Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Eathrin wrote: »
    Ah sure I once wrote semolina as salmonella in an exam.
    *Facepalm
    I should've kept the word as anecdote . I just realised I'm a great speller but when it comes to exams it changes. Maybe the examiner will see the funny side of things and see it as a simple mistake.
    imelle wrote: »
    if they wanted us to do a formal letter they would have said formal letter surely. if that's the case to be honest i think they'll accept either because it's their own fault for not making it clear to us which one it should have been. right? please say i'm right :/

I did informal myself I really hope it's accepted. It sounded like you had to write as if you were a fan .
    Martin_94 wrote: »
    Oh dear god, what references were they? :eek:

I can't remember but if you have paper 1 read text 2, I had a quick read of it while deciding texts. Oh and Heaney came up in the text too. "Learn them too , from the influence on the famine has had on contemporary irish poets. When Eavan Boland reflects on the limitation of science of catography because the famine road does not show up on the map or Seamus Heaney writes.... "
    They mentioned Yeats in it somewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I have an average knowledge from 5 poets of 4 poems. What I write won't be wonderful but it's better than being dependant on whether one of them comes up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ShaunaD11

Um guys I did a really stupid interpretation of the inferior rockband gasping for fame because I panicked and Im not sure if my answer made sense

I wrote about a wife talking about her husband, she met him when he was on the cusp of fame 20 years back. Then it goes to her thinking he had an affair. Hes still part of a tband and she thought it was pathetic at the age of 50. Then he comes in the door and I describe his rocker door and theres dialogue and basically she accuses him of having an affair. Then it goes back to when her suspicions began. I describe how a friend saw him with a young blond girl at Starbucks. I say it would have annoyed me back when he was almost famous but now it was almost laughable that a woman other than me would date him. Then I find a receipt for Starbucks so I check his facebook, hes talking to a 24 year old about his band and stuff. Back to the present and I confront him with the facebook page, theres silence. He begins to talk but hesitates so I say "Spit it out you pathetic rockstar wannabe" and he says " I have a daughter" Did I go veer away from the heading way too much? :/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

My friend is telling me about her part B etc, it sounds so good, damn her :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Lads what am I saying?

Be grand. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Paper 1 actually went quite well :) I've no idea how I did, but it's definitely a B at least! So I can't complain.

I thought I'd write out the plot to my story, could people give their opinions on it please? I wrote it quite well I thought, just not sure if it was completely relevant. Composition #7.

So it starts off with how it ends, but you'll see that later. So at the actual start "Kate" is walking home from school, bullys are jeering at her and mocking her, but Kate was used to it by now, weather was sh*te too.
    So she comes home, her mother interrogates her with questions "Where were you? What were you at? etc." but kate just shrugs her shoulders and eats away at her crappy microwave food. But then her dad comes home drunk (he's a raging alcoholic) and shouts at her giving out to her. Then her mother gets involved in the argument and it all gets very violent. Then her dad pulls a knife on his wife, threatening to kill her and as he leans in suddenly reality kicks in. He thinks "what am I doing, what have I done?" and looks over to his daughter. She has her head in her hands, she's screaming. He looks back at his wife, he realises he's stabbed her. He's like f*ck. Then he looks to his daughter, she's gone. She ran out the door and kept running and running and running.. until she got to the end of the road. She peers over the side, a colossal 400 foot drop. She glances behind her, her dad's chasing her, asking for forgiveness. She looks ahead again, a lump forms in her throat, she takes her first steps and...

What do ye think? :P

ShaunaD11 wrote: »
    Um guys I did a really stupid interpretation of the inferior rockband gasping for fame because I panicked and Im not sure if my answer made sense

I wrote about a wife talking about her husband, she met him when he was on the cusp of fame 20 years back. Then it goes to her thinking he had an affair. Hes still part of a tband and she thought it was pathetic at the age of 50. Then he comes in the door and I describe his rocker door and theres dialogue and basically she accuses him of having an affair. Then it goes back to when her suspicions began. I describe how a friend saw him with a young blond girl at Starbucks. I say it would have annoyed me back when he was almost famous but now it was almost laughable that a woman other than me would date him. Then I find a receipt for Starbucks so I check his facebook, hes talking to a 24 year old about his band and stuff. Back to the present and I confront him with the facebook page, theres silence. He begins to talk but hesitates so I say "Spit it out you pathetic rockstar wannabe" and he says " I have a daughter" Did I go veer away from the heading way too much? :/

I didn't write about a rock band at all. Wasn't it "howling like an inferior rock band"? So I'm sure it could be used metaphorically as an attempt to gain fame by someone insignificant.

I wrote out a pre-prepared story. I feel so dirty :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    If Plath doesn't come up my head is going in the oven.

happy-i-see-what-you-did-there.png

If Larkin doesnt come up you'll have to take me away in an Ambulance. :D

• Advertisement

I don't care who comes up as long as one of them isn't Rich.
    All the other poets I enjoy! But knowing my luck... :O

Patchy~ wrote: »
    If Larkin doesnt come up you'll have to take me away in an Ambulance. :D

Whisper at your own distress. It'll dull to distance all you are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm on studyhub and...I REMEMBER BOLAND FROM LAST YEAR, **** YES!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Right well kinda disappointed about Paper 1, thought I was gonna fly it :(

Part A went well, did it on the first text. Part B I did on the third text (School tour) and that went spiffing also

Essay I did question 5 (All the time in the world) it's quality stuff but only got 2 and a half pages on it, just couldn't think of anythng more to say without going off the point completely. Anyone else do it and find that?

Whisper at your own distress. It'll dull to distance all you are.

I'll close you like a confessional with red stretcher blankets, stopping at every kerb. As my colour is light glossy grey, I will give back none of the glances I absorb.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I wrote out a pre-prepared story. I feel so dirty :pac:

To think, this exam is meant to be about testing your compositional skills.....Not your ability to memorize 10 short stories off by heart! Still fair play to you for being willing to learnoff short stories.... that takes dedication.

Just learnt off by heart my interpretation of Hamlets antic disposition! If it comes up, then I am almost guaranteed to get 80/80.... i now feel dirty :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I'm gonna watch Hamlet and maybe another text today, I think that'll help me remember quotes a lot better than if I read notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Right well kinda disappointed about Paper 1, thought I was gonna fly it :(

Part A went well, did it on the first text. Part B I did on the third text (School tour) and that went spiffing also

Essay I did question 5 (All the time in the world) it's quality stuff but only got 2 and a half pages on it, just couldn't think of anythng more to say without going off the point completely. Anyone else do it and find that?

I feel the exact same, comprehension questions went great, and I did the same ones as you, then I did the speech, wrote two good pages, then had no idea what to say. I waffled for another page and a half before giving up.
    Although I just found out that you lose marks for not quoting in the comprehension, so there's more marks lost. Great.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Dapics wrote: »
    To think, this exam is meant to be about testing your compositional skills.....Not your ability to memorize 10 short stories off by heart! Still fair play to you for being willing to learnoff short stories.... that takes dedication.

Just learnt off by heart my interpretation of Hamlets antic disposition! If it comes up, then I am almost guaranteed to get 80/80.... i now feel dirty :cool:

70/70...learning it off doesn't give you ten extra marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Composition 7

24 year old qualified doctor living at home, wants to move out but scared of big bad world and won't be able to cope and always been afraid of taking risks, mom also agrees that I'm not one for risks. Basically, move out, living with friend,celebrate by going out, have a few drinks, someone collapses,gotta decide wheter to intervene or not as I'm under the influence, I do intervene and do little procedure. Skip to that night at hospital, descriptions etc, stay the night, guy doesn't make it through night. Fast forward 2 weeks later with medical consultants about wheter the person dided due to my intervention,not guilty. "I took a risk leaving home, and I took a risk that night" yadda yadda BS conclusion.

I feel I went way to off topic :(:(:( And please tell me with stories you can do a * * * * * and then start paragraph 2 weeks ahead or something :(?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I hate to be one of those people, but can anyone give me a reeeally general outline of how to structure a role of women essay?
    My plan was two paragraphs about Gerty, two about Ophelia, then two kind of tying them together but it jumps all over the place and I feel like I need a more ligical order...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ShaunaD11

Uh oh, with the pressure I read the essay title wrong

Will I lose marks for having a guy be part of an inferior rock band instead of using the complete metaphor "howling like an inferior rock band?"

Who wants to talk poetry and hamlet with me so I can revise my quotes? I find it works brilliantly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I'm on studyhub and...I REMEMBER BOLAND FROM LAST YEAR, **** YES!

Will studyhub be able to teach me Bolands poetry or Heaneys before tomorrow, I haven't tried the English lessons before.

70/70...learning it off doesn't give you ten extra marks!
    60/60...uh oh! :pac:

Hey reznov, talking about poetry kinda makes my mouth bleed...a mouth just bloodied! Little bloody skirts!
    IF I COULD BLEED, OR SLEEP!
    IF MY MOUTH COULD MARRY A HURT LIKE THAT!
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

I feel the exact same, comprehension questions went great, and I did the same ones as you, then I did the speech, wrote two good pages, then had no idea what to say. I waffled for another page and a half before giving up.
    Although I just found out that you lose marks for not quoting in the comprehension, so there's more marks lost. Great.

Ah dear Coeur, if you showed you understood the comprehensions well then it mightn't be a big deal. I weaved quotes in my answer like some sort of English knitting boss

Oh, I also got ROFL and OMG into my part B :pac:

Patchy~ wrote: »
    60/60...uh oh! :pac:

Hey reznov, talking about poetry kinda makes my mouth bleed...a mouth just bloodied! Little bloody skirts!
    IF I COULD BLEED, OR SLEEP!
    IF MY MOUTH COULD MARRY A HURT LIKE THAT!
    :P

Which poets are you doing?
    I have Plath, Heaney, Larkin and Kinsella. Pick one and we'll speak ;)

Well I didn't learn it off :P I wrote it on Monday evening and it happened to fit perfectly so I couldn't pass up the chance. I was stuck for time as it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

reznov wrote: »
    Who wants to talk poetry and hamlet with me so I can revise my quotes? I find it works brilliantly :)

It actually does guys :) talking via hamlet quotes to reznov and cian and stuff is how I know them so well :) :P
    And I would noble Reznov but I'm getting off this ... with wings as swift I sweep to my study :P

• Advertisement

reznov wrote: »
    Which poets are you doing?
    I have Plath, Heaney, Larkin and Kinsella. Pick one and we'll speak ;)
    Plath, Heaney, Larkin mainly, and Kavanagh, Rich and Boland as back up. Frost can go f*ck himself, and we never did Kinsella. :pac:

What say you? ;)
    (I shall reply whenever I get back from studying poetry - I go to arm myself :D I will return with an unbated sword ;) )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement