Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LVP Thermodynamic solar Panels

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Yeah, was quoted the same. Am going to query the charge further though, coz I believe if it is a gas leak, it wasn't sealed properly by them. Actually, my dad told me to query it. Learning curve and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭deeno1975

beertons wrote: »
    Anyone ever have a gas leak from their unit? Had the magnesium thingy changed yesterday, and the guy doing it said there was a problem with the unit. Wasn't kicking in, might be a gas leak. It's more the callout charge I'm angry about.

I've had it installed over 2 years ago and have basically forgotten about it. It work's with no problem's (touch wood). What prompted you to change the "magnesium thingy"? How long do you have it?

They rang me and said the thing needed to be changed every 2 years. I don't remember that being said though when they were fitting it. Installed in August 2013, so just missed out with the gaurantee, it's 2 years. I knew something was up, when the water from the tap was hotter than normal, it was the emersion keeping it hot. Fiddled around with the control panel and brought the temp down with the emersion to 52 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Entonces

Hi beertons/deeno could you give me an estimate on monthly or yearly electricity cost to run the thermodynamic solar energy. I'm really interested in it but afraid it Will put my electricity bills through the roof!
    Thanks

Entonces wrote: »
    Hi beertons/deeno could you give me an estimate on monthly or yearly electricity cost to run the thermodynamic solar energy. I'm really interested in it but afraid it Will put my electricity bills through the roof!
    Thanks

Between 200 & 250 per year I think.

• Advertisement

Had a guy call out to me today, he fitted it 2.5 years ago. Dead sound, said it wasn't a gas leak as when he went to put more in, the tank was full. Turns out it was the little control panel thing with the 5 buttons. Said he never heard of one go before and had a spare one in the van. Didn't charge me for it, wouldn't even take a cup of coffee. Was only about 50 quid, but a little gesture like that goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Great thread....or at least the parts I could understand :p

I am wondering if LVP would be suitable for my home and if so, what set-up. Ideally it would cover our CH needs and DHW.

A little about us.

We are in a 3 bed semi built in late 70's. Attic is also converted for a 4th bedroom. Reasonably well insulated, double glazed.

We have GFCH and what I can only describe as "old" rads in each room. It heats the water for baths too.

The sitting room has a solid fuel stove in the living room with no back boiler. I plan to replace this with a back boiler stove, as I light the stove regularly (love the real fire) so may as well get free heat in the other rooms from it.

We have the a new enough immersion used to heat the water for baths during the warmer months we don't use the gas.

We have an electric (Triton t90) shower.

Plans for this year is to add a 25SQM extension to kitchen, so a good time to get the renewables into consideration.

We are a house of 2 adults and 5 kids at present....oldest is 13. Our approx hot water usage per week would be 2.5 baths per week and maybe 20 showers each lasting average of 10 minutes. Dishwasher is used twice daily, but don't know if it can take hot water feed. Same with washing machine. Generally don't need/use hot water for basin etc.

Electric bill is is average of €110 per month and Gas is maybe €20 per month. I am spending around €250 per year on solid fuel, moreso as an indulgence.

Does thermodynamics (the panel type) make sense for my family? DHW and/or CH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sorry to bump this, but I wanted to add my experience so far with these panels. We were swamped with design descisions during our extension build, and our plumber recommended these as the best he has installed, people raving abiut them etc. We went ahead and let him organise.

I am one of those people who tracks everything, spend on fuels, food, energy etc, so I have a three year history of day and night rate usage of electricity. Our average 24 hr usage during the summer is 7 to 10 units, winter is 14 to 18 units. Maximum usage was 2 yaers ago, 23 units a day, when one of the kids had turned on the immersion and left it on. (Classic Irish childhood, I became my parents in that instant, rabbiting on to them about the immersion).

So, two months after our build, where we took out all our electric showers, replaced our boiler, insulated everything I reevaluated our usage and had a surprise. Our energy bill, and usage has nearly tripled. Gone from our average 7 units to 20 units per day mid summer. Now, I wasn't sure was this an appliance fault, so i have been running a power meter on our fridge, oven, dishwasher, tv and this device in the attic, which I hear buzzing away during the day (it runs at 50decibels by the way, I measured that too).

Results taken yesterday over a two week measuring period. 10kwH average per 24 hours, aka ten units.

In contrast, my electric showers, for a ten minute shower would have been 1 unit each.

I am going to call them on Monday and see if this is a faulty install, or what the story is. But at the moment, it looks like a very expensive immersion heater for us.

Will report back.

Reporting back.

LVP told me the average daily usage should be between 2 and 4 units, so mine was possibly a faulty configuration with plumbing or thermostat. They asked if we had a back boiler (no), stove (no)... so thermostat was the next likely culprit.

I called the plumber, who has moved the stat in the tank from the base, up to the mid-point. The position was about 5cm from the cold water inlet point in the tank, every time we turned on a tap it may have been triggering the thermo-pump.

I am back to monitoring for another week, and will see if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

beertons wrote: »
    Between 200 & 250 per year I think.

Does anyone know how this would equate to the top up cost of a thermo solar kit, 40 tube and 300 litre, assuming similar usage? I think from my reading of the thread that this is the most relevant stat to my situation (deciding which option to go with in addition to a condensing gas boiler)
    pwurple wrote: »
    Reporting back.

LVP told me the average daily usage should be between 2 and 4 units, so mine was possibly a faulty configuration with plumbing or thermostat. They asked if we had a back boiler (no), stove (no)... so thermostat was the next likely culprit.

I called the plumber, who has moved the stat in the tank from the base, up to the mid-point. The position was about 5cm from the cold water inlet point in the tank, every time we turned on a tap it may have been triggering the thermo-pump.

I am back to monitoring for another week, and will see if that makes any difference.

Result?

Can I also say that the authorities have really let us down by not certifying these things or requiring accurate measurement of the various devices so we can make an informed and easy choice

• Advertisement

Average is 3.91 kWh per 24hr period, averaged over a 2 week period in sunny august.

Considerably better than before, but stil quite high tbh, nearly 4. I would have hoped for 2-3, as ~4 was our usage on electric showers previously. Now, our showers are nicer, we installed larger showerheads, so there is more water volume etc, and we don't boil a kettle to heat water for a shave anymore. But still, no saving to note yet. Not sure will it be more effective to use this thermo system over winter to heat water, or the boiler.

I will monitor next now over a longer period, maybe october to end of january to get winter numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

a148pro wrote: »

Can I also say that the authorities have really let us down by not certifying these things or requiring accurate measurement of the various devices so we can make an informed and easy choice

https://www.seai.ie/energy-in-business/ber-assessor-support/harp-database/harp-database-search/
    the above data base gives efficiency's

Unfortunately its double dutch to me. To be honest, at this point I'm thinking of not going with solar at all, mainly because I can't make an informed choice. I can't rely on my plumber since he will just install the system that he's used to.

Are there consultants you can engage to advise you on what system to use? I am at early stages of a total refurb of a period house. Plenty of room on south facing roof for solar if needed and not listed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

a148pro wrote: »
    Unfortunately its double dutch to me. To be honest, at this point I'm thinking of not going with solar at all, mainly because I can't make an informed choice. I can't rely on my plumber since he will just install the system that he's used to.

Are there consultants you can engage to advise you on what system to use? I am at early stages of a total refurb of a period house. Plenty of room on south facing roof for solar if needed and not listed.

A period property will have a higher heat load than a new house. Yes there are consultants. Any off them worth their fee will advise against this type of heat pump in favour of a conventional type. Assuming they can see your plans to reduce heat loss etc warrant such a system.

Is the problem that you need very well insulated and airtight house in order for the technology to work effectively?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jasper1422

Hi All. I'm looking for some advice on Thermodynamic Solar Panels.

I got a price from Thermasol and LVP . Thermasol Seem to be cheaper . Just wondering what system i should go for?

We are a family of 5. 2 adults and 3 kids. Both have recommend 250l to 300l tank. I will probably go with 300L just to have enough!!

Just wondering whats the latest figures for running cost for either system?

Thanks in advance

Average is 3.91 kWh per 24hr period, averaged over a 2 week period in sunny august.

Considerably better than before, but stil quite high tbh, nearly 4. I would have hoped for 2-3, as ~4 was our usage on electric showers previously. Now, our showers are nicer, we installed larger showerheads, so there is more water volume etc, and we don't boil a kettle to heat water for a shave anymore. But still, no saving to note yet. Not sure will it be more effective to use this thermo system over winter to heat water, or the boiler.

I will monitor next now over a longer period, maybe october to end of january to get winter numbers.

Reporting further. The cold snap last week has made me switch the thermo system off, and go back to our oil burner for heating hot water. It used an average of 10kwH a day for the week. I can hear it in the attic, pump is running 24x7, when it's -3C out there. Inefficient. An immersion heater would have better results. Very disappointed that we trusted our plumbers recommendation on this. We were mid-build at the time, with 1000's of other decisions to make, and there was not enough information available to make an informed choice ourselves. Currently looking for ways to uninstall it and recoup some of the cost, because as far as I can see, it does not behave as advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

Reporting further. The cold snap last week has made me switch the thermo system off, and go back to our oil burner for heating hot water. It used an average of 10kwH a day for the week. I can hear it in the attic, pump is running 24x7, when it's -3C out there. Inefficient. An immersion heater would have better results. Very disappointed that we trusted our plumbers recommendation on this. We were mid-build at the time, with 1000's of other decisions to make, and there was not enough information available to make an informed choice ourselves. Currently looking for ways to uninstall it and recoup some of the cost, because as far as I can see, it does not behave as advertised.

I've said it on this thread multiple times before, they're a pile of crap and they should be banned. They are neither a solar panel or a heat pump and have left a trail of families 1000's of euros worse off. They had their time in New Zealand many moons ago until the word spread and they died out there. There's much better options to spend that money on if you want to go green and produce hot water.

jasper1422 wrote: »
    Hi All. I'm looking for some advice on Thermodynamic Solar Panels.

I got a price from Thermasol and LVP . Thermasol Seem to be cheaper . Just wondering what system i should go for?

We are a family of 5. 2 adults and 3 kids. Both have recommend 250l to 300l tank. I will probably go with 300L just to have enough!!

Just wondering whats the latest figures for running cost for either system?

Thanks in advance

Just bumping up before I decide what to do !

I guess you didn't read what we posted then. Don't do it.

LVP installed ours, and it's not working so far. It cost 3500 euro, and it's costing us an extra couple of hundred on every electricity bill since it was installed. 
    I've mine switched off. They are insisting on looking at / tuning the system again when I asked for a refund and removal. Arranging that in the interests of getting it undone. Won't get most of that cost back I'd say.

• Advertisement

LVP installed ours, and it's not working so far. It cost 3500 euro, and it's costing us an extra couple of hundred on every electricity bill since it was installed. 
    I've mine switched off. They are insisting on looking at / tuning the system again when I asked for a refund and removal. Arranging that in the interests of getting it undone. Won't get most of that cost back I'd say.

Its not that I didn't read what you posted but there are lots of different views on them and running costs. A few people I talk to that have them fitted say €250 a year is the most they spend on electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

jasper1422 wrote: »
    Its not that I didn't read what you posted but there are lots of different views on them and running costs. A few people I talk to that have them fitted say €250 a year is the most they spend on electricity

Seems what you really want is someone to come along and tell you how fantastic they are to back up your own reasoning that you want to buy one. I'm sure one of the salesmen will be along shortly to re-enforce your logic.

You've already had genuine feedback from one poster who used them and removed them and I've laid out multiple times in this thread why they are so poor from a refrigeration engineering standpoint but you seem to have 3.5k burning a hole in your pocket so knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Very interesting

I was seriously considering installing one a few years ago

Glad I didn't now.

Condenser wrote: »
    Seems what you really want is someone to come along and tell you how fantastic they are to back up your own reasoning that you want to buy one. I'm sure one of the salesmen will be along shortly to re-enforce your logic.

You've already had genuine feedback from one poster who used them and removed them and I've laid out multiple times in this thread why they are so poor from a refrigeration engineering standpoint but you seem to have 3.5k burning a hole in your pocket so knock yourself out.

Thanks all for feedback. Thought it seemed to good to be true.

Can anyone else recommend any other good source for heating hot water thats more affordable .

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭The devils

I have mine 4 years now..and tbh I've only ever had 2 issues..a capitor went and I'm having another issue as I write this. However it will be resolved soon fingers...
    If u can remember mine run at approx 220 a year..Great system..

That's terrible..have they said what's wrong..I mean the system comes of the shelf as a complete package..if I can help call me and I can tell you my issues and remedies if that helps..3500 is a lot of mone year..

They ‘tuned’ it (put more refrigeration gas into the system, no difference whatsoever) and are coming back in february to review. If I get nowhere in February it will be solicitor next.

Can I Ask the people who say they cost 220 per year, or 250 per year how you are measuring that?

I have a monitor on the socket it uses, and I record every unit, day and night rate. My cost per unit. So i know it is costing ~60 euro per month at the moment. 360 per year. Astronomical compared even to an immersion with a thermostat.

Are you doing the same? Measuring the units?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They ‘tuned’ it (put more refrigeration gas into the system, no difference whatsoever) and are coming back in february to review. If I get nowhere in February it will be solicitor next.

Can I Ask the people who say they cost 220 per year, or 250 per year how you are measuring that?

I have a monitor on the socket it uses, and I record every unit, day and night rate. My cost per unit. So i know it is costing ~60 euro per month at the moment. 360 per year. Astronomical compared even to an immersion with a thermostat.

Are you doing the same? Measuring the units?

??

60 per month is 720 per year.

NIMAN wrote: »
    ??

60 per month is 720 per year.

Sorry, it’s late. per bill, not per month. We are billed bi monthly.

• Advertisement

Has any ever had hot water but temperature reading lower a lot lower..I think mine might have a build up of crap and that's why I'm getting wrong readings..either that or panel is faulty..??

Advertisement