Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Tiger must-have items

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

apart from the keeping up with the jons, the folks trying to BE th jones and ae never happy...

one neighbour in particular amongest his collection of mootorbikes ( harleys mostly ) had TVR's mercs bmws lexus and others, evry 100k he made it spent about 50-60 on a new car ( barely if ever driven ) 10k on drgs & such, then te rest headin off to thailand or similr for a month or two... needless to say t was handy enough gettin to drive his toys and look after the house when he was away with the misses as a kid but when hi lady wrote off hr brad new merc he got her a new one the same day ( nobody knew if she'd drive ever again after the shock )

this same guy just has the 1 car, no job ( living off rented proppertys ) and has only 1 holiday a year abroad.

ive no sympathy whatsoever.... though i do wanna drive that old tvr again... they are quite litterally the worst car in popular production but some craic in wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Pdfile wrote: »
    ive no sympathy whatsoever...

Did he knock on door of the begrudging mean spirited kid up the road who he used to lend his sports car to looking for sympathy?

Maybe he is happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Pdfile wrote: »
    apart from the keeping up with the jons, the folks trying to BE th jones and ae never happy...

one neighbour in particular amongest his collection of mootorbikes ( harleys mostly ) had TVR's mercs bmws lexus and others, evry 100k he made it spent about 50-60 on a new car ( barely if ever driven ) 10k on drgs & such, then te rest headin off to thailand or similr for a month or two... needless to say t was handy enough gettin to drive his toys and look after the house when he was away with the misses as a kid but when hi lady wrote off hr brad new merc he got her a new one the same day ( nobody knew if she'd drive ever again after the shock )

this same guy just has the 1 car, no job ( living off rented proppertys ) and has only 1 holiday a year abroad.

ive no sympathy whatsoever.... though i do wanna drive that old tvr again... they are quite litterally the worst car in popular production but some craic in wet weather.

The fact that we had so much money that spelling and grammar suddenly became completely unnecessary. In fact, being inarticulate and using txt spk became cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

timberland wrote: »
    does anyone remember the water called "bling" they sold in Superquinn for about 60 euro for 750ml (not a joke btw)

You'd want to be some stupid, sick in the head A-hole to buy that? :pac:
    For awhile, every blocklayer just out of school seemed to be driving a BMW 3 series. Typically a Paddy-spec model with no extras and a crappy 1.6 litre engine.

I'm glad they're all getting a reality check now.

Big thick heads on the lot of them! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

The ones I miss the most from this era were those that insisted on getting in a €30,000 kitchen and then running around telling all their 'mates' the best places they go to, for eating out!:P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Weekend "spa" pampering breaks.

I like spa breaks :(

I like them even better if I can get them on citydeal though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Paparazzo wrote: »
    What's more annoying?

Celtic Tiger house buyers that used to go on about how much more their house was worth each month as if they were some sort of business genius?

People that never bought that go on about how they rented during the celtic tiger as if they were some sort of business genius?

Missing an option.

Those who really wanted/needed to buy a house during the boom, completely baulked at the prices which they couldn't afford, did a small bit of due diligence (i.e. finding out what compound interest is), didn't apply for a jumbo mortgage, rented because they had too and now don't carry a massive debt thus dodging a fatal financial bullet albeit unintentionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Missing an option.

Those who really wanted/needed to buy a house during the boom, completely baulked at the prices which they couldn't afford, did a small bit of due diligence (i.e. finding out what compound interest is), didn't apply for a jumbo mortgage, rented because they had too and now don't carry a massive debt thus dodging a fatal financial bullet albeit unintentionally.

If they go on about it, they fall into catorgory 2. Doesn't matter the reasons they rented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Labourers going to work, starts to rain, so can't work the afternoon, going off to Show Rooms and putting deposits of Jeeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Missing an option.

A bloke I work with bought a house two years ago. He showed it to me online before he bought it. Considering the dip was just kicking off, I asked if he thought it was wise buying something that would probably lose money. he said he knew it was going to lose money but it didn't matter because the mortgage was affordable and he was going to live in it for a minimum of 20 years with his wife.

That's the right attitude. He was buying a home and all he looked at was the repayments and the standard of the home. If the two matched up, he didn't care about the rest.

There was another girl I knew. She was still living at home in her thirties. Her siblings had their own place. She borrowed money from family and got a huge mortgage for a small one bedroomed place. Just because it was stupid not to get on the "property ladder". I believe the phrase I heard was "when you invest in property, your money is as safe as houses". She found the place on a tv show that brought prospective buyers around properties to find their dream flat. Then made copies and gave them to everyone. You can see her write her life away again and again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Did anyone else love reading the take 5 section in the irish times on a thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

the extraordinary lives of Generation Bling

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/the-extraordinary-lives-of-generation-bling-2614547.html

".....the example of a Ballsbridge socialite who shelled out €45,000 on bedding plants for her son's Communion party in a marquee at the height of the boom (on the morning of the big event one of her minions was spotted hairdrying the plants to get the flowers to bloom)....."

He reached for the sky
    John Meagher profiles Garrett Kelleher, whose 150-storey skyscraper dream came to an end this week as the last roar of the Celtic Tiger fades

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/he-reached-for-the-sky-2382056.html

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

dvcireland wrote: »
    the extraordinary lives of Generation Bling

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/the-extraordinary-lives-of-generation-bling-2614547.html

".....the example of a Ballsbridge socialite who shelled out €45,000 on bedding plants for her son's Communion party in a marquee at the height of the boom (on the morning of the big event one of her minions was spotted hairdrying the plants to get the flowers to bloom)....."

I feel nauseous reading that link, sickening what some people did in the last decade

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

don't forget the number of 'interior decorators' that were around.
    Hang a lovely designer curtain and throw in some ceramic statues on display columns counted as a high paying job in those days you know.

I so glad the tiger's dead and hope to never see the likes of it and it's worshippers ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I noticed some ridiculous celtic tiger prices on Groupon. Window cleaning at 40 Euro is apparently 60% off!!

Quote during the boom about a wedding attended by a former colleague of mine:

".....ah yeah it was a great wedding, the groom told that there were to be no coke on the day of the wedding, but that you could have as much as you'd like the next day....."

and no he wasn't Tony Montana

tony-montana1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

sideboard wrote: »
    The ones I miss the most from this era were those that insisted on getting in a €30,000 kitchen and then running around telling all their 'mates' the best places they go to, for eating out!:P

30k!!! who the hell forks out 30k on a kitchen, must have some kind of brain disease or something. ...assholism!

Jeez 30k is years salary to most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

30k!!! who the hell forks out 30k on a kitchen, must have some kind of brain disease or something. ...assholism!

How many meals would you have to cook in it before it would pay off vs eating out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

sideboard wrote: »

How much did your kitchen cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

eth0 wrote: »
    How many meals would you have to cook in it before it would pay off vs eating out
    If i was to pay to bring my wife and kids out for breakfast, lunch dinner and tea, 7 times a week it would pay for itself inside a year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Ah yes I spent it all ........I am a tosser. Blew it all... and now moaning about it.

When is this new bankruptcy legislation going through? Hurry Up allready.

"sips on a mocha with a smirk"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I'm just watching David McWilliams "The Popes Children" documentary online.

It is exactly the "Celtic Tiger must have items" - people having one car for commuting and a 4x4 for the odd trip to Woodies, people with multiple houses, buying off plans because it was a "smart investment", a stone bathtub for €20,000, a 3-bed apartment for €1.2 million (Holy crap!)

It's actually quite sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Expensive barbeque's that the purchaser would use once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Expensive barbeque's that the purchaser would use once. a year.

FYP

getting your wedding pics in VIP magazine magazine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Aglomerado wrote: »

Also, breakfast rolls! Haven't had one in years!

Had one this morning. Tasty as ever! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Lots of people going around talking to themselves in the street, car etc

Bluetooth headsets:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Missing an option.

Very much fits into...
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    People that never bought that go on about how they rented during the celtic tiger as if they were some sort of business genius?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

10 year old kids getting quad bikes and scramblers and not being grateful for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭phoenix833

One off houses bigger than 4000sq ft. complete with jacuzzi bath...

Advertisement