Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Tiger must-have items

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

This is one thing I never got.

We're living in a country where it pisses rain all the time & people insist on paying top dollar to buy water in fancy bottles.

Unreal/Sureal.......whatever:rolleyes:

AND now were expected to pay for tap water!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

All the afore mentioned. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

-Bank ringing you asking would you like a loan to go on holiday or buy a car.
    (I had 2 cars that mostly worked I bought for under 1k)

-Mortgage approval for 400k when you when you earn 30k and they will ring you back in a couple of weeks when you answer your having a laugh right?

-Being told renting is dead money.....

-Being told my house went up by 10k this month.

-Plumbers with 100euro call-out charge to put silicon seal around your bath. When it was the trap all along. coonts

-Commuting from Loais to Dublin as its the new commuter town

-Changing your address because Saggart is posher than Citywest and Killiney is posher than Ballybrack

-Employed heroin addicts (news story during the boom) They were being hired due to a shortage of workers. I can see a heroin addict on a forklift now.

-Buying a spare house as an investment.

-Using a handbag as a form of self esteem

-Organic everything sourced from natural sheep on some obscure island.

-Changing your car every year to the new trendy

-4 day weeks

-Bars where a guiness costs 5:60

-Irish who refuse to work in Mcdonalds

That settles it Im old and cranky:rolleyes:

People who wear sunglasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭skinny90

Having 3-4credit cards and buying for bigger stuff on Hp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

young tradesmen doing up their work vans with alloys, bull bars and stupid spot lights

• Registered Users Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The Kelly's

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Christmas bonus on the dole.

Some joke that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Have a E20k kitchen and eat takeout every night.

I remember going looking for a €10k-€15k kitchen. The head-up-her-own-ass lady in the shop told me their kitchens started at about €70k. We left quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I remember going looking for a €10k-€15k kitchen. The head-up-her-own-ass lady in the shop told me their kitchens started at about €70k. We left quickly.

My place came with a kitchen. Result!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,073 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Having more than 2 drug dealers on speed dial, and having stuff on tick with all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

RoverZT wrote: »
    Christmas bonus on the dole.

Some joke that was.

Agreed. I had a period of serious illness during the boom years and was on illness benefit for a short while. I was like "What the actual fúck?" when I got double the normal amount on Christmas week of that time period. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Rent is Dead money.....that defo up their with the ultimate definition of that era.

also prooves just how bad this country was (and still is) at maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Wasn't this when everyone became a wine connesseur ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

1966 wrote: »
    No, some morons were on first name terms with a somalier (spelling?).

You'd want a kitchen with walls and a roof for that!

Rent is Dead money.....that defo up their with the ultimate definition of that era.

also prooves just how bad this country was (and still is) at maths.

The Rent is dead money line was true for a while. If you were in an old council house up here it was £50 per month more for a mortgage than to rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

You'd want a kitchen with walls and a roof for that!

If you went to buy bricks, cement, tiles and a bit of timber you could probably build it yourself for less than 15k.

I know someone who spotted a plumber she knew passing the house, so she called him straight away cause she wanted a job done, when he answered the phone he said there would be a 50e call-out fee

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

eth0 wrote: »
    If you went to buy bricks, cement, tiles and a bit of timber you could probably build it yourself for less than 15k.

I know someone who spotted a plumber she knew passing the house, so she called him straight away cause she wanted a job done, when he answered the phone he said there would be a 50e call-out fee

:O that's outrageous did she pay?

codrulz wrote: »
    :O that's outrageous did she pay?

no said she saw him driving past and told him politely to feck off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

1966 wrote: »

There was a lot of coffee snobbery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭blackbox

Apple branded electronic devices

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

blackbox wrote: »
    Apple branded electronic devices

-Posted from my iPad.

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

€250 minimum gift for a wedding present wrote on the invitation .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Lunch and a 200 euro wine in michelin star restaurants on your civil service expense account credit card.

Dont forget to leave a 30% tip.

chrismon wrote: »
    €250 minimum gift for a wedding present wrote on the invitation .

the local primary school passed around letters to all past pupils requesting for donations to build an extension and they were looking for the same minimum amount.

now the school is about 5-10 times the size it was when I started there, probably at least 5 teachers now instead of 2 or 3 and only slightly more pupils. maybe they have 70-80 now where as before they had 50-60. before all this codology started there was a bleeding heart sob story in the paper about the 'deplorable' conditions of the school. children had to lift the old school desks out of the room for when the dancing teacher called around and this was supposed to be awful. feck it was nearly the best craic we had all day and a welcome change from sitting in the seat being forced to learn utterly useless tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

and it could be a good few years before the current lot of them stop working.

Every second house with a big massive American tackfest of flashing LED's outside it, looks awful
    Now you cant say anything to that can you :) ? plus its US,some skill here.
    but at the end yeah waste of money,unless thats your work :o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAXMtUCcp7o&feature=player_embedded#!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

no said she saw him driving past and told him politely to feck off

damn right!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

One-off impressive looking 8 bedroom stone cut mansion built in the middle of some flood plain fields but DIDN'T BUILD A GARAGE for the expensive car or jeep left to rot outside in the Irish weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Converting your garage and attic (velux windows required) into rooms because some lad down the pub said it added 100k to your gaf's value

Advertisement