Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Tiger must-have items

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

chrismon wrote: »
    €250 minimum gift for a wedding present wrote on the invitation .

Is that true? I never saw anything like that and if I had they'd be getting nothing. The cheek!

I did get the wedding list at Brown Thomas the odd time with everything costing a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Daft Dave's monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Converting your garage and attic (velux windows required) into rooms because some lad down the pub said it added 100k to your gaf's value
    In fairness an attic conversion is a very practical solution to a growing family.
    I take your point re the barstooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Owldshtok wrote: »
    One-off impressive looking 8 bedroom stone cut mansion built in the middle of some flood plain fields but DIDN'T BUILD A GARAGE for the expensive car or jeep left to rot outside in the Irish weather.

I don't think a house was built with a garage in Ireland for 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

beertons wrote: »
    Having an au pair.

Dosen't everyone have an auld pair? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

My Christians Kitchen complete with Aga and over the top chandelier!

I was going to try and say something to defend this but to be honest not even I can come up with some BS to make it sound better. Was a lovely kitchen though ... these days I have a Cash and Carry one and am considering replacing it with an IKEA one

toexpress wrote: »
    My Christians Kitchen complete with Aga and over the top chandelier!

I was going to try and say something to defend this but to be honest not even I can come up with some BS to make it sound better. Was a lovely kitchen though ... these days I have a Cash and Carry one and am considering replacing it with an IKEA one

Are we talking kitchens in different houses here or if you do go for the IKEA kitchen, will that be the third kitchen in the same house? Because that would be very Celtic Tigerish!

No kitchens in different house. Sold the big house in 08 moved back to my flat early 09 then moved back to Ireland last summer and this house was (very Celtic Tiger here) one I had bought to rent and now I live in it but the kitchen is crap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

toexpress wrote: »
    No kitchens in different house. Sold the big house in 08 moved back to my flat early 09 then moved back to Ireland last summer and this house was (very Celtic Tiger here) one I had bought to rent and now I live in it but the kitchen is crap

Ah, non-celtic tiger then. Different species altogether! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

eth0 wrote: »
    If you went to buy bricks, cement, tiles and a bit of timber you could probably build it yourself for less than 15k.

I know someone who spotted a plumber she knew passing the house, so she called him straight away cause she wanted a job done, when he answered the phone he said there would be a 50e call-out fee

did he say that he would be able to call in straightaway to look at the problem? then fair enough a €50 call out fee was a bit ridiculous. He could have being in the middle of another job 20 miles away getting fittings and on a deadline etc and if he had to call there out of his way on the way home then €50 call out fee is fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Graham Knuttel paintings. Since the demise of the Tiger, there's a whole village of sweatshop orphans in China who know nothing else but to paint people with big noses looking sideways.

At least with Louis Le Brocquy dying today, some people have just seen a 15% bump in their "investment".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

"you and your Money" with Eddie Hobbs grinning mug on it every month. Usually it would be him showering himself with rubies or getting gold plated paving stones when converting your front garden into extra parking spaces for the 4x4.

Things started to go downhill when the cheeky grin wasn't visible on the front of the magazine anymore, and he was advising all and sundry to buy south african kougarands. after that the cover had him stuffing 50 euro notes into his mattress and sweating nervously.

Last I saw it had a picture of eddie trying to flog goods at a flea market. He had 3 day stubble and was printed on photocopied a4 pages and stapled together.

Sad times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I remember going looking for a €10k-€15k kitchen. The head-up-her-own-ass lady in the shop told me their kitchens started at about €70k. We left quickly.

i bet her goose is cooked now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

1966 wrote: »
    Wasn't this when everyone became a wine connesseur ?

no they became wine CON-ASS -ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

no they became wine CON-ASS -ers.

Wine the only drink were people talk bollox BEFORE they drink it.

Euugh yeah that chateau came from a good year, it has a full body, you can taste the fruit of the loom as you can with all Australian plonk.

Guinness is simple, its either a good pint or not.

red sean wrote: »
    Ah, non-celtic tiger then. Different species altogether! :p

huh?

Cobble stone gardens, which is now causing a big problem, in some areas.

Apparently they are not allowing heavy rain, as today, to drain naturally into the soil and causing to much of the water to flow all at once into a stretched road drainage system.

It was different during the celtic tiger when we were all drinking and boiling our spuds in Ballygowan water, we didn't need drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

speaking of wine, fancy mechanised wine openers that cost 70 euro.
    gravity defying wine holders that cost 20 quid a pop. And buying 6 of them.
    corkscrews and foldy wine holders were obviously obsolete peasant tools.

Also, the asshattery that passed for attempted connoiseur-ness/snobbery, like going into bars and having conversations like this:

"Excuse me what kind of white wine do you have?"
    "Well madam, we have a chablis, a sauvignon blanc and a chenin blanc"
    "Do you have a chilean white?"
    "Yes the sauvignon blanc is chilean"
    "I'll have that" (Turns away to her mouldy middle aged friend) "Chilean is so hot right now". Friend nods in approval and says "Yes, I believe the old world wines are on a downward trajectory from which they may never recover"

I mean, what the f*ck is that? I hope that silly bint drowned in a vat of blossom hill

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

blackbox wrote: »
    Apple branded electronic devices

That wasnt really celtic tiger though, i mean everyone had an i pod but they were never expensive.

The apple products have only really boomed post celtic tiger and everyone and their mother still seems able to afford them

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    That wasnt really celtic tiger though, i mean everyone had an i pod but they were never expensive.

The apple products have only really boomed post celtic tiger and everyone and their mother still seems able to afford them

just thinking that today when looking for a new phone and considering an iphone..not after I seen the prices

• Advertisement

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    just thinking that today when looking for a new phone and considering an iphone..not after I seen the prices

Are the deals not the same. You need a bill pay because of the data deals for the smart phones.

I had a choice of the Iphone, the Galaxy, HTC all for the same price. But i chose the Galaxy because i pirate and you never know about pirate music and apples.

There's been a few times on this thread where things that were new on the scene coincidentally at the same time the Celtic Tiger was roaring so were thrown in as being a must have CT item. Someone earlier mentioned wearing a bluetooth receiver on your ear for God's sake. Hardly a "look at me, I'm rich" item

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Its not the mammy that buys em now the latest codology is giving a junkie 50e to 'show up' with whatever item you request but in most cases it will be an iphone or a set of Dr. Dre beats

Denby tableware
    newbridge cutlery
    nicholas mosse pottery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

a dyson hoover ever shed has one

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,073 ✭✭✭✭beertons

anthonyos wrote: »
    a dyson hoover ever shed has one

What? I bloody love my dyson. Essential when you have a dog, baby or asthma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Nothing excessive bout a Dyson!

More a staple I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

1966 wrote: »
    Nothing excessive bout a Dyson!

More a staple I'd say

One thing I noticed during the tiger was that people wouldn't spend money on good quality stuff like a Dyson and bought cheap shoite instead because they could afford to replace it along with a heightened sense of trust in big companies 'ah sure, they don't make poor quality hoovers in this modern day and age'. Loads of these pieces of rubbish now for sale at car boot sales, seen one lad bring about 10 of them and he couldn't give them away for free

eth0 wrote: »
    One thing I noticed during the tiger was that people wouldn't spend money on good quality stuff like a Dyson and bought cheap shoite instead because they could afford to replace it along with a heightened sense of trust in big companies 'ah sure, they don't make poor quality hoovers in this modern day and age'. Loads of these pieces of rubbish now for sale at car boot sales, seen one lad bring about 10 of them and he couldn't give them away for free

There's nothing sadder than a Henry Hoover dumped in a skip. He's there with his big happy face. If only he knew where he was going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Delusions of grandeur for some Irish women during the boom... Thinking they were Carrie Bradshaw or Samantha Jone from Sex and the City. Cringe :pac:

Advertisement