Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Feeding in Restaurant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Maybe she just needed to Cover up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That unreal, i would of complained to the Manager.
    'Course you would - that is the type of compassionless, selfish person you are. The manager would have politely told you to fuk off though.

/shrug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Har har. I breastfed my baby today in a busy restaurant today. Maybe she's talking about me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

We live in a society where breasts in a sexual context is more acceptable than breasts being used for their primary function - I don't use this term often, but it's a pretty repressed attitude.
    Although I agree about the sexual context being more ´normal´ or acceptable (as it´s more familiar), I don´t think the shock people experience when they see others breastfeeding in public is due to a disdain for breastfeeding per se. I think it´s just that breasts are seen as ´private´ and should be covered up. It´s not ´normal´ hence not acceptable to see a stranger´s boobs in public hence the shock. I´d find it really weird if I saw someone breastfeeding in public too. I wouldn´t think they´re immoral or whatever because of it but it would make me uncomfortable. If I ever have kids and breastfeed, nothing in this world would make me do it in public. And I don´t buy into some posters´ suggestions that there are breastfeeding emergencies. It´s not that hard to plan ahead

Actually what I find so bizarre is that there tends to be more outrage about women breastfeeding in public than there is about people having sex in public and I can tell you I've seen more people having sex in nightclubs than I've seen women breastfeeding in restaurants, yet it seems to be breastfeeding that draws more outrage from a certain cohort in society. The mind boggles.
    Because having sex in nightclubs is cool, don't ya know - and it's far more important to be cool than to feed a hungry baby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Was out for lunch in a very busy restaurant today and a woman at the table next to us started breast feeding. Couldn't believe it. I thought it was so ignorant. I looked around at people's reactions and everyone seemed shocked. Obviously it's not something people haven't seen before, but in a restaurant while people are eating?

There's a time and a place.

I wonder if the majority of people feel this way. Going by people's facial expressions in the restaurant they weren't too impressed.

I've an idea. Next time you fancy a meal out. Ask for it to take away. Then head in and sit on a smelly public toilet, and eat it there. No? Thought not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Kirby wrote: »
    The issue is the weird double standard that it would appear 90% of the thread are ignoring.

If the woman in question had her breasts on display without a baby, she would be making some people uncomfortable and would probably be asked to leave. Or she could be arrested for public indecency. Why does a baby suddenly make it perfectly okay?

Who said anything about the woman having her breasts on display :confused:

I would assume the baby's head was covering her breast. She wasn't being an exhibitionist, she was simply feeding her child as nature intended.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

But a person has the right to have a bit of dinner without another person in the place exposing themselves.

No they do not in the case of breastfeeding. There are several laws that make this clear. A mother has the right to breastfeed in any public place she feels like doing so. If someone has a problem with this their only right is to not look or to quietly leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

hondasam wrote: »
    Do small babies have growth spurts? I would imagine if the child was more than a year old it would be eating solid food.

Babies have growth spurts at intervals from about 3 weeks old onwards AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Breast is best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

The issue is the weird double standard that it would appear 90% of the thread are ignoring.

If the woman in question had her breasts on display without a baby, she would be making some people uncomfortable and would probably be asked to leave. Or she could be arrested for public indecency. Why does a baby suddenly make it perfectly okay?

If a woman has her breasts on display without a baby and for no obvious reason, that would generally be considered contextually inappropriate (assuming it's not a strip club or whatever). If a woman is feeding her baby that's generally (although not always, apparently) considered contextually appropriate. As in, there's a reason or function for it - she's feeding her child.

It's not a double standard. It's common-fúcking-sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Didn't realise people weren't entitled to their own opinion on Boards.

Some of you would want to relax. Especially you Dudess with the foul language.

Breast feed elsewhere, not a restaurant.

I breast fed my youngest until she was 2 years and 1 month old.

I breast fed her in restaurants, in pubs, in mass, in shopping centres, hospitals, airplanes, airports, other peoples houses...............the list is endless. Never was I or my child subjected to such an ignorant attitude as you displayed towards that woman today.

Your attitude is moronic and you display a narrowmindedness that is completely shocking and quite sad really. I feel sorry for you and those around you that have to listen to your vile rantings

Jess16 wrote: »
    Non-parents preferences deserve equal respect and consideration too and in my experience, it's precisely members of the Yummy Mummy brigade who are only too happy to complain when something irks them.
    I agree there are some places it's better not to bring children - museums, fancy restaurants, but it's not always easy to get a babysitter though - and parents of very small babies are entitled to get out for a nice lunch now and again. Plus, some restaurants should be family-friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Why should the mother give two sh!ts about what one or two prudes think about her feeding her child.

In 2012, why should anyone still be so backward as to be shocked at seeing a woman breastfeeding. It beggars belief!

I'm just saying I would take other peoples feelings into consideration that's all, these other people were paying to have a meal and might not want to see someone breastfeeding their baby.
    I have seen thread on here where people were outraged at kids in restaurants.
    I'm not a prude I assure you.
    iguana wrote: »
    Again no. If the baby is hungry what good will water do?

I'm a mother myself and we all have had to make compromises at times, it called planning ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 IcedJade

Is The OP being overly-sensitive and a bit of a dramatic ninny? Probably. But a person has the right to have a bit of dinner without another person in the place exposing themselves.

Personally, I'm fine with it. Doesn't bother me at all. But I completely understand if it bothered other people and I also understand why some people find it inappropriate. It's not difficult to understand and alot of people in the thread are just being obtuse for the sake of it and in traditional After Hours fashion are just crapping all over the OP.

Do you not think the issue is the OP's lack of knowledge and exposure to breastfeeding? If more people were comfortable to do it in public (assuming attitudes changed) the public would just have to get comfortable with it.

Its something different. Where there is difference, ignorance usually follows.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

Do small babies have growth spurts? I would imagine if the child was more than a year old it would be eating solid food.

wtf?:confused:

It's not a double standard. It's common-fúcking-sense.
    Yep, it's not a double standard at all. That poster is going on about exposed boobs - now THAT'S obtuse for the sake of it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm a mother myself and we all have had to make compromises at times, it called planning ahead.

But no mother needs to make this compromise. Just like I don't need to cover my hair because some strict muslim up the street doesn't like how I dress. Breastfeeding mothers don't have to worry about when and where they can feed. They can just do it and if anyone has hang ups about that, it's their own problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

But the beauty of breastfeeding is that you don't have to do all the bottle sterilizing, bottle warming, carrying round of extra baggage etc.

Why should the mother go to all that extra hassle when she has a perfectly clean, portable feeding system right there on her body. There's no compromise needed as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You can get milk from boobs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

iguana wrote: »
    But no mother needs to make this compromise. Just like I don't need to cover my hair because some strict muslim up the street doesn't like how I dress. Breastfeeding mothers don't have to worry about when and where they can feed. They can just do it and if anyone has hang ups about that, it's their own problem.

I agree with you totally but I would not do it if I thought it made other people uncomfortable, that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I'm all for breast feeding and applaud mothers who do it.

The world would be a way better place if we could masturbate in public, guys and girls. Just sayin' like, It really would be, not that that has anything to do with the topic at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

A lot of women who breastfeed do so exclusively as in they dont bother with pumps and bottles etc. Are they selfish for providing the best possible start for a baby and not taking into consideration those who may be offended when they see such a natural act taking place?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Firstly about the exposing thing- I would rightly assume the woman was not topless in the restaurant.

Also fair enough people don't find breastfeeding attractive or pleasant or whatever. Some people don't like to see overweight people in skimpy clothes, some people don't like to see same sex couples kiss. Just look away and get on with your life! Don't let it ruin your lunch and your day.

If a woman has her breasts on display without a baby and for no obvious reason, that would generally be considered contextually inappropriate (assuming it's not a strip club or whatever). If a woman is feeding her baby that's generally (although not always, apparently) considered contextually appropriate. As in, there's a reason or function for it - she's feeding her child.
    This (contextually appropriate vs. inappropriate) is a good way to put it. I think it should be legal for women to breastfeed in public but I´d still find it inappropriate. Unless there was some kind of life and death issue, people getting their boobs out in public would make me uncomfortable.
    it's not always easy to get a babysitter though - and parents of very small babies are entitled to get out for a nice lunch now and again. Plus, some restaurants should be family-friendly.
    I don´t think anyone´s entitled to get out for a nice lunch :confused: Would a family-family restaurant be one where customers could expect to see breastfeeding etc more often? This sounds a little like those baby-friendly cinemas (where parents bring young babies that may cry, need feeding etc) - then, everyone who goes in there knows what to expect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

To be honest I cannot recall the last time I saw a woman breastfeed in public. I really can't. :confused:

I'm sure it happens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When breast feeding breasts are not on displayed. Generally the mother is suttle and the babies face covers any Expressed boob. Can never understand people who have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Firstly, I wasn't "offended".

Secondly, I'm not trolling. I genuinely don't understand why she couldn't have done this in her car, in the bathroom, somewhere more private, but a restaurant?

And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, the people I were with said they found it shocking too. And no, they're not "morons" for feeling this way. It's a matter of opinion and I'm entitled to it, just because you guys don't agree doesn't make me a "troll".

Birds of a feather........

Are they selfish for providing the best possible start for a baby
    yes, yes they are :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

yes, yes they are :rolleyes:

Whats with the :rolleyes: leehoffmann

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement