Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LVP Thermodynamic solar Panels

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 boarder456

I'm considering installing above panel. The last posts seem to be very sceptical about cost savings. I wonder if braka has any up to date information on his electricity costs for the heat pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I can tell you I've been over 6 months trying to get them sorted after install. They are a nightmare. Have suddenly stopped responding to me also.

It's solicitors for me next I'm afraid.... I still don't even know if the unit was faulty for me, or installed wrong or what. Just woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭The devils

Boarder 456
    I have to say I really like the system..my first year of having the unit I put electric usage recorder on it and it was just over 200 euro..as time went on I'm not sure of the usage anymore.
    At the moment I'm having an issue with unit which will hopefully be resolved this week..then I'm going to start recording power usage again..
    It's a lot of money to start off with, however once up and running it's great..in my opinion..

Replaced my magnesium anode last week. €50
    After taking it out I soon realised that it was ok and not what I was led to believe it would look like after all this time..it was pitted, bit still had pretty much of the magnesium intact.
    Anyway glad I replaced it anyway, I'll clean up the old one and keep in storage just in case.

boarder456 wrote: »
    I'm considering installing above panel. The last posts seem to be very sceptical about cost savings. I wonder if braka has any up to date information on his electricity costs for the heat pump.

Boarder if you need a chat about the system I have, feel free to contact me..No problem.

• Advertisement

jasper1422 wrote: »
    Just bumping up before I decide what to do !

Hi jasper..I can let you know my experience with system if you ever need a chat..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The devils wrote: »
    Replaced my magnesium anode last week. €50
    After taking it out I soon realised that it was ok and not what I was led to believe it would look like after all this time..it was pitted, bit still had pretty much of the magnesium intact.
    Anyway glad I replaced it anyway, I'll clean up the old one and keep in storage just in case.

Where did you get the anode and was it hard to do?

beertons wrote: »
    Where did you get the anode and was it hard to do?

I bought mine from lvp and it took about 5/10 mins to change..pm me if you want me to go through it with you. This was my first replacement since installing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Lads is this thread only about LVP panel. Looking into getting one of these setups and was hoping someone can advise what to look for in a panel/ kit and a supplier for supply only.

cubix wrote: »
    Lads is this thread only about LVP panel. Looking into getting one of these setups and was hoping someone can advise what to look for in a panel/ kit and a supplier for supply only.

I would love to sell you mine for half what I paid. You can get it installed by the vendor, they confirmed it is working perfectly. It has been switched on only a handful of times in the last few months.

• Advertisement

Dreimal7 wrote: »
    Seven years after - are you still happy? Would you recommend the system?

I hope to god you've read the rest of the thread and know to avoid these scammers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Dreimal7 wrote: »
    Seven years after - are you still happy? Would you recommend the system?

Paddy is long gone from here.

I got it installed, and I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 braka

beertons wrote: »
    Paddy is long gone from here.

I got it installed, and I'm happy with it.

Hi...I can't believe its been 7 years since I got this system in.
    Still going strong..never gave a bit of trouble and is one of the best investments we ever made.
    If I was young and starting out again, I'd have 4 of these panels and have my underfloor heating in addition to the DHW.
    I checked usage recently and still the same ..working out around 200/yr.
    At that rate Id have everything incl. central Heating for 800...sounds good to me.
    Obviously new technologies will improve things even more but I'm glad we got this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 chippie1774

braka wrote: »
    Hi...I can't believe its been 7 years since I got this system in.
    Still going strong..never gave a bit of trouble and is one of the best investments we ever made.
    If I was young and starting out again, I'd have 4 of these panels and have my underfloor heating in addition to the DHW.
    I checked usage recently and still the same ..working out around 200/yr.
    At that rate Id have everything incl. central Heating for 800...sounds good to me.
    Obviously new technologies will improve things even more but I'm glad we got this system.

Hi Braka, wonder are you still on here ? Looking for a bit of info on new build...

Still have mine working away..no issues. Except for the capacitor 6 or 7 years ago..love it.

Installing PV in 2 months ago hope fully get eddi system to help with electric consumption.

I'm going bring a clamp amp meter home also a measure usage again..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 grudi79

hi Guys

just got mine installed last april and can't believe that You only spend around 200 a year for Your system.

My bills are lot higher since i got the system. There is an issue with water pressure in the system so i have the guys coming over at the end of november.

i think i need to get one of those amp meters to see the usage.

i have it set to work only 10 hours a day 6am to 4 pm but sometimes takes nearly 4 hours to heat the water to 52deg, is it the same with Your system?

The Devils is the system still working for You ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

These are a heat pump but without a fan on the evaporator (the outside unit) so can become a block of ice at night or during cloudy days, might be some very small benefit over using a electric immersion IMO.

Post edited by John.G on

Not a block of ice 😉, more frosty looking and if you can heat 250ish litres of water every day for 365 days a year for around 200 ish euro 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pointywalnut

Just an update, in March 2022 I had to turn the unit off, the cylinder had corroded. Looking back, I feel the improvements in oil and electricity usage was probably due to insulation and switching to a power shower. Since Oct 2022, I have a heat pump, and after removing the electricity used by the heat pump, our annual electricity usage dropped again by over 400 units. As noted above, we did have ice on the panel a few times.

That is a shame , hope the new heat pump set up is working better for you 👍. Did you have to rip out everything? And what new heat pump/water did you purchase please ?

If and when my thermodynamic panel system goes I would more than likely look at something different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pointywalnut

We got a Daikin Altherma3 6KW Air to Water, first year the COP was 3.78. We had to replace the cylinder a second time, the replacement cylinder for the LVP was not compatible with the heat pump, oversize all of the radiators , put in pipes up the outside wall to feed the hot water in.

Thats a truely remarkable performance, if you are using 250L/day at 40C then assuming elec cost at 35C/kwh and average mains temp of 10C gives a COP of ~ 5.57, if actually heating 250L/day to 60C gives a astounding COP of ~ 9.3.

A Ariston Nuos (conventional air to water HP used for water heating only gives a COP of ~ 3.5.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057175245/ariston-nuos-air-to-water-hw-heat-pump

All 250 l don't get used - 2 adults and 2 kids - I can't be exact, however I'd say 70%

The water is heated only recently to 53 degrees.

For example this morning it used 2.24 kwh during the night to heat water

I never had/used formula for COP ?

Tks again

The COP (coefficient of performance) is just the energy output/energy input. In your case we know the exact energy input is 2.24kwh, don't really know the output but using your 70% figure then 175L of water was heated from a mains temperature of (mine) 10.0C now to 53C so energy output which is the energy required to heat 175L of water from 10C to 53C is 175*(53-10)/860, 8.75kwh, COP, 8.75/2.24, 3.91.

The 860 value comes from where

Thanks again for your example

Its 3600/4.18ish, to convert kcal to kj to kw or kwh.

For example if your boiler is circulating say 15LPM through your rads with a flow/return dT of (65-50), 15C, the boiler outout (power) is 15*60*15/860, 15.7 kw. KW= LPM*60*dT/860. If you heat 250L of water from 10C to 60C then the energy required is 250*(60-10)/860, 14.53 kwh. kwh= litres*dT/860.

Very good and thanks for the excellent information

Really appreciate it..Happy new year

Did a quick test today

tank was 10 degrees - the lowest its been in a long time

250 litre tank - 10 degree water (even though it left the water plant at around 6 degrees)

used 3,9 kwh energy

COP using your formula - COP - 2.97 (not bad)

I have been using the e heater lately on the smart tariff but not today

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mfield

Hey all. The folks had one of these systems fitted over 10 years ago. When there's a few of us staying at home we have noticed that if four people have showers it runs out of hot water. I wondered if I raised the temperature would that help?

@The devils instruction below doesn't seem to match the system we have installed.

I have found the manual for the system HERE but it doesn't tell you how to change the temperature.

Any help would be great. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement