Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LVP Thermodynamic solar Panels

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

The devils wrote: »
    Mine came pre charged, but leaked. Then I got a certified refrigeration engineer to replace the necessary gas required.

LVP do not come pre-charged as the panel has to be piped from the heat pump to the roof panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭The devils

shane 007 wrote: »
    LVP do not come pre-charged as the panel has to be piped from the heat pump to the roof panel.

sorry your telling me this, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

sorry your telling me this, why?

'Cos it's nice to share safety information on public forums. Somebody who reads this may wish to know about safety standards & could raise potential concerns with their prospective installer.

'Cos it's nice to share safety information on public forums. Somebody who reads this may wish to know about safety standards & could raise potential concerns with their prospective installer.
    I was wondering why you sent the statement below...
    LVP do not come pre-charged as the panel has to be piped from the heat pump to the roof panel
    I never bought mine from the company known as LVP.
    FYI was quoted by the company above for precharged system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

I disagree. I do warranty work for a few manufacturers & they do not operate as you describe. There are only a handful of component manufacturers globally for the various components. I know of one where they switched from Italy to China, there was huge number of failures & they had to switch back with their tail between their legs. It ended up costing them a fortune in cost & a lot of reputation damage. They are one of the biggest players globally & there was no insurance in place.

Precisely what I said if you are referring to product failures! But insurance is not publicised normally so would not be on public record unless you have true inside knowledge. If they risked their company for the lack of suitable insurance then they deserve to incur losses and the consequences. Shareholders in a public company would end up suing the directors over such actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

Not sure about that ?? But even if you did so what. Have you never put a new tyre on a bicycle before or would simply go to halfords or the like ?
    Let's be honest alot of this installation is simple. I personally assessed what needed to be done and did it more economically.
    Now can we get back to unit itself ?

my point was i am not registered gas installer so if i touch a gas boiler i end up in court and get fined. my other point was that no matter how good a system is (and have my doubts about this one) if the people installing it are not properly trained it not worth getting. and finally equating the instillation of a solar thermal or air to water heat pump to the diy job of changing the tyre on a bike is one of the reasons that there are so many treads on boards about systems that are not working properly.

dathi wrote: »
    my point was i am not registered gas installer so if i touch a gas boiler i end up in court and get fined. my other point was that no matter how good a system is (and have my doubts about this one) if the people installing it are not properly trained it not worth getting. and finally equating the instillation of a solar thermal or air to water heat pump to the diy job of changing the tyre on a bike is one of the reasons that there are so many treads on boards about systems that are not working properly.

Point taken.
    Why do you have your doubts about a system like this or the nous. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

Point taken.
    Why do you have your doubts about a system like this or the nous. ?

my concerns are with lvp as they refuse to publish any certified test results to back up the claims they make about their system. the only test cert they have is for the roof panel tested as a solar collector and that component tested as a solar collector has the worst test results of any collector on the market. at least the nous has certified data on which you can make a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Our system is an energie thermodynamic, we've had it in for about 18 months now and the only complain p complaint I would have would be an element of noise (low vibration type noise when it's running) as ours is located in the loft and when you stand directly underneath you can hear it.

We have had no issues with the hot water supply at any time of year, of course it runs a little longer to re heat in the colder months after the kids have a bath for example, but that's only to be expected due to the heat exchanger nature of the system.

Running costs I would estimate to be around 35/40p a day average over the course of the year, and that's for a family of 4 running the shower, baths, dishes (we don't use the dishwasher). Technically ours costs us pretty much nothing to run as we have a 4kW PV system on the roof! We were using oil for heating water previously.

Just disappointed that at the minute these systems aren't included in the RHI, hopefully time will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pinpongpaddy

Hello all
    I am considering installing one of these panels.

I would like to thank Braka and Shane for all the useful input so far.
    I would like to ask Braka how he has handled the ice forming on the panel.
    Is it a hazard? falling on you?
    In the event that the compressor fails would the panel turn into a block of ice?
    You can tell I am no science buff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 braka

Hello all
    I am considering installing one of these panels.

I would like to thank Braka and Shane for all the useful input so far.
    I would like to ask Braka how he has handled the ice forming on the panel.
    Is it a hazard? falling on you?
    In the event that the compressor fails would the panel turn into a block of ice?
    You can tell I am no science buff!

Hi Pinpongpaddy,

So far the panel has never had a block of ice on it...most we had (since installation) was a layer of frost and some light snow....which melted away without any problem.

Not an expert when it comes to compressors.. but if it fails it won't turn into a block of ice!!...it just wont heat water any more.. (Its really works like a fridge)
    It is based on having an electricity supply .....so it can be turned off when you go on holidays with no problems.

I have more data to put up here (spreadsheet) but when I tried to, I wasn't allowed as I don't have enough posts !!!
    Boards changed the criteria (due to spammers) so I have to make a few more comments before I get the green light.

For your info, The first year we used 1162 units of electricity...cost approx €208 or €4/week.
    The 2nd year we used 1122 units, cost €202 or €3.88/week.

The reason for the 2nd year reduction was that one of our college students was abroad 5 months and the other was abroad 1 month.

It is noticeable on the spreadsheet (and it will be available as soon as I have enough posts) that when there was only 2 people in the house, we were only using an average of 16 units/week which is only €2.88/wk.... really good value I think!

Hi guys. System running very well..a year now and just checked amp meter this morning 846 units. I think it's a really great system, very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,113 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can I ask who you got it from and the cost?

PM if you don't want to make it public.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭andy73

I'm interested as well. can you PM me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pinpongpaddy

Braka
    belatedly
    thanks very much for your reply. I will probably be going ahead with some kind of "thermodynamic" hot water solution, and will post when I do.
    There seem to be more solutions coming on stream:-
    xxx.magicthermodynamicbox.com
    is an interesting site

the little magic thermodynamic box seems what I want... and to address my concerns i.e. reusing the existing the existing tank (I have a new-ish stainless steel tank factory insulated) and they seems to have thought at noise and vibrations which is good also as the hotpress is near the bedrooms.

A good question actually for current owners.. is there any problem if you shut down the unit at night to avoid any noise from the hotpress :)

andy73 wrote: »
    the little magic thermodynamic box seems what I want... and to address my concerns i.e. reusing the existing the existing tank (I have a new-ish stainless steel tank factory insulated) and they seems to have thought at noise and vibrations which is good also as the hotpress is near the bedrooms.

A good question actually for current owners.. is there any problem if you shut down the unit at night to avoid any noise from the hotpress :)

Hi guya. Was wondering is the magic box similar to the solar box ??
    The noise from my unit is a very low , plus its downstairs. At the beginning I was going to purchase a unit that would be in my attic but I didn't have an insulated tank so I decided to purchase every thing all together to keep cost minimum.

it looks exactly like solar box.. even if noise is very low I do not think I would stand it during the night.. This is why I was wondering if unit can be switched off during the night.. The water in the cylinder should not loose too much of its temperature, but just wondering if there are no technical issues with the box if switched off every night. I'll ask the guys selling the solar box..

it looks exactly like solar box.. even if noise is very low I do not think I would stand it during the night.. This is why I was wondering if unit can be switched off during the night.. The water in the cylinder should not loose too much of its temperature, but just wondering if there are no technical issues with the box if switched off every night. I'll ask the guys selling the solar box..

Andy, couldn't imagine there been an issue with switching unit off. Better safe than sorry.
    Personally I am glad its downstairs as I am a very light sleeper and when unit switches off it can make a louder noise, not much but enough to wake you.

Andy, couldn't imagine there been an issue with switching unit off. Better safe than sorry.
    Personally I am glad its downstairs as I am a very light sleeper and when unit switches off it can make a louder noise, not much but enough to wake you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭deeno1975

We have the Energie system in the hot press for over a year and are very happy with it. The hot press is beside the bedrooms and there is very little noise or vibration coming from it. Also once the water is hot the system it does not come on therefore if there is no hot water use at night then the system will remain off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 whitenoise

deeno1975 wrote: »
    We have the Energie system in the hot press for over a year and are very happy with it. The hot press is beside the bedrooms and there is very little noise or vibration coming from it. Also once the water is hot the system it does not come on therefore if there is no hot water use at night then the system will remain off anyway.

I'm the same, I've had the energie system and there is a negligible amount of noise off it, it is right beside our bedroom and it doesn't bother me at all. I'm really happy with the system

Many thanks for the feedback, I spoke with the LPV guys and they said it is absolutely no problem to be switched off over the night using a timer, as it would not need more than 9h to produce the amount of hot water need it...

Anyone have installed the retrofit system with Solar box only.. I have a fairly new factory insulated cylinder which I thought is about 200l as recommended by LPV.. but it is only 117 l. Would that be enough for a family (2 adults and 2 kids).

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

Anyone have installed the retrofit system with Solar box only.. I have a fairly new factory insulated cylinder which I thought is about 200l as recommended by LPV.. but it is only 117 l. Would that be enough for a family (2 adults and 2 kids).

The retro fit solar boxes are a bit on the noisy side to have in the hot press, we usually fit them in the attic. Even then they can be noisy and need to be left free standing on the rubber stands with the kit to prevent vibration noise. The tank with compressor is more suitable to the hot press and are a lot quieter.

Your cylinder size would depend on your usage and shower types etc.

if fitted in the attic.. would it mean that I need to insulate the attic?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

if fitted in the attic.. would it mean that I need to insulate the attic?

You would need to insulate all pipework to the unit. I would assume the attic should have some insulation if it's not up to today standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Southie2015

Hi - renovating a place in Connemara which needs a total refit and looking at heating and hot water options and wondered if anyone had any recommendations?
    Since we are going basically from scratch (there's currently no boiler or central heating) we'll be doing thorough insulation and have the option to put in under floor heating - but in terms of what actually provides the heat we're open minded.
    We're off mains gas, and would like to avoid oil, but unbiased recommendations on renewables seems pretty hard to come by - people just recommend whatever they happen to be hawking.
    Are there any renewables that can reliably run central heating and that will not cost a fortune to install and run? Thermodynamic looks potentially promising but can't find much info on it being used to run central heating and suspect the costs of the extra panels required and electricity to run the compressor would make it uneconomical.
    Would we just be better off with a condensing oil boiler, solar water heating and a few solid-fuel stoves - maybe one with a back boiler (house is three bed, total area of the property is approx 180m2).
    Any suggestions/recommendations much appreciated.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Anyone ever have a gas leak from their unit? Had the magnesium thingy changed yesterday, and the guy doing it said there was a problem with the unit. Wasn't kicking in, might be a gas leak. It's more the callout charge I'm angry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 renguy

Hi beertons could i ask what you paid? as I have had been charged €150 for callout (to galway) and am just curious

Advertisement