Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

The QBs just awful seriously a proposal form , persuasive article , a letter?
    I did the letter wasn't sure what to write just trying to make it descriptive. I liked the titles for my short story.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

it was the one paper in the world i probably could have actually got an A on if it wasnt for the fact i spent over an hour on comprehensions and only had an hour and 20 mins to do my composing and qb. my own fault i should know by now not to have messed up time. had 2 paragraphs left to write for my speech that were really good ideas but instead i end up having to write a one line conclusion that just said goodbye. oh well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Hopefully the question B and the short story went well, part of the comprehension was a bit of a disaster due to running out of time. I think I got like 5 marks for one part, I literally just wrote the introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Don't know about ye but I thought that was a piece of piss.Apart from the minor panic attack I had at 11 it was simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Went well for me. Hard to know though. Nice Paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dearbhaile

Guys seriously,you know te easy about time? How many marks do you think I'd lose if I wrote a completely serious article (which I thought was really excellent until I got home) where the question states 'a ligt hearted and entertaining article? Would I lose a loaaad of marks??:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

did you fit your depressing story in, finality? :P

chuffed with how it went! i thought of historykitten in my short story, it was about a guy who moved to kilkenny when he was 8 and wanted to live in dublin again :P managed to fit their linking quote in although slightly edited, and got loads of fancy language in. 12 pages in total. lets hope tomorrow's as nice!

we have the same examiner as when I did my JC too :eek: he started late, messed up my whole timing thing but I got it all done and read over, barely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Which short story did everyone do?

Patchy~ wrote: »
    chuffed with how it went! i thought of historykitten in my short story, it was about a guy who moved to kilkenny when he was 8 and wanted to live in dublin again :P managed to fit their linking quote in although slightly edited, and got loads of fancy language in. 12 pages in total. lets hope tomorrow's as nice!

we have the same examiner as when I did my JC too :eek: he started late, messed up my whole timing thing but I got it all done and read over, barely :)

We started late too. I did the rock band one, I just wrote about Nirvana from the point of view of Kurt Cobain. Didn't even have to think of a story. Just rewrote history and tweaked it slightly. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Patchy~ wrote: »
    did you fit your depressing story in, finality? :P

I did, it was perfect, except I made the ending uplifting because it's easier to write a happy ending in NO TIME ugh. I wrote the last page in 5 minutes, seriously. :( Our examiner was lovely, he's an adorable old man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

I lost big marks in coherence.
    Twas a lovely paper but I screwed up in the essay.

Did text 1 comp,
    text 3 Q.b
    "When I turn 18 .... essay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Wow I was really worried this morning but I couldn't be more happy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

done the question B about the proposal..what was the format tho? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Managed to fit YOLO into my part B question.

No regrets. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Well done guys for getting the first paper done, now you're in the swing of it the rest of the time should fly by! :)

Doing post mortems on the paper is only natural, but try limit the time you think about Paper I and move right onto your next exam. Don't panic about the time constraints you may have had today, the examiners know that you're under a lot of stress and that time is tight for English. Even if you didn't get to put proper conclusions on things that's only a small part of the essay, the rest of it was probably fine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Composition and B were grand. I couldn't concentrate enough to properly read the Comprehension so Question A was extremely bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

B3. :cool:

Question Bs weren't very nice, essays were grand. Like an eejit I did Part A on Text 1. :( Happy enough with my B part and my essay though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Text 1 QB
    Text 2 QA
    Composition Q7 "leaving home"

Wasn't too bad, ran out of time for my art A questions, could have done with an extra 2 mins. I think most people in my year did the short story q7!

How long do ye generally write for the composition? I wrote just 4 pages, although I counted my words at 1200.

Also I think I messed up on my letter format!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Joey. wrote: »
    I know it's nice of people so I shouldn't really complain, but all the good luck cards, phone calls and people calling to the door to say good luck is really unnerving me :o
    I know, I don't know why they bother sending cards with no money, just getting my hopes up!
    Importance of literature :D hell yeah :D

You liked it? :/ I did it and it was so waffley and ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

had to keep reminding myself during the exam - "this is real this is the actual leaving cert"
    as a repeat i really am too complacent and lazy

• Advertisement

Togepi wrote: »

Question Bs weren't very nice, essays were grand. Like an eejit I did Part A on Text 1. :( Happy enough with my B part and my essay though. :)

I did that one too, I didn't think it was too bad, took up a good bit of time though.

Togepi wrote: »

Text A was a great comprehension question.

Also to the other mate, my teacher said, after the exam, that the proposal could have been done in just a regular, article like format or a summary report format with the headings. Anyway, off to start hamlet!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Anybody do Text 3? I thought the image on the left was better but everyone else went with the one on the right. At least I'll be unique :P

Eathrin wrote: »
    Text 1 QB
    How long do ye generally write for the composition? I wrote just 4 pages, although I counted my words at 1200.

I wrote 4 pages as well, didn't have enough time to count the words though.

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I did that one too, I didn't think it was too bad, took up a good bit of time though.
    I admit it took a lot of writing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I know, I don't know why they bother sending cards with no money, just getting my hopes up!

You liked it? :/ I did it and it was so waffley and ugh.

I thought of doing the personal essay, then I realised that I don't read so yeah fùck that like:pac:

Actually, does anyone know how many words they wrote/typed? I know I did 3,100 in total. Is that a lot?
    Thanks.

I admit it took a lot of writing though.

Over 3 pages I think it took for me and I could have wrote more but I would have ran out of time, how much you write.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

QA was grand, spent too long on it though and when I got to the third part it was shorter that the two 15 markers :L

QB shhok me a bit, never did an article before so I basically just wrote :S What makes an article an article guys :S?

Short story scared me alot and I was panicking cus my idea didn't fit in and I was feeling like I couldn't think of anything. So I did like a page of me going on about how I want to leave home, and once I did I slotted in my normal idea which was something completely different. I somewhat tied it back together in a conclusion paragraph thing. But I'm really scared that I didn't really answer the question :(:(:(

• Advertisement

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Over 3 pages I think it took for me and I could have wrote more but I would have ran out of time, how much you write.

I wrote at least 1.7 (Typed) which would be about three and a bit written.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement