Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Sure it'll be frost who's guaranteed :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I've never put a change into a story on purpose. The one I did about an old person looking back on an important even had no change at all, and the mystery solving one...theres no need for change there. o_O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

If Plath comes up I come up. At least a grade.....

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Just to make sure, the Poets and stuff comes up in paper 2 right?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

Just wondering if you have a choice between Literary Genre and General Vision on the day which one would be better to do? :confused: Given that both well prepared?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Am I the only one that has nothing prepared for paper 1 tomorrow? :confused: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Just wondering if you have a choice between Literary Genre and General Vision on the day which one would be better to do? :confused: Given that both well prepared?

I think less people do LG so do that one if you can do it well would be my advice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

So it turns out you should title short stories and give proper layouts to part B's, my English teacher told me :pac:

Whoops! I'm off to cram a little more...

I cant imagine I'll be on here in the morning. See you all on the other side, dundundun. ;)

And good luck everyone! Remember...we can always repeat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Lads, shi*ing it here now. Question B I've always like done a speech or diary, and only realising that they may not come up. Is there anything I should know for an article, or whats difference between the types of letters they can ask, and whats difference between a talk and a speech :O :confused: Starting to get scared :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dearbhaile

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Am I the only one that has nothing prepared for paper 1 tomorrow? :confused: :eek:

No of course you're not,prepare what?? English paper one is meant to be about Composing! Not learning and rhyming things off,that's what's wrong with the whole system!!

• Advertisement

Patchy~ wrote: »
    So it turns out you should title short stories and give proper layouts to part B's, my English teacher told me :pac:

Whoops! I'm off to cram a little more...

I cant imagine I'll be on here in the morning. See you all on the other side, dundundun. ;)

And good luck everyone! Remember...we can always repeat :D

What Patchy really intends to announce:
    We're all repeating next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

I'm thinking of throwing out all my notes, to ensure I don't have to repeat! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Am I the only one who's more worried about paper 2?
    I can do the comparative well it's just Hamlet if I start to forget quotes or if a question comes up and it's one I haven't prepared. Then poetry if I forget quotes.
    I'm sure it'll be grand , I'll spend the whole day re-reading essays and notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Mayo_Boy wrote: »

I've learned off techniques of fiction and comprehensions.... 23 terms in all and what they mean, how to apply them, how to manipulate them.
    I've also learned off guidepoints for answering images in relations to comprehensions, what to look for, how to link it with text and how it contributes to the message of the text
    I have a brief idea of the plotline, timeline and events of three short stories but they are only shorthand notes so i have to make up mostly everything on the day. I really dislike the system for paper 1, it shouldn't be about learning off 10 short stories word by fúckin word

So no man, your not the only one in the boat! Dont worry unless we get a short story based on some dreary monotonous fairytale/useless unformatable quote, we should hit no icebergs!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

Good Luck Tomorrow everyone! i hope it goes well for you all :)
    the leaving cert is really important but remember there are other ways around getting the course you want if you don't get the points. you can get 625 points and be miserable in life just as easily as getting 125 points and living a happy meaningful life.
    I repeated this year cos i was 30 points short for primary teaching and honestly i only decided to repeat when the cao offers came out. it's the best decision i've ever made because i think i've grown up a lot this year and feel like a better person and that i know what i want to do with my life more. i don't regret it at all, even if i do worse this year i think i know whatever is meant to be is meant to be :D
    (sorry if i sound cheesy, i tend to be a bit like that sometimes :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I reckon at this stage cramming or doing anything of the like is futile. I've done feckall today and tbh it doesn't really bother me. I'm going to get up at 7:30 tomorrow and go for a walk, contemplating my exam and possible short stories. I need to be as creative as I can so a good sleep and a fresh morning should help. Sure my essay probably won't fit, but so what? Purpose is everything. If I can my story as relevant as they come, then I should be fine, it's not like I'm bad at English anyway. I've done reasonable preparation and by now it's just preparing to start the exam in the best way possible. "The readiness is all" Hamlet once said, and whatever will be, will be-"There's a special providence in the fall of a sparrow". Right now I'm completely relaxed :)

And on that note, I'd like to wish the very best of luck to all of you on this forum, I know some of ye have talents for English and tomorrows your chance to shine! Don't perceive the exam as a bad thing, but rather an opportunity to flaunt your talent that you have! And thank ye for making my leaving cert more bearable over the last few months, despite the ridiculous amount of time procrastinating on boards and indeed facebook too, I wouldn't go as far to say as it was wasted time but important time too, to get away from the books. So I wish ye all the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

The butterflies are fluttering pretty frantically now. Just want it to be 9:30 AM rather than PM!

Good luck everyone, not just for tomorrow, for the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

11 hours, 58 minutes...

:P

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm going to go get a shower, then bunker down in bed with a good book. Good luck to ye all tomorrow, we've had our ups and downs on this thread and its predecessor, but we can't say it hasn't been worth it. I'll see ye on the flip side.

And anyone doing Home Ec - Good luck <3

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Gonna be heading to bed shortly but before I do--
    Good luck everyone! Thank you for making the run-up to the Leaving Cert less stressful, it really has been nice to come on here and talk to everyone about it and remind ourselves we're not alone in this. :) I'm sure everybody will do brilliantly, just remember to relax. Good Luck!!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Lads, does the actual plot of a short story matter all that much, aslong as it's not overly boring and cliched? I'm getting caught up in that, or do most marks go for expression and how you tell it?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Good luck guys! Thanks for giving me a wonderful place to procrastinate! :D

The only layouts that need be learned for a part B is:
    Letters
    Advertisement (Vote for... etc.) (ONly thing you can have bullet points in BTW)
    And then reports:
    HEadings are

Title
    Author
    Recipient
    Date
    Intro
    Discussion
    Recommendations

HOpe this helped.

GUYS RTE ANNOUNCED THE LC IS TOMORROW.

Oh wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I'll probably be online for a whole longer, but I might as well say good luck now before everyone leaves. :P Best of luck with all of your exams! From what I gather you're all going to do pretty damn good. :) And I've got a good feeling an essay on Leaving Cert forums will come up. ;) :P

reznov wrote: »

Oh wait.

Hold on...what?
    What day is it?

Togepi wrote: »
    I'll probably be online for a whole longer, but I might as well say good luck now before everyone leaves. :P Best of luck with all of your exams! From what I gather you're all going to do pretty damn good. :) And I've got a good feeling an essay on Leaving Cert forums will come up. ;) :P

Myself too. Good luck to all.

Here's hoping for an essay on young people and procrastination.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

reznov wrote: »

Oh wait.

Sh!t just got real.

Hayezer wrote: »
    Lads, does the actual plot of a short story matter all that much, aslong as it's not overly boring and cliched? I'm getting caught up in that, or do most marks go for expression and how you tell it?

Purpose - did you answer the question/good plot etc.

Usually examiners base the Coherence, Language and Mechanics marks from this.

E/g essay = 100m

You get
    Purpose- 20/30
    Therefore Coherence and language will all be graded out of 20 rather than 30.
    SO ANSWER THE QUESTION.

This is just coming from a fella that was doing a big course in sligo over easter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

You know somethings a serious issue when RTE announces it....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement