Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Feeding in Restaurant

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

jluv wrote: »
    Breastfeeding in public is not something that should be considered a "choice" It is something that should naturally happen.It is what breasts were designed for;)

exactly,the babies got eat/drink,I wouldn't be disgusted by it,if the mother wants to do that way grand,she shouldn't have to go out in the cold/bathroom/her car to do it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

IcedJade wrote: »
    You said you want a debate but haven't answered any of my questions.

why weren't you comfortable?

I just answered that. I said it's not everyday I go to a restaurant and see a woman with her rack out. I would rather not see that. Why can't you just accept my opinion like I am accepting yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    I just answered that. I said it's not everyday I go to a restaurant and see a woman with her rack out. I would rather not see that. Why can't you just accept my opinion like I am accepting yours?

I highly doubt she had her entire rack out, likes been already said you'd see more cleavage on a night out, its just the idea oh having a baby attached to a boob is disgusting to you, how old are you? 12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Dudess in particular, shame on you, you're probably in or around 20/30 years older than me and you're telling me to "grow the FUK up" - foul language, ladies don't speak like that.

All I was wanting was a conversation. I'm not angry by people's opinions, they seem to be angry with mine! ha

Shame on her?!

ON HER?!

I'd like to hope that you're being intentionally ironic, upping the ante with this troll-fest perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

As another poster said it's not life or death "I must breast feed my baby now in this restaurant!" - you can plan. Ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

See, this bit here is the heart of the matter.

Caring for a young baby is incredibly hard work. There is so much to do, so much to learn, and so much to plan. With all that going on, why should a mother add any more to her plate with the hassle of "planning" her feeding so that she possibly, maybe doesn't turn some people off their lunch?

Its like other posters have said - if you were to spend your life planning around not offending anybody's sensibilities you'd never leave the house.

Offence is not given, it is only taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I think everyone is being really unkind to the OP. Just because something has been made legal doesn't mean she has to approve.
    I don't like to see breast feeding in public either. Of course I would never complain and I ignore it wherever possible, but given the choice (which I don't have..) I would rather it wasn't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

How firm was the breast?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

annascott wrote: »
    I think everyone is being really unkind to the OP. Just because something has been made legal doesn't mean she has to approve.
    I don't like to see breast feeding in public either. Of course I would never complain and I ignore it wherever possible, but given the choice (which I don't have..) I would rather it wasn't happening.

How sad is it that of all the replies expressing discomfort with seeing a mother naturally feeding her child, they are all from women.

Those two appendages hanging from your chests are there for a purpose, ladies. They're not just for decoration you know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

Was breastfeeding in public illegal at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Was out for lunch in a very busy restaurant today and a woman at the table next to us started breast feeding.

Yeah, I've seen this in McDonalds before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

How sad is it that of all the replies expressing discomfort with seeing a mother naturally feeding her child, they are all from women.

Those two appendages hanging from your chests are there for a purpose, ladies. They're not just for decoration you know...

Not all women want to breastfeed, what's more not all women want to have babies. Being a woman does not mean you want what every other woman wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Was breastfeeding in public illegal at some point?

It all went pear shaped when they let wimans into the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Ah so she should leave the baby go hungry so as you can eat in peace is it?:rolleyes:

I'd rather a mother breast feeding her baby then a mother letting her wee one scream the place down as its hungry being honest.
    You don't have to look in their direction.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I was in a restaurant before and saw a woman change her child's sh***y nappy on the table, now that is disgusting, feeding a hungry baby is not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Im not trying to be unkind.I would like to highlight to the OP though that he/she has an issue,not the breastfeeding mother.Breasts were made to breastfeed babies.That is their purpose.Not to attract men. Not to turn on men.It's to feed babies.
    Some company along the way decided that bottles and formula was the way to go.Much needed for some mothers(I personally couldn't breast feed as my child was sick after birth) but still the primary way for mothers is breast feeding. The fact that someone would be uncomfortable seeing a woman breastfeeding is mindblowing for some of us.Well for me anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

hondasam wrote: »
    Not all women want to breastfeed, what's more not all women want to have babies. Being a woman does not mean you want what every other woman wants.

Yes that is obviously true, but those who do and can breastfeed, because it is not always an option for some, should be allowed to do so without judgment afterall it is a natural act and nothing to be ashamed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I've only read the first 2 pages but have to say I'm surprised its 2 of our ladies that protest this ladies actions. As a man I've been made slightly uncomfortable sometimes if a lady started breastfeeding in my view. My discomfort being needing to remain seated, if I became aroused, for fear of the girl, or her companions thinking I was perving on her. This however is my problem being a hotblooded male, and I would never expect a woman to starve a baby or feed it in a toilet for my sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

jluv wrote: »
    Im not trying to be unkind.I would like to highlight to the OP though that he/she has an issue,not the breastfeeding mother.Breasts were made to breastfeed babies.That is their purpose.Not to attract men. Not to turn on men.It's to feed babies.
    Some company along the way decided that bottles and formula was the way to go.Much needed for some mothers(I personally couldn't breast feed as my child was sick after birth) but still the primary way for mothers is breast feeding. The fact that someone would be uncomfortable seeing a woman breastfeeding is mindblowing for some of us.Well for me anyway..

And all of that is fair enough but how dare you and others tell me I have issues, I need to seek help, I'm insecure, I'm a prude, I'm a child and I should grow the "****" up.

Where did I state that all women should have babies and breastfeed :confused:

I bet she didn't have her rack out which is why you are getting a negative response here.You're making more of it than what it was. She was most likely(as I wasn't there I will just assume) uncovering one breast,not her "rack" to feed her child.Bet you couldn't even see that much of her breast. The idea of it was more an issue for you than what actually happened.Which is why people are asking you to question yourself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

g'em wrote: »
    Why is something that's so fundamentally natural so horrific? What is so 'ignorant' about a woman using her own body to feed her baby? Why do you find this so shocking?
    Having a **** is also fundamentally natural but its not really good manners to drop a log while other people are eating. Time and place for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Cheeky gal if you're saying you're aged between four and 14, yeah, that makes sense. :pac:
    Yeah I shouldn't have gone off on one but I'm sure there are things people say that have you in absolute disbelief. You're saying a woman doing something she is allowed do, by law, is behaving inappropriately and she shouldn't do it, simply because YOU personally find it inappropriate. And that it's "ignorant" - wtf?!
    You don't have kids so you're not qualified to tell mothers that they can be prepared etc. You don't have the first clue. It's not fun when everyone is vehemently disagreeing with you but they're not doing so just to be mean. Your attitude is really objectionable - it's selfish and lacking in understanding: "Breastfeeding is icky to me, therefore it should be prohibited in public". No point in the "A woman shouldn't have her rack out in public" argument either as it's a strawman, her rack is covered. The baby is the main concern here and you seem to be forgetting about them.

Lee, I presume the rhetoric you referred to was Lethal Lady asking should women be punished for the best form of feeding - in a sense though, what she's saying isn't wrong. It's seen by some that there should be limits to breastfeeding a baby. And are people not entitled to go for a nice lunch occasionally? You said you don't think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭vodkababy

I said to give the baby a drink of water in a bottle, babies need drinks sometimes between feeds. I understand not all mothers express milk or carry a bottle with them.

Breastfed babies do not need water. All they need is the breastmilk. It's both for rehydration and as a food.

And as for giving a breastfed baby a bottle, this can sometimes cause nipple confusion which can lead to problems with the baby feeding at the breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

...I have issues, I need to seek help, I'm insecure, I'm a prude, I'm a child and I should grow the "****" up.

Yes yes I agree.

And all of that is fair enough but how dare you and others tell me I have issues, I need to seek help, I'm insecure, I'm a prude, I'm a child and I should grow the "****" up.
    Tried to be nice...You have issues..

Yes that is obviously true, but those who do and can breastfeed, because it is not always an option for some, should be allowed to do so without judgment afterall it is a natural act and nothing to be ashamed of.

I agree but should everyone not be entitled to have their own opinion on it without judgement also?
    As much as the mother is entitled to breastfeed in the restaurant are the paying diners not entitled to complain if they are uncomfortable with it?

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Having a **** is also fundamentally natural but its not really good manners to drop a log while other people are eating. Time and place for everything.
    Irony I assume? Seeing as a few of us also quoted that post from g'em advising responses like the above would be forthcoming, which she was understandably baffled by. It's a really disingenuous argument - you're not comparing like with like: what aspect of taking a dump feeds a baby?

pragmatic1 wrote: »

That's why there are toilets provided for such a purpose.

I agree but should everyone not be entitled to have their own opinion on it without judgement also?
    As much as the mother is entitled to breastfeed in the restaurant are the paying diners not entitled to complain if they are uncomfortable with it?
    Not to management.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Not to management.

what would management do if a mother was feeding her baby and say ten customers walked out? Could they ask the mother to go to a private area?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement