiebean, that is so infuriating :mad: Bad press holds a lot more weight in these situations than you might think, absolutely hammer them.

Well have just fired off a whole load of e-mails to the local TDs and have already gotten a response from one. Also, fired off similar e-mails to Irish Times, Irish Independent and all the local newspapers.

Hopefully we'll at least get this some publicity even if it doesn't result in back tracking by the Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Last November my boyfriend and his best friend opened a tyre shop and they have been doing incredibly well considering the current economic climate.

A few weeks ago my boyfriend had a visit from the local Council alleging that one of our neighbours had complained about the entrance, saying that there had been a few close calls with cars pulling out of our place and onto the main road. First of all, what has that got to do with the Council?? These alleged "close calls" could have very easily been with either myself or my boyfriend pulling out of the house on the bikes or the 10-20 people that call to the house weekly (what can I say, we're a popular couple lol!). There is absolutely no evidence that any of these alleged "close calls" can be attributed to the business. Second of all, my boyfriend's family has lived in this house for over 50 years, same goes for all of the neighbours, if there was a problem, the neighbours would have absolutely no issue with coming up to us and telling us themselves. So we're quite skeptical over what really got the Council out to us.

My boss's husband is a Conveyancing Solicitor so he got involved and organised an Architect to come out and assess things and set out our options to keep the Council happy. The Architect said our only option was to apply for permission for a second entrance with a recessed road off the main road.

The Architect has just come back and said that the Council won't agree to the application. That was literally our only option. So the Council are going to shut us down and close the business.

I am so bloody angry right now. The government go on and on and on about helping people get off the dole and helping start up business and all this bull**** but when it comes down to it they really couldn't give a ****.

My boyfriend was on BTEA for 2 years and on the dole for a year prior to that. His best friend was on the dole for 2 years. What the hell are they supposed to do now? Go back on the dole? Yeah, that's just brilliant!

The two lads are understandably so annoyed right now! They're both mega angry that they'll have to go back on the dole now and there's question marks hanging over how easy that will be considering they have both been classed as self-employed for just over 7 months.

My boyfriend is pissed because aside from the issue with the dole, he now has 50 acres of land lying idle, which he can do nothing with because the Council want to buy it, and he has a huge commercial space there beside our house which he can also do nothing with because the Council won't allow him carry on business. What the hell is wrong with this country??

Modern Ireland in a nutshell, where bureaucracy and red tape trump business and common sense. no wonder so many people are getting out of here. no jobs, cant start your own business due to all the bullsh1t that goes with it, this country is fcuked.

yayyy!
    keep us updated
    we're behind you on this :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

My exam went ok (and by ok i meant i kicked ass).....FINALLY!! :D

i need a nap and a shower and some food!

study for night is.....watching movies for film tomorrow!! my fav kind of study! :D

Well have just fired off a whole load of e-mails to the local TDs and have already gotten a response from one. Also, fired off similar e-mails to Irish Times, Irish Independent and all the local newspapers.

Hopefully we'll at least get this some publicity even if it doesn't result in back tracking by the Council.

I'd never think of contacting td's and media, I'd just cry and give up, your plan is better! :)

• Advertisement

A boards angry mob lol!

Well Acoshla I contacted them before and I got no response but I suppose at this stage it's more serious because the Council are shutting us down so maybe that's why they have responded at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement