Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you want to be thinner?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I want to be thinner because I think I will be happier when I am thinner. The thing is, I have been thinner but even then I didn't feel thin. At my lowest weight I was 9 and a half stone and at my heaviest which was late last year, 13 stone. I am 5"7. The former should have been in the range of what would be normal weight for my height if BMI calculations are to be believed but I don't think BMI is an accurate measure of healthy weight for many groups of people-black people being among them. Why? Some studies have shown that we have higher bone density which generally makes us heavier. I looked gaunt at that weight ( At the time I still thought I was fat of course). I was consuming about 1000 calories per day and running five days a week at the crack of dawn. I still wasn't happy.

I have always admired all those people who could love themselves no matter what. I have just never been one of those people. I can't think of a time when I have been happy with my body shape or size. At my current weight of 11 stone and a couple of pounds, I am the not-so-proud owner of a size 8 torso with fast disappearing breasts and size 14 bum and legs. I forgot to add the size 12 arms. It doesn't matter what I do, short of plastic surgery, I can't change the proportions. I am always wearing large jackets to cover my arms and bum, which in turn makes me look even bigger. Losing weight means I can go down to a size 6 torso with no boobies but the most I can hope for on my lower body is a size 12 as I have wide hip bones. But with a size 6 torso, I look older on the face. There's no winning.

Alright, end of pity party.:o

On the upside, I recognise that I am lucky in so many other aspects of my life and I am grateful. So I guess I want to be thinner because...well, now that I have verbally vomited all over this thread, I am not actually sure why I want to be thinner.

Boys. That's probably why.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I used to be bigger (I was never huge though, only slightly chubby) then I went on a diet ate less and lost a lot of weight.
    Yes, it is nice to feel more confident in my clothes, but it didn't solve all my problems like I thought it would (unconsciously) I still got depressed just as often and had just as many bleak days.

I'm not saying weightloss is a bad goal to have, its not, I just worry that some women think it will solve their problems and sort their lives out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I want to be thinner because im insecure about the way i look. For me, i wouldnt be as down about myself as i usually am.

I would feel so different about myself, i think i would be happier! Id love to be thinner especially for my health aswell. I want to be fitter. I want to be able to show my arms and to enjoy the sun!

i know that sound weird but i cover up when im in the sun. People are lucky to see my elbows! :o

I just want to boost my confidence really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Two of my friends who used to be overweight have lost loads of weight - one's a size 6-8, the other is a size 10, and I was telling them (not in any dieting context, just came up in the conversation) about another friend of mine getting an awful dose of a vomiting bug recently, which had her sick for about a week and she lost half a stone. The two of them said they'd love it! I asked them if they were not aware of the fact that they had become slim... and they were wondering to themselves why they had reacted like that. One of them said: if you've ever been big, you'll always feel that way no matter how much weight you lose... which sucked I thought. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Dudess wrote: »
    One of them said: if you've ever been big, you'll always feel that way no matter how much weight you lose... which sucked I thought. :(

Just from my own perspective, I wouldn't carry that feeling around all the time. But I would have a tendency to get irrational if I spent a period of time eating poorly and not exercising. I'd convince myself I put on a stone or 2 when I haven't.

Right now I'm carrying an injury which has stopped me from running for nearly 2 months now. I'm still the same weight I was when I got injured, some things aren't as firm as they were but that's it. But in my head I'm tricking myself into thinking I've put on a stone or more.

It's an obsession that will always linger for me unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Two of my friends who used to be overweight have lost loads of weight - one's a size 6-8, the other is a size 10, and I was telling them (not in any dieting context, just came up in the conversation) about another friend of mine getting an awful dose of a vomiting bug recently, which had her sick for about a week and she lost half a stone. The two of them said they'd love it! I asked them if they were not aware of the fact that they had become slim... and they were wondering to themselves why they had reacted like that. One of them said: if you've ever been big, you'll always feel that way no matter how much weight you lose... which sucked I thought. :(

I think that often when we lose (or gain) a significant amount of weight it can take a while for our minds to catch up and re-adjust our body image to our new bodies.

Furthermore, It takes a lot of hard work and occasional periods of hunger to lose weight (anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is bull****ting). Often people who go through all that hardwork and watching every calorie that they take in find they cannot get out of 'diet mode' once the weight is gone.
    Thats why when people lose weight they often keep on lowering their target weight the further down they go because they still feel fat.

I was the same, initially I wanted to get to 9 and a half stone, then when I was that weight I wanted to be 9 stone, then I still felt fat and wanted to be 8 and a half. This is how people can fall into eating disorders so easily from what started out as just a diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭fataltragedy

Because I feel happier when I am - for one it's a lovely feeling going into a shop and picking up a pretty dress, or a nice pair of skinny jeans, and trying them on and thinking - yes, I look good in this!

But it's not all material; I genuienly in myself feel happier, more comfortable and 'lighter' (not just in a body weight sense!) when I'm skinnier. Struggling to fight the 'bad foods' at the moment and lose the extra few pounds though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I still kind of have this mentality. I have been sick a lot the last few weeks and haven't had much of an appetite, and of course my lack of eating was just making me feel worse. But I am a little delighted I'm not as hungry.

That said I got a tummy bug the other night and was so afraid of getting sick, and kept thinking of the irony that I wouldn't be able to count how many times I purposely did it!

When you have issues with your weight and appearance there is most likely never going to be a time when you feel like you are ideal unless you really work hard to address them, but honestly I don't think they ever fully go away. I've never been anywhere near skinny, even at my lowest weight. But I remember how heartbreaking it was talking to a friend of mine when she had dropped to 5 and a half stone, and she still thought she was fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

So my clothes would fit better. I actually want to be more toned, than thinner. I'm not totally unfit, I swim sometimes, cycle to work, walk a lot and eat not-too-bad (!), but my clothes have gone up a size each (from 10 to 12 in trousers/from 12 to 14 for tops; at 5ft 2" that's quite noticeable) in the last few years. I used go out dancing a lot more, now I stay in and eat nice things and drink nice stuff, while lounging about watching box sets till my eyes are square []-[]

I have managed to lose close to a stone since I made a concerted effort to eat better and drink a lot less but I've plateaued, so I'm thinking a dance class would be a good way to redress the balance.

I just need to my lazy bones off to a dance class. On my to-do [when not being a lazy sod] list. I bought dumbbells two years ago and turning occasional-use into regular-use is also on that aforementioned list :D

I just wouldn't mind it being more toned and having less cellulite - that would automatically take me down a stone I reckon and I think I would be happy enough with that.

Well guess what? Since writing this post I have lost exactly 1 stone and I am a million miles away from happy.

It doesn't help that I've injured my knee and am completely banned from any and all exercise :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I just wouldn't mind it being more toned and having less cellulite - that would automatically take me down a stone I reckon and I think I would be happy enough with that.

Well guess what? Since writing this post I have lost exactly 1 stone and I am a million miles away from happy.

It doesn't help that I've injured my knee and am completely banned from any and all exercise :(

Congrats on losing the weigh.

I hope to write the same thing here in a few weeks. I have about two stone to lose. Not sure how long it should take. Im about a week and a half into my diet and exercise.

I wanted to lose it a few months ago but with college and loads of work, couldn't motivate myself to work out.

I need something to get up for in the morning now that im finished college, looking for work and on the dole. So im finally starting.

For me, I want to look good again. I lost 5 stone about 3 three years ago. Since starting college, I put half back on. Not going there again. It was so easy to put it on but alot of work losing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

In the last 10 weeks or so I have lost 2st5lb with slimming world.

Why...

I don't want to be fat, I want to be healthy and give myself the best chance to have the much wanted, loved baby that we both desire.

To be able to put on a dress i the morning and feel and look amazing

To be fit and healthy and hopefully live to a very old age.

So that I feel sexy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Great work!

IM no longer feeling like a whale :D i do still want to drop below 10 stone, i m 10 stone 5 lbs now, so i still have more work to do. Ive started wearing short dresses and feel great.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭guernica

I want to be thinner because even though according to the BMI measurement I am healthy weight (BMI about 23), I am not healthy according to the hip-waist ratio and the whole "32 inch waist" measurement - and it shows. Skinny legs and hips and (proportionately) a big belly (35 inch waist vs 38 inch hips). So for health reasons and also because it's very difficult to get an flattering clothes with this shape.

I was about 59kg before and looked a lot better and more proportionate. 64kg now - decided I was sick of worrying about food and calories and was going to relax about it. Unfortunately I relaxed a bit too much and gained 5kg - so now trying to figure out the best way to lose it without getting obsessed with calories.

The only way you have a good hip waist ratio is if you have an hour glass figure or are pear shaped, I think only 8 percent of the population have an hour glass figure and 20 % have a pear shape, I think if I remember correctly over 40 percent have a straight (banana) shaped body others are apple shaped. Tbh no one can change their shape. Your can't be an apple shape and change in to an hour glass or pear shape without surgery.

I think to be an hour glass there has to be at least 9 inches difference between hip and waist and waist n bust, pear shape would be 9 + inches from hip and waist and less than 9inches from waist n bust.

I've only ever been 5 inches between waist n hip and 5 inches from waist n bust, which puts me in a straight body type and also means my waist n hip ratio isn't great.

I think the person who came u with hip waist ratio must have had an hour glass figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

The hip-waist ratio isn't all about shape or what's attractive. It's not like BMI, it's actually quite accurate for all builds and shapes and heights. It's about the amount of fat stored across the abdomen and how that fat is distributed, the fat that rests there is more likely to surround vital organs and impair their functioning and the cells there are more resistant to insulin which puts you at a higher risk of high blood pressure, diabetes, heart attacks and strokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

The 32" waist measurement isn't taken in relation to any other body part (so there's no ratio involved), it's a standalone measurement and a lot of doctors are beginning to accept that it's a more accurate measurement than BMI.

Unfortunately, people who fall above the measurements don't like to hear that, but the research is there. http://www.safefood.eu/Stop-The-Spread.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

There's the 32'' waist measurement and the waist-hip ratio which involves a ratio. Both are taken as more indicative of health than BMI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

There's the 32'' waist measurement and the waist-hip ratio which involves a ratio. Both are taken as more indicative of health than BMI.

Oh I know that, I was pointing out that the 32/37" thing didn't involve a ratio as some people seemed to be confusing the two.

I went on the calculator and If you type 38 inch waist and 48 inch hips you fall into low risk why because its a pear shape or hour glass shape in fact with that they are at lower risk than I am even though my waist is 30 inches and my hips are 36.

I typed in a 48 inch waist and 60 inch hips and still that fell into .82 where mine is .83

Even at my skinniest with a 27 inch waist I still only had 32inch hips. That's was .84 Any one with a straight body shape or apple body shape will not achieve a good hip waist ratio.

Anyone over a 32 inch waist is considered at risk on a general term however if your 6foot I wouldn't consider a 32 inch waist fat. At 4 foot 9 a 32 inch waist would be big.

BMI isn't even that accurate since muscle weighs more than fat.

The only way I could have a hip waist ratio of under .80 is to have surgery to fill out my hips or take in my waist, I was built straight even at a size 8.

As for diabetes I'm already at risk, I had 2 babies over 4kg, if I have another baby chances are I will get gestational diabetes. Also 2 grandparents had type 2 on top of that my mother has thyroid desease (which goes hand in hand with diabetes) 3 of my aunts also have it and a number of cousins, my daughter is type 1 diabetic. So yeh if anyone should be diabetic it's me. My grandmother died from a stroke. My bp is at the low side of normal just like my mothers normally I'm 102 over 62 I have been 96 over 54 and my lowest was 85 over 47. I never ever go higher than 112 over 70 the only time I did was at the start of labour and then it went normal again. I'm very clued in, my cholesterol is with normal range.

At the end of the day I die when I'm meant to, be it by heart attack, or being hit by a bus. I can only do as much as I can do and I can't change my hip waist ratio as that's the way I was made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Muscle does not weigh more than fat.

A lb of muscle is the same weight as a lb of fat.

A lb of muscle will however take up less space that a lb of fat.

M
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat.

A lb of muscle is the same weight as a lb of fat.

A lb of muscle will however take up less space that a lb of fat.

Perhaps phrased wrong but yep, you have a 6 foot 2 112kg muscle man and have a 112 kg 6foot 2 fat boy, both are said to be over weight. Yet man 1 has smaller body than man 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My hip ratio thing is .75.....whatever the hell that means :/

Lia_lia wrote: »
    My hip ratio thing is .75.....whatever the hell that means :/

Means you have a slim waist and a larger hip. Which is great.. Also means your possible pear shaped or hour glass, unlikely you are straight body shape. And your not apple shaped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

mine is .73-.75 i think...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Where are people measuring their waists?

Mine's 29" when you measure according to dressmaking measuring positions. ie the bit between your ribs and hip bone. I asked my GP and he said that's the right position medically as well.

I think a lot of people measure x amount away from their belly buttons, and belly buttons can be all over the place. Look at Tara Reid...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Das Kitty wrote: »

Mine's 29" when you measure according to dressmaking measuring positions. ie the bit between your ribs and hip bone. I asked my GP and he said that's the right position medically as well.

I think a lot of people measure x amount away from their belly buttons, and belly buttons can be all over the place. Look at Tara Reid...

the smallest part is what i've been told to do
    between ribs and hip i think that is too

http://store.pinareris.com/product_images/uploaded_images/sizing1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I just googled "Tara Reid belly button" ... Jayzus, that's weird alright. :confused:

(You'd know I was on study leave ... :o Googling some random celebrity's belly button -I've no idea who Tara Reid even is ... procrastination at its finest!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Means you have a slim waist and a larger hip. Which is great.. Also means your possible pear shaped or hour glass, unlikely you are straight body shape. And your not apple shaped.

Oh right. My body is pretty straight looking! I do kinda have hips though so I guess it's somewhat right!

• Advertisement

My waist is around an inch higher than my belly button. my belly button falls at the same height as teh top of my hip bone ( iliac crest) my waist is just under my 1st rib bone, This would be my smallest area.

Advertisement